Is all "bomber" packaging a rip off?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jeffgott, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

It only becomes a "rip off" after a price is attached to it. Otherwise, it's just beer in a 22 oz. bottle. Beer costs what it costs.

charlzm and CountCitra like this.
  2. jeffgott

jeffgott Pooh-Bah (1,791) Feb 15, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Not ready to give up craft beer. The question was simply a comparison of bottling formats within craft.

3. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

:rolling_eyes:

4. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

No, nice way to try a beer for a few bucks without buying 5 other beers you don't like.

5. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

The brewer of Heady Topper choses to sell his beer for well under what he could. That is his choice, more power to him. Other brewers choose to charge about what the market will let them. That is their choice, more power to them also.

charlzm likes this.
  6. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

I just picked up a bomber of Fremont Spring Elixir, a limited 10.5% triple IPA celebrating a local drug store's 125th anniversary, for $3.99. In fact, a lot of bombers out here are in the $4-$6 range.

So short answer, no. I think it depends on where you live. Most of you are probably paying too much.

woemad, zestd, CyPotter and 1 other person like this.
  7. bleakies

bleakies Maven (1,319) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Sorry if that came off as snotty, but this is a topic that's been done to death here. Bomber's are a more expensive format by definition. Whether or not it's a ripoff depends on how valuable you find the beer in question. My favorite brewery, Pretty Things, is bomber-only. It's not cheap (and I'm not well-heeled) but I've never felt ripped off by them.

charlzm and fearfactory like this.
  8. HopBackGorilla

HopBackGorilla Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 New York

I feking despise Bombers. Worst format ever. Especially the higher abv one's. I would much rather see them sell individual 12 oz bottles or 4/6 packs than 22oz usually pricey as Fek, Bombers.

beerindaglass and Gemini6 like this.
  9. neurobot01

neurobot01 Maven (1,253) Jan 25, 2014 California

If you're going to complain, at least complain factually. I've bought several bombers of Arrogant Bastard in the last week for $3.54, and will likely go buy some more soon.

charlzm and lambpasty like this.
  10. jeffgott

Pooh-Bah Trader

sure. I'm still a bit of a newbie here and had not seen the topic b4 but I would imagine it wasn't the 1st thread. Value is all relative to the individual as there are many people who think a 1st class seat that costs 3x a coach seat on a plane is good value because u get free drinks, a wider seat, and u have shorter lines at the rest room ;-).

11. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

yes.

historically, there have been legitimate reasons for use of bombers (availability of bottling equipment) etc, and surely there are still good / fair / however you want to put it reasons that some breweries price their bombers so much higher per ounce than either the average 12ozer or even their own 12oz offerings. and surely some do it because they can, and perception among consumers ("$7 is cheap for what i'm getting!") helps them along. is that unethical? maybe, maybe not. pretty subjective.

but really, so what? vote with your dollar. if you still buy the overpriced bomber, it means you wanted it that badly. what's wrong with that?

sludgegnome, RobertConway and Jaycase like this.
  12. jeffgott

Pooh-Bah Trader

not actually complaining and not sure $3.54 is a theme as opposed to a rare occurrence, but its good to know there are several under $8 and people are satisfied with bomber pricing. thanks for the input.

lambpasty and neurobot01 like this.
  13. jeffgott

Pooh-Bah Trader

nothing is wrong at all with it. thanks for the input

14. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If I buy a bigger single bottle than 12oz single, most of the time I prefer the German and UK 16oz pint bottles that run $3.99 to $5.99 in my area. Best quality beer for best price most of the time in single bottle format (11oz Orval for $5.99 is usually nice value as well considering the quality of the beer). Usually these German and UK pints are slightly cheaper per oz than if I just bought a 12oz bottle of same beer.

I'll buy an occasional bomber of American craft (like Hop Stoopid for around $8.99 as one of the cheaper options in our area), but most are mediocre and overpriced.

I buy 750ml for some of the sours and highly reputable big ABV beers, just because they keep well and I'll share them with a few others for special occasions. $25 is highest I've paid to date.

jeffgott likes this.
  15. fearfactory

fearfactory Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Sometimes yes, but mostly no. Does this help?

Providence, charlzm and jeffgott like this.
  16. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Grand Pooh-Bah (5,199) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You definitely pay more per ounce with bombers, but they look so damned good displayed on shelves!

Oceanbear1, jeffgott and dennis3951 like this.
  17. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2012 Ohio

Yes

jeffgott likes this.
  18. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

He's from California, and your from Jersey. I'm not sure if that means anything in this particular case, but beer prices do vary from state to state.

19. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

What if you buy a 16 buck sixer you hate ? I'd rather spend 8 to check it out vs having 5 beers I hate in my reefer.

20. Jeph222

Jeph222 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

When my local store sells bombers of SN Pale Ale 2 for $3.00, I'm happy. Otherwise bombers are for special reasons, like sharing for the purpose of luring another unsuspecting person, with disposable income, into this world we call craft beer. Moo ha ha!

jeffgott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.