New Beer Sunday (Week 644)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,431) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

#2 is courtesy of @beertunes and the NBS BIF #5, WGNaBP, otherwise known as "The Gift That Keeps On Giving" .....

[​IMG]

4.25/5 rDev +6.3%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pour is jet black, medium tan head. Aromas have the obligatory char/dark chocolate, but there's a HEAVY caramel/toffee thing going on. NOTE: I absolutely LOVE caramel/toffee notes in a big stout.

The taste is creamy, with the char mingling exquisitely with the caramel/toffee, plus there's a smokiness coming forward as this warms. Love it.

I should've sat on this, but I couldn't resist cracking it open now. I'm not sad that I made that choice, because this is excellent.

beerloserLI, Roguer, aoampm and 24 others like this.
  2. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,979) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Can't help but agree, especially with the distribution aspect of the compliment, considering we just got Burial distro, and next week we start getting Foley Brothers and Hermit Thrush, to add to the incredible selection of local and out of area brews we enjoy. And my area (in the Shawangunks/Catskills region of NY) is definitely a beautiful place to live.

3. dee4maine

dee4maine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Maine

Friends
    It's a rare TWO new beer Sunday for me!
    Almost, since technically I have had a sip of this beer a few years back but never had the whole bottle by myself.
    So I take the liberty of putting my entry in here.
    I have Allagash Tiarna, oak aged Brett Ale, which I bought in September of 2015 and cellared it.
    It comes in a 375 ml format and is a 7.1% golden Ale. It is a blend of an oak aged Brett fermented beer along with a Stainless steel vessel aged beer fermented with 2 strains of Belgian yeasts.
    [​IMG]
    They hop this with hallertau, Styrian Goldings and Cascade hops- noble and new American hop combo.
    This beer feels like Little Brett on steroids @TongoRad
    Aroma is loaded with Brett funk. Think crazy saisons. Wet horse blankets, musty basement et al.
    Taste is very refreshing and has a long long finish, like all Allagash wild ales.
    It's crispy tart upfront, green apples, gooseberries and one gets some pineapple, some tropical fruit and ending with bread crust/crackers.
    The carbonation is awesome and keeps the head going till the glass is done.
    [​IMG]
    It is pairing very well with my lobstah rolls.
    FYI I only ate 2 of those :slight_smile:
    [​IMG]
    Cheers.

beerloserLI, Roguer, aoampm and 26 others like this.
  4. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,751) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Greetings, fellow NBSers,

It's 94 degrees in the city where Hoopfest is winding down. Hopefully, those players in the finals are keeping hydrated.

I'm starting out much later than usual because my morning was spent putting together tonight's dinner (a Moroccan Chicken Stew), then helping a friend and fellow beer geek transport a 26' gate from Iron Goat Brewing (where it is now surplus to requirements) to my friend's back fence. A reward (it was both easier and quicker than anticipated) was a bottle of SN Torpedo. I also had a couple Gin Barrel Head Butts at IG before going home.

Now I'm drinking Mango Antlers from Wander (courtesy of @beertunes), an IPA with added mango.
    [​IMG]
    I've yet to knock up a review, but here's the gist. This starts off as a typical, grapefruity IPA. Then, in the middle space, things take on the flavor of mango juice. The fade out sees a co-mingling of mango juice flavor and a modest, hoppy dry finish. This isn't a fruit beer: it's an IPA with added fruit flavor, which makes it, for me, a cut above most beers with fruit flavoring as an adjunct.

Thanks to @beertunes for this. I have a lot more new beers in the fridge but first I need to put the finishing touches on the dinner in the slow cooker.

beerloserLI, Roguer, aoampm and 28 others like this.
  5. Chickenhawk9932

Chickenhawk9932 Meyvn (1,159) Jul 19, 2010 Pennsylvania

Roguer, aoampm, LeRose and 22 others like this.
  6. cjgator3

cjgator3 Poo-Bah (3,426) Jan 19, 2006 Florida
    Society

Cigar City Absolutely Okay
    Belgian Strong Dark Ale

[​IMG]

4.32/5 rDev +2.6%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle
    Bottled: 02/23/17

