New Beer Sunday (Week 694)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,509) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Premium

First, and most importantly, let me congratulate @cjgiant for his Capitals winning the Stanley Cup. I think it’s the second time for them in the finals, and their first victory. Well done!

And speaking of sports, I thought you’d all like to hear about the state of my golf game. We had our usual late start (May) to the season, and so far I have played eight rounds. The first thing that became apparent is that I lost another 10 yards over the winter, despite exercising and yoga. I guess that is to be expected with age, and it doesn’t factor too much into my game. I’ve moved from the blue tees to the white tees, and I expect that by the time I am 80 (10 years from now) I will have moved up to the green tees. The other thing I have noticed is that my yips have improved. Yips are a nervous condition caused by a fear of failure. The wrist breaks down and the putter face is all over the place. My friends said I always looked like I was having a seizure when I putted. I solved the putting problem by switching to a long putter, and I adapted to a rule change by not anchoring the putter to my chest. I’ll never be a good putter, but I’m no longer a poor one. However, once I had the putting yips conquered, they showed up in my chips. I have tried a variety of remedies and finally this year tried chipping cross-handed. And the yips have disappeared. I expect that this will be a good golf season. I will play more when I retire at the end of the month. We are also moving to a warmer climate, so I will be playing golf throughout the year.

Perhaps you have played some golf today. And perhaps you are sitting in your grille, drinking a beer. And what if that beer turned out to be one you have never had? Well, then you have all the ingredients for New Beer Sunday. How does the beer look? How’s the aroma? Describe the taste, then tell us how it feels in your mouth. Finally, what is your overall impression of your new beer? See if you can make a hole in one.

2. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (23,920) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Premium Trader

Good morning NBS, hope everyone is enjoying the end of the weekend once again. Thanks to @lordofthewiens for starting us off this morning. Will be a normal Sunday for me as usual. I made a very big new beer haul yesterday again. Mostly large format, not much 12 ounce singles left right now. I am coming up to 6900 written reviews this week.

Morning review:

2017 rum barrel edition apparently(but it's only 22% of the blend; 36% french oak/42% american oak). This was fantastic! Awesome lasting head retention and thick lacing on the glass. Aromas and flavors of big raisin, plum, fig, cherry, pear, red apple, red grape, peppercorn, clove, rum, toasted oak, and light banana; moderate caramel, brown sugar, and toasted brown bread malt balance; with lighter notes of oaken vanilla, herbal/floral/grassy hops, and yeast earthiness. Moderate peppery yeast, rum/oak tannin spiciness; and light herbal/grassy bitterness on the finish. Medium high carbonation, medium-plus body, and fairly crisp finishing. Balanced creamy/grainy malt, sticky hops/yeast, and oak tannins in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing spicy/tannic/carbonated dryness. Very smooth, zero warming 10.5%. Really loved this one, but not any more than the base Grand Reserve. Awesome balance of yeast complexity and malts/sugars as usual; the oak is VERY prominent, but not overwhelming. For 42 dollars, I'll take the base beer over it all year. Was a wonderful experience otherwise. 4.23
    [​IMG]

Cheers, be back much later on with more new beers as usual.

3. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,035) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

It's a grand and glorious morning, bright, shiny and relatively cool. Even the pollen count is low and I can breathe well enough to enjoy the scent of this . . .

[​IMG]

Dark brown color with ruby red highlights.

Aroma of dark toasty malt and dark ripe Mission figs with a light lacing of licorice.

Taste is dark malt with a cola like richness that brings together the malt, figs, licorice elements into a well balanced whole. The finish brings a touch of sweetness that lingers in the aftertaste just long enough to offset the malt roastyness.

Light medium texture with balancing carbonation.

Overall it strikes me as a well balanced take on the style that is also well crafted. Sometimes these bigger beers can get unwieldy but this one sits with poise, grace and confidence.

4. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,532) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Cheers you all and thanks to @lordofthewiens for getting us up and out of bed today!

Happy Here is my story and I am sticking to it Sunday!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The other day I was in my local Wegman's where I was greeted by a personable young fellow whose name escapes me. I asked him if there was anything new I should know about and before he could answer I saw him reach way back into his mind and almost wander off. So I snapped my fingers at him and said; "You are on the spot right now." He must have thought I was a big bitch but he did make a pretty good speech. After he meandered around the shelf beers trying to notice a reaction, he went to the cooler and brought me the beer I will try for you this week. I like him very much. This is Rohrbach's Hop Drop and it was delivered to my local Wegman's uber fresh at the insistence of the brewer.

Pours lemon yellow with a light haze. Fat creamy head that lasts and clings as it falls. No active carbonation in the beer. The haze gives it a soft candy like glow. Nose is a touch of sweetness and a catty hop. Green bell pepper. Grasses and lemon. Taste is smooth and silky. The hops offer a little bitterness to accent their herbal and give a touch sticky mouthfeel to a soft and very palatable malt. The bitterness does not strip the palate but leaves it open to the food. Finishes without any bite from bubbles just some softer carbonation to let it go down malty and expansive. The beer is crisp and creamy at the same time. If these ekuanot hops have a fruity flavor I am hard pressed to see it on this beer at first because of their sensational green pepper scent and then I notice melon. As it warms I began to notice more fruity type scents that I would say are tropical. The hop is also peppery. Both peppery as in herbal pepper and pepper as in white pepper. There is a mild floral. I love these complex hops. The citrus in them is very suggestable and you could say either lemon or lime. I was calling them equinox and that is now my mistake. These hops are so unique , so freshly vibrant with an uncommon flavor that I have been pairing them with all kinds of foods. This beer goes with fajitas, paprikash, chicken and dumplings, pepper steak and any dish that features green pepper. Move over Vienna lager there is now a new choice!

