New Beer Sunday (week 623)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by utopiajane, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Winter is lovely and white
    with soft sounds that can't wake you
    which is why a snowy morning is always filled with delight.

Cheers everyone and welcome to New Beer Sunday. Today is the day and this is the place for you to TRY a new beer and TELL us about it. Beer is appreciated in each of five categories; appearance, taste, smell, mouthfeel and overall impression. Today I have the last of my winter beers before I start digging in to my new spring selections.

This is a winter ale from Davidson Brothers Brewing in Glens Falls New York. When I tried this beer I was really surprised at how much I liked it. It uses saaz and willamette hops and is somewhere between styles I would say. They are calling it a winter ale, BA is calling it a winter warmer and ratebeer says it's an American strong ale. Winter warmer is not the style that came to mind as I drank this beer which did not include any additions, no spices and no adjuncts. It's just under 6 percent.

Happy New What Kind of Beer Is This Sunday!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pours clear and black. Nice creamy head of chocolate colored foam that lasted long enough. Nose is very roasty. Spicy hop with a succulent herbal. Cocoa , nuts and those passionate hops. Earth grass and a touch of sweet sugary caramel. It has a sweetness on the nose and smells like cocoa puffs for a minute.

Taste follows the nose all the way. Twigs, tree bark and burnt toast. A touch of buttery caramel to smooth all that and let you see the hop bitter at the finish. Bubbly but does not bite . Spice, raisins and rich bread. A touch sweet in the finish. Who would have thought that those hops with their herbal would marry so well with this roasty malt. Usually you see these hops on paler beer.

This was somewhere between hoppy brown and robust porter. Drank lightly enough but full of stout like flavors that were somehow not that heavy. The caramel was nutty and very firm. Hard crack caramel that gives a light toffee flavor. The roasty malt has a touch of light char to dry it out in the finish and it goes down like beer candy. I was surprised at how much I liked this beer and thought it was fun to drink. That's the first time I think I have said that.

Tall Dry Grass

2. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,738) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning Maria, and every NBS fellas.

So, as I said in the specific haul pictures thread, I've been meaning to try the brewery Founders for many months. Truth be told, I'd never have heard of Founders before joining BA, yet perusing this site and a few mercurial threads it seems logical that this brewery was top notch, it does feel good to finally try something you have been err.. I was going to say 'fantasizing' about. Let's say that trying and sipping on a couple of their brews yesterday evening left me puzzled in a good way. Especially FBS, and even more so KBS.

Today I decided to keep at least one to participate in NBS and this should be... Backwoods bastard.

[​IMG]

I have chosen to pour this Scotch Ale into a mug, instead of another glassware that wouldn't fit. And I don't own any proper Founders glass anyway. Best by 04/06/17...

Backwoods bastard is pretty heavy, as puts the label 'Extra Strong Beer' (11,1%)..Oh, 'bière extra forte' it's even in french. We appreciate it, but I guess this translation is more aimed at the québécois, because we normally don't get this in France.

This has a brownish color, taste bourbon, brown sugar, milk.. this is definitely a very complex brew and I don't have the knowledge or palate to detect every aroma. I've been milking this for an hour now, still do as I write this. You don't chug a beer like that uh?

Overall, an excellent Scotch Ale which is a style I don't remember ever trying, and I have proudly added another major American brewery to my 'bucket list'. Still looking forward to try new ones, but this should be for a different thread.

Have a good Sunday.

Hoos78, superspak, richj1970 and 52 others like this.
  3. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: American Porter

Mornin' NBSers, with special greetings to our hostess for the day and to all you pursuers of practical potables.

Weather here is shaping up to be quite nice. A bit on the chilly side but the sun is out for a change and there's no precipitation forecast.

Well it's my turn to make the Sunday breakfast so I've decided to serve some Huevos Rancheros made from scratch. Between getting the salsa and refried beans ready and starting to cook the eggs and prepping the dish for serving, I thought I'd have a new beer while waiting. Got to give those salsa ingredients and their flavors a chance to get a wee bit better integrated. (:wink:)

This morning's new beer is the Lucky 7 Porter from the Evolution Brewing Company down in Salisbury MD. These folks do one of my favorite IPAs (the Lot 3) so I thought I'd give their porter a try.