Absolutely Okay is a collaboration with De Struise and is a bourbon barrel aged strong dark ale. Beer was poured into an El Catador snifter and pours a dark brownish (almost black) color with a light tan head. The nose is a lot of dark malts, molasses, a lot of character coming through from the barrels as well. The taste starts out with a high level of sweetness up front that makes way for some warmth in the finish from the alcohol and barrels. The mouthfeel is surprisingly thin, really the only weakness with this beer in my opinion. Personally, I love big sweet malty barrel aged beers so this one is right up my alley.

beerloserLI, Roguer, aoampm and 24 others like this.
  7. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,043) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Zipline Oatmeal Porter, 6% ABV, 36 IBU. Pours black, with a 1+ finger tan head that left some lacing. Nose is chocolate, lactose, and malt. Taste is roasty malt, coffee, oats, with moderate bitterness. Excellent mouthfeel, overall very good.

[​IMG]

Roguer, VABA, aoampm and 20 others like this.
  8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,486) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

I'll have to try that. Sounds really good!

Victory_Sabre1973, dee4maine and zid like this.
  9. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: A well hopped Amber Ale

Evenin' NBSers with a special Hello to all the Hop Heads among us.

As expected the weather here toqday was sunny and quite warm, but not so humid as the last few days have been. The different chores and odd jobs are completed now so it's new beer time.

As indicated earlier, this evenin's new beer is from Modern Times and called Blazing Worlds. This beer is an Amber ale with a lot to offer.

As usual my review, subject to revision until the beer is finished, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31987/95921/?ba=drtth#review

As I mentioned earlier today, this beer seems to be available around here as a result of the recently ended Philly Beer Week. Out of state brewers need to establish at least a temporary distribution deal to have their beers at one or more of the events. Last year I got to try 3 different beers from the Orpheus brewery in Atlanta since they were part of the "bleed" over into the marketplace here in Philly. However that was a one time only deal for the Orpheus beers, so I suspect things will be the same with Modern Times and that I'll not be seeing this and the other cans of Modern Times beers around here again for a long time, if ever. This makes it particular nice to see some other folks earlier in the thread talking about Modern Times beers, especially @CanConPhilly since I now know which others I'm likely to find with a bit of looking. (And more importantly I have a sense from his comments of which I'd prefer to spend my money on. My highest priority is going to be the Fortunate Islands.)

This beer and its aromas and flavors are all about the hops, so there's lots of pine resin, grapefruit zest and some hints of tropical fruits holding center stage for most of the sip. It does become bitter and quite dry at the end so the lightly bready malt serves primarily to soften the rough edges of the hop bitterness. Definitely a beer worth trying if you love hops and can find it.

This evening’s music on the player is a bit of a “side-by-side” only it's more like a "back-to-back" and I’m listening to some different recordings of the same piece of Bach’s music done by different groups. (I've been on a Bach kick lately.) With a bit of work I’m hoping that I’ll be able to pick up some of the difference noted by various music critics since mostly what I look at was “Did they like it.”

This evenin’s back-to-back recordings are of the Bach Brandenburg Concerto #1. This is the first of a series of concertos written and then presented to a rich patron of Bach’s work, the Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt. (Hence the naming of all six of the Brandenburg concertos. :slight_smile:)

Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 1

Cheers, all!

#129 drtth, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    beerloserLI, Roguer, aoampm and 22 others like this.
  10. IDABEERGUY

IDABEERGUY Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Idaho

Hop Eruption from Mazama Brewing in Corvallis Oregon. Very good IPA. Not over powering in and 6.8 or ibus 75. Just about right for a hot summer evening here in Idaho. Cheers!![​IMG] [​IMG]

11. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,639) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good Evening NBS
    I have worked my 12 hours today and am ready for a new beer.
    [​IMG]

12oz canned 5/29/17 poured into a pint glass at fridge temp 9.4% ABV. The beer is hazy golden amber with a fairly thick and sticky off white head. Sticky lacing follows down the glass as you drink. The aroma is tropical fruit and less pungent than expected. The taste is somewhat sweet on the front end with a fruity & earthy combination that finishes semi dry. Mouthfeel is somewhat soft yet well carbonated. The finish is a little wet from the residual hop oils (presumably). Overall, very good.

All the enjoy by's are cause for trepidation on my end. I quit buying these after 3.14.15 because all I could smell or taste in that batch was onion. On the other hand, I have no local or semi local brewery capable of this combination of freshness and quality. Sometimes, I risk a single just to know if I'm missing out or should find something else to scratch the fresh hop itch. Glad I picked this up. Cheers.

12. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,043) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

Picked up a 4 pack of Kuhnhenn's first canning run for their Summer Solstice release. Based on some quick Untappd reviews I was hesitant for this beer.

[​IMG]

I'm glad I went for it, peoples were wrong!
    Poured into tulip. Deep dark Amber, fluffy head mahogany highlights. Good lacing that lasts throughout.
    Mostly caramel, then citrus nose. Some floral notes too.
    Caramel, burnt toffee, vanilla, orange, ruby red grapefruit, floral notes. Hints of wood. Smooth mouthfeel,very drinkable. Solid. The initial local reviews were low, it's a well made & tasty beer.

I may have to go for another 4 pack. It's that good. 4.13

13. srw

srw Zealot (599) Mar 25, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Doppelganger from Tree House
    [​IMG]
    L: Pours an opaque orangish yellow color with about a finger and a half of head. 4.0
    S: Tropical fruits, pineapple mostly. 4.0
    T: The tropical fruits from the smell plus some. Mango, pineapple, orange. Moderate bitterness on the finish. 4.5
    F: Medium body, light carbonation. Very smooth. 4.25
    O: A really good NE style DIPA. Lacking a bit in the smell but still great overall. 4.25

14. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,949) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Nice to see Kuhnhenn in cans. It's been many many years since last I've had anything from them. Very high in ABV brews what I remember.

Cheers!

15. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

I think it straddles the line between styles. The 8.0% abv puts it slightly above most dubbels. I also detected no spiciness which has been present in most if not all the dubbels I have had. I found it very similar in taste to Ommegang's Siren's song. To use Ommegang as a reference point, I remember a strong spice element to their dubbel, which the Blackberry farm dubbel lacked.

Victory_Sabre1973, ichorNet and zid like this.
  16. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,018) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Great review and writing. Personally I'm not 100% on board with the concept being that ridiculous considering what collabs and experimental and new age adjuncts they hammer the market with now. I'm in total agreement with your opinion of that brewery (?) Its does seem on the edge of being a mass marketed schtick-y beer. Like you, I havent liked anything but the peach beer. Its not too bad! Great line up today, thanks!

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  17. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,683) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Ozzylizard, Roguer, aoampm and 9 others like this.
  18. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,375) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I had this as one of the growlers and my palate agrees with you assessment for the most part. I got an almost rye-like spice aspect to the beer (perhaps aided by the carbonation. I found it fairly enjoyable as more of a pale ale than a more red amber ale. Nice to see some new beers making it beyond beer week.

Victory_Sabre1973 and drtth like this.
  19. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,018) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Dig the review and love the lawn part.
    So true. Mankind is kind of a freak of nature.:grimacing: :grinning:

20. joe1510

joe1510 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois

Evenin' folks. Been a couple, two, tree years since I've found myself posting on NBS. My reviews over the years have ebbed and flowed. I find myself wanting to review everything and then wanting to review nothing. Not sure how long it will last but I'm back in the game as of a couple weeks ago.

That gentleman @Lingenbrau sent me this Sunday's new beverage. It's a blended saison from Cellador in Los Angeles.

30% Simple Saison
    30% Spelt Saison
    15% Hoppy Saison
    15% Saaz Sour

I have no idea what the other 10% happens to be. Poor math perhaps? Whatever, it's a really great saison.

[​IMG]

4.35/5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

375ml Bottle

A huge thanks goes out to Phil for introducing this one to me. Thanks, bud! Saison Ex Luna is nearly platinum when exiting the bottle but when it fills the glass it takes on beautiful goldenrod. There's a haze enough to keep the body from being clear and it simply glows when backlit. The crown is fizzy and easy to form. Pure white tight bubbles make up the two fingers of head that eventually fall to a thick cap. Carbonation runs in streams to supplement the foam throughout the drink.

The nose is light and refreshing with some good depth. A smattering of orchard fruits get things going, pear most notably. Musty, dewiness show up in the middle along with a potent note of lime. There's a really pleasing complimentary floral quality that brings to mind a grove of wildflowers along with a soft minerality like wet stone. White grape must and a little grassy spiciness wrap it up. The nose is nuanced and seamless. Very nice, mouthwatering as a matter of fact.

