New Beer Sunday (Week 699)

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by cjgiant, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ESHBG

ESHBG Pooh-Bah (2,099) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Our area takes the crown for trucks destroying bridges, I have personally witnessed many events over the years.

Sounds like a tasty Lager, will be on the lookout for it.

kemoarps and JackHorzempa like this.
  2. strohme2

strohme2 Pooh-Bah (1,927) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

2nd new beer today. It’s not in the database and I’m not going to add it, at least right now. Back on the road to west Michigan to the in laws.
    The is Sunstead Helles Bock. [​IMG]
    Poured copper orange and served with just about zero head. The nose is sweet and cereal grains. Bready, sweetness, slightly unripe plums, overall fruity finish. Full body and slick, unfortunately it is flat. A touch of bubbles would do this beer some benefit.

Picked up a 4 pack of a new beer, I’ll be back later today. Cheers all!

kemoarps, utopiajane, Psilo and 26 others like this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yup. Below are some photos of the Rapps Dam Covered Bridge after a truck (which was too high for the bridge) went through it.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kemoarps, utopiajane, LeRose and 8 others like this.
  4. Beersnake

Beersnake Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,330) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Absolutely! I will definitely be visiting this coming year.

kemoarps and Lingenbrau like this.
  5. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

NBS beer #2 is a collaboration between Burial Brewing, Oxbow Brewing, and Maine Malt House

[​IMG]

Beacon Of The Abyss

Burial Beer Co.
    American Pale Lager / 5.00% ABV

3.97/5 rDev +3.9% | Score: 3.82
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L-The beer pours a slightly hazy golden hue. The head is bright white and approximately 1 and a half fingers in height. The head recedes to a thin film leaving spotty lacing.
    S- The nose is very pilsner-esque featuring bready malts and spicy noble hop aromas.
    T- On the palate the beer is best described as clean. There is great balance with the beer coming off neither sweet nor bitter. It's just a very pleasant bready lager with a soft noble hop finish.
    F- Mouthfeel is on the higher side of light probably owing to the wheat addition. Carbonation is medium and prickly. Easy drinking overall and consequently highly sessionable.
    O- A flawlessly executed American pale lager. It hits its target dead center. Recommended for when you want a sessionable beer to share with non craft drinking friends.

Psilo, kemoarps, utopiajane and 26 others like this.
  6. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Grand Pooh-Bah (4,878) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Thanks for sharing about that one. Last time I was in Spain, or Europe for that matter, I was on my honeymoon, and needless to say, I was not hunting craft breweries. And what I found in shops was not very interesting. I love seeing a glimpse of what's happening over there now. Some day I will return...and now I have another reason to hit Galicia.

kemoarps, VABA and Beersnake like this.
  7. gopens44

gopens44 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Good afternoon all. Stopped by The Answer Friday and grabbed “Parole Violation”

[​IMG]

4.35/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dingy, dark, murky orange with a billowing frothy white head that leaves a very sticky, spotty lacing behind. Candy orange nose until a spikey grapefruit bitterness pops up. Tastes terrific, as the sweet orange follows up with the same grapefruit but add in some orange peel as well. Body seems very light and carries zero heat with it.

Psilo, kemoarps, utopiajane and 27 others like this.
  8. gopens44

gopens44 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As someone who spent way too long in transportation management, that kind of stuff just drives me nuts. Note to folks: if you don’t get a commercial transportation and use a regular Garmin instead, these things happen. But it still took the drivers serious lack of judgment to proceed

kemoarps, TongoRad, meefmoff and 3 others like this.
  9. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Grand Pooh-Bah (4,878) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So sad...Where's the "Don't like button? I love old covered bridges. Being in the west, there are very few out this way.

kemoarps likes this.
  10. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Not only a new beer but a new beer sub-style on this new beer Sunday from the same old Brewery Twin Elephant. Watching the Screensaver a 6.7 ABV Brut IPA. TE has brewed many different IPAs in their short history. They have all been good and many have been excellent. This one is one of their best but very unlike any other of their IPAs or any other IPA I have had. It's brewed with Pilsner malt and wheat. It's dry hopped in fermentation and in the bright tank with Mosaic and Amarillo whole cone hops. It pour hazy with a white head. The aroma is mixed fruit. The taste is also fruity. I picked up a lot of lemon but other drinkers at the brewery picked up other fruits like pineapple and orange. The mouthfeel is light. The finish is dry and long lasting. This brew is like a Brut Champagne your mouth feels dry after you finished. Overall I enjoyed this brew and it is so far the best new beer this year.