The dishes I am going to show you are all original Steamed Cod with Nectarine, Fried Cod with Eggplant Fried Rice and the Mexican Style Grilled Cheese. I won't bore you with every detail but please be advised this beer loves food!

[​IMG]

5. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (8,553) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Happy New Flying Dog Beer Sunday (Week 694)!

I know that I have done at least one other FDNBS brewery horizontal in the past, but in winnowing through the Tavour backlog, I realized that I had enough from Flying Dog to do justice to another FDNBS. I started shortly after Midnight (EDT), which is when this weekly thread should start, or at GMT Midnight (currently 2000, EDT), so many of yinz are going to need to catch up.

Speaking of catching up, yes, CANgratulations to @cjgiant & the WAS Caps, but that's just one as CANpared to PGH's five. I am already looking forward to the start of the 2018-'19 hockey season & not just at the NHL level, either. I also follow the HER Bears in the AHL & the Reading Royals in the ECHL. I CAN watch hockey at any level from street/floor/deck to peewee/mites on ice right up to the big boys. LOVE me some hockey!

I am also looking forward to this year's soccer/football World Cup & I am on the #ADOPTICELAND bandwagon. Yes, it actually exists & they did qualify.

Finally, what I have been doing while the You Snooze, You Lose set has been slacking:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/323109/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    &
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/329948/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]

I leave you, for now, with a riddle: Q: What did the Mama Tomato say when her Baby Tomato fell behind & got stepped on by an elephant? A: Ketchup (Catch up, if yinz CAN, said The Woodman)!

6. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,654) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: A Light Lager

Mornin’ NBSers with a special alert for those who enjoy a light lager once in a while. Also, a special thanks to today’s host, @lordofthewiens.

I'd say a bit about my golf game, but it's one of those sports activities I could never really get into simply because I'm (and always was) totally inept at it. :confused:

Today’s weather is expected to be cooler, with highs in the low 70s, cloudy, with possible showers late this afternoon. Seems like a good time to brighten things up a bit with a clean, crisp and refreshing beer.

This morning's new beer is the Michelob Ultra Pure Gold from Anheuser-Busch.

As usual my review, subject to revision until the beer is finished, can be found here.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/331189/?ba=drtth#review

Not surprisingly, given the Brewery and style of this beer, the Ultra Pure Gold is not intensely flavored. That does not mean, however that it is flavorless. The aromas/flavors include some light bready malt and a touch of grassy hops. There’s a light sweetness here that slowly fades to reveal a bit of grassy bitterness from the hops. The ending is clean, crisp, dry and refreshing so that it would be very easy to drink more than one or to spend an entire evening with a few bottles of just this beer. On the whole this would be a refreshing light beer for a summer evening out with friends.

Cheers, all!

7. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,035) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

Pours a deep red coloration with a small, fizzy, pink head. Smells wonderfully of tart, ripe cherries and hints of estery spice.

Taste follows the nose, being dominated by a rich flavor of fresh, ripe, tart red cherries with hints of citrus, oak, and spice. Finishes with a medium sourness and a bit of acidity coming through in the aftertaste. Light/medium body with medium/lively carbonation.

I'm having this quite fresh (6 weeks from bottling) and I feel that this really comes through in a very fresh and fruity, almost juicy cherry aroma and flavor. However, on the other hand, there really isn't that much complexity to it. Still, a great balance of sourness and sweetness, with a very rich fruity character.

8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,715) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

What is your favorite Summer (hot weather) beer?

The calendar says that summer is 11 days away but IMO Mother Nature is saying something different!

One of my favorite hot weather beers is a Kolsch. I was thinking to myself: Self, what is better than a Kolsch on a warm day like today? I responded with the answer: Three Kolsch Beers!!

So, luckily I have three Kolsch beers available for enjoyment plus a bit of a compare & contrast exercise.

Straub has decided just this year (January 2018) to produce year-round their Kolsch that they are now branding as Tight Lines Kolsch.

On the Straub website there is a story:

“A medal-winner at the 2016 World Beer Cup, Tight Lines Ale pays tribute to the thousands of miles of trout streams, lakes, and recreational waterways flowing through the PA Wilds™ region, and the people who enjoy them. Tight Lines Ale calls to mind popular places like Pine Creek, First Fork, Tionesta Creek, Cedar Run, East Branch of the Clarion, Slate Run, and Freeman Run— where generations of Fiercely Independent™ outdoor enthusiasts have fished, relaxed, and partied.

Tight Lines Ale also extends accolades to the past generations of leadership who had the foresight to ensure that these legendary streams were secured as public waters open to everyone for all time.

This Kölsch-style all-malt ale is Straub Brewery’s take on the classic style from the Cologne brewing tradition. Its light and refreshing profile nicely complements the renewing spirit of spring and early summer.”

