Issue with uploading image on resizeyourimage.com

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by leaddog, Jan 27, 2020.

1. leaddog

leaddog Poo-Bah (2,256) Oct 2, 2011 Alberta (Canada)
    Society

Hi there,

I just tried uploading a photo of a beer on resizeyouimage.com several times and it keeps giving me the error message "Error: Negative result reading: not an image?

This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I'm not sure if the website is experiencing some technical issues but not sure what to do. Any troubleshooting help you can offer?

What other free uploading sites that anyone on BA uses that is reliable?

Cheers!

Adam (aka leaddog)

2. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Devotee (469) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I use the Imgur app on my iPhone and iPad and have never had problems.

jhavs likes this.
  3. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,028) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

I've had issues there more often than not.
    If you're using Windows 10, you can do it all from the photo library. Right click on the photo , then click "Resize". Click "Custom", & manually set the dimensions(150x300). If the file size is too big, downgrade "Quality"(sliding scale). 70% has been good every time I've tried it.

FBarber likes this.
  4. leaddog

leaddog Poo-Bah (2,256) Oct 2, 2011 Alberta (Canada)
    Society

I don't have Windows 10 on my laptop. I believe its Windows 7 I have on my laptop.

Any other suggestions or websites that are free or worth downloading for the sizing requirements?

FBarber likes this.
  5. metter98

metter98 Poo-Bah (13,195) Aug 29, 2006 New York
    Moderator Society

I use webresizer.com to crop and resize beer and place pictures. In the few cases where images are still too large in size after using webresizer then I'll further compress them using tinyjpg.com.

mikeinportc and FBarber like this.
  6. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,425) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

The site's error message always gives a reason that relates to the size of the pic when rejecting it, but I've never seen the one you're getting. Just to verify your procedure, you're resizing the pic to be 100x300 and 20 Kb or less, and then downloading to your device before uploading to BA? The error message sounds like the pic is not being recognized, so maybe you've saved the pic in a format that is not readable. The .jpg format is the only type that is acceptable, so verify that is your pic's format.

Here's a link from the Help forum about the procedures that might help you if there's something else that I didn't mention:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/how-to-upload-beer-place-photos.628231/#post-6717120

cjgiant likes this.
  7. micada

micada Disciple (303) Jul 13, 2015 New York
    Trader

For my two cents, nothing is easier than post image.

piggy_rulz likes this.
  8. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,801) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I too am having this issue tonight and I've never seen that error message before ... Really hope that gets fixed. Webresizer is way too clunky for my tastes.

This is for uploading photos of the beer bottle/can/label on the beer page itself, not for the forums.

micada likes this.
  9. Ronmarley1

Society Trader

Ah, gotcha.

FBarber likes this.
  10. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,247) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I've had the same issue with RYI before and am having it right now again as well. This seems to be an issue on RYI's end and not user error, could be a server issue. The last time this happened, it was resolved within 12 hours.

Yes, I had to use WR the last time this happened and hated it. There is no zoom function, so unless your picture happens to be the right size, you actually have to retake it with the right zoom level in order to crop it properly. I also couldn't reduce file size properly, so I had to run the cropped image through Paint afterwards to do that manually.

Huge pain in the ass, if RYI ever went offline permanently, that would probably be the end of me uploading pictures to BA. There are so many picture resize sites out there and they all suck, it's incredible that RYI seems to be only available option that is not a total pain to use or reduces image quality significantly.

Seriously, does anyone know a decent alternative to RYI? I've been using the site for almost 3 years without issues, but this is the second time that this has happened in a few weeks now and it's starting to worry me...

cjgiant, FBarber and PapaGoose03 like this.
  11. FBarber

Society Trader

It seems to be resolved as of now.
    Yea, Im in the same boat. With resize your image I can do the photo upload pretty easily. If that went offline, I'd be way less likely to upload beer photos because of how difficult it is to use WR. I totally know what you're talking about and had the same thought last night. Im not aware of any comparable alternative to RYI, but if you find one, let me know.

leaddog likes this.
  12. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,442) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Are you saying you use Imgur to resize pictures to fit the pixel size requirements for Beer and Place pictures?

