New Beer Sunday (Week 644)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,378) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I think this summary is pretty much on point with what I thought - a very nicely made, balanced but still with a nice hop profile, solid beer. I was at the high end of your rating range, myself (3.9).

beerloserLI likes this.
  2. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,173) Nov 4, 2015 New York

Two words : Chuck Knoblauch. Four more words : Steve Sax & Rick Ankiel. :rolling_eyes:
    Maybe go Happy Gilmore, & just put 'er down & whack it, without thinking? Good luck with that infernal game. :wink:

lordofthewiens and dee4maine like this.
  3. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,442) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Hello New Beer Sunday. I am at Northwest Angle right now after a fun, but rainy, morning/afternoon fishing. Just ate some of the fish we got, and, of course, enjoying a new beer

Espresso Porter from Bemidji Brewing is a delicious take on the style. Just damn refreshing and delicious with the fresh fish. Nice espresso flavor. Maybe a bit watery, but overall good.

Well, got to get ready to go back out. We will see you layer with another new beer.

Party on!

Roguer, aoampm, LeRose and 24 others like this.
  4. mikeinportc

I didn't steal this, my brother in MA gave it to me.:wink:
    Pretty good. Maybe not the top of my list, but still a damned fine beer. When I allude to "onion" in the review, it's similar to most of the Enjoy By iterations I've had . A not quite fruity, not quite piney, vegetal element .
    [​IMG]

4.01/5 rDev +5.8%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Moderately hazy orange-gold, with quickly-dissipating off-white head, leaving light lacing.

Smells of tangerine,grass,grapefruit, and (oniony) booze.

Favor is grass,pine,tangerine,grapefruit juice, grapefruit pith, and (very slight) onion powder, with a pleasant touch of pine/grapefruit bitterness on the finish .

Moderately fine carbonation , with a touch prickle on the finish.

Overall , pretty good, and would have it again.

Roguer, aoampm, LeRose and 28 others like this.
  5. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,190) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Greetings from middle TN on a picture-perfect day. We had a soupy, humid, rainy back half of the week, but we have been rewarded with two beautiful dry weekend days in the low 80s. I always appreciate the great NBS openers, and this weeks by @lordofthewiens hit home for me too. My wife and I both swam in college. Fast forward 25-30 years, and she has maintained her form, kicking ass in national competitions, while I have....not. We did a few laps at the local pool this morning and it was comical. Oh well, onto the beer:

[​IMG]

Their latest IPA offering, hopped with Galaxy and Simcoe, is a looker: bright, golden with a generous and smooth white head. The foam slowly settled and left splotches of lacing on the glass. Loved the nose on this one - a bright mix of tropical fruit, pineapple, and piney, earthy notes. The taste followed the nose. The tropical notes from the Galaxy seemed magnified with the supporting piney and earthy notes from the Simcoe. A dry, bready backbone. The feel was soft as expected. Overall a winner. Cheers BAs!

Roguer, aoampm, LeRose and 27 others like this.
  6. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,371) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Mother's MILF Aged in Brandy Barrels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This awesome MILF variant comes courtesy of @jdell15 and the NBS BIF that keeps on giving.

After about ten minutes of gushing in the sink, it eventually poured near black with a thin, soupy tan head. It leaves minimal lacing.

There's big chocolate and brandy in the aroma, with hints of cherry, raisin and vanilla.

It has a brandy-forward taste, with some cocoa, nuts, raisin, apple and marshmallow, and a hot alcohol bite on the back end.

Medium bodied, with a slightly creamy and highly carbonated feel.

Despite the gushing, this was a real treat. I like regular MILF better, but this is delicious nonetheless. Thanks, Jake.

Roguer, aoampm, jdell15 and 28 others like this.
  7. mikeinportc

It took a bit to adjust the mind to the beer, but once that was done, I liked it. If you take the (unsweetened) chocolate as just another hop ( it's mostly presents the bitter elements), it falls into place. :wink:

8. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Second new beer today. And keeping with the Modern Times theme.
    [​IMG]

Modern Times - Fortunate Islands
    5% abv - 5/22/17 - 33 days old
    Purchased for $3.49 at Monde Market

A - lovely medium-orange body. Off-white head recedes rapidly. Definitely looks like a Weiss.