As usual my review, mostly finished now, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19897/49500/?ba=drtth#review

This is a lightly flavored porter with at least some well balanced complex character that includes chocolate, coffee and dark caramel sweetness and that finishes with just a touch of dry bitterness. Nicely drinkable with just enough complexity to be interesting but without the intensity that could overwhelm. I’m ready to have another but that will have to wait for another time since it's time to fry some eggs.

Cheers, all!

Riff, superspak, richj1970 and 36 others like this.
  4. utopiajane

Your breakfast sounds wonderful! =)

smanson56 and drtth like this.
  5. zid

zid Meyvn (1,265) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Good morning Maria! A winter warmer will not necessarily include any spices. In many (most?) cases it's just another term for a strong seasonal ale... which is why that other site doesn't have it as a separate style.
    Davidson Brothers used to be brewed at Shipyard (I don't know if they still are in any form) and getting diacetyl wasn't out of the question. When Davidson designed their new system to move away from contract brewing, they still went with Pugsley and the Peter Austin system. Perhaps it's fair to say it's diacetyl by design.

No beer for me today, but: Cheers!

6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,486) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

HAHA. We wish!!! It is aimed at you guys since the idiots in charge here are so protectionist that we can't get beer from other provinces, let alone the country that is an hour or so drive away from most of the population. Enjoy, that is a fabulous beer.

7. Shanex

Moderator Society Trader

Gotcha and this is indeed a bit silly. Protectionism without veering off too political shouldn't affect us beer drinkers. I'll stop here though. Sorry you can't get this anymore being in the beautiful province... but I know you cross the border south quite regularily.

8. TheDoctor

Society Trader

Yep, and admittedly it is a double-edged sword. It sucks sometimes that we can't get access to stuff as 'mundane' as Sierra Nevada, Stone, etc. but on the other hand I don't think it is any coincidence that QC has arguably the best, most established beer culture/scene in the country. People were thirsty and had no choice so rather than wait they taught themselves to brew delicious beer on their own. Could be worse:wink::slight_smile: Cheers!

9. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,280) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning New BSers! Thanks, Maria, for getting us started today. Yet another beer I've never seen so I guess another beer run to NY is in order - Buffalo in under two hours, but never between Nov and May. I don't mind snow as long as I don't have to go out into it - 40 winters of driving over the rivers and through the woods to go to work each day was more than enough.

Today's New Breakfast Beer is:

[​IMG]

$ 24.44 (Including shipping)/750 mL ($ 0.944/oz) from Blackwell’s, San Francisco, CA
    Cork and cage bottle BB 09/14/2019 stored at 42 degrees, served in a hand washed and dried absente flute. Opens with a hissing “pop”, does not foam out of the bottle
    Aroma – initially very strong sour cherries. This fades as the glass sits.
    Head small (Maximum 3.5 cm, controlled pour), off white with a slight pinkish cast. Fizzy with low density and retention. Rapidly diminishes to an irregular three to four mm ring and thin layer.
    Lacing - none
    Body – slight chill haze, otherwise medium amber
    Flavor – definitely sour, medium pucker, oak and cherry. Not detecting any yeast including Brettanomyces spp. Malt and alcohol flavors and aromas are also absent.
    Palate – light, watery, lively carbonation

This is a pleasantly drinkable beer but the cost/ounce means I won’t be seeking any more online. The shipping kicks the price up 63%.

Appearance 3.75, Aroma 4.5, Flavor 4.5, Palate 4, Overall 4.25. Rating 4.36, rDev -2.5%.

Riff, superspak, richj1970 and 48 others like this.
  10. BIGPOPPAS

BIGPOPPAS Disciple (372) Aug 5, 2016 New Jersey

SINEBRYCHOFF BALTIC PORTER
    FINLAND
    7.2 abv

This Baltic Porter came recommended to me by the beer manager who knows I like dark brews overall, so I made it part of a pick 6 pack.
    Poured from a cold bottle into a large tulip, which foamed a huge foamy head that left heavy lacing .
    Beautiful rich dark color that had me excited to taste .
    The nose to it cold wasn't very intriguing, but added a little as it warmed . Nothing really overwhelming though, so my excitement sort of diminished.
    Taste that followed was that of a typical Baltic Porter, so it certainly is correct in its style . Roasted malts, some burnt flavors and nice carbonation. Very refreshing actually and I think I would have enjoyed this more later in the day instead of a morning substitute to my usual coffee stout . It does leave a nice aftertaste, which is creamy with the roasted malts.

