New Beer Sunday (week 601)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by utopiajane, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Let's lift our glasses to the lager whose lovely looks and lasting impressions always leave us in good company and in good cheer! Welcome to new Beer Sunday. Today is the day and this is the place for you to TRY a new beer and TELL us about it. Beer is appreciated in each of five categories. And this style, the lager has made a roaring come back over the last few years to show that it has appeal, staying power and a broad range of expression from both malts and hops. Saranac has two distinct oktoberfest style beers in their fall case. The way I feel about NBS is "They like beer, let's show them some beer!"

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is their Marzen Fest. I bring it up because last year Sierra Nevada put some audacious hops on an orange colored oktoberfest. This year It was much lighter. You will notice that Saranac has showed a little hop in their marzen. That's the darker one. I want to do this one first.

Saranac Marzen Fest.

Pours clear orange and bubbly. Thick head of foam that fell pretty fast. Nose is toasty bread and the last of summer a ripe peach, spice. Cool minty hop and grass. Then earthy the fruity scent goes away entirely and was it all just an illusion? It's replaced by a firm toasty scent. It exceeds the color, the nose does. The orange does not tell you how hearty the malts are. Drinks toasty and breaddy with a soft floral on it from hops. It's very nice. The malts are full of flavor and they have an earthiness themselves that's dry. The beer is delightfully bubbly and dry. There is a lasting bitterness and it is very graceful. Finishes with a dry biscuity texture and malty. The hop lingers only in bitterness and that very seductive and understated floral. Saranacs website did not tell me which hops they used but they did say light and dark Munich malts.

Good morning everyone Cheers and Happy New Don't Drink That The Lager It's for New Beer Sunday

Gonna Have Good Time

2. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: A New Wit in Town

Mornin' NBSers and thanks to @utopiajane for the start.

August seems to be the month for family travel as we have some more out of town guests. So I'm not sure I'll be around much today to read about some of the beers folks have lined up but will be looking through today's thread later on for ideas about things to try and things to avoid.

Weather here today expected to be warm and muggy. (In otherwords, "uncomfortable." :slight_smile:) Hopefully it will be temperate enough by early evening for the planned picnic dinner in the park/arboretum not too far from here.

While helping one of our guests fix breakfast for all, I'm having the Stone Citrusy Wit.

As usual my review, mostly complete is to be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/222187/?ba=drtth#review

On the whole I give this beer above average marks in that it seems a well made Wit that hits it's target. The citrus flavors substituted for the traditional Curacao orange are definitely noticable. But that all said I'll probably be giving it a pass in the future as I'm much more fond of the Curacao orange in a Wit beer than I am this Tangerine and lime leaf combination from Stone. (In other words it has not displaced the Allagash White from my have-some-often list. :slight_smile:)

The person leading the breakfast charge is trying out a new recipe he found online and which I'm keeping track of for possible future use since it sounds tasty. This is to be a grilled breakfast, so we've fired up the grill to try out this experiment for both of us. Basically you start with some pizza dough and make 8" circles with thick edges. After that has grilled a bit to firm up and create grill lines you add in lots of shredded cheese (your choice) leaving a shallow depression in the middle. Then as the cheese warms you break an egg into the "hole" in the cheese and cook the whole thing until the egg is done. Serve on a plate with a side of sausage gravy to be poured on top. (Clearly not finger food. :slight_smile:)

Cheers, all!

#2 drtth, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  3. utopiajane

Good morning. :grinning:

VABA and drtth like this.
  4. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Not a lager or pils but new to me . . .

[​IMG]

Beautiful shiny copper colored ale with a thick white cap and good lacing.

Aroma is of bright, spicy hops covering rich malt. The hops carry a darker shade of the spectrum while remaining in sharp focus. Malt is light caramel that comes across as clean rather than sweet. Hard to say which comes first, malt or hops, as they appear to be blended together so well.

Taste is tasty. Hops are present from start to finish but they work with the malt rather than disguising it with a hop tang. Finish is clean, crisp and leaves a mildly flavorful hot note in the aftertaste. The whole displays a complexity that falls seamlessly together so well it makes the effort appear effortless.

Body is medium-full with a rounded character that shows no sharp edges.

Overall this is a very well balanced brew that touches all the bases.