Some beer details from the website:

TECHNICAL SPECS:
    • Malt – German Pilsner, German Heritage Wheat Malt, and Carapils
    • Hops – German Perle & Tettnang
    • Yeast – Kolsch Ale Yeast
    • Color – Straw
    • ABV – 5%
    • IBU’s – 25
    Sierra Nevada decided to brew a Kolsch to be part of their Party Pack variety pack. From the Sierra Nevada website:

“Kölsch

A hoppy twist on the light and classic style.

From Cologne to California, Kölsch-style beers are a favorite around the world. These light-bodied beers share the expressive character of an ale with the crisp, clean finish commonly found in lager beers. For our stamp on the style, Kölsch has a blast of floral and citrusy American and European whole-cone hops. This beer contains wheat malt to maintain the legendary drinkability of a classic Kölsch but adds a nod to our American brewing heritage and our love of hop flavor.
    Contains Wheat.

Overview

• Alcohol Content 5.0% by volume
    • Beginning gravity 12° plato
    • Ending Gravity 2.5° plato
    • Bitterness Units 30
    Ingredients
    • Yeast Ale yeast
    • Bittering Hops Magnum
    • Finishing Hops Spalt Spalter, Loral™
    • Malts Acidulated, Steffi Pilsner”
    So, for this year’s version they decided to use some Loral hops as part of the aroma hops. Pretty interesting!

I do not have a website for Jack’s Homebrewery but below are some details for the beer I brewed. If I had a Marketing & Sales person as an employee I too would have an interesting story for this beer.
    • Malt: Weyermann German Pilsner malt
    • Hops: Tettnang Hops for bittering
    • Yeast: Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast 2565)
    Two beers served in my 0.4 liter Stange glasses and my Kolsch served in a FW Pivo Pils glass:

Appearance:

Straub Kölsch: Medium Straw colored with a white head.

Sierra Nevada Kolsch: Light straw colored with a white head.

Jack’s Kölsch: Medium straw colored with a HUGE white head.

Aroma:

Straub Kölsch: A delicate sweet-ish Pilsner Malt aroma.

Sierra Nevada Kolsch: The first aroma I am picking up is some citrus (lemony) but there is some bready (cracker-like) Pilsner malt in the background.

Jack’s Kölsch: A noticeable aroma of bready Pilsner Malt accompanied by a white wine aroma (akin to a Sauvignon Blanc wine from the Pacific Northwest).

Taste:

Sraub Kölsch: Flavors follows the nose with sweet-ish Pilsner Malt flavors with just a hint of floral.

Sierra Nevada Kolsch: Flavor follows the nose with a combination of citrus and bready flavors.

Jack’s Kölsch: Flavor follows the nose with the bready Pilsner Malt being prominent but nicely complemented by the subtle but very noticeable white wine flavor.

Mouthfeel

Straub Kölsch: Smooth mouthfeel with a dry-ish finish

Sierra Nevada Kolsch: Light/Medium bodied with a dry-ish finish.

Jack’s Kölsch: Medium bodied and enticingly crisp with a dry finish.

Overall

Straub Kölsch: A refreshing beer to drink on a warm/hot summer day. I can fully understand why this beer won a medal at the 2016 WBC.

Sierra Nevada Kolsch: Also a refreshing beer. I enjoyed the combination of citrus and bready flavors.

Jack’s Kölsch: Yup, very refreshing beer as well. This beer has drinkability, or as the Germans say: süffig!

I only wish that I had three hands so I could readily drink all of these beers at the same time

Cheers!

@rotsaruch @ecpho @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @Sixpoint @SierraTerence @JValm

[​IMG]

#8 JackHorzempa, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  9. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,169) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

The food looks great!

FFFjunkie, Vidblain, Premo88 and 5 others like this.
  10. LloydDobler

LloydDobler Champion (807) Jul 25, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

@TheGent sent me my breakfast coffee for today. Many thanks! Let’s dive in.
    Very dark color, almost black. A heavy pour yields a half glass of dense, dark brown foam. Nice lacing. There is a burst of cinnamon on the nose followed by milk chocolate. First sip gives me a lot of milk chocolate and the cinnamon just kinda comes in to play afterward. Dark roast coffee from start to finish. Very smooth and slick on the tongue. Nice brew that I wouldn’t mind revisiting.
    [​IMG]

To touch on what @lordofthewiens opened up with, ive been golfing once this year so far. It was a charity scramble for AIDS awareness that went down last month. It turned out to be 41, windy, a bit rainy, and overall a horrible day. Too bad if you compared it to my golf game, the day looked beautiful. I will get back out to golf my regular 5-10 rounds a year, but today I’m going, with the wife, to watch the women stroke it at the Symetra tournament. Those ladies can play!
    Cheers!

11. VABA

3 Floyd’s Dreadnaught

[​IMG]
    A-Pours a very nice light amber color with a generous head and lacing
    A-Aroma has abundant hoppy hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a resonating hoppy flavor
    M-A medium bodied excellently carbonated beer with a very nice bitterness
    O-A very well balanced beer

12. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,275) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Good morning New BSers! Thank you, @lordofthewiens, for today's start. My personal opinion is that golf is the ruination of a good walk, but in the distant past of my youth, I liked to attack the driving range to release frustrations and aggression. Today I only watch sport, in particular turtle sumo wrestling in the reflection in the Komodo Dragon picture in front of me - if I acknowledge that they're wrestling on the dock by looking directly at them, they both jump into the water - screw the mammal, he's only raised us from hatchlings and fed us every day! Oh well.