Or just to upload pictures to the forum?

13. piggy_rulz

piggy_rulz Initiate (27) Dec 4, 2019 Missouri

Like @micada said, there’s nothing easier than

postimages.org

1) You don’t need to sign up for an account
    2) No need to resize image. That’s an old paradigm.
    3) Click on “Choose Images”
    4) I use an iPhone. “Photo Library” - “All Photos” - Click on photo then “Done”
    5) You will see a lot of options, only one matters. Click on button by “Hotlink for Fourms”. Will be copied to your clipboard
    6) Back to BA. Click on this...

[​IMG]

... paste clipboard.
    7) “More Options”. - “Preview”

[​IMG]

14. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

He is talking about uploading pictures to the forums, not the database. Somehow, people seem unable to tell the difference...

Like @FBarber said, THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT UPLOADING PICTURES TO THE FORUMS :weary:. It's about uploading pictures to the database which is an entirely different process.

Not sure why this happens EVERY time this is brought up, although in this case the OP admittedly wasn't entirely clear about being about the database, rather then the forums.

15. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,823) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

16. Ronmarley1

Society Trader

Just to link to pics in the forums. I misunderstood the OP.
    In a related note The GIMP is a decent photo editor and is free.

17. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,028) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

Try it on 7. I just never had a need to try it then , so don't know if it's possible. Might be . You can also resize the dimensions, but not quality on Windows Paint. Might be enough, depending on what you're using to take the photo.

Before I realized it could be done via the photo editing, I resized with Paint, then if the file size was still too large , I uploaded the photo to Google Photos, then saved that back to file. That process reduces the file size while (almost always - 98%?) keeping the dimensions the same.

#17 mikeinportc, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    PapaGoose03 likes this.
  18. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

I never managed to resize pictures using photo editors because they always warp the picture in the process. How do you get around that?

[​IMG]

PapaGoose03 and FBarber like this.
  19. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Bitterbill likes this.
  20. oldmankoch

oldmankoch Disciple (330) Jan 1, 2014 Tennessee

Imgur! Imgur! Imgur! Imgur! Imgur! Imgur! Imgur! There is NO other reason to use a different service. Super easy to use across multiple platforms PC/Mac/phone/tablet

21. Bitterbill

Society Trader

You crop your image using your mobile or computer before you upload it. Here's a pic I uploaded recently, well the link:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45952/440035/?ba=Bitterbill#review

22. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

The lack of reading comprehension in here really is astounding.

23. Ronmarley1

Society Trader

It depends on which program you are using, but you can usually uncheck “Maintain aspect ratio” to not “warp” the picture. I think that’s what it’s called in Photoshop. In The Gimp, it’s “Keep Aspect Ratio.” Which you would uncheck before resizing.

24. Bitterbill

Society Trader

25. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

I don't think it works like that... If you keep aspect ratio checked, it won't let you resize to specific ratios at all and will set the width according to height automatically to avoid warping. If you uncheck it, you can resize to any ratio, but the picture will be warped if it doesn't "fit".

26. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Wait, so you gotta crop each image separately using another program before uploading it? That kinda makes the bulk resizing pointless, doesn't it? That is the great thing about RYI, you can do everything in one go there and it's really simple to use.

Bitterbill likes this.
  27. Ronmarley1

Society Trader

OK

28. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Not sure if you're being dismissive on purpose, but if you ever manage to resize a picture to exactly 150x300 pixels using a photo editor without warping it in the process I'd love to see an explanation on how to do it.

29. Ronmarley1

Society Trader

Sorry, was at the rec. center. I was just conceding your point.

30. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Most mobiles have a built in photo editor and that's what I use to crop images.

31. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,662) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

This isn't a specific response to your post, just using it as a jumping-off point.
    Step 1: Crop to 1x2 ratio (ignore the pixel count except for the ratio of width to height),
    Step 2: Resize to 150x300 with maintain aspect ratio checked and quality set to get below 20Mb file size.