5. kemoarps

kemoarps Poo-Bah (1,976) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

My parents came to the real world a week or two ago and we went out to the mountains and found some water. It was awesome. Or at least as awesome as a weekend with my parents can be (I love them dearly: they are wonderful people, but I just can't really stand to be around them for very long at a time).
    What does this have to do with today's NBS? While picking up supplies for the weekend, I picked up this bottle of Commons' Boysen. Both my mom and my dad gave me a hard time about grabbing a fruit beer, but I thought I'd remembered hearing some favourable things about the brewery, and, well, I love berries! Boysenberries are in the upper half of my berry hierarchy, so I thought this would be an interesting exploration. Spoiler alert (and one of the few times you'll hear me admit this): my parents were right (just not for the reasons they thought).

Popping this beer and pouring it into a glass I am surprised by how deep and dark it truly is in the glass. Thickly opaque just shy of black (but more rusty brown than the truly reddish edges I was expecting), it is capped by an inviting and persistent silky head that lingers for a bit before fading back into it's full liquid state. Decent but not great lacing.

Upon initial opening, the nose brought a burly bouquet of berry sweetness that is actually almost more cherry (and a touch medicinal/popcicle) than any true berry. Allowing the beer to settle into it's new abode in my glass and digging in with my nose I find this syrupy sweetness has been wholly replaced by a generic grainy maltiness with some yeasty edges and an almost tobacco-like darkness to its soul. Joseph Conrad would be proud.

Starting while still cold, this dark grains/bit of yeast force is again the dominant factor, though there is a hint of berry dashing at the corners, perpetually just out of sight. Allowing the beer to warm doesn't really seem to invite the complexity I was hoping for, but to simply allow space for the alcohol and medicinal sweet qualities to step forward. It's billed as a farmhouse ale with berries but it reminds me much more of some underwhelming old ales I've had that feature much more of a brown than a colourful palette to the palate. Instead of tart yeast/etc meeting sweet/tart berries as I had (foolishly?) hoped for, I was met with some ill-disciplined leather and tobacco with a sickly sweet crest that gives me anxiety for the next time I wake up.

I dunno. It's kind of a mess. Some of it is on me and my expectations, but at the same time...
    At least the body was enjoyable. Heavily carbonated which makes sense but isn't my first most favourite characteristic, the intervening liquid is light enough but silky smoothe and the real highlight for me.

I would not pick this up again. I'm glad I tried it, I suppose, but would far rather be drinking something else. This happens sometimes! But it's informative even in its sins (in the original translation of missing the mark).

Hope your liquid journey is no less informative, but maybe a little more enjoyable!

Cheers

6. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]
    Today is a study in proper glassware with Defiance Brewing's Joe Man Bun German-style pilsener. ABV 5.5% And for whatever reason, I believe I've reviewed more Defiance beers on NBS than any other other brewery. I don't have any idea why that is.

I first poured it in my Defiance balloon glass, and saw that the head was completely flat. Then I poured a second can into a fluted pilsener glass. Here's the results after some time passes, there's more head retention in the pilsener glass:
    [​IMG]

So here's my thoughts from drinking from the proper glass:

Look: Pale straw yellow, clear, with a soapy white head that recedes to a chunky film. Lacing is initially good, lots of thick webby bands.

Aroma: Balanced with a good sweet cereal grain note up front then the nose gets really spicy. Saaz hops?

Taste: Balanced again. Starts off with a huge dose of malty sweetness then the hops emerge with dried grassiness and a really nice spiciness. The finish is slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly dry.

Overall: It was much better out of the proper glassware. 3.7 overall rating. This review is probably one of my least descriptive, but it is what it is. This beer is sweet, grassy, and spicy. Oh, and what is a "man bun"? Here you go:
    [​IMG]

#6 JuicesFlowing, Aug 28, 2016
    Ozzylizard, Betolito, dcotom and 28 others like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,872) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Summer of Pilsners – My first crowler ever!!

I have a very good friend who gave me a present of a crowler of Victory beer labeled as Air Drop.

