Most Underrated beer!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jrnyc, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,311) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

We see threads on overrated breweries and things we want to change about consumers and retailers, how about most underrated beers? Lets show some love and some positivity, I will start it out.

Most underrated beer for me, Barrier Money. Only available on draft with limited local distribution on Long Island and New York City, this stuff is fantastic. If brewed by some of the well known breweries like Hill Farmstead, Trillium, Treehouse, Other Half , etc. , people would go nuts over this stuff.

What is your most underrated beer?

foundersfan1, ceeg and dennis3951 like this.
  2. AustinPollack

AustinPollack Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2014 New York

Lindeman's Cuvee Rene. With all the over sweetened, super fruity beers they put out, this delicious gueuze gets overlooked. It's fantastic and has an amazing price point.

3. mig100

mig100 Savant (985) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Xingu, which really is an amazing Brazilian black lager/schwarzbier and 98% of doppelbock's lol

StrappingYoungLad and TonyLema1 like this.
  4. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Initiate (0) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Amazing? That was a drain-pour for me. Thin and flavorless.

Beefytits4 likes this.
  5. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (226) Mar 28, 2011 New York

As far as Barrier IPAs - I prefer the new Suburbs and Atypical over Money. Then there's Dunegrass DIPA. Much more dank than fruity. But yeah they make alot of great beer. I wouldn't say Money is underrated in the NY area, craft bars get real excited when it comes on draft - just the BA reading populace doesn't hear about it.

6. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (776) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Deschutes Obsidian Stout.

7. DaverCS

DaverCS Zealot (567) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

I think Ommegang as a brewery in general is underrated. They produce MANY quality Belgian-inspired domestic beers. Plus they are half the price of the classic Belgians... I can happily drink 2 Hennepins for the cost of 1 la Chouffe! Now Duvel on the other-hand.....:wink:

Tdizzle, hophead60, jcoleMA66 and 6 others like this.
  8. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California

Who is HF, Other Half, Treehouse & Trillium? I don't understand?

Black Butte Porter
    Big Bear Black Stout
    Hop Shovel

Bshaw22, GetMeAnIPA and Brolo75 like this.
  9. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (207) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

It is too easy to just throw out a local brewery and beer and proclaim them underrated. However, I will go this route...

I find Two Brothers Sidekick Extra Pale Ale to be incredibly tight and refreshing. Regionally, there are so many highly touted Pales (ZD, Daisy Cutter, Fist City, etc.) that not too many BA types get worked up over SideKick. They probably shouldn't, but as a go to, easy to keep on hand beer it really does the trick. Maybe it is taken for granted a little bit...

sludgegnome and djuhnk like this.
  10. thomda11

thomda11 Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 California

I always thought Mission Brewery's Hef is a lot better than the rating it gets on this website. It's one of the better American Hefs I've had.

Tdizzle likes this.
  11. GuitarIPA

GuitarIPA Zealot (529) Mar 24, 2013 Connecticut

Ten Fidy. My personal favorite stout.

12. djuhnk

djuhnk Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2013 Minnesota

+1 for sidekick. It is a perfect harmony between Limey hops and malt, while still remaining dry and drinkable.

There's something to be said about local breweries, because there are many that don't get the hype of a regional brewery because they are too small, while quite possibly making better beer. Maybe it's just me, but hype annoys me. It has its merits, but too often hype will drive people's mentality about beer.

13. esetter

esetter Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2014 Tennessee

Anchor porter. It will score well in a bland porter tasting , promise.

14. Czequershuus

Czequershuus Poo-Bah (1,523) Feb 7, 2014 Minnesota

Epic Escape to Colorado. Maybe I have too much love for this beer, but I can't evangelize enough. Its a great a summertime IPA, light bodied, and wonderfully dry, fruity, bitter - and it gets no attention.

15. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,675) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

16. ELS

ELS Disciple (385) Apr 22, 2012 Florida

Not sure how Ten Fidy is underrated. Most BAs think it's one of the best stouts out there. If it wasn't so easily assessible in most states it probably would be a whale.

17. HopSavant

HopSavant Aspirant (242) Apr 13, 2014 Tennessee

Hoegaarden Original White

Johnct and DaverCS like this.
  18. JTW10

JTW10 Initiate (40) Nov 25, 2013 Pennsylvania

the recent trend seems to be that the highest-rated beers are also the hardest to acquire, which is why you always see very good beers being mentioned in these threads as being "underrated" in the sense that just because you can buy them anywhere doesn't somehow make them worse. you think people go crazy for heady/toppling goliath/treehouse, imagine if old rasputin, double jack, or the sixth glass suddenly became only distributed in-state or something, it would be chaos

Himself likes this.
  19. VegasBeerMan

VegasBeerMan Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2007 Nevada

Rebel Rouser. Thank you, Mr. Adams. Well done.

