Media Embedding Has Been Disabled

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,895) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

As with other recent third-party forum adds-on that are no longer supported, I've had to disable one that extended media URL embedding to services like Imgur, Twitter, Instagram, and others.

The problem with this add-on was...
    • It relied on sending the embed request to the developer's website, which has become unstable.
    • Due to the above, it also increased load time/client-side overhead on busy pages; like "What beer are you drinking now?" threads.
    • It stripped important data from the original URL when posting to the site. Meaning that we can't easily reconstruct previous embeds and replace them with at least links.
    • It was breaking Instagram embeds this morning and impacting page rendering, which was the last straw for me.
    In hindsight, I should've never installed this add-on. Live and learn.

Why don't we allow everyone to upload images to the forum? We don't want to become an image host or incur the costs.

So what now? This could be resolved (at least in part) once we upgrade our forums, but there's currently no timeline and it's a massive project. In the meantime, you can still embed images, however, you'll need to ensure that whatever service you use allows hotlinking (displaying an image on another site using a direct link to it). And YouTube and Vimeo will automatically embed if you drop a valid link in your post. See "Forums" in the FAQ for more.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but ensuring the site remains operational and as responsive as possible is our main priority.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Premo88, Scrapss, jvgoor3786 and 4 others like this.
  2. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,634) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

For Imgur users, use the "Direct Link" option on Imgur, and then use the "Image" icon here, and paste the URL into the image link.

3. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,319) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

That goes for youtube as well, huh? Well, that really sucks... :slight_frown:

IPAExpert69, mikeinportc and FBarber like this.
  4. Todd

YouTube and Vimeo should still be supported. These media types are part of the forum's core. Dropping a link into your post should embed the video automagically for now.

5. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,199) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Peace, Todd. I love you.

Premo88, mikeinportc and Junior like this.
  6. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Good to know, however, they don't appear to work in today's WBAYDN thread. Might be worth looking into.

FBarber and beergoot like this.
  7. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,263) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Do u have a list of what media sites are supposed to still work? Google Drive and Flickr don't seem to work, so I probably need a viable alternative...

Thanks...

nicholas2121 likes this.
  8. Todd

Working now.
    Video: YouTube and Vimeo links will embed. Images: See above and FAQ.

9. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Yup, appears to be working again, thanks for the quick fix.

FBarber, Reef and beergoot like this.
  10. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (1,525) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

Thanks Todd, I was noticing the long page loads when browsing WBAYDN. This seems like an agreeable resolution to me. You guys do a great job and I'm grateful for it.

Shanex, SABERG, Premo88 and 3 others like this.
  11. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (583) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

I don't see a 'Direct Link' option on Imgur on my iPhone. I've always just pressed on the image until the menu giving me the option to 'Copy Link' appeared.

beertunes likes this.
  12. MNAle

Society

I use the PC web site, which gives a choice of 6 (using their words):
    • Image Link
    • Direct Link
    • Markdown Link (reddit comments)
    • HTML (website / blogs)
    • BBCode (message board & forums)
    • Linked BBCode (message boards)

"Image Link" will look like: https://imgur.com/gobbledegook
    "Direct Link" will look like: https://i.imgur.com/gobbledegook.jpg

The URL is slightly different, imgur.com vs i.imgur.com, the gobbledegook is the same, but followed by .jpg for the direct link.

Hope that helps.

bluejacket74 and SudsDoctor like this.
  13. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,884) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,533) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I get the same Ingur 404 "You took a wrong turn" screen for both links.

Snowcrash000 likes this.
  15. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

These both display as an error message for me, which is precisely why I stopped using imgur. I would recommend postimage to anyone, never had any problems with it. Just copy the direct link and you're golden. Just might wanna cut off the advertisement portion that gets added occasionally.

Scrapss, officerbill and LarryV like this.
  16. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (1,956) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

My "Media" tab appears to be missing, but I see that others could post before and after I did. I have used YouTube exclusively for video. Has the "Media" tab changed?

17. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (1,956) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

It appears that I can just insert the YouTube link directly in the text box and it will appear. Is that correct?

18. MNAle

Society

I've never had this problem, except occasionally if I try to go directly to an internal page without logging in first. So, I wonder... do you have your imgur images set up for public access?

19. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,122) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Is this possible with Instagram? I am assuming it's disabled.

20. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,306) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Those were not actual imgur links. I believe he was just showing the address format of the two types of links using those dummy 'goobledegook' links for illustrative purposes. Actual imgur links have random characters like 'Bc4Rqd.jpg' in the URL.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  21. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,533) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

All of my pics are individually listed as 'Hidden' and not viewable by the public. However, I found that I never 'verified' my email address with Imgur so I went thru that process. I still get the 404 screen for each link that you have in your post. I also noted that my personal Imgur settings now say that my email has been verified and that my pics could now be made public. I can't find a setting to change them en masse, thus I'll leave it alone.

But I see a possible explanation by @jaycase above, so I'm going to leave it at that.

22. MNAle

Society

Yes, @Jaycase is correct. My examples are not real image links. Replace "gobbledegook" with the actual image name.

Like this:

https://i.imgur.com/p6aTFK2.jpg,

but you put it in the Image icon url box, not as a direct link from the message text box, like this:

[​IMG]

If you want a click-on link, you use the "Image Link" from imgur, like this:

https://imgur.com/p6aTFK2

BTW, if you right-click on that first link above, and select "save linked content as" you can save the image to your computer and forever admire my photographic skills! :sunglasses:

#22 MNAle, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  23. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,720) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Thank you. Those photos were always the slowest to load and often didn't look right. I'm happy with the change.

24. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,488) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Doesn’t look like Instagram works anymore. Is there some trick? I did a test and it failed.

I hope it’s not the case, but I’ll be really irritated if BA eliminated such a common platform. Might be the end of my WBAYDN participation.

drunkenmess likes this.
  25. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Meyvn (1,058) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

I only use mobile to post on BA.
    Imgur, Instagram and other social stuff wasn't working. At least not on my phone.
    Tried Postimage and that seemed to work.
    Image website. Dont need account. Take pic, scroll down to Hotlink for forums and clicked copy. Posted right in meassage box for forum not the add link tab.
    Good luck! :beers:

TrojanRB and tobelerone like this.
  26. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,727) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

This is the best and easiest method for posting pics from my phone I’ve found as well.

drunkenmess likes this.
  27. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,839) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Except, when i go to IMGUR, there's no "Direct Link" option, just "Browse or drag images here".

nicholas2121 and TheDoctor like this.
  28. MNAle

Society

As noted previously... my example was for using a PC (or phone, I suppose) browser and the imgur web site. I don't use their phone app.

EDIT: OK, I just installed and tried the google imgur app on my phone.

If I tap a picture, it displays the pic (nearly) full screen. If I tap the "share" button, (or press and hold the picture) I get several choices, among them is "copy URL". If I select that, what is copied is what I would want to paste into the "Image" button here on a BA reply.

Maybe the iPhone app works differently, IDK.

#28 MNAle, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    TheDoctor and Ozzylizard like this.
  29. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,839) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Thanks! I gots an iphone but i'm working on my laptop. I'll try to post in WBAYDN.

30. MNAle

Society

One other point on imgur, I go to my images on the site; not posts. IDK if that makes any difference.

31. Todd

As noted, media embedding has been disabled. This includes Instagram, Imgur, and others.

Direct linking to public images using the Image tool (BBcode) will work with sites that allow hotlinking and YouTube and Vimeo will embed if you drop valid links in your post. Nothing else is currently supported.

32. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (583) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Thanks. I get < i.imgur.com/xxx.jpg > links doing it the way I've been doing on my phone, so I can just continue with no issue. Much ado about nothing. :rolling_eyes:

TheDoctor and MNAle like this.
  33. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,131) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

I agree that it is possible. AFAIK when you long click on the uploaded image or do Copy URL on imgur on Mobile (I use android, though, so YMMV) it is the direct link. I also am pretty sure that to be foolproof you just need to double-check that there is an "i." before "imgur" in the URL. If there isn't, you can just type it in and it makes it the direct link.

drunkenmess likes this.
  34. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Disciple (311) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

Its nice to see the wbaydn pictures come up instantly, even though i have never posted a picture

drunkenmess likes this.
  35. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,919) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I still like what I use. I keep an open tab and the site remembers which code that I want to copy. Then I just long finger it in a post.

[​IMG]

drunkenmess likes this.
  36. MNAle

Society

For some reason, your pictures never show up in my browser. I get the broken picture icon, "[​IMG]

Bitterbill likes this.
  37. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Devotee (400) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Society

FWIW, I can see them.

PapaGoose03 and Bitterbill like this.
  38. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Tres weird. Using your mobile or PC/Laptop?

39. MNAle

Society

Laptop. Tried three different browsers: Edge, Chrome, and Opera.

Bitterbill likes this.
  40. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I get that sometimes with peeps' pics and have never figured out why.

MNAle likes this.