I hope that I can accurately relate the story behind this beer. Bill Covaleski is one of the co-owners of Victory Brewing Company (or he used to be before the Artisanal Beverage Ventures business deal) and he traveled to Australia and New Zealand a year or so ago. One of the purposes of the trip was to learn more about the hops grown there. He met lots of folks including an impassioned bunch of fellows from New Zealand. These fellows came to the US recently and attended the Craft Brewers Conference in Philadelphia. Since they were in the area they came to Victory and helped brew a beer that features New Zealand hops. Pretty exciting, huh?

I went to the Victory website to learn a bit more about this beer:

[​IMG]

“Air Drop

Enjoy Air Drop, our collaboration brew with Garage Project available at all of our brewpub locations.

Composition

Malt: Pilsner, Acid

Hops: Southern Cross, Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, Riwaka, Pacifica

ABV: 6.10%

Flavor

This beer is loaded with hops, intense aromas of citrus rind, meyer lemon, pine, light fruits (pear and white grape), with hints of tropical aromas lingering as well. The flavor is bold, with a pronounced initial bitterness coupled with the juicy hop flavors that mirror the preceding aromas. There is a subtle malt sweetness, and a distinct Pilsner crispness that finishes the experience on your palate.”

So, how well does New Zealand hops work in a Pilsner? To quote the wise owl: Let’s find out.

Served in my Polish Pilsner glass:

Appearance:

Golden colored with a two finger white head.

Aroma:

The first impression is the hop aroma of herbal with some Pilsner malt aroma as well.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose. There is herbal/earthy hop flavors with just a bit of spicy flavor as well. The hop flavors are accompanied by a Pilsner Malt backbone.. There is a firm bitterness present.

Mouthfeel:

Moderate carbonation, light- moderate body with a very pleasant dry finish.

Overall:

This beer features the New Zealand hop flavors but is nicely accompanied by the Pilsner Malt backbone. I like this beer.

Cheers to Victory and the Garage Project for brewing a very unique and intriguing Pilsner!!

@zid @rotsaruch @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @Ranbot @nc41

P.S. If you want more information about the New Zealand fellows (Garage Project): http://garageproject.co.nz/pages/about

[​IMG]

Ozzylizard, Ranbot, zid and 33 others like this.
  8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (7,996) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Good 7:45 morning NBSers! I'll be back later with some new brew but first, some housekeeping: NBS BIF #4, Monkeys With Knives, is on! As those who have participated in the past can attest, this is a lot of fun. If you would like to sign up, or just have questions, please check out this thread: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/nbs-bif-4-sign-up-and-questions-thread.444700/ I'll be doing pairings next week (after Labor Day), we'll be shipping late September, with an 'official" share date of October 9. if that day doesn't work for you, there is some wiggle room (@gopens44 , I'm looking at you :wink:).

On a more personal note, I got a couple more reviews up, if you're interested: http://www.taptrail.com/bellingham-brewed-reviews-gruff-brewing-belgian-blonde/

http://www.taptrail.com/bellingham-brewed-reviews-north-fork-doolittle-sour/

Be back later with beer!

Ozzylizard, gopens44, LeRose and 16 others like this.
  9. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (3,751) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

[​IMG]

7.5% alcohol. 85 IBU. Introduced in 2011. Brewed in Pennsylvania.

4.1/5 rDev +1%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Tröegs Perpetual IPA has a medium, off-white head, a mostly clear, bubbly, golden appearance, and moderate lacing left behind. The aroma is of fruity hop oils and sweet, white bread. Taste is of sweet white bread, white bread crust, and citrus rind hop oil. Mouthfeel is medium, and Tröegs Perpetual IPA finishes dry and drinkable.

RJT

Ozzylizard, Betolito, dcotom and 25 others like this.
  10. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,276) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning New BSers! Hello from sunny and warm Crematoria (AKA TX) - sooo much nicer than NW PA! Here I sweat like a peeg (To quote Tuco (Eli Wallach's best role, IMHO)) and love every minute of it! Mrs Lizard and I brought the girls down to rehome them in a private pond down the road in Seguin - they're only four years old but are getting too big to overwinter inside.

[​IMG]

Yesterday we hit Jester King - it was kind of a slow day there.

[​IMG]

We stopped to pick up some Fen Tao for the next NBS BIF but the bottles sold out before we got there. There was still some on tap, better then last year's version. Oh well, still got some stuff for the next BIF.

