Independent "Mexican-Style" Lager?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Sonoma_Jer, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Sonoma_Jer

Sonoma_Jer Initiate (105) Jan 8, 2018 California

I'm looking for a mexican import in the vein of a Corona, Pacifico, Victoria, etc. but high-quality and independently owned. Not AB/IB, MC, Constellation, etc. Any ideas?

2. HeilanCoo

HeilanCoo Initiate (46) Sep 11, 2014 North Carolina

I can vouch for some but not all of the brands on this list, but what you're searching for are Vienna lagers.

3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,307) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Beerito from Oskar Blues comes to mind.

DaverCS, KentT, Bear1964 and 9 others like this.
  4. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (670) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

21st amendment and OBlues make one that's not too bad. The OB is much darker than I thought it would be. For the price there are many other things I would rather buy.

Enjoy

HorseheadsHophead and FBarber like this.
  5. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,662) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Member

Now that there's Melvin distro in CA, Heyzeus is another option.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  6. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,279) Sep 15, 2014 New York

El Sully from 21st Amendment is pretty good.

GetMeAnIPA, Urk1127, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  7. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,034) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

It seems to be a bit of a trend right now. Several regional breweries around here are making them, so, I suspect several of yours are as well.

meefmoff likes this.
  8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,139) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Mexican Logger from Ska brewing is pretty good.

9. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,322) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio

#9 GOBLIN, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  10. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,916) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Is it important to you that it actually be imported from Mexico? If not then any cold AAL will do, as I don't believe there are any specifically Mexican flavor profiles or styles. There are plenty that are labeled that way that are really nothing special. Might be exceptions with Jalepenos I suppose, but that doesn't really make them Mexican either.

FBarber likes this.
  11. monkist

monkist Defender (640) Dec 7, 2016 Hungary

What about something from Cerveceria Mexicana S.A., Mexicali for instance?
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11174/
    People rate most of their lagers "poor" or "awful" (just like Corona or Pacifico) but the Day of the Dead series I had from them were quite okay - were West Coast style IPAs and W-IPAs though.

12. Psilocybeer

Psilocybeer Aspirant (206) Jul 11, 2017 California

13. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,176) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Am also a little curious about this. Obviously there are a decent number of American craft brewers making the style, but the OP is specifically looking for Mexican imports. I don't know if I've seen any either. I've seen normal "American" styles like stouts and pales from Mexico, but no craft versions of their native lagers.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  14. Sonoma_Jer

Sonoma_Jer Initiate (105) Jan 8, 2018 California

Thanks for all the replies. It's for a restaurant. We were carrying El Sully from 21st Amendment. Good beer and it sold well. I thought it'd be cool to find something similar in an import. It's not what I like, but it's a popular style and goes with our food. I'm trying to move our beer list to only supporting independents (I'm even going to lose Lagunitas after being a long time fan). People ask sometimes if we have Corona, Pacifico, Tecate, etc. I don't have anything against large multinationals, per se, but given a choice of where to send our money, I'd rather it go to a small producer.

Junior and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,447) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

I thought that perhaps some folks would be interested in knowing that Sierra Nevada will soon be releasing a Mexican Lager as part of a variety pack later this year.

@SierraTerence recently posted: “Sierraveza is a Mexican-style lager...”

Cheers!

16. BeanBump

BeanBump Aspirant (253) Dec 14, 2016 California

DonObiWan likes this.
  17. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (670) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

BeanBump likes this.
  18. BeanBump

The 40oz was only available for the initial release. Ive seen it in 22's and 6-packs cans since then

DonObiWan likes this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

And what are the 6-pack prices? Is it comparable to a 6-pack of Negra Modelo?

Cheers!

BeanBump likes this.
  20. BeanBump

It'll vary depending on where you buy from but its safe to bet theyd be more than Modelo. Probably in the $10 to $12 range

elgiacomo and JackHorzempa like this.
  21. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Meyvn (1,466) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming
    Premium Member

Heyzeus......... by Melvin.

22. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (197) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I love OB Beerito and looking forward to Sierra Nevada's version.

If you can't find an independent Mexican lager that is distributed in the US - why force it?
    I'd love to have a Bohemia right now.
    Just like you can't buy a lot of independent Japanese beers in the US at Japanese restaurants.

23. FBarber

That is something I will look forward too! Too bad its just going to be in a variety pack.

SierraTerence likes this.
  24. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

I would suggest that we should feel lucky that Sierra Nevada is willing to package this sort of beer at all. After reading their 2018 release schedule it appears that Sierra Nevada is following the same playbook as Stone, Victory,... and doubling down on productizing hoppy beers.

If you ever are in the Asheville area I would highly recommend a visit to the Mills River taproom. They serve a more varied product line on draft there. I had the pleasure of drinking a draft Kolsch when I was there:

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-665.546225/#post-5736909

Cheers!