S - Heavy citrus, with some flowery notes that I can't put my finger on. Mostly I get orange and grapefruit though.

T - More mellow citrus, with a suprising hoppy kick.

M - light-medium.

O - Hard to pinpoint the intended style on this one. It comes off as a cross between an APA and a standard wheat beer. I very much enjoy the combination, especially with temps in the mid-80s today. Nice to be able to taste Citra in a 5% brew. I would say crushable, but I only have 1 so that's moot.

Roguer, aoampm, LeRose and 29 others like this.
  9. Samlover55

Samlover55 Crusader (798) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

Good afternoon NBS,
    @lordofthewiens back in my high school days I was great at softball. I was an outfielder batting in middle of the order, boy do I miss those days.
    Today's beer is a new to me style inspired by @bbtkd who is on a quest to try all recognized styles by BeerAdvocate.
    New Sunday Doppelbock
    Paulaner Salvator Double Bock
    [​IMG]

16.9oz bottle into Nonic Pint
    a bit old BB 3/16
    L- pours a bright brown, with a neat tan head
    S- super sweet, tons of a caramel, figs as well
    T- this is great all date & figs up front, sweet caramel on the follow, with a beautiful crisp finish
    F- medium-bodied, a bit heavy w/ the sweetness but balanced out by the crispness of the lager yeast
    Overall I can't be more thrilled with this one, full and flavor like a quad with the great drinkability & crispness of a lager

Cheers!

10. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,661) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

As a result of drinking down my "cellar" (currently a few cases in my kitchen - I've gone from 10 down to 3), I've stumbled upon many older gems - quite a few accidentally aged. This brew is one such, stamped "Enjoy by March 2014." :flushed:

[​IMG]

It might be strange to review a beer so clearly past its prime, but it's a porter, so it should age fairly well. The smoke and peppers might fade, but otherwise it should be intact - right?

Well, while I don't know what this tasted like fresh, I can say it seems to have aged quite gracefully. There's plenty of smoke and peppers on the palate, accompanied by char and roast, implying notes of burnt coffee and baker's chocolate. It drinks a touch thin, but otherwise is quite enjoyable.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/36707/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.74/-2.6%

Cheers!

aoampm, LeRose, Prager62 and 28 others like this.
  11. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,230) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

On to round two.

I've been sitting on this one for a while. I can't thank my "hook-up" enough for this awesome brew.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/37265/?ba=GRPunk#review

Bell's Black Note

12oz. Bottle (freebie) dated 07/01/16 poured into a Stone snifter.

A- A normal our makes for 1-finger of dark brown head. The body is as near Black as possible, with the darkest brown edges. The head settles to a light film and leaves awesome, sticky rings on the glass.

S- My first take is on the sweet side, like stewed raisins. There's definitely bourbon and woody/vanilla tones. Complex and quite robust. Just a hint of aged rum boozieness as it warms.

T- Oh, that's good. Raisins, semi-sweet and dark chocolate, dark roast coffee with a couple packets of raw sugar. With warmth a magnified flavor of bourbon and aged rum comes through. Some vanilla and scorched woody flavors too. Incredibly smooth for 10.8%.

M- So creamy and viscous. Slightest alcohol warmth. While the finish is quite clean, there's a sticky/sweet linger that's rather pleasant considering the big grain bill.

O- A superb sipper. Complex and smooth. Too bad beers like this have such limited access. I count myself fortunate to have procured this one.

A- 4.5 S-4.75 T-4.75 M-4.5 O-4.75

[​IMG]

12. mikeinportc

:grimacing:
    (I now have flower buds. :grinning:)

rgordon and TongoRad like this.
  13. StraightNoChaser

StraightNoChaser Poo-Bah (2,307) Oct 21, 2007 Georgia
    Society Trader

14. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (982) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Done with yard work for the day and I'm settling my ass down on the deck for a nice evening of doing nothing here NBS. Watching/listening to the mets play a team that is actually worse then they are. The only nice thing about a down year is that ticket prices plummet and I will be able to score plenty of sweet field level seats over the next few months.

