I Miss Beer Fests

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Nov 13, 2020.

1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Admin (16,957) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Society

Beer fests are an integral part of the beer industry, its community, and our business. I miss everything about them.

Read the full article: I Miss Beer Fests

#1 BeerAdvocate, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2020
    bonsainut, Roguer, yokels and 14 others like this.
  2. GimmeAGuinness

GimmeAGuinness Zealot (588) Sep 1, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society

"I have little faith in our collective ability to get our shit together any time soon. "

Agreed. Here's to hoping, though. Can't wait to get back to working the real live fests. I miss the crew!

Cheers, everyone. :beers:

3. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (837) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I get the love for fests but I just dont enjoy them. Maybe I can try again once we are allowed back.

I was going to try to go the the final Stoudts fest as I always enjoyed those.

Stay Safe and Enjoy

4. beer_thusiast

beer_thusiast Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2015 Missouri

Beer fests were fun when I first got into craft beer, but became less fun because the ones I attended mostly had regularly distributed beers that in many instances I had already tried or that didn’t interest me.

5. beersampler6

beersampler6 Poo-Bah (1,888) Apr 4, 2018 Michigan
    Society Trader

Have never been to a beer fest and I had big plans to attend 2-3 this year. Then COVID hit...

I agree that the #1 priority should be everyone staying safe and that may mean postponing everything for several months to come.

6. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,577) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Half Acre.
    Big North. 2021.
    I'm coming for ya.
    - Ricky Bobby

Urk1127, jonphisher and FBarber like this.
  7. BattleRoadBrewer

BattleRoadBrewer Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2005 Massachusetts

I miss fests so much! Favorite things:
    Trying as many different beers as possible.
    Getting back in line over and over for a popular great beer.
    Chillin' at a booth with a great beer that the crowds haven't discovered.
    Two fisting.
    And #1: Friends.

eppCOS and KRug like this.
  8. KRug

KRug Champion (820) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I haven't been to one, but I'm still looking forward to the virtual EBF! Sure, it'll be a very different experience, but I can't imagine it not being fun anyways

Jaminrice, BigAggie89 and Todd like this.
  9. RUSSRGR

RUSSRGR Initiate (120) Sep 18, 2020 Delaware

I fear that next year will not be any better for fests or any other type of outing. I keep trying to tell others that beer kills Covid-19, but I am not sure they believe me ... yet.

KRug, Urk1127 and Junior like this.
  10. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (496) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

I still haven’t been to one I haven’t enjoyed... some are overwhelmed by crowds and drunks, but I don’t give a shit.

Typically beer festies, for me, involve day drinking with my closest friends and family- hence the enjoyment.

Cheers!
    Maybe next year!

followerofmen and Todd like this.
  11. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (924) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Half Time Beverage doesn't ship to MI.
    S.O.L this time :confused:

But they do ship to OH, @superspak :wink: :beers:

12. beer_beer

beer_beer Devotee (407) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Let's keep the fire burning!

Todd likes this.
  13. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,718) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

-despite many years in beer-related pursuits, my first big beer fest was the BA sponsored IPA fest in Brooklyn, 2019. After meeting you, your brother and the crew I intend to volunteer as a crew member for the next one.
    I will be patient. That day will come.

Todd likes this.
  14. onezendad

onezendad Initiate (37) Apr 16, 2018 Canada (ON)

I have been much more particular about festivals in the last few years but I do love them. I was at the last 2 EBFs and would likely have attended my 3rd next year. I was also thinking about hitting HOMES Nucleate festival this year. Boooo.

Locally, have been going to Cask Days (over 300 cask only releases) for 5 years with the same group of buddies and always had a great time. And missing Witchstock by Bellwoods, would have been the 3rd year. Fingers crossed for 2021 but I am not holding my breath.

Todd likes this.
  15. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (419) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Great theme and graphics on this. Cheers, everyone. (No, I won't be attempting to virtually drink with you from midnight to 5 a.m. in my time zone, but there in spirit etc.)

Todd likes this.
  16. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

From a bit of reading you guys pull in ~$1 million USD per fest incorrect/correct?

17. Todd

Todd Founder (6,207) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Depends on the size of the in-person fest, which have ranged from around 2,500 to 12,000 attendees. We were hosting around three fests per year with plans to expand them in 2020/21.

traction likes this.
  18. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

Damn good money for drinking beer with friends. You were smart not to stick to 100% web development so you were able to meet industry contacts and set up outside events. No one who knows beer doesn't know BA.

The money is likely in merch and beer not me kicking you $20 to be Society

19. bonsainut

bonsainut Initiate (33) Oct 23, 2014 California

I am cautiously optimistic that we will be in a different coronavirus environment come February.

As the part owner of a Chicago bar, let me guarantee you that you aren't the only one waiting for things to return to normal!

20. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,629) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’ve never been to a beer fest, the big one here in Greensboro usually falls into our week at the beach.

21. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Meyvn (1,013) Sep 4, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

Appreciated being able to work the old fests. Always forgot I had a job to come home to on Sunday. That & too many photos of Todd & mini-Me floating around the internet, so I had to bow out. :grinning:

Todd likes this.
  22. Todd

Todd Founder (6,207) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

And we appreciated your being part of the fest crew. Hope all is well and hopefully we'll see you at an in-person fest in Brooklyn one day!

23. jamesloc

jamesloc Initiate (57) Aug 8, 2018 New York
    Trader

I hope theres a pastry town!!

24. hudsonvalleyslim

hudsonvalleyslim Disciple (305) May 29, 2003 Massachusetts

I miss 'em as well. Been to many BA fests, but the most memorable was an early one in Boston, before the Cyclorama I think. Never thought the forums would be something more than a few glances. Garret Oliver was at this one, best-dressed dude in the place. Interesting takes on the industry as well. But when an obviously buzzed Sam Calagione stepped up, slammed down his beer and shouted, "FUCK WINE!" it became a rock show. He had his crew hustling through the seats, sloshing beer into our cups an he ranted and raved. Incredible!

dbrauneis and Todd like this.
  25. imagingh

imagingh Devotee (444) May 12, 2011 New Hampshire
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Second this one! Really miss working the BA fests and attending others. Can't wait!

Todd likes this.