Ronmarley1 likes this.
  32. MNAle

Society

I use Photoshop Elements for color and contrast, etc., corrections, and for cropping and resizing when I upload to Imgur for forums.

However, for the beer database, I have never been successful in getting an image down to the super-restrictive file size while maintaining reasonably good quality using PE. You can see what I mean if you come across my older photo uploads.

Lately, I been using PE for any color, etc. corrections, and to crop to the 1x2 aspect ratio. Then I use an application called FastStone Photo Resizer to reduce it to 150x300 and less than their file size limit. For whatever reason, it does a much better job of maintaining quality than PE does. All of this is Win10. I don't have the patience to do photo editing on smartphone apps.

33. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to be more specific. I cannot get this to work in paint.net or gimp at all.

34. MNAle

Society

@Snowcrash000 ...The last beer database pic I uploaded started life at 4864x2736 pixels:
    [​IMG]

I first cropped it to 900x1800 pixels using Photoshop Elements. This is a crop only. No image size reduction. (Plus, if you look carefully, a little color correction.)
    [​IMG]

Then, I reduced it to 150x300, 19.2KB using FastStone. I uploaded this pic to the data base:
    [​IMG]

Check out the result here: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/417/453198/

#34 MNAle, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    mikeinportc and Bitterbill like this.
  35. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Must be a photoshop thing. I cannot find an option to crop to a specific size in paint.net or gimp at all.

FBarber likes this.
  36. MNAle

Society

The version of Photoshop Elements I have shows the pixel dimensions when using the crop tool. You drag the crop tool sides while the dimensions are displayed. You don't actually enter them directly.

The older version of Photoshop Elements did not do this, so I eyeballed it and then checked the dimensions, and made successive small corrections until I got the aspect ratio I wanted. Slow and cumbersome, but it worked.

37. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Okay, I get it now, thanks for spelling it out for me. You have to manually crop the picture to the right aspect ratio first, basically a multiple of 150x300, and then you can resize it without warping. I cropped it to 1650x3300 here before resizing.

[​IMG]

However, it requires a lot of fiddling around to get the framing and centering right and really is quite cumbersome, while you can simply create a crop frame that is fixed at 150x300 and can be moved around in RYI, while you can also zoom the picture to fit that frame. It's just so much more convenient and easy to use.

I used Paint.NET to do this, which is free software that does display pixel dimensions for the crop tool and also allows you to set the file size flexibly when saving the picture. GIMP actually has some super useful additional functionality, like being able to set up a custom sized crop frame, but it's nowhere near as user-friendly and I also cannot seem to reduce file size to under ~40KB when saving.

MNAle and FBarber like this.
  38. Peach63

Peach63 Disciple (334) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society

I've been trying to resize a pic of Hop Harvest Haze for some time using the two tools Todd suggested to no avail. I finally managed to resize to 150x300 using Windows 10 photos like mikeinportc suggested. When I uploaded pic, it said upload was successful. So where is the pic? At this point, I've decided contributing to BA is more of a pain-in-the-ass then it's worth.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  39. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Uploaded pictures need to be approved by a moderator before they go live, which can take a few hours sometimes, depending on the queue and time of day.

However, if you are refering to Matt/Saranac Brewing Hop Harvest Haze, there is no picture currently in the queue. If the upload was indeed successful, that probably means that the picture was rejected for not complying with BA picture conventions, which can be seen here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/how-to-upload-beer-place-photos.628231/

While I agree that the process of uploading pictures to BA is currently a lot more convoluted than it should be, I also think that ResizeYourImage is a very convenient and easy-to-use tool for this purpose, as I've already stated many times in this thread. What was your issue with it?

FBarber and PapaGoose03 like this.
  40. FBarber

Society Trader

Also, your browser cache has to be cleared once the picture is approved or else it still may not show up for a while.

PapaGoose03 likes this.