P.S. The Sierra Nevada Kolsch will also be part of the variety pack. I would prefer a standalone 6-pack of the Kolsch as a seasonal release but at least I can get it as part of the variety pack.

25. FBarber

Oh, I am quite happy and ever happier to hear that the Kolsch will be making an appearance in that pack as well! This (I'm assuming is the summer pack) is sounding better and better. And I would love to make it to one of their breweries some day.

I am curious - where did Terrence mention these beers? I seem to have missed that.

#25 FBarber, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    ecpho likes this.
  26. JackHorzempa

Premium Member

FBarber and ecpho like this.
  27. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

bubseymour likes this.
  28. mudbug

mudbug Defender (612) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Full Sail's Session Cervesa is very good

jakecattleco likes this.
  29. BoomKentucky

BoomKentucky Aspirant (229) Mar 22, 2013 Kentucky

30. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (802) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)

I've been to Mexico almost every year for the past ten years and have tried some great craft "Mexican" Lagers, but I would be willing to be that none of them have ever been distributed outside of Mexico.

My two-cents? Leave the Corona, Dos Equis, Tecate, etc. for the fishes and stick to the Pacifico. It's a far better beer than most of the widely distributed Mexican Lagers. Victoria isn't bad either but I think Pacifico comes out on top.

If you want to break away from that kind of beer, Mexico is also pretty big into brewing dunkels. Modelo Negra is a popular one that comes to mind, but there are many more.

31. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (166) Mar 14, 2007 California

TonyLema1, GetMeAnIPA, ESHBG and 4 others like this.
  32. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

This pack looks great and I can't wait either.

33. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (388) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

34. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,256) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Someone still has to explain to me what a "Mexican-style" lager is and how it differs from the standard US-brewed adjunct lager beer. The best-selling imports of this "style", like Constellation's Modelo Especial and Corona, were clearly inspired by US AAL's of the era (early 20th century), in the case of the Grupo Modelo brands by a German-trained brewer who had worked previously for Anheuser-Busch and went to Mexico during the US Prohibition era.

While Corona and the rest of the Mexican AAL imports (owned by Constellation, AB and Heineken) play up their "imported/vacation/beach beer" PR image, it's sad to see so many so-called "craft" brewers in the US use this sort of nonsense marketing to sell what they used to call "fizzy yellow beer".

Nothing wrong with such beers if that's what one likes, just puzzling why the "craft" brewers feel they have to use this "Mexican" (i.e., "not American"?) angle to sell them. Brewing with corn as an adjunct does not make a beer "Mexican", seeing as US brewers have been doing it for a century and a half (and the turn of the century Mexican breweries were, IIRC, using rice as an adjunct according to 100 Years of Brewing).

Grupo Modelo owned a malt house in Idaho (same town as AB's IIRC - not sure if that went to ABI or Constellation after the DoJ deal) and that conspiracy-minded, ex-wrestler governor of MN once led a Minnesota trade group to Mexico and noted that GM used MN-grown corn in Corona. Very unlikely any appreciable quantity of hops are grown in Mexico, leaving----- water as the primary native ingredient in those beers?

#34 jesskidden, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  35. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (824) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Craft brewers use marketing to sell their beer? Tell me it ain't so.

36. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (197) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Hi Terence - when will the SN website have info on this new beer? Is it more amber like Oscar Blues Beerito or closer to a pale lager?

SierraTerence likes this.
  37. jesskidden

"Marketing"
    doesn't necessary mean the "craft" brewers need to follow the macro brewers/importers' fiction that beer imported from -or, in this case, in the "style" of :rolling_eyes:- Mexico is somehow superior to the same style beers, brewed with the same ingredients, within the borders of the United States.

Of course, with the large craft brewers experiencing market share lose - anything goes.

#37 jesskidden, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  38. zid

zid Savant (924) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

You know this of course, and it's not the underlying point of your post, but the craft brewers are simply following the money with regard to what ("macro") beers are experiencing sales growth rather than sales decline. I would think that Constellation is running a marathon with their portfolio while craft brewers are running half a sprint, but we'll see.

To your point, since UK brewers are brewing their versions of "American IPAs," I suppose American craft brewers can now rebrand their IPAs as "English IPA" and users of this website will not be annoyed or confused in the slightest. :wink:

39. jesskidden

Not only do I know it, I just edited my post (before I read yours, I swear :wink:) to reflect that thought.

(Not at home and having difficulty using the wife's laptop to post...)

Bitterbill, zid and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  40. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (166) Mar 14, 2007 California

Closer to pale lager, not an amber lager... We are getting all the sell sheets approved currently and should have it on the web by the end of the month.