Today's New Breakfast Beer for New Beer Sunday is:

$ 14.67 (Including shipping)/capped and waxed bomber ($ 0.667/oz) from Tavour, Seattle, WA.
    “12/19/17” stamped on label above barcode, so probably the bottling date. Stored at 42 degrees prior to consumption and served at 48 degrees in a hand-washed and hand-dried Jester King snifter.
    Appearance – 4.25.
    Body – Dark brown, opaque. When held to the light, minimal penetration occurs at the meniscus.
    Head – Large (Maximum 4.8 cm, aggressive center pour), khaki, dense with a few surface rocks, good retention, diminishing to an irregular 0.9 to 1.7 cm lacy ring and a thin complete layer with rocks.
    Lacing – Excellent - wide bands of mostly tiny bubbles, connected by thin columns.
    First pour – Medium brown, clear.
    Aroma – 3.75 – Chocolate and only chocolate. This disappears toward the end.
    Flavor – 4 - Begins with a sweet chocolate and rapidly morphs into a semi-sweet chocolate as the hops kick in. The bitterness is minimal and addresses the initial sweetness well. Not detecting any caramel typically associated with a porter. Also, NO bourbon-ness in either the nose or taste. No oakiness. No alcohol (11% ABV), although a transient gastric warming does occur. No diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 3.75 – Medium, creamy, soft carbonation.
    Impression and summation – 4.25 – Overall, a very enjoyable chocolate porter that apparently wasted nine months in bourbon barrels. By the end of the bottle, as the temperature approached 60 degrees, some oaky vanillin began to appear, but this is about ten degrees above the preferred temperature to consume a porter, so… Had I been drinking constantly instead of intermingling drinking with analysis and typing, I would have totally missed the vanillin. Next time I’m in Sisters, I’ll stop in and try to try the base beer – Fivepine chocolate porter.
    Rating 3.98, rDev +4.2%.

#12 Ozzylizard, Jun 10, 2018
  13. lordofthewiens

Premium

Nothing beats a round of golf when its cold, wet, and windy!
    At least it was a scramble.

FFFjunkie, Premo88 and LloydDobler like this.
  14. eppCOS

eppCOS Crusader (722) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium

Howdy NBSers, so I thought I'd finally make a new post here, considering the effort I went to get this back. Packed this beer, checked in, and with the brewery's glass I might add. Brasserie du Vignoble, out of Riquewihr (Alsace) France has been brewing for 20 years now. This is their rendition of a smoked porter. Black Page #4
    App
    : dark as night at first, but actually not completely opaque, a weird cross-over style between an Aecht smoked beer and a regular porter.
    Aroma: smells like smoke, but with a bit more caramel malt around the edge, intriguing.
    Taste: again, tastes as it smells, a little one-note for me, and a bit thin, but only 5% too so I can't really take it down a notch for not tasting as a heavy as the smell might hint at... a really intriguing combo of a Rauchbier style and a porter/stout.
    Mouthfeel: Solid, but thin, and a little less carbonated than I'd like. Had been around for 3 months in the bottle however, so...
    Overall: Glad I did this, the trouble of bringing it back with some fun new glass is nice, too - would encourage you all to check out this little craft place in Riquewihr if you're ever in Alsace doing some sampling for notable white wines... mostly what we drank while we were there. But glad I tried at least one craft brewer in town. They have a nice biergarten in the back too.
    Cheers!
    [​IMG]

#14 eppCOS, Jun 10, 2018
    2beerdogs, bl00, FFFjunkie and 39 others like this.
  15. jkblr

jkblr Meyvn (1,354) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

Good morning NBS
    It's been a while since I've been able to post on a relaxed Sunday morning. I start nightshifts tonight, so taking it easy this morning. We have Fathead distribution here, but I had to pick this one up while out of town.
    [​IMG]
    The review:
    12oz bottled 4/11/18 (60 days ago) poured into a mug at fridge temp 4.9% ABV 24 IBU. The beer pours bright straw yellow with a steady nearly white head. This beer must not be filtered as I have a significant amount of tiny floaties. Head retention is average and some lacing is left behind. The aroma is yeasty and rather intense for a Helles style. The taste is floral and grassy hops over the top of a muted malt backbone. The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied, adequately carbonated and dry in the finish. Overall, good. I'm still perplexed by the floaties and strong hop presence. If there were a helles/pilsner/kellerbier hybrid class, this would be a contender. Very enjoyable still, just not easily rated to style.

I had originally thought I might compare the Starlight to my last Alpenflo and curiosity won out.
    [​IMG]
    I couldn't capture much of the differences with the camera, but the Alpenflo is a shade darker, holds less head and is brighter. The Starlight has a more noticeable aroma (although I'm not crazy about yeasty smells in lagers, so not sure that's a plus). The Alpenflo definitely has more malt and malt complexity from front to back. Alpenflo has more body and feel.