Overall it is very correct for its style, but I think I prefer some of the sweeter American craft styles . I would buy it again, but it wouldn't be my first choice, especially if I saw something like 5Beans available.
    CHEERS !!

Riff, superspak, richj1970 and 40 others like this.
  11. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,951) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Thanks Maria for getting NBS on a great start.

Cheers!

12. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Saying goodbye to Old Man Winter with this interesting tot . . .

[​IMG]

Score 3.93
    look: 3.75 |aroma: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

5.9% ABV, 25 IBU

Dark mahogany color with a reddish cast, moderate cap and good lacing.

Dark toffeeish malt aroma with hints of spice peaking out like tiny whitecaps on a relatively calm sea.

This is a full flavored brew with roasted malt, caramel, toffee, also touches, and I mean touches, of the cinnamon, ginger and orange peel mentioned on the label. Hops are enough to be noticed from the beginning to the finish with lingering roasted chestnuts in the aftertaste.

Texture is full, almost chewy.

Overall a good effort for what I will call a Winter Warmer style. Everything is neatly in it's place with all the gears meshing in good order. Not an alcohol or hop monster, it manages to convey bigness without the support of those two. Classy without being flashy.

Riff, superspak, richj1970 and 39 others like this.
  13. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,951) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Will be back later today with either a new brew or a brew I have not had in a few years, sorry.:slight_smile: I really like to drink 750mls or Bombers on NBS.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

14. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,378) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Good morning, NBS! Off to the gym before I grab some new brews to join you. Wanted to say that I am always happy to see Backwoods Bastard, my favorite beer, and glad @JakeScully had a chance to try some. Just don't go taking my allotment any time soon :wink:.

Also just wanted to bother you for one last plug:
    [​IMG]

If you don't frequent WBAYDN, consider doing so this Thursday*. Bring with you a beer you haven't had in a while but want to get together with again. Also come with a willingness to tell us about you and the beer's past and how the attempt at rekindling the relationship goes. Maybe even take a second to write or update the rating you gave it way back when.

Until I can get a new beer in my hand, Cheers!

*if you do frequent the virtual bar, hope to see you there as well, but I'm guessing you've probably seen one or five of these promos already :wink:

Edit: @Wasatch - feel free to save one long forgotten brew for Thursday :grinning:

15. zid

Trader

Thanks, I decided to copy you for my morning menu. :slight_smile:

smanson56, utopiajane and drtth like this.
  16. drtth

You don't have to do it all from scratch for a good result. Mashed/mixed refried bears from a can and freshly packaged store bought salsa w/o Vinegar can work relatively well.

tasterschoice62, smanson56 and zid like this.
  17. utopiajane

Alright ladies and gentlemen. A friend of mine ( @cavedave ) told me if I could make bread then I could make beer. Well he is right about a lot of things having to do with beer so today is learn to make bread day. I started in my fancy new bread machine with pizza dough. I got that! Learning how to toss the pizza dough . . . I almost got that. Now I am making some herbed flatbread dough. You say the "H" in herbed you know? So I thought I would make this a Two Beer Sunday!

Happy New There's No H in Beer Sunday!

This is a German Style Kolsch by Mill House Brewing Company.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pours clear and perfectly golden yellow with a fat head that lasted well. A few lazy bubbles to waft upwards. Nose is the light scent of malt and a dusting of hops. A tell tale twang form that ester that is not allowed to really show it self too prominently and I can honestly say that it has shown me some hop pepper. I think the yeasty ester on this is green apple. Drinks so well! It's almost laughable how happy this style of beer can make you feel. It's breaddy and crisp, has a light showing from hops. The malt is sensational and smooth . The bubbles add a bit of tickle from carbonation. They are so perfect in this . They have just a small bite and that lets me see the faint fruity ester and the hop pepper! A tiny and I mean so tiny bit of sulfur ushers in the finish with a crisp but relaxed bitterness. Dry and very clean. I would say they have a hit on their hands. It's the grassy hay like hops that cinched it for me. This is very hoppy but still well within the style and is heavenly with bread!