Then on down the road to Blanco to Real Ale. This year there was a sign along the highway showing the way. If it was there previous years,I missed it. A decent SECOND FLOOR taproom exists with food available at a food truck outside - there is an elevator if you have trouble with stairs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today's New Beer:

[​IMG]

$ 3.02 (Including tax)/16 oz can ($ 0.189/oz) at Spec’s in Shertz, TX
    Undated 16 oz can at 42 degrees into a hand washed and dried JK snifter
    Aroma – roasted malt and caramel
    Head small (Maximum < two cm, aggressive pour), light brown, thin and frothy, diminishing to a three mm ring and thin layer
    Lacing excellent – complete rings of tiny bubbles
    Body dark brown/black, opaque
    Flavor – dates and figs, caramel; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
    Palate full, creamy, soft carbonation

A very tasty Baltic porter/RIS style beer, flavorful and chewy

Appearance 4, Aroma 4.25, Flavor 4.25, Palate 4.25, Overall 4.25. Rating 4.24, Avg 3.92, rDEV +6.0%

Incidentally, yesterdays New Beer Saturday post:

[​IMG]

Betolito, Jacobier10, dcotom and 28 others like this.
  11. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,078) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

My new beer of the week...
    [​IMG]
    Pipeworks Simcoe IIPA

Had a bottle on Friday and it was so good, I ended up grabbing a couple more.

One from that couple happening right here, right now, true believers...
    [​IMG]
    I've gotten berry aromas and flavors in beer before, but nothing as distinct as this...

On the nose, berry and citrus are quite clear...
    [​IMG]

These impressions are substantiated and clarified with the sip...
    [​IMG]
    Blackberries and lime are the flavors I get most strongly, with an almost earthy character, somewhat suggestive of mild pine, rounding off the flavor profile. The body is neither light nor heavy, with an ample amount of carbonation washing the tongue. Slight drying on the finish lingers behind, clearly calling for another sip.

I'm glad to be encountering more of the Pipeworks IIPA series. I've had the Citra, Mosaic, and Amarillo so far. Citra's probably (barely) my favorite, with Simcoe and Mosaic vying for second, and Amarillo maybe just barely in third - but they're all really good. It's gonna depend on your hop preferences obviously, and this Simcoe IIPA really gave me a much greater appreciation for the hop.

Here's to new beer in your glass - cheers, NBS... :wink:

#11 Greywulfken, Aug 28, 2016
    Ozzylizard, Betolito, dcotom and 27 others like this.
  12. microbrewlover

microbrewlover Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2006 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]

Pours a mostly transparent pale straw color with a big, fluffy white head, some of which sticks around the whole way through and lots of lacing.

The smell is full of cracker like malts, musty wet hay, sweet malts and pine; it makes you want to dig in.

The taste mostly follows the nose with cracker like and sweet malts dominating. The feel is crisp and clean all the way though and the finish is slightly dry with a hint of pine. Overall, try it!

Ozzylizard, Betolito, dcotom and 23 others like this.
  13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,676) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Another beer to send my dad on a mission to bring down this week. Sounds good, does it follow the style of Jack Abby IPL given the hop billing?

smanson56 likes this.
  14. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,751) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

That breakfast sounds amazing!

TheDoctor and smanson56 like this.
  15. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,656) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Holy Hell!!! I'm hungry now!!! I'm cutting and pasting your "lite breakfast" on to a Word doc. Thanks!

woemad and smanson56 like this.
  16. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,656) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Simians with Serrated Swords.... (if this BIF gets too BIG for the original name):grinning:

#16 2beerdogs, Aug 28, 2016
    larryi86, smanson56, cavedave and 2 others like this.
  17. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Trop Hop a Tropical IPA from Twin Elephant Brewing. This beer is not what I think of as an IPA but it tastes so good that I don't care. Trop Hop is 6.3 ABV and loaded with Citra hops. It's a pale orange color like what you would get if you added to much water to frozen OJ concentrate. There is a nice white head and a mix of fruity aromas mango citrus ect. The tastes is very fruity starts a bit sweet and end a bit tart. The finish is Citra Hops . I enjoyed the beer a lot ended up drinking 3 pints of it. Another fine beer from a young Brewery that seem to have it's act together.

dcotom, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 15 others like this.
  18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,872) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Dale, Victory Air Drop is only available on draft at the Victory Brewpubs. Does your dad live near Downingtown?