My second new beer today is Secret Stairs, a "boston stout", from Trillium brewing. Picked this up from their Congress Street location on Saturday. A 6.5% abv and a 6/6/17 canning date.

A black oily pour with a fast off-white head. The nose is full of roasted malt which carries right over to the very first sip with the addition of chocolate, and smoke. Semi-smooth flow with a slightly bitter and rather dry finish. Additional subtle notes come on the more it warms with nuts, oats, and vanilla, and burnt toast. The mouth feel is light with a good amount of carbonation. Good rich flavors but it still really walks that line of being perhaps a bit too thin. A rather dry malt flavor really seems to linger after each sip.

Overall, a pretty good beer but for me this just isn't that great either. It's got good flavor and the notes are interesting but it just seems to run into all the same problems, of a low abv stout, that the rest do. Which for me, is not enough body. I always put my opinion down before I look at a beers actual score (or at least try to most of the time). I'm not close to the bros 99 score. I'm sure it gets a bit inflated because it's Trillium, and don't get me wrong, I'm very much a homer when it comes to really good breweries in my area too. I'm really right around a 4 at best. (Apologies for the low pour pic in the glass. I actually drank most of it before realizing that I had not taken any pictures.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

foundersasap, Roguer, aoampm and 27 others like this.
  15. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (1,922) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Number 4, and the first beer post-transition to fruit beers. This and the next beer are peach-infused, though they are both quite different from each other. This first one is Victory's new Blackboard Series Peach Belgian Blonde w/ Coriander. I have had extreeemely hit-or-miss reactions to the Blackboard stuff I've had (and, honestly, to Victory's oeuvre overall). For instance, I found the Agave Grapefruit IPA to be awful and the Elderflower Berliner to be fantastic (I even saved one to drink aged cuz I was curious about its potential for cellaring :grinning:). This is the first I'm having from their 2017 rotation of the series. Bought a single for testing purposes.

As the name makes plenty clear, this is a Belgian yeast-fermented ale with peach and coriander added, clocking in at 7.5% ABV. That makes it categorically stronger than most Belgian Pale Ales, but weaker than most Belgian-style Tripels... hmm. Victory, what the hell are you going for here?

[​IMG]

Pours with a generous dollop of bone-white head atop a really nicely-colored golden-amber body. Somewhat "dirty" blonde, but I'll afford them a pass :stuck_out_tongue:. Carbonation is incredibly active on this one, which makes sense for the... style... erm, yeah. Both BPAs and Tripels tend to have pretty nice carbonation and head retention, so it's all good here. Lace is kind of all-over-the-place; strong, consistent webs of foam stuck to the top of my glass, but more-ephemeral wisps as the head slowly fades and as I sip slowly. Mostly clear beer here. Loving this appearance, overall. The retention is out of control! Good job, Victory.

Nose is heavily yeasty and estery... reminds me instantly of the first time I had Unibroue's La Fin du Monde about six-and-a-half years ago(!?). Same exact profile of dusty, expressive yeast. Smells a little bit like peach cobbler now that I have the fruit addition in my head, and I can definitely pick up some funky, earthy coriander. I get some rye and spice notes, as well. Huh, this is pretty interesting. Not much ethanol given the moderately-high strength, either.

Strong clove spice upfront layered with honeyed malt, dusty yeast, some remnants of the peach and the coriander addition. This would likely be a little better without the coriander, though... something about this feels lost and wandering between styles. Is it a "double witbier," a Belgian pale or a Tripel? I don't honestly know. If I had to compare this to anything, I would say it's like something which is currently nonexistent :astonished:... it's exactly what I imagine a 50/50 combination of Unibroue's Éphémère (w/ peach added) and La Fin du Monde would taste like. Like the middle point between a yeasty Tripel and fruited witbier... hmm. Very thought-provoking beer. I'm not really sure it's a great Summer beer, considering I would find it quite tough to drink more than one of these in a session, but the flavors are superb and everything comes together well. This gets an especially high recommendation if you like Unibroue, as the yeast strain is an absolute dead ringer for their trademark super-estery/fruity/expressive yeast.