You won't go wrong with either of these beers. Drink what's fresh and in hand. I have another new beer that I'm quite excited about. I'm be back. Cheers!

16. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,821) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

FFFjunkie, Premo88, MacMalt and 2 others like this.
  17. jkblr

jkblr Meyvn (1,354) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

Looks a little slow on NBS right at the moment. I put my Helles mugs in the fridge, drank a cup of water and brought out my big gun. @GreenBayBA and @scream might drink this one like Old Milwaukee tallboys, but I was super excited to see these singles on the shelf at my local bottle shop.
    [​IMG]
    The review:
    12oz bottled March 2018 poured into a Duvel glass at just above fridge temp, no ABV listed on label. The beer pours pitch black with minimal khaki colored head. The head recedes to a thin ring and leaves barely any lacing. The aroma is lovely with bourbon, coffee, chocolate and vanilla working in and out of each sniff. The taste is dark roasted malt, coffee and dark chocolate up front rolling into bourbon and oak on the finish. Mouthfeel is full to medium bodied, lowly carbonated and mostly dry in the finish. The bitterness seems to come from the coffee and roast malt and the balance is perfect. Overall, outstanding. Fantastic beer with little to no hype. Recommended.

This is the first Brewer's Reserve beer outside the core 4 to make it to shelves here in southern Indiana. I sincerely hope it's not the last. I really appreciate a balanced barrel aged beer and it seems with CW, they are always available at an outstanding value. Cheers all & enjoy the new beer in your glass today!

Jaywalsh20, bl00, FFFjunkie and 40 others like this.
  18. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (1,864) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Good morning, NBS crew! Very glad to have a relaxing Sunday at home after last Sunday’s 6+ hours in line. This is one of the beers acquired from that line, and so far it’s my 2nd favorite from that 7-can release. (Only Void Retrospective being #1. I doubt anything will beat that one.)

High Tripper - Tired Hands
    IPA - 6.66% abv
    Canned 5/31/18 (10 days ago)
    Purchased for $20/4 at Tired Hands
    Score: 4.33 (-0.5% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - massive, 3.5 finger pillowy offwhite head atop an opaque, burnt yellow body.

S - grapefruit, melon, papaya, herb, pine. The nose on this is quite lovely.

T - bitter grapefruit pith, with a sprinkle of sugar on top. The tropical fruits are present but the grapefruit is prominent. Mild dankness. Somewhat dirty middle. Moderate bitterness. Low sweetness. Moderate booziness.

F - medium body with above-average carb.

O - this strikes me as much more West Coast than usual for Tired Hands. Bitterness is more prominent, and the booze is more noticeable than in any other TH I’ve had recently. Still, all the elements work well together, and this is a pleasure to drink. Closest comparable: Foreign Objects’ Green Galaxy.

strohme2, Jaywalsh20, bl00 and 41 others like this.
  19. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,392) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] Poured into a can shaped pint, canned on 6/6/18. Pours a very clear and attractive orange yellow, with a massive 2 finger sticky white head, that leaves a thick wall of lace as it slowly settles into a thin layer of bubbles. 4.5

Smell is guava, apricot, peach, mango, and a hint of piney grapefruit. 4.25

Taste follows tropical front to back with a little grapefruit bitterness, loaded with mango and the other tropical flavors are in a supporting roll. 4.5

Mouthfeel is a solid medium, plenty of life, maybe a tad dry and not complaining, and goes down very easy but has a ton of flavor for 5.3%. 4.5

Overall this is an excellent APA that is sessionable, but loaded with big tropical flavor. Well done and keep your eye on this little brewery, they are about to explode! 4.25

FFFjunkie, Vidblain, LeRose and 37 others like this.
  20. lordofthewiens

Premium

This is shaping up to be a busy week. I'm throwing a little retirement party next Saturday, and people are starting to arrive today. This afternoon my daughter, husband, and dachshund arrive.
    Tuesday another daughter, two grandsons, and her new boyfriend will be here. Wednesday another daughter. Friday my in laws. Saturday my son and his boyfriend. Some are staying here, others will be in hotels. Everyone likes one another, so things shouldn't get too crazy. I'm going to play golf with my daughter's boyfriend so I can size him up. Other than Skype, I haven't met him yet.

My new beer for today is Founders' Double Trouble, "an imperial IPA that was brewed to turn your world upside down." It was bottled on 05/18/18 and is 9.4% ABV.
    The beer is a clear, bright gold color. There is a small white head that disappears quickly, and a little bit of lace.
    Fruity aroma, mostly citrus, but also some tropical. Then some pine. There is a sweet malt background.
    Grapefruit and grapefruit rind taste. Some mango. Pine late. Caramel.
    Nice bitterness.
    Just when you think you're getting weary of IPAs, along comes this beer to restore your faith.

[​IMG]

strohme2, Jaywalsh20, bl00 and 47 others like this.
  21. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,002) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

Good morning, all, and Happy New/Old American Brown Ale Sunday! While on a trip back to Ohio a couple of years ago, I grabbed a Palo Santo Marron for ticking purposes. I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time. I decided to revisit it after it showed up here not too long ago. This is a big (12% ABV) brown ale aged in vessels crafted from the wood of the bursera graveolens tree, or "palo santo" ("holy stick") in Spanish. This tree belongs to the same family as frankincense and myrrh, and is widely used in South American folk medicine. The beer is exceptional, with lots of warm caramel and vanilla plus notes of chocolate and tart black cherry. Very low bitterness, and not as much alcohol warmth as I expected given the high ABV. The sweet spot seems to be just above cellar temperature, at which the aromas and flavors really seem to come alive. ¡Salud!

