Dismiss Notice
We're bringing our Belgian Beer Fest back to Boston June 22nd & 23rd!

Learn More

Looking for Goat/Barn/Funk in NYC

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by goodfellow33, Sep 13, 2017.

1. goodfellow33

goodfellow33 Initiate (110) Sep 13, 2017 New York

Hey, so "new to beer" here and to the forum. About a year back at this point I tried Boon Mariage Parfait and fell in love. Then forgot about it until two weeks ago when the friend who introduced me to it went beer shopping again, and duh there's a whole world.

So now I'm obsessed or whatever, and scouring the internet to try to find this same barnyard floor experience. I've tried a number of Bretts some Wild Ales, Farmyard ales, aged Bretts, Oude Gueze etc. I'm not looking for Gose or that sort of sour, but that real horse shit thing.

Any thoughts on interesting ones that I can find in the NYC area?
  2. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,281) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

You don't say which ones you've had, so here are some general guidelines:

For Gueuze look for Tilquin, Timmermans, Oud Beersel, even Lindeman's Cuvee Rene

You must try aged Orval!!!

Locally search out certain beers from Kent Falls, Sloop, Catskill Brewing.

From outside of the region I like Trinity and Crooked Stave.

Hopefully that's a start.
  3. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,813) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

As would be expected from @TongoRad , a very good set of recommendations. I'll just offer a few additional recommendations.

There's a Mikkeller/Boon Gueueze around NYC that is very tasty. If you can't find it in stores, I know that As Is has it.

Allagash does some very good funky beers, including Little Brett and they just released another funky beer in 4 packs and I'm blanking on the name.

Keep your eyes peeled as occasionally Drie Fonteinen (aka 3F in the beer geek world) pops up on shelves in the city. If you see the Oude Gueuze or any other 750 buy it without hesitation. A good substitute for 3F is Tilquin, which is quite easy to find in the city. I buy Tilquins every time I see them. Hanssen's is another good brewery that I believe is available in the city.

Finally, local options that I can recommend.... LIC Beer Project's spontaneous beers (a huge sleeper in the NYC beer world right now), Plan Bee (hit or miss, but big on the funk) and Suarez.
  4. JG__

JG__ Initiate (127) Mar 26, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Do yourself a favor and take a trip up to Hudson Valley Brewery in Beacon. Awesome beers and the town is cool too.
    goodfellow33 and gabea like this.
  5. Nickwierda

Nickwierda Initiate (119) Feb 8, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Yeah but they don't really make "funky" beers like the OP is looking for. Hudson Valley is more fruited sours but, as far as I know, they don't do super funky barnyard beers like mariage parfait.

For the stuff you're looking for, stick with the Belgians. You'll find a bunch of great Belgian lambic and gueuze throughout the city, all of which are at least worth trying.

My favorites are 3 Fonteinen and Cantillon (which are impossible to find), followed by Hanssens Oude Gueuze, Mariage Parfait, and Tilquin. But yeah all of the recommendations of Belgian lambic others have already posted are absolutely worth trying if you like this sort of funky horseshit cheesy stuff.
    goodfellow33, zid, gabea and 3 others like this.
  6. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (772) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Are you looking for bottles or draught? Local NYC breweries or otherwise?
  7. GreaserGreg

GreaserGreg Initiate (137) Feb 27, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Plan Bee 'Barn Beer', Transmitter 'F' (Farmhouse) Series, and some of the ciders Graft is putting out will tick that box.
  8. duuune

duuune Initiate (114) Oct 10, 2016 New York

Everything Jolly Pumpkin makes has that expressive brett funk. Try some of crooked stave's shelf beers. Both breweries can be found at most beer stores worth their salt in NYC.
  9. Jdotbrone

Jdotbrone Initiate (125) Oct 5, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

If you want the funk search out some Oxbow bottles. Should find them scattered around the major beer and bottle shops in the city.

In fact Threes has Momoko which is barnyard peach nectar.
    duuune likes this.
  10. goodfellow33

Thanks all for the replies. My inquiry was basically regarding bottles and/or tap, though I don't drink much when I do, so I'd prefer to share with one or two folks and try a number of things. Looking for things that are either consistently distributed here and/or specialty items that y'all have seen in the wild recently.

As for the suggestions, gonna kinda go in order here:

- I've tried Tilquin, liked it a lot, but it's quite pricey, and I found it (granted only tried it once, and I recognize bottle-to-bottle variance) a bit more refined than I'd prefer, especially for the price. Can't recall year.
    - Lindeman's Cuvee Rene is a great affordable bottle, if I just want the general profile. Would certainly have around, but not "blown away" per se.
    - I've tasted Orval, but wasn't thinking about it in this context. Will definitely search for an older bottle or two to see. This seems easy enough to get here.
    - Rest I will seek out, thanks!

