New Beer Sunday (Week 696)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,239) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Last weekend five of my six children came to celebrate my retirement (which becomes official on June 30), and it got me thinking about being a parent. What does it take to be a good parent? How is that measured? I became a father at a fairly young age (20), and knew nothing about raising babies. Hell, I was still a kid. I thought, maybe naively, that if I raised my child with love and was a good role model, then that child would be a good adult. As a pediatrician for forty years, I’ve seen many, many styles of parenting, and I’ve come to the conclusion that there is no “correct” style. My simple-minded approach, when I first became a father, seems apropos. Love your child and be someone they can admire.

I can say that all of my children have become wonderful adults, sometimes in a circuitous fashion. Four finished college, two have advanced degrees. Two made it through high school and felt that was enough. They live scattered across the country and I always look forward to seeing them. I am very proud to call them my children.

This being New Beer Sunday, it is time for you to try a new beer. Perhaps you could do it with your child. How does the beer look? What is the aroma? Do you like the taste? How does it feel in your mouth? Finally, what is your overall impression? Enjoy the day!

LeRose, Danmullens1, dcotom and 47 others like this.
  2. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Cheers you all and thanks @lordofthewiens for getting us started this morning. Happy retirement Doc! Being a good parent means teaching morality and showing your flawed human side while maintaining some kind of authority. Years after I had declared my parents the most oppressive and large pains the keester, I began to realize their not so subtle wisdom. My parents did not follow the trends and were what you might call "squares." The one thing they never did was talk down to me and I remember the grave look of concern on my mother's face one day after a bad day with peers at school as she said "If only you were a better liar." They supported everything I did and while I got the distinct impression they were waiting for me to commit some act of brilliance that made all their effort worthwhile, they were slow to criticize. When they did, they were honest and when we argued we yelled at one another. We spent lots of time laughing too. So much time that I can still hear that laughter even though both my parents are dead. I still uphold all the traditions that they held dear like cooking for a crowd on Sunday!

[​IMG]

Happy Managia It's Maduro Sunday!

[​IMG]

Today I have Maduro from Cigar City Brewing. Cigar City is making a nice showing in my local Wegman's lately. I am happy to say that I finally got a chance to try this beer. Maduro pours an elegant dark brown with ruby highlights. Tan frothy head that falls luxuriously. Nose is sumptuous with roasty malt. Nothing too burnt and a delicious stripe of caramel. The light presence of just sweet cocoa and a sweet breath from hop herbal. The beer is very fresh as it was canned on 5/21 and those delicate hop scents really make the nose for me. It does not have too much dark fruit aromas from malt and I like it because that allows a nice moment of mild coffee to come through. The malt is just bitter raost but does not show any char . Perfectly done toast. Drinks just like the nose with a crisp bubble to keep it light. This beer has a lovely moment of silk in the moderately dry finish and a light hop bitter that stays on the tongue to show you all that malty fullness. it stoips just short of chewy. The fact that it is just sweet made it the perfect companion to the meal I planned for it. Chipoltle Chocolate Babyback Ribs and Spanish Rice. At 5.5 percent this one would be considered a Northern English Brown. The flavors are a bit like the stout but the body of the beer is light enough so that it tantalizes but remains in the brown ale category. The caramel does not take over the palate and as the beer warms it becomes more sensual witha bit of nutty flavor. So easy to drink I had four of them before I realized it and came back for more today.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

LeRose, dcotom, Ocalafox and 52 others like this.
  3. flaskman

flaskman Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2015 New York

Congratulations on your retirement!!! Enjoy every second of it.

4. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: A Gose

Mornin’ NBSers with a summer morning selection well suited for Gose fans. Also, a special thanks to today’s host, @lordofthewiens, with best wishes for your next round of golf in New Mexico.

Fatherhood? So far I like to think my score is good. When you are new to it you are bound to make a mistake or two (or three, or four,....) that you later regret. But as long as you continue to score a few wins along the way.... What eventually counts I suppose is the long run when one can look back and say, as our host is able to say, "They are good, decent people who respect others and treat others as they themselves would like to be treated." (An idea that seems to me to be a basic part of simple humanity and not something unique to any particular religion.)

Today’s weather is expected to be partly cloudy and humid with a high near 85 (with a "feels like" of 90) and a possible occasional thunderstorm. (Seems like a good day to start off with a bright, crisp and refreshing beer.:wink:)

This morning's new beer is the Citrus Jammer from Sixpoint.