Cheers! BA and bring on spring!

2beerdogs, Riff, superspak and 48 others like this.
  18. drtth

Seems to have been well liked here.

smanson56 and zid like this.
  19. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,875) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG] Winter of Pilsners (continued)

Today I have another installment for my series of Winter Pilsners: Sly Fox Tettnang Keller Pils.

In the Summer of Pilsners series I discussed a few Keller Pilsner beers. For the uninitiated (or folks will failing memories like me) a Keller Pilsner is an unfiltered Pilsner. For those of you who do not speak German the word “Keller” literally translates to Cellar. In addition to being unfiltered these beers are unpasteurized as well. In my opinion, the less processing that a beer goes through the better.

Below is a description of this beer from the Sly Fox website:

“Tettnang Keller Pils

Unfiltered single hop Pilsner

11.7 OG 50 IBUs 5.2% ABV

This classic German-style Pils was brewed with 100% German grown barley and hopped exclusively with the prized noble hop variety from the Tettnang region of southern Germany. This beer is served unfiltered accentuating the vibrant flavors and aromas of the hops and yeast.”

Let’s drink!!

Served in a new Christmas present – Firestone Walker Pivo Pils glass

Appearance:

Pours straw colored with a touch of haze and a HUGE rocky white head.

Aroma:

Wow! Lots going on here!! A complex combination of bready malt, a bit of a yeasty component, and spicy hop aroma accompanied with a tinge of lemon.

Taste:

The flavor has a BIG bready malt flavor along with spicy/herbal hop flavors. There is a firm bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel and a dry finish.

Overall:

This beer is AWESOME!! The combination of bready malt, spicy/herbal hop flavor and smooth mouthfeel = Excellent!!

I have one other new Pilsner in my existing inventory and I have another locally produced Pilsner ‘on my radar screen’ for purchase. Stay tuned!!

@RobH @rotsaruch @nc41 @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @zid

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#19 JackHorzempa, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    RobH, thuey, Riff and 49 others like this.
  20. zid

Trader

I would not hesitate buying a fresh Sly Fox Keller Pils!

smanson56 and utopiajane like this.
  21. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,860) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

At the risk of being overly didactic and technical, you still haven't :wink:.

WesMantooth, smanson56 and cjgiant like this.
  22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,875) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG]

I was unable to post my photograph using photobucket so I set up a new account with flickr.

For your viewing pleasure.

Cheers!

23. Shanex

Moderator Society Trader

So the BA description of that beer is innacurate ?

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/35036/

BEER INFO

Brewed by:
    Founders Brewing Company
    Michigan, United States
    foundersbrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Alcohol by volume (ABV): 11.20%

Availability: Fall

Notes / Commercial Description:
    "Wee Heavy", cave aged in oak bourbon barrels.

Added by CortexBomb on 01-30-2007

24. TongoRad

Society Trader

Beer Advocate doesn't really sort BBA beers or flavored beers separately, though- like they should. It leads to this sort of confusion, as well as really screws up the top beers lists.

In the case of Backwoods Bastard, the Bourbon Barrel influence obscures the base beer so much that it's like looking at something at a distance through a fog. Technically, yes you have seen it, but not really clearly. Not that it isn't a great beer- it's well assembled and tasty for sure- for a BBA Beer.

The point, I suppose, is to encourage you to look for Scotch Ales where the deep and rich malt profile is the true star.

25. Shanex

Moderator Society Trader

Makes sense, but indeed technically, you raise an important point, BA got almost every beers and possibly style that most boozers drink, so I assume that a beer as important, renowed and consumed as Backwoods bastard should have the right style attached to its description.

26. zid

Trader

I share your feelings about this style!

rgordon, smanson56, Squire and 2 others like this.
  27. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,189) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Starting my beer day with a little zip of coffee. I happened to see individual bottles of these on my way to the check out the other day, so I figured why not. Low expectations since it's a nitro, but I do enjoy coffee quite a lot. Let's start drinking.

[​IMG]

Lefthand's Hard Wired Nitro Coffee Porter.

