Hit Me With Your Reco's

Discussion in 'Rest of the World' started by BeanBump, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeanBump

BeanBump Dec 14, 2016 California

Hey Conspirators,

Yours truly is embarking on a little tour of Europe in March and I was hoping some of you may be able to recommend some good local brews in the cities I'm hitting:

- Rome
    - Venice
    - Barcelona
    - San Sebastian
    - Porto
    - Lisbon
    - Islay (pretty sure the options here are just scotch and Islay Ales Co.)

Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks!

2. LiamoMill

LiamoMill May 11, 2017 Ireland
    Trader

BeanBump likes this.
  3. BeanBump

4. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Rome: there's really a lot to cover here, too much in fact. It'll depend on where you're staying, and whether you care if the local brew is on tap at the brewery, or at a bar, or out of a bottle. I'm sure there's a Rome thread. I'd highly look into visiting the Trastevere neighborhood and stuff to the south of there, and I wouldn't miss Johnny's Off License for bottles in the Campo de' Fiori. There's a lot to do, and in Rome almost everything is good (although I should note that I was not that fond of their BrewDog).

Venice: there's really not much to cover here.
    ~ Visit Pub d'Aldo to have some beers and take some home. Aldo has the best selection I found.
    ~ Il Santo Bevitore is not far from Aldo's and is more of a "real" pub.
    ~ Birreria la Corte is fantastic, and to be honest I enjoyed sitting outside in the courtyard eating their pizza just as much as I did their beer.
    ~ Do not bother seeking out Beershop Venicia, their selection is very limited, and I think, more expensive that those at Pub D'Aldo

Barcelona: probably even more complicated than Rome.
    ~ Kaelderkold: Great tiny beer bar with an impressive selection.
    ~ Garage: Cool place, great beers. Not far from...
    ~ BierCaB: For both an excellent tap selection and bottles at their shop next door
    ~ Mikkeler and BrewDog: are both nearby if you like that kind of stuff.
    ~ BlackLab Brewhouse: Beers on the beach are hard to beat!
    ~ Barcelona Beer Company: is worth a trip. Interesting space to look at.
    ~ Ale & Hop: is nice. Small, good selection, but not necessarily worth a trip unless you're headed out to Edge Brewing.
    There are more, you'll need to do some research to fond what you're looking for. I'm pretty sure there's a few Barcelona threads as well.

#4 NeroFiddled, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Redrover and BeanBump like this.
  5. BeanBump

Thank you!

6. Taboada

Taboada Oct 22, 2015 Spain

Hi!
    When exactly are you coming to Barcelona? In March takes place one of the biggest craft beer events in Spain and is located in Barcelona, so a lot of things to do that week in the city.

About Porto: Best places for craft beer are: Letraría Craft Beer Garden (Owned by Letra so expect around 80% of their own beer on tap. Big Beer Garden if you want to drink outside), Catraio Craft Beer Shop (Small place but very dinamic with a lot of events and runed by amazing and friendly people), Armazém da Cerveja (Cozy shop with a nice patio and 8 taps). Nortada opened a Brewpub recently with 8 taps and reduced prices (around 1,20 € for 20 cl.) so it´s not a Craft Beer Mecca and beer quality is just OK but is good for ticking and the place itself worths a visit. And finally, for Belgian Beer Gulden Draak Bierhuis obviously lot of beer from Brouwerij Van Steenberge but they have also a good bottle selection.

Cheers!

7. BeanBump

Awesome, thank you!

I'll be in Barcelona March 9th through 12th

8. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Jul 1, 2009 Scotland

Islay Ales brew the most undrinkable crap in Scotland, so best to stick to the single malts when you are there.

BeanBump likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.