Jägermeister Arrogant Bastard Ale

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,979) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

ISO: #JagerBastard

https://www.arrogantconsortia.com/beer/special-releases/jägermeister-arrogant-bastard-ale

Hell yes, you read that correctly.

A collaboration between two fiercely independent entities rooted in commitment to uncompromising uncommonness.

With a complete disinterest in catering to the masses, both built their legacies around the core belief that what makes them notorious is what makes them… them. So what happens when you combine such forces? You’re looking at it. If you’re rubbing your eyes now, it’s likely due to crying tears of joy. We get that. Understandable. But really, stop.

Brewed in Berlin, this 8.5% ale is brewed with the secretive proprietary blend of herbs, roots, fruits and spices provided by the gatekeepers at Jägermeister in Wolfenbüttel, Germany. Yes, there’s a town in Germany with that name. Yes, it’s where Jägermeister is headquartered and made. Yes, it’s awesome, and yes our co-founder Greg Koch has personally visited. Hell yes.

The result carries with it an audacious level of complexity and depth. Predictably, it’s not for everyone. Nothing worth its weight ever is. Nothing worth a damn ever is. But for those who seek a higher understanding, we offer this next step in liquid enlightenment.

You were already combining the two on your own. After all, the gargoyle and the deer are ever watching. They never blink. Ever.

Jägermeister Arrogant Bastard Ale begins shipping out across to select accounts in the US now, reaching the most worthy proprietors of excellence in the coming weeks. But for those with a California shipping address, online orders are being taken starting...now. You can push the button too late, but you can’t push it too soon.

Don’t blink.

###

EMH73, GreenBayBA, Peach63 and 8 others like this.
  2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,267) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Pass. (Not that I'll ever see this...)

3. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,456) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm sorry, but that sounds positively awful.

4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,850) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Wait a minute - Jägermeister might be "fiercely independent" but they are also listed as one of the 8 members of the Portman Group.

5. phillyale

phillyale Initiate (43) Jan 7, 2015 Pennsylvania

so what exactly is it -- Arrogant Bastard aged in Jager barrels? Arrogant Bastard with Jager added to it? Watched the video and still not sure.

6. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,561) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Boy, is THAT rich in irony! :grin:

7. Todd

Todd Founder (5,979) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  8. honkey

honkey Zealot (569) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Society Industry

I think it’s a barrel aged Arrogant Bastard with the same herbs and spices as Jager... not sure though

9. MacCherry

MacCherry Initiate (133) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

GAAH... No, It's a lot...

10. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,195) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Oh my god, the irony is simply mindblowing :laughing::joy::rofl:.

Also, I both love Arrogant Bastard and hate Jägermeister with an equal passion, so as if I wasn't conflicted about this enough already I also gotta admit that those strong herbal notes of Jägermeister might actually go quite well with the resinous bitterness of Arrogant Bastard.

I dunno, it's... interesting. Really depends on what exactly they're doing here. As much as I hate to say it, a Jägermeister barrel-aged Arrogant Bastard might actually be pretty cool. I really wonder if we're actually going to see this in Germany, but I doubt it...

By the way, Jägermeister used to be notorious as cheap bum liquor in Germany until they managed to completely turn its image on its head through an excessive marketing campaign that made it the hip shit it is today.

11. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (575) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I used to like an occasional shot of Jagermeister back in the day, now AB is the treat.
    The two together, I dunno, a single just to try it maybe.

JediMasterLenin likes this.
  12. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (599) Mar 28, 2009 California

Sweet a product video that says nothing about what the beer is. Stones’s Marketing is cringe worthy.

13. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Zealot (535) Jul 29, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society

April Fools! Right? Guys?

I used to be a regular at this bar where this older guy came in every night and would line up shots of Jager for him and his friends. He'd throw his down and yell out at the top of his lungs: "I loooose my mind to Jagermeistaaaaaaaaah!"

14. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,715) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Nein, quatsch!

#14 DIM, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  15. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (179) Oct 6, 2004 California

I'm completely desensitized when it comes to Stone anymore.

Here, I'll watch this video of Greg talking about...well, nothing at all about the beer. Way to sell what already sounds like a weird collaboration. There's no indication whether it's a brewing collab, a barrel aging, or something else, since neither the press release or video had any info at all.

They won't brew Double Bastard, but they'll brew this. Sheesh.

16. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,456) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

I remember that well. That was the case when I was stationed in Germany back in 73 to 76. It wasn't hugely popular at the time, at least not where I was stationed in Germany.

I still remember coming back to the states and going to school, and then all of sudden out of the blue, it suddenly became all so hip and cool to do shots of Jager. I was in complete disbelief at the time.

17. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,021) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

Anyone remember "The Concoction" from Brooklyn? I can't escape the thought that this would be similar in at least a medieval medicinal signature

18. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Nice edit :stuck_out_tongue::laughing:.

DIM likes this.
  19. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,715) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

High school German was looooooong time ago...:fearful:was my original spelling at all correct?

20. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Well, there is only one correct spelling and the current one is it :stuck_out_tongue:.

DIM likes this.
  21. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,696) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Oooh. College memories. Can they do Goldschlagher next!?!?

JediMasterLenin and AlcahueteJ like this.
  22. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,827) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Not no,but hell no!

But I would give it a shot despite my hatred for Jagermeister. Can I get more contradictory?

23. DISKORD

DISKORD Disciple (344) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Looks like it's not barrel-aged. "Ale brewed with herbs, fruits and spices"

24. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,722) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

25. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (599) Mar 28, 2009 California

I was just at the store and in typical stone fashion the verbiage on the back is some lengthy BS but the front says brewed with herbs, fruits and spices. Also, says brewed in Berlin.

It’s simply arrogant bastard with spices like jager, no barrel just as @DISKORD stated.

It’s was $22 for what I think is a 750ml
    Bottle. Easy pass.

26. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,850) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The label, color inverted and removed (for legibility)
    [​IMG]

27. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,310) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

Funny that this meme just popped up on my FB:

[​IMG]

28. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,085) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Can I do Jager bombs with this beer?

Nah better not, I just remembered the name Arrogant Bastard offends me. :wink:

JediMasterLenin and Bitterbill like this.
  29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Jager imo tastes like Vick’s NyQuil, I don’t suppose that’ll work well with anything when it doesn’t taste good by itself. Really a terrible idea that next year will headline the worst beer you ever drank thread.

30. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,827) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Seems to serve the similar purpose of Underberg. I remember having eaten too much Weiner Schnitzel in Vienna yet I couldn't do the proper thing when severely overeating..vomit. Underberg worked for me. :slight_smile:

To have Jagermeister as a drinking alternative boggles my mind.

vurt, AlcahueteJ, nc41 and 1 other person like this.
  31. beertunes

Trader

Those Underbergs are really popular around here, for some reason. Most of the breweries, even the ones that don't serve food, have them.

vurt, FBarber and Bitterbill like this.
  32. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,781) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Not sure I would drop $20 for a bottle, but I like Jager better than Arr B. I cannot eat liquorice, but I can pound shots of jager. Used to be my beverage of choice for shot games.

33. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,065) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey

It seems to be another hipster thing. I've only seen them in Brooklyn, Portland (ME) and Fishtown (PHL). I'm guessing there's a lot of hipsters in Washingt--.....errrrr, Vatican City:wink:

34. beertunes

Trader

Funny thing is, they're not at the hipster/trendy/kool kid bars, just the breweries, and a couple of locals bars, not the places the college/20-somethings hang.

35. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,065) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey

Interesting.....I did see them at a German restaurant one time but that was literally the only place I've seen it in a "traditional" setting.

beertunes likes this.
  36. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (875) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Ditto. I might get it...for curiosity.
    I totally get why many people hate Jagermeister, but I like it. I dig the licorice/anise. I was probably just lucky that as a younger man I never had had a Jager-induced vomit session or hangover from hell.

37. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,048) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

I actually really liked that beer which was surprising since on paper I should've hated it.

Hate to say it, but I'm gonna buy one of these just for the curiosity factor. I actually don't mind Jager.

FBarber, Milktoast75 and gopens44 like this.
  38. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,872) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Depending on your view of hipsters, it could still be considered bum liquor :joy:

I really enjoy an underberg after a big dinner. Cleans the palate, clears you up.

meefmoff, vurt and beertunes like this.
  39. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (721) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

First had Jager in 1985. It was a bottle brought back from the source. It was very different. When I had some extra cash I would buy a bottle and fill a glass with ice and fill it with Jager. A really mellow buzz. Not had it in 25 plus years.

This beer reads pretty gross.

Enjoy

40. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (140) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

You're a bad man

donspublic likes this.