As usual my review, subject to revision until the beer is finished, can be found here.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10607/321163/?ba=drtth#review

Not surprisingly, given the name, it’s the citrus in this beer that’s the star of the show here. In addition to the definite lemon-lime and a bit of tartness, there’s salt and some grainy sweetness. There’s also a touch of spicy bitterness in the dry ending. While I haven’t tried them side-by-side, my current bottom line on this beer is that I think I like it better than the regular Jammer and will be having this one again fairly soon.

As a final thought I've got to say here that I might have been biased in reviewing this beer as I expected up front that I'd enjoy it. My first Sixpoint beer was called Bengali Tiger and something I had on tap before it was available in cans (and before it was reformulated to become simply Bengali). Since then I've had 15 or so Sixpoint beers and enjoyed all of them enough that Sixpoint is on my list of trusted breweries and I'll now buy and try a new one without any second thoughts.

So here's also a special thanks to @Sixpoint and his "Mad Scientists" for their record of and commitment to quality!

Cheers, all!

#4 drtth, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    LeRose, dcotom, aoampm and 37 others like this.
  5. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,632) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy New Catch-Up Beer Sunday (Week 696)!

No children that I know of, but plenty of beer to drink, review & rate this Sunday! I recently realized that I have entirely too much beer (yes, that is a real thing) & too much stuff & so I am working to winnow as much of it down as possible.

I was at a friend's house near KofP last Saturday for his monthly bottle & CAN share & I brought along both a Yards Brawler & a Great Divide Titan IPA tacker that now adorn his patio wall. I have found a PA Fish & Game Commission tacker that will go up next month + he put me onto Flanigan's Boat House & Below Decks Bottle Shop in Conshohocken that will be getting some of my Navy memorabilia for display. Being a bit of a hoarder, it feels nice to see some of this stuff go to new homes.

I am beginning the day with:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/47860/353624/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    dedicated to @utopiajane as I play Velvet Underground's "Sweet Jane" but I really wanted to have ended the day yesterday with it as a part of my color-coded drinking. I had some recent difficulties getting pics approved, so I bought a light, light stand & white camera umbrella (no boostin' yo!) & I am getting some quality results. I awaited the pic's approval before Crack!ing open the CAN.

Well, that starts the day! I'll keep yinz updated as it progresses.

2beerdogs, LeRose, bl00 and 38 others like this.
  6. utopiajane

Woody! I have started to say "yinz" and it's all because of you. :sunglasses:

bl00, dcotom, TongoRad and 4 others like this.
  7. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,810) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Thanks for the kickoff Doc, and congrats on the upcoming retirement...you’re going to love it!

My new beer I saved from my meet up with @SawDog505 a couple of weeks ago - Breakaway Beerworks at Great Northern Aleworks, Manchester, NH - “RISE” a DIPA:

The pour at 58 degrees renders a voluminous rocky white head atop a deep gold (6+) liquid exhibiting excellent clarity; moderately heavy lacing; long lasting cap reduces to solid ring with clingy lace; some specs of suspended particles on the second pour when the 16oz can is emptied. 4.75

Grapefruit, lemon nose; green grassy hops right behind. 4.25

Bitter grapefruit rind, Meyers lemon bitter hops with a touch of white pepper; clean malt base provides the platform for the juicy hop flavors. 4.25

Moderate carbonation; medium lite feel; crisp and clean; no astringency. 4.25

Overall, really enjoyable! Tasty citrus peel bitter linger is long lasting; liquid is lite and no hint of the 8% - a totally poundable DIPA. I would happily drink again, and heartily recommend to those who like light feeling citrus leaning flavorful IPAs - Thanks for another winner, Tim, I liked this beer a lot. Cheers y’all!

2beerdogs, LeRose, dcotom and 34 others like this.
  8. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,632) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

It's a Pixburgh thing! I worked long & hard, 'n' 'at, to develop my accent. It marks me, (& others) as "a Yinzer". Pixburgh sports fan since 1974 (9 y/o) & Pitt alumnus (B.A. EngLit '02 & MAT (English) '03)! Pixburgh may be becoming Silicon Valley (East), but for those of us who still remember th' still mills, 'n' 'at, a Pixburghese accent is the only way to go! Our next Lt.Gov. is the current mayor of Braddock. I only go to PHL for their beer.