The flavor actually manages to outshine the nose somehow. The depth is outstanding. Each drink seems to bring forward something new. Peaches and pears off the bat, still on the trees and dew heavy. Mustiness and wildflowers abound in the middle along with punchy lime zest and a grassy bite. That minerality and a white grape acidity bring a touch of tartness along for the ride. The barrel adds a bit of tannins to the game. This is really excellent stuff. Again, it's nuanced and delicate with a great depth of flavor.

The body feels as it should. It's on the lighter side of the spectrum but shows enough weight to keep from feeling thin. The carbonation is on the higher end of the spectrum and is active enough to really get the tongue going. It's light and airy adding a touch of frothiness on the swallow. The tannins dry out the finish nicely and leave behind a bit of tartness and a mild hoppy bitterness. Drinkability is off the charts but this is a beer to be sipped and savored. It's hard to not just drink it all up.

Saison Ex Luna is my first beer from Cellador, hell it's the first I've heard of them. With a product this good I'm sure we'll all be hearing plenty from them in the future. Hopefully some more from them comes my way in time. Thanks Phil! Great choice!

#140 joe1510, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  21. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,481) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

One last semi new beer, Tired Hands Undertow. I had a small sample back in November and was really hoping they would bottle it, my wish came true!

4.22/5 rDev +10.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle poured into a flute

A- Dark brown/black with a two finger mocha head.

S- Tart, mild funk and yogurt like quality, blueberries, some roasted malts, hints of chocolate, some wine grapes.

T- Sour, blueberries, roasted malts, some oak, some funk, hints of chocolate, some grape must, touch of yogurt.

M- Smooth, light body.

O- A great dark sour with blueberries, worth seeking out.
    [​IMG]
    Can't wait to pick up more, cheers!

22. zid

zid Meyvn (1,263) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I picked up one pack of Blenheim (the hot version) and really enjoyed it. (I can like intense ginger... not necessarily in beer... but I liked the Beer Camp beer). When people just smelled the Blenheim they'd usually give me a look like I wasn't for real.

23. zid

Trader

[​IMG]

Two Brothers Pinball

It's always a rare treat when I stumble upon some Two Brothers beer in my area. This is a very nice "drinking beer." It has a mild bitterness and some tangerine flavor without being overdone. This beer expertly balances that to arrive at a beer that goes down really easily, but doesn't feel compromised in its makeup or character. The can says "juicy," and while everything is relative, I think many people picking this up will be disappointed if they are buying it for that word.

Ozzylizard, Roguer, BJB13 and 15 others like this.
  24. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (735) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

I learned this past week that I don't adapt as well to sleep and work schedule changes as I did in my younger days. I've never really been a 'morning' person and have spent the last ten years or so working second shift (3PM-11PM normally), works great for me. I don't need to set or be woken by the shrill of an alarm clock and I get to eat lunch at school with my little ones weekly as well as attend all the school functions. Well customer demands forced a change in my shift last week so I had the pleasure of working 3AM-3PM. We are a supplier for GM and when they need something they expect us to jump through hoops and hurdles to get it done. I made it through the work week but didn't accomplish anything else, in my younger days that wouldn't have been a problem. Then Friday my boss asks me if I could work 3rd shift this week and I agreed, it wasn't until that I realized that would cut into my NBS....ugh.
    I did have one new beer earlier in the afternoon while grilling and before taking (trying to) a nap.
    [​IMG]
    Wasn't sure how the vanilla bean/orange would work with this one they had me at triple IPA. Poured a mostly clear dark orange with two fingers of dense white head. Predominately smell the orange with hints of vanilla. The vanilla orange combo was definitely there in the taste, orange Creamsicle like. Medium to full mouthfeel with decent corabonation. Personally I would classify this one in the dessert category, a little sweet for a big IPA.

25. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,375) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Welcome back! I'd definitely say that review was squarely on the "flow" side. Thanks for joining in :slight_smile:.

26. joe1510

Thanks for accepting the likes of me, Poo-Bah.