Feel is on the higher end of medium, with some residual sweetness after each sip. Some spritzy carbonation, as evidenced by the excellent, consistently-rising bubbles from the initial pour. Going back to the lace, I must rescind my comment from above which claimed it became ephemeral after a while; I'm close to the end of my glass of this now, and the lace has been insanely consistent... see below:

[​IMG]

DANG!

Just finishing up listening to the new Dying Fetus album... what a whirlwind goddamn tour-de-force of brutal technical death metal. Their first album in five goddamn years. AND they reverted back to their old logo! AND it's called Wrong One To Fuck With. Now that's some shit. Tasty brutality here.

16. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,048) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

You've got 60 of 104! Keep it up!

Samlover55 likes this.
  17. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,952) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Happy New American Impy Stout Sunday!

Really nice sunny day here on the Western Slope, usual hike, around 90, slight breeze. Having a pretty tasty brew, I like it, nice take on the style. Picked up a couple of tacos, actually you get 3,:slight_smile: not bad at all for $4. Watching right now the Rockies/Dodgers game, bottom 4th 5-4 Rockies. Might be back later with another.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/168831/?ba=Wasatch#review

Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roguer, aoampm, LeRose and 22 others like this.
  18. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Maria,

I enjoyed Citrus Limbo, but not nearly so much as the standard issue Limbo, as it were. Do you agree with that, or does the citrus addition take this very good beer to the next level for you?

19. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,515) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

Howdy NBS people!
    Another Sunday, another new beer to accompany chores, cooking and some work. Yesterday was Quebec's national holiday so everything is pretty quiet today. I'm back from a quick Sunday shift and ready to chill on the balcony and indulge in the windy weather.

For my beer today I am hitting two milestones at once. I have a crowler full of beer from Grimm. Both a format and a brewery that I have been dying to try. I would love to try an IPA from them at one point but a stout is intriguing as well and will do my taste buds good since I got way too many hops on my trip. By the by, you NYers in that general area (@cavedave and @utopiajane among many others) get some great beers and have a beautiful state. I'd never been before but I hope to go back. It's really close too!

[​IMG]

My introduction to growlers was in the early 2000s with non-purged, haphazardly filled screw-tops from the handful of random local breweries in Wyoming at the time. Before that I seem to even remember Odell having clear growlers at one point but I could be mistaken. Some people sure did. How far we've come in the past couple decades...
    Since then, I hardly ever get growlers. Quebec only recently made them legal and they did such a piss-poor job of it that I can't decide whether to not buy them on principle or to buy them in hopes of showing the powers that be that they should loosen up a little. Suffice it to say I don't buy them either way.

So this last week I was near a gas station that specializes in beer in upstate N.Y. and decided to finally try some crowlers. I was like a kid in a candy store. I am anxious to crack it but also nervous that it is gonna be flat, oxidized swill. Let's see.

[​IMG]

A big, sweet stout. This one pours a super thick black with an upside down waterfall of nitro-looking head that ends up as a nice cap. Really something else pouring it. I wonder but what it comes from the extra CO2 or if it is always like that. Who knows...

[​IMG]

The aroma and flavor are pretty similar. Lots of coffee and toffee mixed with the sweetness definitely coming out on top. As it warms the flavors mellow a little bit but it is definitely super sweet throughout. Once It really warms the orange starts to come through and is good, the vanilla is always noticeable. It drinks pretty well but verges on flying which definitely cost it a little for me. Otherwise, though, a great beer. I'd have it again, just maybe a slightly smaller format.

I have read a lot of good reports on crowler longevity and even the naysayers (there are always a couple, and they're often the same ones in most threads) mainly pointed to purging and the movement of the beer being poured in as downsides. The upside is that the people actually citing their experiences with crowlers seemed to almost all give good reports. I obviously didn't see this one filled. But the other one I had filled was amply purged and was poured very delicately. Anyway, enough rambling, here's hoping that the other survives through this week to be given to a buddy. If not, it's proof that being a guinea pig is the price you pay for my sharing beers with you!

I hope you all have a great week.:slight_smile::sunglasses::grinning::slight_smile::sunglasses::grimacing:

Cheers!