2beerdogs, Psilo, kemoarps and 23 others like this.
  11. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Grand Pooh-Bah (3,144) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Happy Sunday NBS players. A rather in between day here on the island. Hot and humid with the overcast of pending rain showers. A pretty lazy day here for myself. Some mindless ball games, a little grilling, and plenty of time lounging on the deck.

My first new beer today is Hypgnosis, ipa, from Singlecut. The brew checks in at 5% abv, 72 ibu, and has a 7/3 canning date.

The pour is a hazy vanilla creame color with orange highlights. A foamy white head that disapates rather quickly. The nose is sharp with hops and tropical fruit. The drinking starts on the more subtle side of the hop spectrum and is rather mundane. A very smooth flow and finish. The more I drink the more the soft, fruity, and plush hop notes come on. Decent notes of grapefruit, melon, lemon, and orange. The brew is super crushable with a mixed feel between light, crisp, and creamy. It offers virtually no bitter flavor at all.

Overall, not bad and decent if you enjoy the session ipa. I would have no trouble drinking again but it lacks the wow factor for me. I’m in the high 3’s here at best players.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2beerdogs, Psilo, kemoarps and 30 others like this.
  12. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Grand Pooh-Bah (4,679) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Central waters Peruvian morning
    ..Cola black/brown color
    ..just below average carbonation with the body feeling just a bit thick and heavy. Not a bad feel,just unusuall for this style to me
    ..aroma is fresh,low acid black coffee, malt, mocha candy,
    ..taste is sweet mocha candy up front followed by malt and just a bit of vanilla in the finish
    ..Overall it was sweeter than i expected but still a very good beer. Couldn't have more than one due to the sweetness but it went well with a couple of grilled steaks[​IMG]

13. woodchipper

woodchipper Grand Pooh-Bah (3,321) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Just started to downpour when I opened this outside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can't say that I have had Belma hops before. "Strawberry aroma" might be a stretch, but I do get pineapple, maybe peach.
    As you can see it is hazy gold, medium head.
    Can is dated 10/17, but quite frankly its still pretty good. I can only imagine what it was like fresh.
    That can date kind of took the wind out of this review. On to something else.

14. beergoot

beergoot Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,596) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado

New Belgium Old Aggie...

Pale yellow body; foamy white head. Some fruitiness to the nose; some apple. Barely perceptible malt flavor; green apple notes; nice hop bitterness. Medium light body; fizzy coarseness on the palate; a bit warm; mostly dry finish.

A passable lager although hardly memorable. It seems to lack "malt depth" as per the BA American pale ale description. As of my rating, 2.3% below rDev...

15. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Grand Pooh-Bah (4,679) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lindemans cherry kriek
    ..cherry red color
    ..about a medium body with plenty of almost champagne like carbonation
    ..aroma is straightforward cherrys, had to really try and pick up some scent of malt and cereal
    ...taste is similar to sparkling cherry juice,not too complex. The cherry did taste real,not artifical at all and it wasn't overly sweet. The low abv is probably what keeps it tasting so -juice- like
    ...Overall it's still a very excellent dessert beer,paired well with what else but cherry pie[​IMG]

2beerdogs, Psilo, kemoarps and 25 others like this.
  16. beergoot

beergoot Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,596) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado

It's been a while since I've enjoyed a quadruple beer, but I'm damn satisfied with Transmitter's A4 Quad!

From my BA review of the beer: "Deep mahogany red body topped with a thin yet dense, creamy head; sheets of sticky foam coating the glass. Powerful anise presence in the aroma; some malt sweetness in the background. Rich caramel flavors; spicy with anise and pepper. Heavy body; velvety and lush on the palate; lots of residual sugar presence, leaving a nice combination of dry sweetness to linger long into the finish."

My take was 13.8% above the rDev on this one. All I can say is the anise, body, and overall taste and balance stunned me. It certainly makes for a fine early afternoon ensconced within the hallowed hall of the "Fortress of Solitude" this Sunday...