[​IMG]

4.49/5 (rDev +7.4%)
    look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
    Full review here.

Jaywalsh20, bl00, FFFjunkie and 41 others like this.
  22. VABA

[​IMG]
    A-Pours a very nice light amber color with a generous head and lacing
    A-Aroma has abundant hoppy hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a resonating hoppy flavor
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A well balanced beer

23. lordofthewiens

Premium

Thank you for the very interesting botany lesson.

Premo88, dcotom and kemoarps like this.
  24. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,911) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

Thanks to @lordofthewiens for kicking things off. My new beer is Ganter Helles Lager. This is a local Freiburg brewery. It's a hot day, and I felt like trying something crisp. Pours a nice transparent orange. Quickly dissipating white head. Nose is really nice - subtle notes of pine and citrus, with a herbal smell that comes through as well. Getting some nice wheat and bread as well. Taste is super refreshing. Somewhat sweet initially, with a good amount of wheat, bread, and nuts. Slight citrus - orange mostly. Nothing bitter here - just really smooth. No single flavor dominates. Not much pine coming through on the taste. Definitely a nice earthy flavor. Mouthfeel is light and dry. Really nice aftertaste. Overall, I really like this lager and will definitely get more. Cheers!

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

[​IMG]

bl00, FFFjunkie, Vidblain and 35 others like this.
  25. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,693) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Hello and happy NBS! A cool and raining morning in Southern Wisconsin which makes it great for enjoying a stout.

Raised Grain Black Walnut pours a jet black, with a 2.5 finger almond colored head. Fades slowly and leaves a cap with a good amount of lacing on my glass. Starts with deep roasted malts, a bit of nuttiness, the moves into coffee and dark chocolate sensation, then fades to a multitude of toasty, roasty and caramel malt flavors. Smooth, rich, full- bodied feel with good carbonation. This was definitely worthy of the medal it won.

[​IMG]

bl00, FFFjunkie, Vidblain and 32 others like this.
  26. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,636) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

[​IMG] New beer for me from Hi Wire Brewing comes with a cool warning on the can that it contains alcohol.

Let me add up front that this beer imo is just terrible. It was canned on 5/11 so it’s certainly fresh enough, I think they forgot the Amarillo and Citra they advertise, it’s supposed to be a DIPA clocking in at 8.3 abv, what it is is a malty mess of a beer. I was at the pool and it was kinda hot popped the top took a sip made a face and gauged the buzz wasn’t worth it and poured it out, came home and poured out the other 3. I hate malty ipas and taken blind I’d guess it to be 8-9 months old, buyer beware this beer comes with a very high yuck factor. Let me also add that the only redeeming thing I could think of is that it would be OK to keep around to serve up for a beer mooching brother in law, it would serve him right, you couldn't cook with it it would ruin the meal.

#26 nc41, Jun 10, 2018
  27. CanConPhilly

Premium Trader

New beer #2.

Promise Ring - High Branch
    IPA - 6.2% abv
    Score: 3.77 (-9.2% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - 3-finger yellowish head atop a translucent orange body.

S - orange, pine, candy.

T - sweet orange candy. A very odd anise/licorice taste follows. Piney middle. Low bitterness. Moderate sweetness. Low booziness.

F - medium-full body with average carb.

O - the sweet licorice taste ruins this for me. Not sure if this is a flaw or intentional, but it clashes with the hops and distracts from the other qualities of this brew.

28. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,679) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Premium

Hey what's going on!?

Well we still are partying it up good down here in the DC area!! It's just a high that wont die right now, I'll be ready for the parade on Tuesday.

In the meantime I got lots of beer.. LOTS OF NEW BEER! and I am way behind... so this is the perfect excuse...

What's NEW for our hero today?!?!?

Poured from the crowler into a nonic pint glass, approximately 16 hours after canning.

Minimal head creation, barely half a finger of eggshell white like colored head. A simple puck does manage to stay though the entire time. Body color is going in that NE vein, not totally turbid, But an almost banana to lemon yellow and pale grapefruit colored body. Looks like grapefruit juice.

Slightly fruity nose, but aroma is a little bit closed and neutral. Small touch more in esters than hop it seems on first whiff. Creamy and chewy sensing sweetness, with perhaps a tropical hop bent, but it's a little tricky to tell.

Palate seems to maintain this quite neutral presence. Simple backbone, forgoing the sense of chewy and textured sweet senses on the nose one would expect. Slightly prickly, a touch of orange citrus hop, but also mimosa like faint carbonation quality. Finishes a bit dry, almost parching. Good hop warmth on the finish though, with a bit of dry herbality that lingers.

This seems more like a dumbed down IPA than a regular solid pale ale. Decent but there's room for this to be better I think.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75 | BA Generated Score: 3.7

Cheers!

