New Beer Styles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tone77, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tone77

tone77 May 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

What beers do you think should have their own style?

IPA's. The Session IPA would be top of my list. What about NEIPA, or West Coast IPA?

IPL's? Over hopped American Pale Lagers, or a unique style?

Gluten free beers? This covers many styles. You could almost have two different styles, Gluten Free Ales and Gluten Free Lagers.

American Malternative? As someone who grew up on beers like Olde English 800, Schlitz Red Bull, and Colt 45, I hate to see beers like the Bud Light Lime Rita, Redd's Wicked, Colt 45 Blast, among others, being listed as an American Malt Liquor.

What is your opinion on these and what do you think could be a new beer style.

2. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

I agree that the malternatives should be listed seperately or not at all. I earned my malt liquor tick with that natty daddy damn it. Really though they don't fit in the category with the high abv pale lagers some of us drank growing up. Splitting up session IPA I'm kind of split on, but I don't think NE IPA should be its own thing. It's just a hazy juicy version of the style.

Duckaduck, utopiajane and tone77 like this.
  3. EmeraldMist

EmeraldMist Mar 6, 2017 Maryland
    Deactivated

I think hop forward lagers (IPL's) should have there own style definitely. For me at least it's becoming a guessing game when I buy lagers. I have no idea if it's going to be a hop bomb or if it'll be more balanced. Making IPL's a style would make lager purchasing a lot less frustrating.

4. bbtkd

bbtkd Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Bitterbill and utopiajane like this.
  5. akolb

akolb Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

West Coast IPAs should remain under the American IPA style, since the default American IPAs are bitter, piney, and citrusy examples such as Stone IPA and Torpedo that we would describe as West Coast IPAs. The "non-West Coast" IPAs such as malt-forward IPAs are more the exception within the American IPA category, but I don't think the differences are distinct enough to warrant a new style.

We're already getting a new IPA style with the NE-IPAs. Separating session IPAs makes sense (or putting them with the pale ales where they belong) but anything more would be confusing in my opinion.

tone77 likes this.
  6. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Jan 29, 2012 England

None of the aforementioned.

Lurchus, BeerPugz, Gemini6 and 4 others like this.
  7. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Society Trader

None. The currently list of styles is a bit of a mess (not BA's fault) because it defines beer both quantitatively (separating styles by color, IBUs, ABV, etc) and historically (Czech pilsener, Germany pilsener, Helles Lager, etc). Making a new style every time someone adjusts the ABV or hops of an old style doesn't make sense. It would also make sense to consolidate some of the styles that are very similar...but will likely never happen.

BeerPugz, beerguy04, drtth and 4 others like this.
  8. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Already approximately 90 styles too many IMO

9. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It's a fair point but, sadly, the same is true of every other true "beer style" in this "innovative*" craft era - there's currently a thread about "Imperial Porter" where the OP's example is a Chocolate Peanut Butter one :grimacing: .

There is pear-flavored "Pils", all sorts of citrus flavors added to multiple beer styles - I remember when people in this website freaked out over the lime wedge in a served bottle of Mexican beer or the orange slice on the edge of a wit. It's apparently impossible for a US brewer to brew a traditional Berliner Weisse. Yes, in Germany it is traditionally served with a flavored syrup added -so, let the customer decide WHICH flavor.

I read these forums some days and think:

"Wait, what's the date? It's not April 1 - is this some sort of ParodyBeerAdvocate forum? I'm reading about lemon meringue beer, pina colada beer, key lime pie beer? And people claim they like them! Are these "beers" bought in magic shops next to rubber vomit and hot pepper-flavored gum? WTF!" :grinning:

I propose ALL beer styles have a substyle called "Flavored", as in Malt liquor, Flavored or Imperial Porter, Flavored, etc.

* Innovation = Adding non-traditional flavors to a perfectly good, totally innocent beer.

LuskusDelph, ceeg, ecpho and 9 others like this.
  10. bbtkd

Society Trader

Innocent beer - where do I get that? All the ones I get seem guilty as hell :wink:

Rug and beerguy04 like this.
  11. dcotom

dcotom Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Kentucky Common.

12. drtth

drtth Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Good summary. The list is much like the classification of living things before Linnaeus. It has just grown in a haphazard fashion in different ways for different reasons.

TongoRad and Lurchus like this.
  13. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Jul 10, 2011 Virginia
    Society Trader

Whoa...that's exactly what I was thinking about when I wrote the post. We also had the same problem when I help co-author (among many others) the NATO classification guide for IEDs. The problem with doing the whole thing scientifically is you need consensus on the base element on which to divide beer styles.
    With the current system, that is (sort of) yeast with the ale/larger division. That, IMHO, doesn't make any sense since (1) you can lager an ale and don't have to lager a lager and (2) top vs bottom fermenting yeasts don't divide the end product in any meaningful way.
    I'd prefer a classification that began with base malt (barley or wheat or whatever). I'd have to put some actual thought into second/third/fourth levels of classification structure to see how they would flow.

TongoRad and drtth like this.
  14. Lurchus

Lurchus Jan 19, 2014 Germany

Czech beer styles.........czech lager styles:
    Výčepní Pivo, Ležák, Speciální Pivo- all in svetle, cerne, polotmavy.
    Maybe kvasnicove.

15. bbtkd

Society Trader

Before I got into craft or took the time to understand beer, if someone asked what style of beer I liked I would say "dark". To me there was "dark" and "not dark". Along the way I had encountered several dark beers I liked, most of them I later realized were stouts. Part of the reason I got into craft was that I wanted to know why I loved some dark beers, while I couldn't stand others.

I agree with the posts above which talk of the inconsistent classification system which variously considers color, flavor, brewing method, contents, country/region, ABV (imperials), target market (IPA), etc. Wow, no wonder it is confusing and inconsistent.

16. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Belgian Blond and Belgian Strong Golden- two completely different styles and shouldn't be lumped under Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

utopiajane and TonyLema1 like this.
  17. bbtkd

Society Trader

I'm of the mind that there are already way too many styles, and the whole style list needs to be overhauled. Should have about 20 main styles based on brewing methods, each which could have a few sub-styles. It needs to be consistent, and if so then the number of styles will decrease markedly.

LuskusDelph and cavedave like this.
  18. patto1ro

patto1ro Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

English watery IPA. I've added it to my BeerSmith so it doesn't keep telling me my recipes aren't true to style. And 19th-century X Ale. Quite a few others, too, but it's too late and I'm too jetlagged to remember them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.