- I've tried as much of the Allagash stuff as I can get my hands on. Their standard/4-pack stuff is all super tasteful, if not a bit boring. You're maybe thinking about the Brett IPA? I've geeked the hardest over their special edition stuff. Wasn't enamored with Evora, but Emile I loved, Uncommon Crow grew on me, Trippel was a bit too sweet, but interesting, tried a few more as well, can't recall which, but, yeah as a brewery they're totally on my radar.
    - 3F is also on my radar, alone with Cantillon, but I haven't found either in the flesh yet.
    - Thanks for the other recs

- I've read about Hudson Valley, looks like they have a lot of interesting stuff that may be up my alley. It's been a few years since I last went up to Beacon, but the Dia museum there is great, and the town is nice, for sure. May be time for another trip...

- Yeah, my buddy also suggested that I may be after Belgian stuff. I've seen the Hanssens Oude Gueuze on shelves, will pick it up next time.

Just stuff that I can find here, or on the internet...I don't know the landscape of the city yet, so stores, etc are all great help.

- Have a bottle of the Transmitter F3 Brett Farmhouse Ale in the fridge as we speak. Picked it up yesterday to try
    - Saw some Plan Bee there too. Thanks

@duuune and @Jdotbrone Thanks, I'll look into that.
    zid and TongoRad like this.
  11. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (772) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

If you like sour stuff, do yourself a favor and make the trip over to Brooklyn and visit Spuyten Duyvil
    dbrauneis likes this.
  12. goodfellow33

When it first opened I was there all the time, drinking bourbon. "Getting into beer" has this very funny way of completely reshaping the landscape of the city.
  13. psychgawsple

psychgawsple Aspirant (232) Dec 5, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Seconding the Plan Bee rec. I was absolutely blown away by Brush Hog when I visited this Spring - it's actually one of the only hoppy beers they've done, but they nailed it. Incredible mix of barnyard funk and dry hop bite. Have tried several of their beers, and enjoyed nearly all of them, but this was both the most funky and the most hoppy thing I've seen them do. Most everything they make is impressive, if expensive.

I don't think there's any way to drink this type of stuff on the cheap, unfortunately. The really, really good stuff is both expensive and really hard to find. You want Cantillon. You want De Garde. You want Side Project, Hill Farmstead, etc.

The LIC Beer Project coolship beers have been great. You might like the Suarez Family wild stuff, though it's usually on the crisp/refined side. Tilquin, Boon, Allagash, Hanssens, Drie Fonteinen, BFM, Jester King, American Solera and Suarez Family are the best you can find at good bottle shops around town. You could probably pay a lot for a bottle of Logsdon Peche n' Brett if you wanted to (you should try it somehow). Check out Gold Star Beer Counter, they have many exciting bottles you could snag right now.
    TongoRad and zid like this.
  14. goodfellow33

Oh, I'm regularly spending $15 plus on a bottle (some not ever 750 mL), w/r to the Tilquin, I like it, I'm just not sure that I $27 a bottle like it. That said, if someone else is paying I'm not going to turn it down ever.

Speaking of BFM, I've been trying to hunt down La BATS by them since I had it a few weeks ago out of town, it's on a different tip, but can't seem to find it anywhere.
  15. zid

zid Savant (908) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I would explore more Belgian 750s that don't cross a certain price threshold. Also try ones less frequently mentioned, like Kerkom Reuss and Thiriez, even if they don't perfectly embody what you're after. In NY, I have to agree with Plan Bee, and specifically Brush Hog as mentioned by @psychgawsple Not all of their beers will scratch that itch. Finding Plan Bee can be a challenge though. Also be on the lookout for Blackberry Farm Brett Saison (in a smaller bottle). It could be my imagination, but it seems like with the rise of "fruity" IPAs, there's been a rise of fruity Brett beers as opposed to earthy ones. Feels like mentions of "horse blanket" have gone way down on this site. It's probably just my imagination. BTW @goodfellow33 , it'll probably be a big challenge finding BFM Bats. It also goes by the name Tarry Suchong. If you liked that one, try exploring beers that use smoked malts.
    goodfellow33 and TongoRad like this.
  16. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,355) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Sounds like you enjoy the deeper hormonal and rotted fruit flavors brett can throw. I know I sure do! Trinity was recommended earlier, I suggest finding what brett beers of theirs are around, then reading their reviews here looking for one(s) that describes those notes, and go for it.
    TongoRad likes this.
  17. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,281) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

This one in particular:

There may still be a few floating around. I've definitely seen others from that series recently.
    goodfellow33 and cavedave like this.
  18. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,355) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Haha yeah your recommend to me of that beer was one of the most spot on recommendations I ever have gotten!
    TongoRad likes this.