Hard Wired Nitro pours a cold black. Despite being a nitro, the head is hesitant to form, with only half a finger of tight, foamy white head rising after a very aggressive pour halfway through the bottle. Despite it's shyness, the head retains well. Lacing is nearly non-existent. Aroma is coffee with toasted and nutty malts behind. It has a little sweet hint from the nitro as well. Flavor profile is toasted, biscuit, and nutty malts, with cold brew coffee notes sweeping over the tongue from the middle of the flavor profile until the finish. Very tasty, although a bit watery. Mouth feel is a bit watery as well, but otherwise incredibly smooth with a little bit of creaminess to it. Be careful not to drink it to warm, as the nitro really starts to give it a watery feel at warmer temps. Overall, it's a very solid coffee porter. The nitro actually works well with this beer, although it does give it a sweeter twist than regular carbonation. That may be a turn off for some. Certainly a go-to for those seeking a smooth and creamy coffee beer.

Score: 3.5 | 4 | 4.25 | 4 | 4.25 | BA Score: 4.12 | rDev: +1.2%

Riff, richj1970, Lingenbrau and 35 others like this.
  28. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I've set up quite a stout day for myself, which leans towards the evil side..... Not sure if I'll make it through all 3 Evil Twin stouts, but here's the first.... This one made its way to me courtesy of @st9647v3 - thanks again!

Even More Jesus

[​IMG]

I got a little aggressive on the pour, which generated a massive brown bronze head that left behind a clingy, sticky lacing. Nose is plenty full of molasses, followed by hints of chocolate, fig and a bit of alcohol nose heat. Taste immediately brings fig, hotness and a little molasses. As this warms up a bit more, some dark chocolate begins to work it's way in. What I am tasting is really full and begs of plenty of contemplation. Mouth feel is a major factor as soon as I take the first sip. Thick, syrupy and full. Like drinking an alcohol laden molasses fig cake batter or something. Finish is dry with only a touch of sweetness left on the tongue. In a world where a lot of stouts seem mailed in, this one is a well thought out work of mastery.

29. BIGPOPPAS

BIGPOPPAS Disciple (372) Aug 5, 2016 New Jersey

I wish you guys would stop talking about BB . I drank my whole case and now am weeping listening to this conversation. With that said you are both 100% correct on your points

30. cjgiant

Society

@JakeScully

If I recall correctly, this is a case where the base beer is what you might think (and are not always correct), that the base beer is Dirty Bastard. The bitterness in that beer makes me skeptical but my failing memory, to quote @JackHorzempa does believe it was told this by a brewery rep.

Of course, is Dirty Bastard a representative Wee Heavy?? Debate... :wink:

31. zid

Trader

... and not peated malt either (not that it can't be tasty though). :slight_smile:

smanson56, Squire and TongoRad like this.
  32. Shanex

Moderator Society Trader

@cjgiant .. Debatable and fairly technical. Since it isn't a style I was familiar with I would rather let better informed BAs gently argue about it. Cheers.

33. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,238) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

A sunny, cool winter day here in southern Maine. Typical winter for our part of Maine: snow, followed by melt, repeatedly. Right now hardly any snow on the ground.
    We've had our new dog for a week. He and the other two are figuring out the pecking order, but I have to say the new one, Willy, is a real sweetheart. He's the third older dog we've adopted, and we've been rewarded with wonderful dogs each time.

My new beer today is The Stallion, brewed by Smuttynose (or Smuttlabs in this case). It is an imperial stout aged in red wine barrels. This particular bottle was bottled in January, 2016 and has an ABV of 11%.
    In my Smuttlabs glass the beer is dark black with only the hint of a head.
    It has an aroma of dark malt and sweet fruit. There is a hint of vanilla/oak.
    Bittersweet chocolate taste up front, followed by grapes. Still the hint of vanilla. Alcohol is not evident at all.
    This is a medium-bodied, delicious stout. I think the red wine barrels enhances the aroma and taste. I hope my beer store has some more of these.

[​IMG]

Gratuitous dog pictures.
    Sparky
    [​IMG]

Sophie
    [​IMG]

And Willy
    [​IMG]

james02, Riff, superspak and 44 others like this.
  34. TongoRad

Society Trader

But of course! On both counts :slight_smile:.

smanson56, Shanex and zid like this.
  35. Peekaboolu

Peekaboolu Initiate (0) May 24, 2016 Germany

Here goes my first time posting in New Beer Sunday. I've been reading through the various threads for the last few weeks and finally decided I should post something myself. I like the idea of having a new beer every Sunday so hopefully I can keep up with the upcoming threads!

