Märican Biere Bought and Drunk...

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Gutes_Bier, Jan 2, 2014.

1. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (264) Nov 3, 2005 California

2. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (111) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

AlcahueteJ and einhorn like this.
  3. einhorn

4. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,208) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado

From what I've been told, Weihenstephan has had a good relationship with Sierra Nevada for a while.
    I really like the bottle art. Hopefully they will be readily available. For some reason the Pils and the Kristall Weizenbock only made it to a handful of stores out my way.

5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,044) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Recently got to try a new local Pilsner from a brewery I didn't know existed until last week, and is pretty close to home: Prairie Krafts. Place brews mostly top-fermented styles, but they have a few German-style bottom-fermented beers. The Pilsner isn't quite Nouveau and isn't quite traditional; modern Nobel Hops without being overdone, and crackery malt that holds up well. Will be looking for other styles from them.

Also found some more Lakefront Maibock closer than a Wisconsin run -- a very delicious take on the style these days. And Capital's Dark Doppelbock from their one month release back in November -- which is holding up terrifically well. This Doppel is as good as most imports and better than some others.

AlcahueteJ and jeebeel like this.
  6. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,362) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Isn’t “mod rn Noble Hops” an oxymoron?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  7. steveh

Heh -- probably is, but how else should we refer to the newer strains such as Hallertau Blanc or Saphir?

8. hopfenunmaltz

Noble derivatives? Noble-ish?

AlcahueteJ and steveh like this.
  9. steveh

Nouveau Noble? :grin:

(you heard it here first! :wink:)

10. Domingo

What are the main new hops that are noble derived? I'm guessing the previously mentioned Hallertau Blanc and Saphir. Are Mandarina Bavaria and Polaris, too? What are some others?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  11. hopfenunmaltz

Hüll Melon, Mandarina Bavaria, and Hallertau Blanc were all Cascade crossed with male hops at the Hüll Institute.

Saphir doesn’t have clear parentage.

Mt. Hood, Liberty, Ultra, Vangaurd were Hallertau Mittelfrüh crossed with North American males.

Sterling is a Saaz cross. Santium is a Tettnang cross.

HM was used in the breeding of Citra, believe it or not.

AlcahueteJ, Jacobier10 and Domingo like this.
  12. steveh

@hopfenunmaltz Isn't Saphir a product of the Hüll Institute as well?

How about Hallertauer Magnum? Not quite as new as the others, but on the new side, as is Tradition -- though oddly named. :wink:

13. hopfenunmaltz

Yes, I looked Saphir up, and the parent hops were just numbers from the Hüll breeding stock.

YCH lists Magnum as a daughter of Galena! Released 1993

Tradition is from HM, Hallertau Gold and Saaz. Released 1993.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  14. steveh

My info is from BSG Craft Brewing, so I have no solid confirmation on their accuracy, but they report Saphir was developed to have Noble hop characters and good cultivation properties. Probably can't pinpoint Noble heritage, but they were trying to cultivate something similar.
    And the German male hop 75/5/3? :thinking_face:
    As said, not exactly "new," but still of newer Noble lineage.

15. hopfenunmaltz

Agranomics comes first is hop breeding. The farmer has to make money growing the hop variety. Many of these were developed to give an alternative to HM, which is susceptible to wilt.

The ones like Mandarina Bavaria, Hüll Melon, and Hallertau Blanc were developed to compete with the new fruity American hops. The Germans saw what was going on in the US, and wanted part of that market.

16. steveh

Right -- these are the ones that tend to stunt my palate (mentioned previously) and what I refer to as the "modern" nobles.

17. hopfenunmaltz

How about Polaris? That one is hard for me to like.

18. steveh

I can't honestly recall which beers I've had with Polaris, but isn't that one very herbal and nearly garlic-like at the end of a sample? If so -- no, not a fan.

19. hopfenunmaltz

I get mint and/or wintergreen, and it is not subtle.

20. steveh

Don't recall having a minty beer recently. If it was used in a German-style beer I'm sure I'd hate it. :wink:

21. Domingo

Someone told me they feel Polaris tastes like ice blue hard candies. Now I can't escape that. Luckily it's not too strong. I don't know about Polaris being used in anything German, but it works in saisons. Funkwerks made a single-hop saison with polaris that I really enjoyed.

AlcahueteJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  22. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Crusader (710) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

Braufactum's Palor is brewed with Polaris (and Cascade).

JackHorzempa likes this.
  23. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,569) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Have you tasted this beer? If so, what do you think about this beer?

Cheers!

24. Snowcrash000

Trader

I haven't had it, but I'm kinda curious now. Might grab one over the weekend, if I can find it reasonably fresh...

JackHorzempa likes this.
  25. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (4,354) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Trader

Had this in 2014 in Bamberg.... -
    SHIPA Polaris | Kehrwieder Kreativbrauerei

My notes say mint and menthol... hmmm... "...
    Interesting but different; or is it different but interesting? Anyhow, prosit!!"

AlcahueteJ and JackHorzempa like this.
  26. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (1,871) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium

I saw this at my local store but was hesitant since I had never had anything from Lakefront before. Decided to buy a six-pack based on your recommendation and I am really impressed by the beer. American maibocks can be hit or miss; this one is definitely a hit. So, thanks!

27. steveh

FWIW -- I went back and updated my 2016 review, when this beer first came out, and bumped the score up a little. I think they were still tweaking the recipe back then, but now they seem to have it down. I just bought my third six-pack of the Lakefront last week.