Premo88, FFFjunkie, bret717 and 35 others like this.
  29. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Savant (933) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Founders PC Pils
    ..around a medium body and carbonation
    ..Aroma is bitter pine,citrus,grapefruit, and a bit of hay
    ..Taste follows the nose,bitter pine definitely dominates with grapefruit,then citrus coming through
    ..Overall it really fell short as a pilsner,more of a pale ale or even an ipa. It was good but didn't seem to be what I expected[​IMG]

Premo88, FFFjunkie, bret717 and 30 others like this.
  30. kemoarps

kemoarps Meyvn (1,278) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

So I was up at Chuck's, right? This is a little while back. But not too far. OK, maybe a little further than it should, but that's just the way this story goes, yeah? So anyway, I was up at Chuck's right, and was soliciting suggestions from the dude behind the counter (because I'm indecisive always, and as annoying as it may be, will often try and pick the brains of the folks who have a deeper knowledge than myself, if they seem to have the time). I narrowed it down to a couple of thoughts and asked him if he had any insight into them/preferences/etc. He nods thoughtfully and tells me I should definitely give the Radio Face a shot. Cool. Haven't had it before. His buddy behind the counter slips by behind him in passing and shakes his head. Keg just blew. Too bad. We're discussing backup plans when buddy comes pops back up and hands me a blank crowler. Says that's all he's got left and I should just take it, since I didn't get to try it on tap. Hell yeah I'll take it. Free beer is always appreciated. So now here we are.

Radio Face from Standard Brewing. Never stopped in there, but I walk by every couple of weeks or so. May have to rectify that one of these days.

[​IMG]

Pour comes in as a murky amber colour that is definitely murky/dirty, not that colloidal crazy of the day. Derrty, in the parlance of Mr. Haynes. Finger or so of foamy white. Nice white cuff/collar after settling. Moderate- lacing to mark the passage of time.

Nose is initially a muddled mix of earthy hops, grainy malts, and vinous verdance (once again from the hops, if anyone was seriously confused). With the passage of time, the flavour becomes a little more focused, but less so the aroma.

Speaking of that flavour... First impressions are of and old old old school IPA with a stark contrast of grainy malts and earthy hops honing in to a pine bitterness. First impressions cane deceive, but they can also reveal an unprejudiced honesty of impression as well. That was a fun way to say nothing. Warming and further exploration does not necessarily CHANGE this first impression, but it does flesh out the details: it finds depth and a breadth in the broad archetypes described above. Earthy as a character arc. Pine bitterness as a finale/destination. Grainy malt backbone. But emerging from this high contrast black and white xerox of so much is a mosaic of texture and character. This is no longer cel shaded, it gains a dimensionality and depth previously elusive. Earthy notes begin to evoke specific memories and analogues: specifically there is a floral sweet veneer polished over the rough edges that make me think of specific garnishes and herb garden: nasturtiums without the spicy kick, cantaloupe orange with all the sugar stripped out, basil minus the basil-ness. Comes to a blunt point of sappy pine bitterness which carries through to the end.

There's a lot of little floaties leftover here from what I'm assuming is late hop additions?

[​IMG]
    (this picture doesn't even do it justice... as usual)

My dad always said I had the perfect face for radio (when I was a kid, I thought it would be cool to be a radio host [listened to way too much sports radio as a little kid]. My dad thought he was funny.). I don't think my dad would enjoy this one much as he's pretty much turned away from hops and bitterness in general in beer as he's gotten older. As for myself... yeh. It's alright. Glad to have tried it, but not one that would cause my eyes to light up if I saw it on the list somewhere. Maybe if I'd gotten to try it fresh on tap as opposed to out of the can my thoughts would have been different, but reasonably speaking, likely not. And there's nothing wrong with that. A decent old school IPA from a local brewery that looks to be a pretty promising space, that may prove to be convenient for me to visit from time to time? That sounds like a totally reasonable combination.

31. CanConPhilly

Premium Trader

New beer #3. Wow!

Game Over (Black and Blue) - Barrel Culture
    Sour ale aged in wine barrels - 5.5% abv
    Score: 4.56 (+0.9% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - beer explodes out of the bottle before the cap is even fully off. Massive fizzy head atop a translucent maroon body.

S - raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, wine, oak, vanilla.

T - highly acidic and tart mixed berries. Quite puckering. Wine barrel is very present mid-taste. Oaky finish. Low bitterness. Low sweetness. Low booziness.

F - medium-light body with very high carb.

O - a delicious brew. Just be ready for the acidity, if you have issues with acid.

32. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,654) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: An American Amber/Red Lager

Afternoon NBSers with an alert for fans of Amber/Red Lagers or who’d like to have some of the proceeds from their beer buying help to support the Folds of Honor Foundation. This is a Foundation that provides scholarships to the wives and children of disabled or fallen veterans.

This afternoon’s new beer is the Budweiser Freedom Reserve.

As usual, my review, subject to revision until I finish the beer, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/user/beers/?ba=drtth

The aromas/flavors of this beer definitely include some light molasses along with the malt. There’s also some sweetness here that is showcased against a background with a touch of nutty character and a bit of semi-dry earthy, spicy bitterness. While not intense these flavors and aromas are firmly there and help to create an easy drinking beer that I’ll probably have a few more of while it is still available.