27. woemad

Society Trader

Its now after dinner. My Moroccan Chicken Stew turned out really well. It is now well and truly hot this evening. Not the sort of weather for stouts, quads, etc, but tolerable for a "Kaskade Fresh" "Premium Lager." It comes from Kulshan, a brewery I wish were distributed this side of the Cascades (with a "C").
    [​IMG]
    A nice basic lager that, while not a flavor bomb, would make an excellent lawnmower beer on a hot day like today.

beerloserLI, aoampm, LeRose and 10 others like this.
  28. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (7,996) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

A little background: The owner of Farmstrong, Mike Armstrong, was the longtime brewer at Skagit River Brewing. A couple years ago, the owner of Skagit decided he wanted to focus on the restaurant side of things. He sold all the brewing equipment to Mike, who now produces some of Skagit's beer under their original names, and has renamed others. This beer was formerly known as Trumpeter Stout. It was a longtime regional, under-the-radar favorite. it holds up very well over time (IIRC, I've still got a bottle of '09 Trumpeter in my cellar). The barrel aged versions have varied, but when they're on, they're great.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1394/17404/

29. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,420) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

This is the view of Angle Inlet out the front door of the cabin I'm staying in. After the amazing elk burgers and walleye, an amazing beer is in order. Sherpas Survival Kit from Forager is in order.

Such an amazing beer. Rich. Chocolatey. Coffee. Just damn amazing.

This might be the last new beer for NBS. I hope you all have had an amazing day. Enjoy!

aoampm, LeRose, FFFjunkie and 8 others like this.
  30. dee4maine

dee4maine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Maine

Man, that review was fantastic!! I found myself drinking/tasting the beer as I read the review. You have a gift with words (not only the funny and sarcastic jokes) and I hope this phase of describing beer like this lasts a bit longer this time.

TheDoctor, TongoRad and joe1510 like this.
  31. RJLarse

RJLarse Poo-Bah (1,896) Dec 30, 2005 Washington
    Society

Greetings All from the Great Northwest where Summer is in full swing. Sunny, with temps in the mid-90's.

Today we have Juiced IPA from Sam Adams. Overly sweet in my book.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/255872/

Had he brew kettle fired up today. I have been working on a couple of Deschutes Red Chair clone recipes. The first was off the mark, lacking the caramel sweetness. Second batch was better, but both were extract brews. Today is an all grain attempt. We'll know in a month or so.

Until next time,

Hoppy Trails!
    [​IMG]

32. joe1510

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Beer...it's my muse.

dee4maine likes this.
  33. ONUMello

ONUMello Poo-Bah (2,561) Feb 24, 2009 Ohio
    Society

I just got off work for the evening and the conclusion of 7 straight so my weekend is just beginning :sunglasses:
    [​IMG]
    This is definitely Belgian in style- what I associate with their yeast strains certainly showed. Fairly floral, a bit bready, a bit of banana on the palate and a bit of fruitiness from the chokecherries. That being said I've had chokecherries and get little to none of the acidity/bitterness/flavor I typically associate with them in this beer. Those are all qualities I associate with various beer styles and I think could add a nice touch if they showed more prevalently here. Overall a decent saison regardless, just not quite what I anticipated going in.

Ozzylizard, Roguer, aoampm and 13 others like this.
  34. woemad

Society Trader

Whoa! Farmstrong needs to start getting that beer across the mountains!

35. zid

Trader

[​IMG]

Weihenstephaner Kristallweizenbock

I'm late to the party with this one, but better late than never. The head on this one is a thick foam in the lovely German way. This beer is a glowing gold / light amber. It looks rich in every way before you even lift the glass. The taste delivers on the visual promise.

It's as if the brewers decided to load both barrels - one shell for drinkability, and the other for flavor impact. These two things can clash with each other ordinarily, but here they are racing with each other... trying to outdo each other... and the whole thing manages to remain cohesive. What an accomplishment.

The beer hits hard with clove at first, moves into bubblegum, and turns into peach as it warms.

Ozzylizard, Roguer, aoampm and 11 others like this.
  36. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (2,692) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio
    Society

Ending my night with an at least 6 or 7 year old Samuel Adams Wee Heavy I had aging in my cellar. Quite a nice end to my weekend. While not a new beer for me per se since I did have this beer fresh when it was first distributed national, or when it first showed up in 4 packs for the first time in my area at least 6 or 7 years ago. This is the last bottle from said 4 pack. And I've never had this beer after being aged for this long, so in that sense it is a new beer I guess for this Sunday. It aged fantastically too by the way!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/56400/?ba=neenerzig#review

Eric

Ozzylizard, Roguer, aoampm and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.