2beerdogs, dcotom, MacMalt and 6 others like this.
  9. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,952) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Thanks to @lordofthewiens for the great start to NBS this week. Hopefully I can find something new at the shop today.

Cheers!

MacMalt, larryi86, beergoot and 4 others like this.
  10. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,380) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Amen. Golden statement, that is. :wink:

2beerdogs, TongoRad, EMH73 and 5 others like this.
  11. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

Starting early for me today. NBS beer #1 is this BBA imperial stout.

[​IMG]

Dark Apparition - Bourbon Barrel Aged

Jackie O's Pub & Brewery
    Russian Imperial Stout / 11.50% ABV

4.21/5 rDev -3% | Score: 4.34
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

L- The beer pours black with a thin half centimeter mocha head. The head recedes quickly to a thin ring leaving no lacing.
    S- The nose is dark chocolate with bourbon washing over and receding to reveal the chocolate once again.
    T- Like the nose the chocolate is first out to the box. Mid palate the bourbon arrives in full force. As the bourbon recedes you are left with a touch of lingering brown sugar sweetness and vanilla from the oak.
    F- The mouthfeel is on the lighter side for a stout, but it still posseses a slickness which coats the tongue. Carbonation is quite light which helps mask the thinness.
    O- Not perfect example of the style, but the flavors and complexity really elevate this brew to must try. Recommended.

12. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,762) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Family all together for a bridal shower

Treehouse In Perpetuity
    4.56/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

“Standing on the moon but I’d rather be with you”

Canned 6.19.18 poured on 6.20.18

Soft hazy orange liquid , two finger white foam cap , sticky , sticky lacings

Fragrant pour of citrus, tropical fruits and a whiff of pine

Citrus hop taste , hop nibble

Good sudsing , smooth mouthfeel, hop taste lingers

Good beer

2beerdogs, LeRose, bl00 and 29 others like this.
  13. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,239) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Today's new beer is Barrel aged Righteous Ale from Sixpoint. It was aged in rye whiskey and bourbon barrels, was canned 7MAR18, and has an ABV of 10.50%.
    In my pint glass the beer was a pretty red/brown color. There was a moderate tan head.
    Aroma of caramel, vanilla, and alcohol. Some late tickle your nose pepper/spice.
    Rich caramel and toffee taste. Vanilla and whiskey. I couldn't appreciate the bourbon.
    Very smooth and easily drinkable. Be aware of the ABV.

[​IMG]

2beerdogs, LeRose, dcotom and 33 others like this.
  14. utopiajane

Cheers you all and Happy Two Beer Sunday. I had two parents so today I am doing two beers. I could say that my parents drove me to drink but then I would be half a liar as it really was my son that did that. OK! In food and beer pairing I aspire to be able to pair multiple beers with the same meal. Today I am going with the same type of flavors but form a lower abv to a higher abv. That higher abv should expand on the flavors. For instance upon seating I would ply my guests with appetizers and the Maduro and then mid meal I would serve the higher abv beer that I would like to tell you about now. This is Crooked Stave's Coffee Baltic Porter. These two beers are perfect compliments to each other in my opinion. For desert I served chocolate covered strawberries. "Siddown. Yinz are gonna love this!" @woodychandler

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Pours an opaque and burnt walnut brown with a creamy head of mocha foam that stands a long time but pops and fizzes as it falls. Nose is sensational with coffee and berry like fruit. A roasty burnt edge comes to the forefront slowly to reveal smooth cocoa. Char but not ashes sweetened by caramel. Bold unsweetened espresso coffee. Bubbly creamy and smooth. Moderate carbonation. finishes with just a light sensation of warmth form the abv. Shimmering sheets of lace that fall away to spots captivate for the entire glass as the beer refreshes on each tip. Rich bread as it warms and dark fruit flavors from malt.

There is an old expression . Where there's one, there's two. My parents used it to explain quite a bit.

2beerdogs, LeRose, dcotom and 31 others like this.
  15. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,117) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Grimbetgen double ambree
    ..pours a very dark ruby color
    ..about a medium body with above average fuzzy sort of carbonation
    ...aroma is malt,plums,dried fruit, and a candy sweet smell
    ..taste is very similarvery sweet but with a lingering bitterness that shows up in the finish
    ...Overall it's a bit sweet and malty but the plum flavor made it very enjoyable[​IMG]

16. drtth

Hmm, time to find a can....

17. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,691) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

A-Pours a very nice dark color with a nice tan head and lacing
    A-Aroma has abundant coffee, chocolate and roast notes
    T-The taste follows the nose with nicely balanced coffee, chocolate and roast flavors
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A very well balanced beer

LeRose, dcotom, Psilo and 31 others like this.
  18. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy Sunday, NBS crew! I made my monthly pilgrimadge up to Other Half on Thursday. Not only did I get to pick up their latest cans, but I’ve established a strong trading connection with a guy that goes to all of the releases. He saves me one can of each Other Half release, and I save him one of each Tired Hands release. The can below is one of the cans I received from him. To avoid a stern look from @cjgiant , I will avoid hyperbole and just say I really, really like this brew. A whole lot. Like, crushing on it a lot. Ok I’ll stop. Sorry Craig!

DDH Space Dream - Other Half
    IPA - 6% abv
    Canned 6/6/18 (18 days ago)
    Score: 4.5 (+5.6% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - 1.5 finger low-density offwhite head atop an incredibly sludgy yellow body.

S - you smell this thing from a mile away. Pineapple, papaya, melon, grapefruit, sour lemon, pine.

T - intense fruit flavors. Getting lots of grapefruit and melon. Slightly sour middle, but it comes off pleasantly, like a splash of lemon-lime mixer. Mild bitterness. No sweetness. No booziness.

F - super thick, luxuriously creamy body. I’ve never given a 5 for body before, but this is a 5.

O - I’m up to about 50 Other Half brews. This is in the top 5. It’s not just another OH IPA. The uniquely full, creamy body and gloriously pungent nose make this one stand out.

2beerdogs, LeRose, bl00 and 37 others like this.
  19. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (2,318) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

First off congrats to @lordofthewiens. Secondly my apologies for the recycled photo, I have a nasty habit of leaving my cell phone in my car and then one of the kids takes it. Off to a wedding in about an hour so it's one and done for me here today. Revisiting Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout after probably 10 years, so a new review on BA. Pours black with a thin tan head that leaves little lacing. Smells of chocolate and malts. Tastes of semi-sweet, chocolate, sweet roasted malts, vanilla, cream and a hint of coffee. Full bodied, lightly carbonated, creamy mouth feel with a slightly bitter after taste. Another excellent beer from Samuel Smiths. Have a great day all, cheers!

20. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

I’ve got the Jammer barrel-aged variants lined up for later today, but I have my doubts that they will top the original. Citrus Jammer is so solid, and I agree with you that it’s (slightly) superior to the original Jammer.

21. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,513) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Thanks @lordofthewiens for kicking off the thread, and congrats on the pending retirement. I can't sit down with my kids and have a beer (yet) since they are all under 13 years of age, but they love to smell them and try to figure out what's in it. To be honest, they are pretty darn good at it. Today's new beer is Doubting Thomas from Jopen. This is an imperial quad.

Poured from fridge temp. Pours a nice dark brown with tan head. The nose is really nice. I'm getting a lot of dark fruit - cherries, plums, grapes, and figs. There is a really nice caramel note, along with some maple. Definitely getting some yeast, bread, and prunes. Kind of like raisin bread. Taste doesn't align perfectly with the nose, which was a tad disappointing. The initial bitterness is a bit odd. Getting lots of raisin, some pine, toffee, candy, and a touch of soy sauce and metallic flavor. The alcohol (10%) is detectable for sure. Mouthfeel is warming and viscous, but the overall balance is a bit off. I probably wouldn't buy this again given the great selection of quads out there.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

[​IMG]

22. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (79) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

Congratulations on a well earned retirement! And Congratulations a 2nd time on raising a well adjusted family! Raising kids??? A lot of it is learn as you go. I like to think that a child raised in a warm loving supportive family will seek a mate and create a similar environment for their own family. Too bad they don't arrive with instructions and warning labels!

23. yuenglingfan101

yuenglingfan101 Crusader (728) Jul 7, 2010 Ohio

mocha marlin coffee and chocolate enough said

MacMalt, thebeers, larryi86 and 2 others like this.
  24. drtth

Not for those of us who haven't tried it. The point of NBS is to share your impressions of your new beer with us. What are the flavors and aromas like? What did you like best about it? Was their anything that didn't quite work (e.g., the head was weak, etc.)?