Cheers, all!

Premo88, FFFjunkie, bret717 and 31 others like this.
  33. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Savant (933) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Sierra Nevada summerfest 2018 lager
    ...about a medium body
    . Aroma was a light lemony scent followed by some grain and a little bit of malt
    ..Taste was similar, mildly bitter but that seemed to be what dominated
    ..Overall it was okay, the mild bitterness dominated and it felt like it might have tasted better if it allowed the grain and malt to show up more[​IMG]

34. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,258) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Premium Trader

Good afternoon NBS, starting my day with some coffee. Enjoying some Central Waters Peruvian Morning thanks to @FlintB!

4.31/5 rDev +3.6%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thank you FlintB for this
    12 oz bottle, 2018, poured into a mug

A- Black with a small mocha head.

S- Coffee, some bourbon, chocolate, touch of caramel malts.

T- Rich roasted coffee, dark chocolate, some bourbon, dark chocolate, hints of dark fruits.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A very tasty coffee stout, definitely focused on the coffee, worth seeking out.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!!!!

35. kemoarps

kemoarps Meyvn (1,278) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

As a night shifter for life: welcome! Blackout curtains are your friend, and yes they really do make that much of a difference. White noise background can help too if your household or immediate surroundings tend to be particularly.... lively during the daywalking hours. It's amazing how different a character places take at 0300 vs 1500. Anyway, hope night shifting works out as well for you as it has for me.

And on that note, forgive me, but I should probably head to bed. Cheers!

36. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (4,606) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire

Wow! There are a of beers on display today that I have not heard of - so that means I have not tried them either. I live in New Hampshire where the weather has been perfect and will continue to be so for the next few days. Sunny, no humidity, 70 degrees! I took a drive out to one of my favorite quiet spots called Riley's Pond in East Concord, NH and listened to the chorus of frogs burping around the lily pads.

So I am burping thanks to a fairly new beer from the von Trapp Brewery in Vermont. Yes, descendants from the "Sound of Music" family. This is their Double IPL, a limited edition released in early Spring, with an 8% ABV. The von Trapp beers can be found around New England and maybe into New York State. Of that I'm note entirely sure. So some members might have heard of this unlike all the beers I hadn't heard of as I scrolled through the postings. Average looking light amber but bold pine sensations greet the nose as well as a white bread sweetness. The taste is about the same with a lingering bitter finale. The body is smooth and better than medium. I bought the four pack for $9.99.

[​IMG]
    At Riley's Pond, East Concord, NH.
    [​IMG]

Premo88, FFFjunkie, bret717 and 32 others like this.
  37. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,181) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Premium Trader

Isn’t there a Fight Club sort of rule that one never speaks of the yips? Maybe that only applies to speaking of others...

Premo88 and lordofthewiens like this.
  38. ONUMello

ONUMello Poo-Bah (2,383) Feb 24, 2009 Ohio
    Premium Trader

I have to work nights about one week a year. I've never had a problem with switching my sleep and always have found a brew when I get home helps me sleep well during the day. I just got back from a fantastic trip to Norway and had no problem sleeping (albeit during normal overnight hours) with the 24/7 midnight sun out.
    As far as sports... I'm trying not to think about them for a bit. Ohio is a great beer state but other than our 2016 upset (and yes Lebron is still great) our professional teams could all use a bit of help. Particularly the Columbus Crew to keep them where they belong.
    That being said let's get to the beer! I have nothing going on today and quite a few beers that are begging to be opened so this should be post one of several on today's NBS thread
    [​IMG]
    MXD FRM = mixed fermentation. There's a lengthy description on the label but I didn't get any useful information from it... that being said the beer is quite tasty and well made with a nice mix of citrus, berries, yeast/malt/herbs on both the aromas and palate. Light, tart and complex. My review 4.16 just a bit above average. It's tough to find anything Jackie O's doesn't do well and this being their house sour base I'm very much looking to try a few of the barrel aged variations the've come up with

39. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,181) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Premium Trader

Picked this up a few weeks ago. Looked exciting enough.

[​IMG]

4.13/5 rDev -5.5%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Doesn’t look any different than any other RIS I’ve had, as the pitch black beer produced a short lived dark copper head. Nose starts up with carob, caramel and vanilla but ends abruptly with what, sassafras? Wish that I could have realized more depth before the sassafras overwhelmed. Taste starts off with the sassafras (have I said sassafras enough yet?) but finds its way to to a silky European chocolatey vanilla, finishing with the boozy side. Probably mostly a heat factor as by the time I get to the barrel its just an alcohol taste. Never got anything coffee-like out of it though. I think they really nailed the feel though, as its got a real Goldilocks balance.

40. CanConPhilly

Premium Trader

New beer #4. Thanks @thebeers !

Hipster Catnip - La Cabra
    IPA - 7.2% abv

[​IMG]

L - 2-finger fluffy white head atop a translucent yellow body.

S - herb, grapefruit, lemon, candy.

T - grapefruit, dough, pine, vegetal hops, cotton candy. Smooth middle. Mild bitterness, moderate-low sweetness, low booziness.

F - medium-light body with medium carb.

O - a very easy drinking, well balanced ipa.

strohme2, Premo88, FFFjunkie and 27 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.