Ideas for Citra

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by BigJoeC, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigJoeC

BigJoeC Initiate (114) Jan 22, 2011 New Jersey

Im getting a bunch of Citra pellets. Anyone have ideas? I know pale and IPA. Kinda thinking of a SMASH using it.

2. mjord23

mjord23 Initiate (133) Jan 3, 2011 Connecticut

SMaSH is a great call with Citra, but I've also really enjoyed pairing it with Mosaic (and a touch of Columbus, too -- about a 3:3:1 ratio has worked well for me).

3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,860) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Find the Zombie Dust clone recipe that has been posted several times in this forum. If you have never had Zombie Dust, you've missed the best citra beer alive.

inchrisin and MarkGP like this.
  4. wspscott

wspscott Savant (900) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

Golden Promise and Citra Pale Ale or IPA depending on how big of a beer you want.

If you want to be crazy, throw 3724 at that Smash, I love hoppy saisons

5. Scope4Beer

Scope4Beer Initiate (156) Sep 28, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Use a lot of it. I love Citra, alone or paired. I love to pair it with Galaxy.

6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,782) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Seek out melvin citradamus, I loved z dust, but citradamus is my new favorite all citra beer.
    I use citra in all of my ipas in some form. I like it with chinook, ctz, and centennial for something more west coastish, and with galaxy and mosaic for something more new school east coastesque. Its wonderful by itself, but it plays well with damn near any other high aa hop variety.

PapaGoose03 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  7. Teton

Teton Initiate (80) Jan 18, 2013 Colorado

I made a saison like beer using citra and Brett-Sacc-trois that friends loved. If you're looking for something that isn't an ipa or pale, try a saison malt bill with sacc-trois or where da funk from omega. I think I did an ounce at flameout and 2 oz. dry hop. It came out great. Yeast and hop flavors paired nicely.

inchrisin likes this.
  8. GUNSLINGER

GUNSLINGER Initiate (66) Nov 18, 2013 Colorado

Smash that shit up. And get some other hops and Mix it
    Up too!

I've been making some delicious APA's lately with citra/galaxy/mosaic/mandarina Bavaria/Columbus mixed together.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  9. GUNSLINGER

GUNSLINGER Initiate (66) Nov 18, 2013 Colorado

Oh, yeah- I love making Belgians and saisons with Amarillo and citra.

pinyin and Scope4Beer like this.
  10. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (496) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Really? I never heard of a Belgian with those hops. Pale or dark brew?

11. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (496) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

I like using citra with best ale or marris otter 2 row, very little Carmel ,like .5 lb or less of c60 or 40, then pairing with most everything above listed, except mosaic, can't stand it.
    Cascade ,centennial and chinook are my favorites with citra,
    Have fun

12. inchrisin

inchrisin Zealot (583) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Zombie Dust is close enough to a SMaSH that you'd have fun with something like that.

13. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (490) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Have you had Toppling Goliath's Pseduo Sue (the Iowa version)? That is all-citra as well and IMO, blows ZD out of the water. And then the double dry hopped versions, man... Doesn’t get any better! Got to get some if you have never had!

I have brewed that ZD clone floating around on this forum quite a long time ago… It came out quite good, however, I don’t think I would do it again without some tweaks… Like removing the melanodin malt from the grist and reducing the crystal from 60L to 20L in the same quantity. I think that alone would make it pop a bit more and improve.

Zombie Dust seems a bit “dated” these days.

I just made a recipe that will be all Citra… It’s just 83% Golden Promise, 12.5% Munich (8L) and 4.2% Carapils… Using 1056 as the yeast. Simple, but should be delicious.

pinyin likes this.
  14. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (923) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

Fresh Squeezed uses Citra and Mosaic about evenly for late additions and dry hop, but bitters with Nugget...what a great shelf beer!!! I've made the same beer with Columbus and its a little more dank, which is perfect in my book :slight_smile:

Space Dust, despite being brewed by AB InBev, is still a winner in my book...Chinook to bitter, Citra and Amarillo everywhere else. Always a good beer to brew IMO! They provide the ingredient list on their webpage... http://www.elysianbrewing.com/elysian-beers/space-dust-ipa/

donspublic and mjord23 like this.
  15. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,860) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I have had PseudoSue a few years ago at the pub. I didn't think it was all that great in comparison to ZD. However, on my trip I was able to pick up some bottles at a store in Des Moines which I didn't drink for several weeks after taking them home. The bottles were great, so I'm guessing that beer that I had at the brewery was too fresh. (I'm one of thoise theorists who thinks that IPAs need 3-4 weeks of conditioning to reach peak flavor.) I still like ZD a little bit better though.

I also have brewed the ZD clone recipe (the extract version once), and I liked every bit of it. I think it was pretty much an exact match to the real beer, although it is so infrequent that I am able to get the real thing that doing a comparison when going from memory about one or the other (real vs. clone) has an inherent error risk for its accuracy.

16. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (56) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

Wyeast 3031 Brett Saison with Citra late hops and dry hop.

17. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (162) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana

Grew up in Indiana and love Three Floyds, but I was underwhelmed by Zombie Dust. TBH, if it weren't so hyped, I wouldn't have thought twice about not ever drinking it a second time. I'll take an Alpha King every time, and that's much easier to find. As I got more into craft and home brewing, I realized why ZD was so underwhelming to me: I don't really like Citra on its own. I find it to be one dimensional and boring. It even gets grating after a while, making me wish my glass were empty so I could drink something else.

With that very unpopular opinion out of the way... I do like Citra, but I would blend it with another, non-fruity hop to help round out the flavor.

KeyWestGator and PapaGoose03 like this.
  18. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (749) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

"Ideas for Citra"

Citra will give you ideas :slight_smile:

19. KeyWestGator

KeyWestGator Zealot (537) Jan 21, 2013 Florida
    Trader

We share the same unpopular opinion. 100% citra beers are not my favorite. In addition to Zombie Dust and Pseudo Sue, Cycle Crank is a beer I don't enjoy as much as the masses. Mixed with others, it's great.

For some reason though, I just brewed an SMaSH pale ale and citra beer. To really be sure, I guess. Should be ready this weekend.

20. Hop_it_up

Hop_it_up Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2017 New York

I am a huge fan of citra and with spring right around the corner, it's a perfect way to brighten up a beer. Besides IPAI've had a lot of success using it in Reds and pilsners.

21. Jaguar10301

Jaguar10301 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2010 Maine

I brewed an all Citra beer once, it was ok, but not my favorite. I guess I like some more complexity...

22. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Devotee (408) May 2, 2006 Utah

Personally, I think Citra can work really well by itself. I brewed up a Session PA/ IPA (4.3% ABV) using 75% Rahr 2 row, 21% Rye malt, and 4% Crystal 50/60, Ringwood yeast, and Citra in the boil (1 oz 30 min, 1 oz 5 min, 1 oz 1 min), hopstand (1.4 oz for 30 min at 165 F) and dry hopping (2 oz). This beer has a great hop nose and flavor, even after being in the keg for nearly 6 months. Cheers!

23. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (524) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

A couple things. Make a chocolate stout dosed with late citra hops for a chocolate citrus mash-up.

Make a wheat beer but change the hops to Citra on the back end.

24. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (162) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana

Awesome idea. I did something similar and am loving the results. I did a hoppy porter with 2# pale chocolate malt, but I used Waimea, Azacca, and Amarillo, not Citra. I wonder how the black barley in a stout would play with the hops, though. Might clash, I'd think, so I went with a strong porter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.