I have only had a few of the Jacks Abby IPLs and this beer did not taste like any of the beers I had.

Cheers!

MacMalt and nc41 like this.
  19. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

First NBS offering of the day is technically my second beer from my Ohio haul. One many of you will be familiar with but a first for myself.

[​IMG]

Great Lakes Oktoberfest

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
    Märzen / Oktoberfest / 6.50% ABV

3.96/5 rDev -1% | Avg: 4
    look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Best by 11/02/16

L-The beer pours an orangish amber and clear. The head is quite modest despite a fairly aggressive pour. It is white and stands one cm. Lacing is mostly non existent and the head eventually disappears completely. High marks for clarity and color but a deduction for the lack of head retention.

S-The smell is pretty clean as you would expect with hints of brown bread. The most pervasive element of the nose is a generic sweetness. No alchohol is perceived.

T- Up front on the palate you get the brown bread perceived in the nose. You do get a hint of sweetness in the mid palate. Fortunately the hops enter at this point and to a good job of balancing the sweetness with a spicy earthy quality. Although the beer first seems like it might get cloying, the finish does turn dry as the hops make their presence felt.

F- The mouthfeel on this one is medium. The carbonation is prickly but overall fairly light.

O- The beer falls squarely within style guidlines for a Marzen. The only real flaws I see are the lack of head retention and overly sweet nose. This may be do to the slightly higher than normal abv for the style. The beer certainly falls on the sweeter side of ledger, so those who dislike sweetness in their beer should probably look more at Festbiers rather than Marzens.

I'd like to give a shout out to North High Brewings Cucumber Wheat. I couldn't find it on their website, and I don't believe it's in the database here. The first of the Ohio beers I consumed was the growler purchased at the brewery. It was described to us as "straight up cucumber juice", and that was no lie. Really light, easy drinking, and refreshing summer brew. If you hit up the brewery and are looking for something light and different give it a go. It was easily the biggest surprise of our trip.

20. utopiajane

Hi again. I thought I would make this a Two Beer Sunday. This is another beer from saranacs new fall case.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Oktoberfest is a little darker than Sierra Nevada's. Theirs is a 4 this one is just a 7 or an 8. Malts are biscuity and have a light toasty quality with a hint at sweetness from a combination of Munich and Vienna malts. Their hop is cool and herbal and not forward. Spicy with sweet earth and touch of pungent herbal. On the palate the beer is deeper than the color would suggest and shows me a bit more color and flavor. It's the Munich malt that shows you a slight glimpse at the bittering hop. Mt. Hood. The flavor is from Saphir. No caramel, no diacetyl, no dms, no fruity esters form yeast. Impeccable and unique. I love the style and I am finding a broad range of expression within a small margin of differences. These hops show spice and a graceful moderate bitterness.

Sensational with hop spice and a citric like zest.

A terrific case that showed a range that was very enjoyable. From a pale kellerbier to a black lager and two marzens in between, well done and an all around good showing from Saranac. I can't rate this one again but it is different from last year and 4's across the board!

Cheers and Happy Taste the Case Sunday!

#20 utopiajane, Aug 28, 2016
    Ozzylizard, Ranbot, Betolito and 32 others like this.
  21. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,208) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

Just got back from a walk in the neighborhood and I'm ready anytime now for summer to be over. Temps are only around 90 today but the humidity is stupid high...

Today's new beer is one from the Stone 20th anniversary encore series - the Unapologetic DIPA.

I found the aroma to be too subdued but it has some nice flavor combinations with peach, apricot, mango. Nice and juicy with just a touch of sweetness. Highly drinkable and another nice IPA from Stone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/241991/?ba=richj1970#review

Ozzylizard, Betolito, dcotom and 24 others like this.
  22. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Turned out very well!

I chatted with our guest a bit over breakfast and he remembered the online location where he found the base recipe he started from to give it his personal twist.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...illed-breakfast-pizza-with-sausage-gravy.html

The link has a few details about process, etc. that I didn't include in my description.

Enjoy!

23. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

That sounds like a variety pack I would greatly enjoy. I'll have to make an effort to cross the state line and find it.

VABA and utopiajane like this.
  24. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,751) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Love the art for that beer!

zid likes this.
  25. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (306) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

So I'm not going to give a huge explanation in detail for this beer, but I will say that the taste is great (the Citra hops are really up front) and it has a touch of the "traditional" Stone taste that runs together really well.