#24 drtth, Jun 24, 2018
    kemoarps, 2beerdogs, LeRose and 8 others like this.
  25. VABA

Society

[​IMG]

A-Pours a very nice sunny golden color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has generous amounts of sage and lemongrass hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with pleasant sage and lemongrass flavors
    M-A light bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A very refreshing summer beer

LeRose, dcotom, Ocalafox and 29 others like this.
  26. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,612) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Excellent intro essay on growing and learning this morning!

I'm the oldest of seven children and do not have kids (heck didn't get married until I was 41). I also grew up with conflicting impressions and feelings about my parents and, ultimately, came to realize their sense of fairness, love and humanness in raising three boys and four girls, over half of which weren't planned for and other economic circumstances that they gave up in order to live the lives they wanted and raise their family the best they could.

As the first born, one could call me the "experimental" child as my parents learned the skills of parenting. The difference between what my youngest sister and I could do and get away were pretty different, but then the personalities and experiences were different to. And as I grew older, I came to understand and appreciate how much love and freedom all six of my younger brothers and sisters actually had with our parents.

Perhaps the biggest compliment I gave my parent's was telling them that I took and applied their parenting skills to how I managed my airmen (and soldiers, Marines, and sailors during my two joint duty assignments) as a growing USAF NCO. In essence, it was to understand that everyone is an individual with unique strengths and weaknesses, and that I (as a leader, aka pseudo parent figure), to be most effective, was to offer guidance as needed, to not forbid a different way of doing things as long as the target result was met, and to apply discipline only in extreme cases where all else failed. In other words, treat others as I would want to be treated and how my mom and dad raised me. I think my folks got a kick out of that my "management" philosophy...

2beerdogs, LeRose, dcotom and 27 others like this.
  27. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Happy NBS! It is a relaxing day as I had to work yesterday. We are also excited because the Kayaks we ordered on Memorial weekend should arrive at the store for pick up. Can't wait to get out and start paddling with the family.

My first offering is from Casey. Blackberry whiskey Sour pours a dark burnt purple fizzy 2 finger dirty white head. Head slowly fizzes and leaves a cap webbed lacing on my glass. Sour blackberries, cherries, and green plum. Some stonefruit and oak with hints of whiskey. Funk is minimal. Plenty of tart berry notes - cherry, raspberry, blackberry - and some green plum. Good amount of sour, oak and lightly funky. Faint notes of the whiskey. Well carbonated, crisp, clean, refreshing, nicely sour.

[​IMG]

2beerdogs, LeRose, bl00 and 31 others like this.
  28. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,117) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Magnify yertle
    ..pours a motor black
    ....body is way above averag,thick oily coat the tongue type of feel. Low carbonation
    ...aroma is malt,pecan,chocolate and a toffee/alcohol/candy type of smell
    ...taste is pecan chocolate candy. As it warms the coffee comes out and it becimes more complex overall
    ...overall this is much better as it warms and the flavors come through much better. I was gifted a can but would look for this again[​IMG]

2beerdogs, LeRose, bl00 and 29 others like this.
  29. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,612) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Moving on to a DIPA for this morning...

This is a spicy, peppery, rather heavy beer, flavorful and zesty. This should be a nice lead-in to the Thomas Jefferson Hour on the radio at noon...

LeRose, dcotom, bret717 and 21 others like this.
  30. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

New beer #2. Just added this Philly local to the DB, so first review.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Select Start - Evil Genius
    DIPA - 8.7% abv
    Purchased for $20/4 at Evil Genius
    Canned 6/6/18 (18 days ago)
    Score: 3.79 (0% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - 2-finger fluffy bright white head atop a translucent yellow body.

S - herbal. Dank orange, melon, pine, dirt.

T - Very dank. One of the more weed-forward beers I’ve ever tasted. Some grapefruit and pine. Earthy middle. Low bitterness. Low sweetness. Moderate booziness.

F - medium body with average carb.

O - the Hemperor has nothing on this green machine.

2beerdogs, LeRose, bl00 and 33 others like this.
  31. cjgiant

Society

Haha - they can't all be winners. Nice little sharing setup you've got going, all the better to produce more challengers each month.