2beerdogs, kemoarps, Psilo and 25 others like this.
  17. Buck89

Buck89 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,718) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I spied this beer in my local bottle shop yesterday. It was just sitting all by itself in the cooler, surrounded by local cans. This seemed odd and somewhat undignified for a classic Belgian dark ale, so I rescued it for today's NBS!
    [​IMG]

The beer was fairly hazy and muddy with a copper-brown color. A standard pour produced a modest light-tan head that slowly settled and left several splotches. Less foam that I would expect as the carb level was high. Lots of stone fruit on the aroma - mainly plums and dark cherries. Some caramel and sweet malt as well. This was the best part of the beer. As I mentioned, there was bright carbonation consistent with the Belgian style, but the bubbles overshadowed the taste if that makes sense. The fruit was there but it was restrained, allowing the slightly sweet malt to dominate. There were some floral esters from the yeast, but they were also subtle. The overall feel was light due to the high carbonation and the finish was predictably dry. Overall this was a nice dark Belgian, but it left me longing for more. Everything but the carbonation seemed underdone to me. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

2beerdogs, kemoarps, Psilo and 30 others like this.
  18. VABA

VABA Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,131) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society

[​IMG]
    A-Pours a nice lazy amber color with a nice head and lacing
    A-Aroma has abundant rum hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a pleasant rum flavor
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A nice rum flavored beer

19. woemad

woemad Grand Pooh-Bah (5,145) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Greetings, fellow NBSers, and thanks to @cjgiant for getting us underway today,

90° and clear outside, with a high of 95° predicted. After a wishy-washy spring and early summer, weather wise, it seems hot weather has arrived in the Inland Northwest. I'm perfectly fine around 75°, so I'm wishing things had been a bit more gradual getting to this point.

It's been a week of extremes. Monday night I had an asthma attack so severe I had to hit Urgent Care around 11pm. Doing better where breathing is concerned now, but the last couple days has seen an uptick in dental pain. I'm in need of a root canal, but with no dental insurance, I'm probably going to opt for getting the miscreant tooth yanked, instead.

This comes courtesy of my friend T.J., who owns Community Pint, one of the can't miss beer bars in my fair city. He picked it up at the source, I believe. Canned 10 days ago:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29693/270026/?ba=woemad#review
    Pretty sure this is my first exposure to the Loral hop. Judging by this beer, it's a complex one. Things started out like a juicebomb, but midway through things became quite spicey and herbal, finishing rather dry.

Not sure if I'll be back with another. If not, have a great week!

2beerdogs, kemoarps, Psilo and 26 others like this.
  20. MacMalt

MacMalt Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,658) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Happy Sunday, New Beer Samplers and commentators. Thanks, @cjgiant for hosting today. We've just returned home from ten days touring Israel with our daughter and despite almost constant walking around archaeological and religious sites, I need to get back on the elliptical this week. But not before drinking a couple of new beers from the Garden State today.

The first is Free Bully from Bolero Snort. It's a 7.2% American IPA featuring lemon, lime, oats, and sea salt, and hopped with Motueka (a personal favorite) and LemonDrop (new to me). This is neither Bolero's best, nor worst work. It's a bit jumbled and the flavors could blend better. Still, it's a nice enough summer IPA. Here's my full review:

3.78/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Released on 7/12/2018 so 3 days' old. Poured from 16. oz. can into Bolero Snort all purpose glass. It pours a cloudy, golden-orange color with a large, long-lasting, foamy bright white head and a coating of soapy lacing. It's effervescent and many small bubbles are visible in the glass. Its smells include pineapple, lemon, lime, vanilla, bubblegum, and fragrant hops. It's less fruity and more bitter than I anticipated. The first taste is sweetness from the oats followed by subtle melon, lemon, lime and pineapple notes, and a tasty blend of Motueka and LemonDrop hops. They are bitter but not not biting. There is also a distinct taste of sea salt at the finish. As the glass warms, the unique taste of the Motueka hops is more noticeable. It's very smooth and creamy and easy to drink despite its 7.2% ABV. Overall, it's a pleasant summer time IPA. It's not Bolero Snort's best work but certainly not its worst either.

I hope you're all enjoying your new beer(s) today. I'll be back with another shortly.

kemoarps, 2beerdogs, Psilo and 27 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.