It's kind of like Stone's take on a 3 Floyds Pale Ale (which I love) to me, but just bigger and bolder

I'll have to drink this whole bomber, but it's a winner so far

[​IMG]

Betolito, dcotom, Jacobier10 and 22 others like this.
  26. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,676) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Yes and no, Downingtown is an hour drive, but I feel bad enough putting him on a Sly Fox hunt, and Neshaminy Creek. It's not everywhere out my dads way.

27. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,375) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Good afternoon NBS! After a long night at the virtual bar, I have made it to NBS with at least one new beer. I am glad I have a light beer for today after a late night and a light brunch.
    [​IMG]

This beer pours a little lighter and a tad more yellow than the above picture shows. I was hoping to get a nice shot of a frothy head for a last pic, but what you see is about the high point of the head for this beer. It is a sour beer, so this isn't overly concerning.

As I go into take a sniff, I see the the results of a nucleated glass throwing bubbles to the surface in a nice semi-circle, but nothing holds. The nose is lime and the ocean, which I believe the brewer was shooting for. The thought of an earthy spice floats past quickly as the sea breeze carries the salt and lime deeper into my nose.

The expectation the nose leads you to believe are fulfilled by the taste of this beer. Lime tartness in the forefront, with a nice salinity level less than sea water, but about what I like to get my water to before throwing in some pasta. Given the brewer, I might have expected the tartness to be a little stronger or last longer, but it does fade and allows the crackery malt co-star to have a part of the final scene.

[​IMG]

This beer is Dogfish Head's Sea Quench Ale, a beer that is a "hybrid" of three styles, added in succession (Kolsch, Gose, Berlinerweiss), but I can let you listen to Sam tell you what the brewers were thinking:

This beer is definitely more in your face than their quality peach Berlinerweiss Festina Peche. I have not had a Gose or Kolsch by Dogfish so I can give no comparison there. However I do see DFH did a Festina Peche with Lemon, Lime, and Salt at one point, I wonder if this is something that grew out of that one-off.

I would argue (and you could perhaps surmise from my description) this beer is more Gose that Berliner than Kolsch. In fact, though the process, techniques, and ingredients for a Kolsch might have been a part of this beer - I'm not sure once you start adding flavors and layers you can maintain the impression of the starting beer in the final product.

Regardless, this was an enjoyable beer, and one I will buy again. I like the fact the end taste pushes aside the opening flavors to give a little refreshment to the palate after the excitement of those sour notes.

Ozzylizard, Betolito, dcotom and 28 others like this.
  28. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NBS entry #2 or NGLBS #2 if you prefer.

[​IMG]

From a mix pack. Best by 11/03/16

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold

Great Lakes Brewing Co.
    Dortmunder / Export Lager / 5.80% ABV

4.17/5 rDev +2.2% | Avg: 4.08
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L- Living up to it's name the beer pours a beautiful clear gold. You can read through this beer. The head is 2 fingers of fluffy white foam. Retention is good and the beer has legs. Even after a fair amount of time their is still a ring and large central island.

S- The nose starts out with the spicy hop aroma. There is a light whiff of sulfur from time to time, but it isn't strong enough to be offputting and is acceptable within the style. There is breadiness detectable in the nose is more that of biscuits or fresh italian bread. Its a good strong nose for a lager.

T- On the palate you get the spicy hops and bready malts fighting for dominance up front with the malts winning out at the back of the palate. The beer finishes just slightly sweet.

F- The mouthfeel is smooth and not quite oily. Carbonation after the initial pour is on the lighter side of medium.

O- This is a really great example of the Dortmunder style lager that meets every point in the style guidlines. It's the kind of beer you buy and drink while watching the game before you realize it it's gone. Wish it was readily available in Vermont.