Premo88 and CanConPhilly like this.
  32. VABA

Society

[​IMG]
    A-Pours a nice golden color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has light grain hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with light grain flavors
    M-A light bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A light refreshing summer beer

LeRose, EMH73, Ocalafox and 26 others like this.
  33. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,491) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBS!!! I have loved spending the last 10 days outside of Delaware and really enjoyed my time out of state and the country, but it is nice too finally just be able to home and relax after driving over 1100 miles round trip. I was able to grab some nice new beers in Montreal, but drank most of them in Canada. On the way back we spend a day in Burlington Vermont and picked up some great beers there. First new beer is Foam Pavement, an excellent DIPA, almost reminds of Alien Church as a DIPA.

4.51/5 rDev +2.3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can, dated 6/21/18, poured into a teku

A- A hazy golden straw with a small white head

S- Mangoes, citrus, lime zest, a little dank, passion fruit and some melons, very well balanced.

T- Mangoes, tropical fruits, limes, citrus, dank/piney finish, bright and somewhat abrasive hops.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A great DIPA, very easy to drink. Well balanced, easy to drink. Highly recommend.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers NBS!!

2beerdogs, LeRose, EMH73 and 33 others like this.
  34. VABA

Society

[​IMG]
    A-Pours a very dark color with slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has roasty hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a roasty flavor
    M-A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
    O-A decent take on the porter style

LeRose, EMH73, russpowell and 27 others like this.
  35. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,580) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

While this does have the typical tropical/citrus notes, it's not quite as sweet and juicy as most NEIPAs, which is good thing in my opinion. Rather, it has a rather dry, herbal, dank character with a pleasant, slightly acidic herbal hop burn aftertaste. Almost like a cross between a Brut and New England IPA.

Pours a hazy peach coloration with a small, fizzy head. Smell is dank and herbal, with strong tropical and light citrus notes of mango, passion fruit, pineapple, grapefruit and tangerine. Taste is quite bright and hoppy, with light biscuity malt. Tropical fruit and green notes dominate, with lighter citrus notes as well: mango, passion fruit, pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine and pine. A light dankness in the background, with a much stronger grassy, herbal presence as well. Finishes quite dry, with a very light bitterness, mild hop burn and a rather green aftertaste. Soft mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

2beerdogs, LeRose, EMH73 and 27 others like this.
  36. drtth

New Beer Sunday: A Witbier

Afternoon NBSers with an alert for fans of Witbiers with a twist (pun intended :wink:).

This afternoon’s new beer is the Ommegang Fruition.

As usual, my review, subject to revision until I finish the beer, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/42/243140/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors are both fruity and spicy but i thought the flavor profile was more complex than revealed by the nose. In addition to the contribution from the wheat, the malt sweetness is well blended with the coriander and white pepper. There’s some citric zest there and there are touches of tropical fruits that include some Kiwi fruit which seems to be contributing just a bit of tartness to the flavor profile. While I enjoyed trying this beer and would definitely be willing to have it again, it hasn’t quite won me away from the more traditional Witbiers such as the Allagash White that I usually seek out.

Cheers, all!

2beerdogs, aoampm, LeRose and 28 others like this.
  37. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

After an 11.5% stout to start the day, I'm going with something at the other end of the spectrum for NBS #2. This one is actually an accidental pickup as I'd asked for a different beer and was surprised to find this one in the bag instead of the requested Yanni and Laurel. Live and learn I guess.

[​IMG]

Strawberry Rhubarb Popsicle

The Answer Brewpub
    Gose / 3.50% ABV

4.03/5 rDev -4.7% | Score: 4.23
    look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Crowler filled 06/12/18

L-The beer pours a cloudy pinkish with a minimal head. Unsurprisingly no lacing is present. There are lots of floaties.
    S- The nose is sweet natural strawberry. Lives up to it's name.
    T- On the palate the beer is a little bit more complex. There is less sweetness than the nose. The beer is actually pleasantly tart from a combination of the rhubarb and strawberres. I even get a bit of salinity in the finish which was honestly surprising given how sweet the nose was. There really is a gose under all that fruit.
    F-Mouthfeel is light overall with a not quite puckering dry finish. Carbonation is light almost to the point of being flat after the initial pour.
    O- Honesty in advertising. Just don't expect it to taste like a traditional beer. I'd have no problem serving it to non beer drinkers. Maybe a touch flatter than I'd like, but overall it's flavorful. I like it. Recommended for fruit beer and sour fans.