20. Reds76

Reds76 Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 Maine

Miller Lite. Eat it haters! I'm not saying it is world class or anything close to amazing - but I have enjoyed it since my high school years and still do! I will take a Miller Lite over a poorly done mess of a "craft beer" any day.

21. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,311) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

Scarcity definitely adds to people's perception of the quality of beer. This marketing tactic works on us like bees to honey.

22. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,322) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Fresh squeezed IPA
    Blvd dark truth stout
    Palo santo

23. azorie

azorie Champion (876) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

Easy one Blue moon.
    Sam Adams stock ale.
    Anchor Porter
    SN Tumbler
    SA cream stout
    100's more I could name.
    all easy to drink, none hop bombs....:grinning:

alucard6679 likes this.
  24. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,237) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland

I'm leaving new/local out of the "underated" and doing it based on easy to acquire/anywhere beers. Based on results from a recent multi-person Hefeweisen face off tasting, and such little board discussion, it would have to be Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse. 3 people and we competed Weihenstephaner, SN Keller, the Franz. 2 of us had the Franz rated slightly above Weihenstephaner and the other rated those 2 equal at the top. All 3 are excellent but you never hear anyone talking about Franziskaner at all.

Hendrick24 likes this.
  25. DBCB28

DBCB28 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2014 North Carolina

Barbe Ruby & Indra Kunindra. Loved them both!

Lucular likes this.
  26. zid

zid Champion (881) Feb 15, 2010 New York

It's not exactly polite to knock down @smb 's beer like that. Xingu may not really be a Schwarzbier, but based on your critique, I wonder if you've had many Schwarzbiers. Maybe you have. If anything, you are just proving it a good choice since an underrated beer will not be loved by all. A beer with a rating in the 70s is generally a better candidate for the thread than one in the 90s (which we are already seeing).

gibgink, mig100 and PatrickCT like this.
  27. GuitarIPA

I didn't explain when I posted
    I noticed that when I rated and reviewed...

There are still almost 50 stouts ahead of it on the top beer list - If it wasn't readily available, I think it would be higher on the list.

PatrickCT likes this.
  28. GuitarIPA

"if it wasn't so easily assessable in most states it would probably be a whale - that's what I was thinking.

PatrickCT likes this.
  29. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,675) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

After looking at the top 50 RIS I can see your point. But if one were to look at RIS sales I am sure Ten Fidy would be near the top. I am a NEBCO fan but Imperial Stout Trooper Cherry Vanilla is rated higher? Who the fuck has had it? 31 people.

30. Jnashed

Jnashed Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Virginia

I think that there are so many BBA RIS above Ten Fidy makes it seem like it's rated low, but when you take out the Barrel aged class it is near the top of straight up RIS.

31. ajchocholousek

ajchocholousek Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2011 Minnesota

Throwin' out some more love for Anchor and their oft-underrated, oft-forgotten, Liberty ale. What a beautiful Cascade party that beer is.

32. mig100

mig100 Savant (985) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

It's a sessionable schwarzbier/black lager and great for a hot day where you might want something a little darker than a standard lager, it's not supposed to be thick and malty.

33. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (1,884) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Lot #3 by Evolution Brewing.

Lucular likes this.
  34. WellRested518

WellRested518 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 New York

Hop House, Bpa, & Gnommegeang are some seriously crushable brews.

DaverCS likes this.
  35. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (3,744) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Premium Trader

Sam Adams Doppelbock. It's as good as all of the German made classics.

mig100 and PatrickCT like this.
  36. WellRested518

WellRested518 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2014 New York

Fantome... chasing the ghost is where it's at.

waitwhatamidrinking likes this.
  37. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (230) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

I like Long Trail IPA a lot. Its based on the English style which means its not loaded with hops and bitterness but its very pleasant. Im not a hop bomb guy so I dont need an IPA like that to be content with it.

dank203 likes this.
  38. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,596) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

A fresh Modus Hoparandi is pretty damn good, the fresh part can be tough.

39. WavyC

WavyC Initiate (91) Apr 27, 2014 California

Fresh Squeezed IPA by Deschutes

40. ELS

ELS Disciple (385) Apr 22, 2012 Florida

I was going to say Modus Hoperandi which I think is one of then best IPAs out there. I just wasn't sure if it was underrated because most BA's think it's pretty damn good. It is however under appreciated because I would put it against any IPA whale in a blind taste test.

foundersfan1, SammyJaxxxx and nc41 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.