VABA, Ozzylizard, dcotom and 25 others like this.
  29. smanson56

smanson56 Champion (807) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Good afternoon NBS followers. Thank you to Maria to the great start as always. If I drag on a little this afternoon it's because I've been pretty much running on empty since 4:00am Friday. Had to attend a Black tie affair on Friday evening that well lasted into Saturday morning. I really hate big affairs that don't have good or at least passable beer. Made the early trip Saturday to Trillium for the Headroom release and traveled home to make another dinner affair Saturday evening. Needless to say no beer at all here but some passible Red Wines but the main course Ravioli were fantastic. Figs caramelized in a brown butter sauce with crispy prosciutto over a really nice cheese ravioli. And as if two late nights weren't enough we were up early today to kayak on the Merrimack River with some friends the sights were great with 2 eagle sightings with so many other birds it was hard to keep track
    So this will bring me to my New Beer for this Headroom from Trillium.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure where to start but this beer pours a very opaque yellow orange color. Yes this is where the term juice bomb comes from. Looks almost like a glass of orange juice.
    The nose is fruited with pineapple and mango coming to the front for me but there are a lot more subtle overtones hiding in the background.
    The taste is smooth. Not overpowering in anyway Lots of fruit in the front with a nice bitterness in the back. I don't find any one fruit over powering the others this is a great blend of many different flavors. This is a fantastic blending of hops!
    The mouthfeel is thick and almost chewy but nothing less than I expect from a beer of this class.
    Overall this is a great DIPA perhaps in a class of it's own. How do I rate this beer. I've yet to rate any beer a perfect 5 and well this won't be my first. I think this beer is great and perhaps on or above the level of Dinner from MBC. But since I have both fresh in my fridge right now I think for my own peace of mind it is time to do a side by side tasting. I already know they look nothing alike. But as far as the nose and taste I think for my own piece of mind I need both beers together. So today is the day. and I will report back later with my findings.

30. cjgiant

Society

Just had this again recently (on tap), and initially was thinking it was a little too sweet. The I got into the glass, and started enjoying the bread notes and malt sweetness. I really did enjoy the beer and its sweetness, but if I wanted to pick nits, I wish the spicy notes you mentioned had a little more presence than what I was getting.

31. cjgiant

Society

Really enjoyed the North Fork DooLittle review - well done!

MacMalt, woemad and BBThunderbolt like this.
  32. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,019) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut

[​IMG]
    So I have to admit, when I first heard of this brewery starting up in the long-run inn, run by THAT family, I rolled my eyes. It didn't help that I abhor musicals and everything related to them. I pretty much figured it was a known but fading brand trying to hop on the craft beer train for one last attempt at revival.
    All of that said, I am extremely happy with everything I have tried from them and this is no exception. Nice and hoppy, clean tasting, great head, clear gold color, great aroma.
    Lesson learned, any new beer/brewery may be great despite your prejudices.

dcotom, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 16 others like this.
  33. OldTownBeerGeek

OldTownBeerGeek Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2016 Virginia

Good afternoon NBS! It's another hot one in the DC area, which is why I can't bring myself to get on the fest/pumpkin beer train just yet. Instead, I'm sticking with a refreshing summer beer: Little Flowers, a Saison from Hardywood Park Craft Brewert in Richmond.

[​IMG]

Appearance: light golden, a little cloudy, with a fluffy three finger head that sticks around for awhile.

Aroma: Hay, lemon zest, and a little funkiness.

Taste: a burst of citrus like lemon, white grapes and orange zest hits you up front, with the barnyard farmhouse taste from the Brett bringing up the rear - not enough to make it super funky, but enough to remind you its a saison. There is an initial sourness as well that fades as it warms.

Mouthfeel: light and effervescent with above average carbonation.

Overall: a light a refreshing saison that's great for a hot summer day. Not too funky and not too fruity. Cheers!

Ozzylizard, Betolito, dcotom and 22 others like this.
  34. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

I know what your saying. I would have liked them to linger a bit further into the finish. Still really enjoyable regardless.

cjgiant likes this.
  35. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Greetings fellow NBSers! A cloudy morning here in the Fourth Corner, and it looks like our recent hot (in relative terms) stretch has snapped. Had a pretty interesting week; Tuesday I went with some friends to a county park that isn't always accessible, due to the road leading up to it being a private logging road. In Canyon Lake park: http://www.whatcomcounty.us/1967/Canyon-Lake-Community-Forest is a stand of the largest old-growth trees left in the state. We didn't hike up there, instead opting for the easier walk around the lake. After we left we swung by one of favorite area breweries, the North fork Brewery, Pizzeria, Beer Shrine and Wedding Chapel, where the brewery gave us some tastes of upcoming projects. The highlight, however, was a glass (OK, two glasses) of DooLittle. A sour that was fermented with native Deming WA bugs. No exaggeration, this beer stood with all the best sours I've tasted, from all the top breweries. In the world. It spent 2-1/2 years in barrel until it met Eric's standards. Eric has been doing a great job with his sour program, and another treat was Grope for Luna, a grape sour, aged in wine barrels.