Here is my review.

beerloserLI, Roguer, aoampm and 27 others like this.
  20. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,190) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I enjoyed reading your review, but then laughed as I read the polarizing reviews just below yours! This beer elicits strong opinions!

tasterschoice62 and Wasatch like this.
  21. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I think they are comparable. I can't say as I remember Limbo but my scores are very close on both.

Citrus limbo - 3.81/5 rDev -1.6%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Limbo - 3.77/5 rDev -7.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Citrus limbo reminded me of lagunitas tuberfest when I first sipped it. I think it was the toasty malt. I can say for sure that I am a fan of fruit peel in beer so long as it does not take over the whole beer. Also though, I am not one to remember an IPA unless there was something really extra special about it. I think IPA's are the one style that can just change in increments ad infinitum. Especially with different hops. The malt made citrus limbo for me.

22. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The marvels of the yard are endless........

Ozzylizard likes this.
  23. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

Many thanks to @thebeers for the opportunity at this new to me beer. I should also mention it's been on my want list for a while. Thanks again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roguer, aoampm, LeRose and 18 others like this.
  24. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,952) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Funny never saw those reviews when I put mine in. Yes, very funny/different opinion.

Cheers!

Buck89 likes this.
  25. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,239) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Maybe a little more about the beer?

tasterschoice62 likes this.
  26. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,695) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

As to the OP's question: What do worse now? Throw a baseball or football. A side effect of blowing my left shoulder out lifting weight about 18 years ago:astonished:

Stillwater Shoegaze Saison, 3.65 overall

Pours a hazed honey color with a thumb of beige colored head. Head drops off rapidly, zero head retention & lacing

S: Bready, a lit bit of pear,

T: Follows the nose, some white grape & green melon, plus dryness up front. a little pomelo. Dryness, a little pink grapefruit, & pears as this warms, a little bit of mushroom/dirt too. Finishes dry with a little pomelo, & faint yeast bite

MF: Medium body, moderate carbonation

Drinks easy, a decent Americanized take on the style

Roguer, aoampm, LeRose and 17 others like this.
  27. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,521) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Good evening NBS, hope everyone is enjoying the end of the weekend once again. Thanks to @lordofthewiens for getting us started off this morning. Another normal weekend over here, not much else going on. Was a pretty busy work week, but this week is likely be much less so. A lot of people are taking vacation time for the holiday coming up next week. Made a nice haul yesterday morning to keep my new beers stocked up. A nice amount of things I was wanting to find too, which was nice. Also other things I didn't know existed, but glad they do (Estonian Baltic Porter in Cognac Barrels?). Going to make a quick short trip back home next weekend, but will be back on Sunday so I can work the following Monday. Planning on making another haul of whatever I can find in Ohio. Just finished up laundry and did a bit of catch up work for tomorrow. Review 5500 was on Friday night, and I keep rolling on forward.

New Beer:

Very nice witbier. Great head retention and lacing. Aromas and flavors of juicy/lightly tart elderberry, lemon, pear, apple, white grape, coriander, orange peel, peppercorn, and light banana yeast; moderate wheat, cracker, biscuity malts; herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Moderate peppery yeast spice and light fruit tartness on the finish. Medium bodied and medium-high carbonation. Moderately crisp; balanced bready/grainy wheat and spice stickiness in the mouthfeel. Touch of berry tannin. Lightly increasing dryness from carbonation/spicy yeast. Very flavorful and refreshing. Great balance of fruit, spices, and yeast; with a nice malt backbone. I have always been a big fan of this series. I've had all of the ones that landed state-side. 3.9
    [​IMG]

Delicious APA! Aromas and flavors of big apricot, peach, pineapple, papaya, guava, grapefruit, mango, melon, berry, pear, red apple, lemon zest, orange peel, black tea, pepper, and pine hops; with some cracker, lightly toasted bread malt balance; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Light-medium bodied and moderately crisp; balanced bready/grainy malts and sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Light resins and increasing bitter dryness, no hop astringency. Very refreshing and well executed style example. Not overly aggressive, but still very hoppy; nice malt balance without any sweetness. Very dank hop profile with great vibrancy, some juiciness. This has Mosaic, Azacca, Idaho 7, and Centennial hops; so the apricot/stone fruit presence was off the chart. Definitely would buy a 6 pack. Pretty unique hop profile. 3.9
    [​IMG]