2beerdogs, aoampm, LeRose and 32 others like this.
  38. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

First up is the very tasty Veil offering, Umm Yeah

[​IMG]

4.35/5 rDev -0.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not as hazy as a typical Veil beer, this slightly hazy beer is giving off candied, spicy orange zest backed up by an earthy veggie thing. Taste really mirrors the zest thing but add to it floral hints with a heavy, bitter, dry feel and finish. Alcohol is there throughout but becomes more present in the the dry, bitter aftertaste. Could easily become my favorite Veil beer.

2beerdogs, aoampm, LeRose and 29 others like this.
  39. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

This was an interesting find in that I got more than I was expecting . . .

[​IMG]

Hazy lighter shade of gold color with bountiful cap and lacing.

Aroma of sweet malt and floral hops tinged with tropical fruits.

Flavor on entry leans toward the hops which are sharper and less fruity than the scent implies. It's a richer sort of piquant flavor that dominates but doesn't overwhelm the malt. These flavors stay the same all the way through with the fruit diminishing while the malt builds toward the finish but hops are what carry the show.

Medium texture with balancing carbonation.

If I were into labels, which I'm not, I would call this an IPL rather than a Pilsner but that's just me. As a stand alone beer it's pretty darn good by any standards.

2beerdogs, LeRose, EMH73 and 28 others like this.
  40. cjgiant

Society

Good afternoon, NBS! Time to sit down and actually watch some World Cup - which I haven't been following so much given the game times and a not-so-convenient set of replays to watch.

Yesterday we headed to the Nats game with my parents, but the home team did not pull through. It was a nice afternoon, regardless. I have no kids, and hopefully I will not have to fulfill my job as guardian to my nephews - much more for their sake than mine.

What I do have today is something that is a relatively unique offspring from the brewing minds at Aslin Beer Company. Not in the sense that its one of their many non-Reinheitsgebot beers, and actually sort of the opposite of that. This beer is a style I do not recall seeing from them in the past - at the tap room or in cans. A quick check of the beers listed for the brewer shows no Hefeweizens, including this beer, so i will have to add No Backsies when I record this review.

[​IMG]

I'll be honest - I'm not expecting a great beer, mainly given the beers Aslin usually make fairly well are not your "standard" beers. I'm looking for a more traditional version here, so for a first attempt, I'm thinking decent enough is where my expectations lie. At the Aslin Biergarten near the stadium yesterday, one of the managers did ask specifically if I picked up this beer, so maybe it's something they're proud of and I will be surprised.

Well, the looks are about right. Given Aslin does almost only heavily hazed/cloudy beers, the highly hazed yellow bodied beer is not a surprise. It didn't pour overly thick from the can. The head could be larger, but it's sufficient and stays atop the body as a thick ring connected across the surface by a just-more-than gossamer white film.

Hmmm... the nose seems pretty much right as well. It's not too powerful, but a more wheat-like banana note comes out. It doesn't seem too estery or fruity - which I would take as being more obviously yeast-driven, right or wrong. Pretty much a one-trick pony on the nose, especially early in the drink.

A slightly lighter than hoped-for body, but there is a nice smooth feel to it. The beer rolls over my palate easily, aided by a rolling carbonation that provides just a little bit of a tingle behind the liquid that flows over my tongue.

The flavor, like the other aspects, meet expectations as well. There's a wheaty opening that has just the slightest lean towards a husky bitterness. This is backed by a slightly tart fruit note - I'd maybe go nectarine versus citrus (lemon-orange, maybe), but it's really more of an impression than a distinct note anyhow. The typical hefe banana note comes next - not sweet, but more like a bright yellow banana with the last hints of green at the edges that is a bit firm to the tooth when bitten into. This hits and then slinks to the background as a fairly neutral, slightly grassy balancing note comes in. Maybe just a hint of pepper bite yields the floor to the lingering banana that holds into the aftertaste. The ending has a slight sweetness to it - from the banana flavor mainly. It's not a sugary sweetness, but it's definitely not a drier finish - maybe semi-sweet?

Anyhow, overall, I am a bit impressed here. This is definitely better than expected and fairly true to the traditional styles I have had. I happen to have a couple Braupakt left over, so I might split another of these with the GF and do a side-by-side. Cheers!

#40 cjgiant, Jun 24, 2018
    2beerdogs, aoampm, LeRose and 28 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.