For my first time posting I decided to go with a beer by one of my favorite breweries, Fantome. The beer is Fantome's Magic Ghost, which is a saison / Belgian ale brewed with green tea. What I find interesting is that no where on the bottle does it say that is brewed with green tea, I actually found that out from this website.

[​IMG]

The appearance of the beer is totally different than anything I have ever seen (at least beer related). It looks almost like matcha tea. There is very little carbonation in the beer and therefore only a small head.

The aroma is equally interesting. Basically a mix of strawberries, apples, citrus fruits, green tea and a slight funky-ness. It smells more like a mixed fruit juice than a saison or Belgian ale.

The taste is very similar to the aroma just with a bit of spice and a slight medicinal taste. There is also some green tea bitterness to it. Also it tastes quite earthy/grassy but maybe that's just the green color throwing me off. The taste definitely developed from the first glass to the last glass (probably because the first glass had very little yeast in it and the last glass got a nice bit of yeast). At first it had an alcoholic after taste but once the yeast was in it smoothed that out.

The mouth feel is quite full and creamy but there is something slightly weird when it first hits my tongue. It's difficult to explain but maybe that's just because there is hardly any carbonation in it.

Overall it's an extremely interesting beer but I wouldn't necessarily seek it out again. I find Fantome's normal Saison and their Brise-BonBons to be more enjoyable and easier to find. What I do appreciate from Fantome is that every bottle seems to be different than the last, so you never really know what to expect.

Hopefully my post fits into the context of New Beer Sunday and although my reviewing "skills" are quite limited I'm hoping that this weekly thread helps me improve them. Cheers to everyone!

VABA, superspak, richj1970 and 44 others like this.
  36. cjgiant

Society

I'd say that's a swell first post. Welcome!

37. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Debate? My response is no. Although we all love barrel aged everything, I can't in good conscience say that a BA'd version of anything is "representative" of the style. A lot of inherent character of any style gets muddled and trampled (IMO) amongst the barrel treatment. BA'd good? Usually yes, but not a strict benchmark for the style.

Edit* Damn! I read "dirty" and thought"backwoods"...... Is Dirty Bastard a good representation? Perhaps, but I prefer Skull Splitter as a reference point.

38. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,238) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Welcome, new kid. That's a nice review.
    Hope to see you some more.

VABA, Lingenbrau, smanson56 and 5 others like this.
  39. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,940) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy NBS, BAs!!! Rarely have I ever made an appearance in this thread, but felt compelled to do so today. Thank you, Maria, for hosting another great addition of one of the more popular features of BA.

Fat Orange Cat is a new brewery to me, and thanks again to @aquabears for putting me on to it. Today's entry is a NE style IPA named Consensus, weighing in at 7.5% abv. The appearance had me at hello, instantly reminding me of the first time I went out on a date with Elisha Cuthbert. So, without further ado, I offer two pics of this glorious beer, as well as my review. Cheers to each and everyone of the extended BA family. The Hunter loves you; yes, it's true!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4.52/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours super cloudy, and looks like orange juice in a glass. Brilliant head that seemingly never dissipates, coupled with spotty lacing resembling cave pattern drawings adorn my Spiegelau. The nose is a melange of wonderful citrus notes belied by a slight herbaceous character that only compliments the smell further. If I wasn't worried about people thinking I'm some raging alcoholic, I'd wear this as aftershave. Taste follows the nose with myriad doses of grovestand, hints of grapefruit, and the slightest touch of pear dust on the finish. The feel is semi-chewy up front, with the perfect amount of prickly acidity on the finish. What a f'ing treat. Considering this is my first beer from Fat Orange Cat, they have set the bar extremely high. Do yourself a favor and seek this beer out, because, as the Hunter always says, it's LARRRGE™.

Riff, superspak, aquabears and 41 others like this.
  40. TheDoctor

Society Trader

Wow, that looks and sounds really good!! I will definitely keep it in mind if I am ever anywhere with access to it.:slight_smile:

Practice makes perfect is true for lots of things. But it is especially so with something like reviewing beers or anything sensory related. It's also fun to practice haha

smanson56, Shanex, Peekaboolu and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.