Really good American Brown/Rye ale. Aromas and flavors of caramel, brown sugar, brown bread, toasted biscuit, spicy rye, nutty, and light chocolate malts; with some herbal, floral, grassy, light peppery hops. Light-moderate herbal/grassy hop and light roast bitterness/rye spice on the finish. Medium bodied; nice bready/grainy creaminess and light hop stickiness in the mouthfeel. Lightly drying from hop oils/rye. Very easy drinking. Impressive malt complexity and nice rye presence, without going overboard. Just enough earthy hops to balance the sweetness and let the malt bill shine. Very enjoyable. 3.78
    [​IMG]

New brewery for me; just started getting these last week through Shelton Bros. Wild ale brewery from Tulsa, OK. This was awesome! Aromas and flavors of huge sour apricots, peach, lemon, lime, pineapple, pear, green apple, melon, white wine, fruit skin, almond, oak, hay, straw, and musty funk; with moderate wheat/crackery malts; and lighter notes of leather, white wine vinegar, and pepper. Moderate fruity/lactic tart/sourness and light yeast/tannic oak spice on the finish. Medium bodied; balanced lactic acid, grainy malt, and fruit/oak tannins in the mouthfeel. Increasing lactic dryness; lightly puckering, but not astringent. Very easy drinker for the level of sourness. This is absolutely spot on for a fruit sour! Huge fruit presence with great Lacto, Brett, and oak complexity/balance; with a nice malt backing to keep the acidity in check. Just a really awesome well rounded offering. Looking forward to more from them. I have a cognac BA Barleywine and blackberry sour right now, but will seek out others. 4.1
    [​IMG]

Cheers, have a good night NBS!

beerloserLI, Roguer, aoampm and 23 others like this.
  28. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,029) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Evening all and thank you to @lordofthewiens for the thought provoking opening.
    Back from his neck of the woods- New Harbor Maine, where I helped in the kitchen at my brothers place doing a wedding for 150. Sounds simple enough- especially when you spent 17 years in a kitchen developing menus, creating specials, and doing all the things a Cook does. (I do not say Chef because the term is used so loosely. And you have to be a very good cook before youre anything else). Anyhow menu consisted of 10 passed apps and the entree was- get ready- de-constructed lobster bakes. Lobster meat atop a Maine corn meal cake with a split tail, red potatoes, corn on the cob, bag of steamers, a bit of slaw and "drawn" butter. Salad was baby romaine with a cherry tomato vinaigrette. I could go on about the apps but it would be boring to most. Point is lots of components that have to be plated on record time to tables of 15 or more. Than the oven went, the hot box didnt heat up, 13 decided to have chicken, and there were 7 vegetarians, all without notice. And the temp was probably 80 or more and humid. That 13 hour day was one of the hardest of ever worked in a kictchen. Point is a we pulled it off but like the golf it seems alot harder at 55 yrs. Didnt feel top of my game for sure. I did stop in Portland on the drive up though. Knowing about the Epiphany release I stopped into Whole Foods. What a selection! Wish we had beers in RI Whole Foods. One of the ones I picked up is-
    Banded Horn Smokey and the Banded IPA with Amarillo and Chinook.
    Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a 1/2" white head that settles and leaves a "world map" style lacing.
    Upon sticking my nose into opening of freshly cracked can I get red grapefruit, tangerine, lemon and some peach notes with a bready background of pilsner malts. Some of those fruit notes die down but the malt always remains.
    Taste follows with soft palette of pilsner, grapefruit/citrus notes, some pine and a very pleasing bitterness.
    Feel is lighter bodied with crisp carbonation and bitterness with a nice dry finish. Highly quaffable.
    A very well made, not highly complex but easy drinking 5.8% IPA. There is beauty in simplicity and this fits the bill. I would buy alot more of this but alas I have a feeling it will be the only four pack I will get to try. Looking for a tasty summer IPA. Grab it.
    Take care and again Thanks for taking the time to listen.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bride and Grooms special appetizer plate: lollipop lamb chops, baby veg crudite with hummus, NE clam chowder "shots" meatballs with soy/honey glaze and sesame, lobster mac n cheese, pastrami salmon with dill creme fraiche, Pemmaquid oysters.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#108 tasterschoice62, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  29. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (1,922) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Alright folks! Last (of 5!) new beers this NBS... this one is a really dumb idea that I expect to have strong criticisms for. Alltech's Kentucky Peach Barrel Wheat Ale!