On Thursday I got out of town a bit. My work does Camp Boundary for the employees every year. I didn't go for a 3-day camp, but chose a day trip, to a state park in the San Juan Islands: http://parks.state.wa.us/594/Sucia-Island . It was lovely warm and sunny day, and adventures and beers were had. Yesterday, the roller derby league I volunteer with held a free, outdoor bout, and i provided my usual security services. And today, I'm here with NBS homies!

First up on the beer horizon, is a Lacto sour from the border town of Blaine (fun fact, the name of the sports teams at the Blaine schools is The Borderites): https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45649/246708/ . A nice little brew that would pair well with some local oysters.

Be back in a bit!

36. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

In retrospect, I should have given that beer a higher score. Maybe even a whole point. It was phenomenal.

37. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Happy NBS. I had this beer this morning, but am just getting around to posting about it.

A dark amber and orange with a big 3 finger sand colored head. Good retention that dies to a thin collar. Spotty lacing decorates my glass. The aroma is quite citrusy with grapefruit, oranges, along with some sweet honey and caramel. The hops stand out with grapefruit, and orange flavor that mellows with the honey sweetness. The finish is bitter pine and grapefruit. Medium body with ample carbonation that is bitter and dry. Solid IIPA and it reminds me of local Tyranena's Citra IIPA.

[​IMG]

Ozzylizard, Betolito, dcotom and 21 others like this.
  38. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,979) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

New Marzen Sunday (week 601)

Greetings fellow NBSers from on the ridge in Mid Hud Val, NY. Well, today was another crazy day at work that has left me incredibly tired, also incredibly gratified, and incredibly realistic. Tired because August is supposed to be a quiet month at work, and instead today was one of the top ten most busy Sundays in the history of the recycle center. Gratified because it has become obvious that the recycle center has upwards of 200 new customers since last year at this time, and because those customers loaded me up today with appreciation and 'thanks from the garden' that included 20+ lbs; of tomatoes (some of which I shared with folks I love) and multiple pounds of beans, zucchini, and cucumbers. Realistic because I have come to understand this summer that I don't have the physical ability any more to do the job properly and safely when it is this busy, and likely will be forced to retire come spring (or sooner).

So, here's to retirement, which thankfully a life of hard work has left me the ability to choose. I only wish I had a better beer in my glass right now. I love Jack's Abby's bottom fermented takes on styles traditionally brewed with ale yeast, and their house lager kicks fucking ass. This beer, Copper Legend, is a disappointment, and I do not recommend it. It is not full of aroma, not full of flavor, not a good representative of the style, and is a complete meh beer. Read the harsh truth, and a -19% rdev, here

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26520/72867/?ba=cavedave#review

[​IMG]

Hope you have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

Ozzylizard, zid, Jacobier10 and 27 others like this.
  39. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,486) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

I was super excited to try their beers and have yet to be disappointed. That said, I still avoided the IPA because since because they mainly brew lagers I figured it was just an excuse to get money from hop heads. Good to know (not that I had any doubts) that I am a prejudiced, judgmental dick:grinning:

#39 TheDoctor, Aug 28, 2016
    woemad and BBThunderbolt like this.
  40. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,481) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBS, hope everyone is doing well! Just got off home from New York, almost 3 hours on the road, time to relax with some from fresh IPAs (have way too many to review today, but I will do my best to get the reviews up). First up is Trillium Pier thanks @CanConPhilly.

4.3/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thank you CanConPhilly for this
    16 oz can, dated 8/18/16, poured into a teku

A- Super hazy golden orange with a two finger white head.

S- Citrus/citrus zest, some sweet oranges, some tropical, a little floral and earthy.

T- Citrus zest, zippy citrus, wheat, earthy/slightly resiny finish, floral, some sweeter tropical fruits.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A tasty hoppy wheat ale, really more of a IPA.

★ 405 characters

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.