Jacobier10 likes this.
  28. Snowcrash000

Trader

I recently managed to get a hold of a bottle of Palor, and quite fresh at that, which is not a matter of course in Germany... It's an (English) Pale Ale brewed with Polaris and Cascade hops. The Polaris hops really seem to take center stage though, with a strong herbal presence that is reminiscent of alpine herbs. I quite enjoyed it for its uniqueness and actually kinda wish more brewers would use Polaris, as I quite like the herbal note. I wrote a full review, but have no idea how to link to it directly.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  29. biermark

biermark Initiate (65) Sep 9, 2008 South Carolina

I found a case of it yesterday in a tiny beer place. The box has a label with the date 14 2 18. It looks like a typical white beer in the glass, cloudy with a tall, very white head. I did not detect any yeast at the end of the pour. Typical, medium mouth feel for a Weihenstephan. I find it to be more bitter and less sweet than Hopfenweisse. A decent beer and good to see experimentation with a wheat.

Next weekend is Springtoberfest at Sierra Nevada in NC. I'm hoping they have it on draft. It's not on now.

Interesting to see the Freising bear on the box too....

#2349 biermark, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    AlcahueteJ and einhorn like this.
  30. einhorn

So, finally had a chance to try the Braupakt... with all due respect to both breweries that I admire, this collaboration was not necessary. Overly bittered Weissbier is not a good thing, the long lingering aftertaste reminded me of poor American attempts at this style. Will never drink again.

Carry on.

boddhitree and herrburgess like this.
  31. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry

:confused:

32. steveh

As someone whose palate gets quickly stunted by over-bitter and lingering of badly balanced hop blends I was not effected this way by the Braupakt -- and yes, that surprised me.

33. einhorn

Sorry - wanted to like it. Tasted like a pale ale with cara malts fermented with wheat beer yeast. Had dozens of these during the craft beer boom years from craft brewers wanting to also do a wheat beer and it tasted like it. My apologies to all offended but this was a poor execution IMO.

34. steveh

Only "wheat" beers I had during the Boom® had no resemblance to a Bavarian Wheat. I find this one really does. I honestly like the way SN & Weihenstephan balanced the Weizen yeast character with Pac Northwest hops without going overboard. I honestly expected what you say you tasted, but was pleasantly surprised.

Ah well, different strokes.

BTW (to all) -- since this beer was brewed in Germany, I put a link to my review over in the Bayernbiere Bought and Drunk thread.

35. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (759) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Had my first Braupakt today.

I like it. My feelings fall somewhere in between @steveh and @einhorn's.

I'd prefer a straight up Weizen, but I enjoy what they did here. Not overly bitter/hoppy, Hefe yeast character smelled great up front. Tasted like a Hefeweizen with a hoppy finish that lingers for a while.

It's well done, but the hoppy finish is unwarranted in my opinion. Just a personal preference. The hops didn't interfere with the banana/clove notes at all. But they still felt slightly out of place, and a TAD too bitter and hoppy.

That being said, looking forward to having my other two bottles I picked up. For no other reason than that I don't get to have a "Weihenstephan" Hefeweizen this fresh very often.

Finally, @steveh, Summerfest is out. Having my first of the season, bottled 3/26. Less than a month old! And damn...

36. steveh

Wait... what?:stuck_out_tongue:

I guess I jumped into this beer expecting something a little different from the usual Hefeweizen -- and I was surprised that it wasn't over-done in the usual "innovative" way -- at least to my palate. I was also surprised at how well the fruitiness of the hops balanced with the Weizen yeast. Just pretty tasty to me.

Now, would I exchange it for a traditional Hefeweizen if that's what I was craving? A definite no there. Still like true Bavarian Hefeweizen better, but I was impressed with the Braupakt.
    Saw it here a week-and-a-half back -- picked some up last Thursday and been enjoying a few over the weekend. As good as it ever was.

einhorn and AlcahueteJ like this.
  37. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (759) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Ha, yes, I sort of contradicted myself there didn't I?

I more or less meant exactly what you wrote above. That it wasn't overdone in the usual "innovative" way.

But I still felt it was a tad too hoppy. The hops lingered a bit too long in the finish, and showed up too quickly. As in, I got the typical Hefeweizen flavors, but those were quickly displaced by bitter and fruity notes. But it was far from an American hoppy wheat beer (for example, Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin'). And well done overall.

But I have only had one bottle, and didn't really take notes, going off of memory. I have two more to try. For what it's worth, I don't recall liking Hopfenweisse in the past.

einhorn likes this.
  38. rkat32

rkat32 Initiate (147) Oct 5, 2007 Michigan

Agree, my SN Summerfest batch is drinking great as well. Love this beer. Bottled 3/24 from Mills River. Hopefully, will see it in cans soon.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  39. Domingo

Braupakt just showed up here today. I'm going in with an open mind, but don't expect miracles. It took me years to warm up to Hopfenweisse and I wasn't a huge fan of their kristall weizenbock. Still, every now and then something like this can be good. New Glarus made some hoppy weizens that I enjoyed. I still wish they'd just send us Tradition instead. It annoys me how few dunkels make it stateside.

steveh, jeebeel and grantcty like this.
  40. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,569) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Chris, my prediction is that you will enjoy drinking Braupakt. This beer tastes more like a traditional Hefeweizen than a 'hopped up' Hefeweizen IMO. Yes, there are aspects of the American aroma hops there but IMO the brewers made judicious use of them so the hop aromas/flavors very much compliment the yeast derived flavors (i.e., banana & clove).

Cheers!

Domingo likes this.