[​IMG]

I have a history of being hard on this brewery's barrel-aged beers, mostly because their shtick is to make strong, over(t)ly-flavored beers and they do so to an extent that toes the line dangerously close to mass-market bullshit beer, in some ways. Nevertheless, this fits the Summer beer theme I have going here, and (as explained in my first post in this thread today) completes my transition to fruit beers for the evening. A bourbon-barrel aged peach wheat beer clocking in at 8%... let's waste no more time and jump right into this silly thing, shall we? It's totally okay if you don't want to follow me down this path. :confused: :wink: I'll forgive you come next NBS!

Pours a completely clear pale golden/blonde color with a foamy, consistent head of bone-white bubbles. Spotty patches of carbonated fuzz adorn the surface of the beer, but they're easily shaken up by a quick swirl of my glass. Lace seems surprisingly adequate here, and the carbonation itself seems pushy and vibrant. The clarity of this one helps it a good bit, actually, given that it allows me to see the consistent fizz rising to the top of my glass. I went into this one with a chip on my shoulder from the outset (cuz honestly what the fuck even with this?), but this looks superb.

Nose is a 50/50 split between peach candy and creamy vanilla from the barrel aging, with very little nuance about or in between. That said, I'm very impressed by the balance of barrel character and peach flavor with the subtle nuance of nutty wheat punching through here and there. This concept is more than a little bit audacious, and I remember seeing it a couple years ago and totally going "nah, I'm good," but something about seeing it in the store today made me do a double-take. Perhaps it was just my brain going "wow, they made this again? Maybe they actually sold some of this dumb ass idea last year... I should try it," but... overall, seems pretty solid. You have to like peach, though. Whereas, the Victory beer I reviewed today could, foreseeably, be enjoyed by someone who likes Belgian beers but does not quite like peach/stone fruit in general, this is only for people who like peach. I can already sense that from the nose.

I'm left feeling quite vindicated by the flavor, upon my first few sips. The barrel character comes across a bit stronger than I expected, with a surprising tannic depth, but the majority of this is wheat, peach and vanilla cream. If you like the sound of that combined with a brutal and fairly-unnecessary 8% ABV, this is your new favorite beer. I like this way more than I should, honestly; the peach flavor is authentic, the way it works with the barrel feels legitimately organic, and it's not so overly sweet and cloying that I feel gross drinking it. Mileage will probably vary heavily here, though. For those here who follow my reviews, you may know that my taste in beer is also kinda all-over-the-place (I think I split four different pounder cans of IPAs with my buddy before a show yesterday, so this could be my body thanking me for something different... *shrug*), so I tend to be able to find the best aspects of almost anything I drink. This is certainly one of those cases.

Feel is smooth and sweet-leaning with a light boozy aspect and some warmth from the barrel and strong-leaning ABV. Pretty slick stuff... no hop bitterness to speak of, of course, and the base beer is pretty boring. This is all about the adjuncts, and the treatment of them is pretty classy here. Sure, this is a goofy and off-kilter idea for a beer, but... I'd honestly probably destroy a four-pack of this without even realizing what I had done. That has to count for something, right?

THUS CONCLUDES my NBS entries for this glorious day of June the 25th, 2017. Thanks for following along with me on my journey into new and exciting avenues of beer! I leave you with a great album of poppy industrial metal from one of my favorite bands of all time, the excellently-named Raunchy!

30. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,489) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Decided to open my bottle of 2SP Bourbon Barrel Aged S.I.P., an imperial porter aged 10 months in Jack Danials and Jim Beam barrels. I've had this before on draft and it was much better because sadly it seems like the bottles have a minor infection issue, sorry about that @Ri0.
    3.71/5 rDev -10.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

750 ml bottle poured into a snifter

A- Black with a large little tan head

S- Chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruits, sour cherries, vanilla and bourbon. Unfortunately it smells like it might be infected.

T- Chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, tart dark fruits, some coffee.

M- Fairly smooth, carbonation is a little high.

O- Even though I believe it is infected, it's still pretty good. I remember it being better on-draft. I would still pick it up again, just hope future batchs don't have issues.

Edit: As this sits a little and I drink a little more the infection/tartness dies down some it becomes a little better.
    [​IMG]
    I've had a most of 2SP's barrel aged beers and they have been good, sadly this one is having issues, cheers!

beerloserLI, Roguer, aoampm and 19 others like this.
  31. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,515) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

Is the salt in addition to the sugar or instead of the sugar. Salt and lemon made me think of all the delicious "Rusos" I've drank in Mexico (lime juice, seltzer water, salt and chili). Salty and sour are about as complimentary as they get.:grinning:

A "Lawn" definition worthy of Webster.

32. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,239) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Sounds like you worked way too hard!

tasterschoice62 likes this.
  33. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Like you, I didn't get much (if any) bacon from this beer. It's worth noting that I did get impressions of bacon from MBCP (the one time I was fortunate enough to try it).

I found this beer delectable and rich, but at the end, too unrelentingly sweet. The very last drop of the bottle is still swimming in maple flavors. Delicious, but a tough bomber all by one's lonesome. :wink:

tasterschoice62 and cjgiant like this.
  34. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,029) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

The trade off was fantastic beers- The Juice and Another One on tap. Had a log of Super Juice but we couldnt get to it.

cjgiant likes this.
  35. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Nice Barreled Souls glass, Dee. :slight_smile:

VABA and dee4maine like this.
  36. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,436) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Greetings and salutations, NBSers. I got back to Texas this afternoon after spending the weekend in MSP with Little O. Whilst I was there, we visited Fulton, which is essentially downtown MSP, and Lupulin Brewing, which is essentially in the middle of nowhere (Big Lake, MN) in a strip mall. 45 minutes from MSP, Lupulin is worth the trip, IMHO. Try the Hooey and the Blissful Ignorance. They are worthy.

After the Lupulin visit Saturday afternoon, we went to the beer store across the street and picked up a bunch of their stuff to mule home. This fruit beer was one of those.

[​IMG]

4/5 rDev +1%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Hazy burnt orange color, tan head, the can says this beer is "Summer In A Can," and it does indeed look summery.

The aroma is obviously drenched in apricot (and I love apricot), but the blonde ale characteristics are also present with a vanilla scent also very present, especially as it warms, which is why I don't care for flights - you don't get the warming effect, at least to the degree you do in a full pour/pint can.

The taste is tart apricots, very refreshing, and the vanilla adds some sweetness so it isn't too cloying. A great beer to drink after mowing the grass on a hot summer day, which is exactly what I'm doing.

The feels captures the essence of the tart apricots, but also allows the vanilla to come forward. Well executed by Lupulin.

beerloserLI, Roguer, aoampm and 20 others like this.
  37. zid

zid Meyvn (1,267) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Why do you think that "strong dark" is a better fit than dubbel?

38. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,877) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

One and done tonight as I'm going out for dinner and a show!!!

[​IMG]

Moderate pour yields a 3/4 inch white head over a clear bright yellow body with no lacing. Nose of lime. Taste of citrus. Very thin feel and overall an unremarkable beer with a somewhat refreshing quality.

3.58/5 rDev -0.3%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Roguer, aoampm, LeRose and 20 others like this.
  39. dee4maine

dee4maine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Maine

When a kid is drinking, they mix in both salt and sugar. Eventually one is encouraged to "graduate" upto salt only. We will add either a pinch of black pepper or ground roasted cumin in the lemonade too.

zid, TheDoctor and VABA like this.
  40. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,285) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Got to agree - for several years this was my go to beer!

Samlover55 and VABA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.