New Beer Sunday (Week 727)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Jan 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,380) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Good morning, BAs and welcome to another installment of New Beer Sunday. Luckily this thread can stay up and running now that breweries will be able to distribute new beer again. Ok, there was probably not a dearth of new beers for you Sunday warriors, so NBS probably could've plugged along as it has for over a decade.

After all it is you, the NBS poster, who gives us content about the look, smell, taste, and feel of a beer. It is you who offer up insights into your malted beverage to help others in making their decisions about said beer. It is the NBS reader that chimes in with other useful information when applicable to enrich all of our knowledge. And its the virtual camaraderie of the regulars that makes this thread enjoyable to so many.

So let's keep that goodness going again today. Give us your thoughts on a beer you are just having and analyzing for the first time today. Copy in or link to your review on the beer's official entry in the BA database. Feel free to include what you know about the beer or brewery and/or what happened in your life this week. We'll let you bend our ear for a little bit.

So, how about it, BAs? Don't be shy about your first NBS post, our regulars will likely welcome you with open arms as long as you post in the spirit of the thread - which isn't as hard as it seems. So now it's time to get this joint off the ground; who'll help get us flying into the vast world of new beers out there to try?

2. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,503) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

Poured into a 16 oz snulip glass best [​IMG] before 8/29/19. Pours a very slick near pitch black with a 2 plus finger sticky khaki head that leaves a few thin streaks of lace and that settles a tad quickly. 4

Smell is vanilla, toffee, coffee grounds, cocoa nibs, and a hint of peppery spice. 4

Taste follows vanilla, coffee, and cocoa stand out, some toffee and a little hint of spice and I mean tiny. 4

Mouthfeel is a little bigger than medium, gentle carbonation, a tad dry, and at 9.5% ABV extremely drinkable. 4

Overall this is very nice, I will be honest I wanted more but I appreciate what they did with this one. A little thicker would have have been even better. 4 Heading out to the slopes now. Cheers all.

3. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Dark deep ruby color when held to the light but appears almost black in the hand. Very consistent color from edge to edge with large lasting tan cap and lacing.

A rich yet slightly subdued aroma of dark caramel, roasted malt, lightly spicy as if it were just touched with allspice and dark ripe figs.

Taste is surprising for such a big aroma and appearance. Oh there's plenty of it, make no mistake, yet the restraint with which the different flavors come forth is rather like chamber music from the larger stringed instruments. Resounding but not aggressive. I was pleased to find on entry the flavor of well roasted malt without the bitter edge that such malt often carries. Right behind that followed deep but bright flavors of spiced dark fruit. I don't get clove in the spices, something milder like allspice. Nor banana though there is something that offsets the dark fruits. Hops are in there for all I know but keep a low profile. There is, from beginning to end, a sort of sweetness that doesn't intrude but contributes to the overall complexity.

Full texture with balancing carbonation.

This one shows what I admire in a well crafted brew, a beautiful balance of elements where every voice is heard yet all blend together harmoniously.

4. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: American Pale Ale

Mornin’ NBSers, with an alert for folks in SE PA who are fond of APAs. Also a thanks to @cjgiant for his start up today. There has, indeed, been no noticable dearth around here of new beers to try.

The weather here today is supposed to be sunny with a few clouds and a high in the upper 40’s. This will be nice since about mid week the forecast has an Arctic Blast dropping the temps over Wed night down to single digits with the “feels like” temp below zero.

This morning’s new beer is from a brewery called St. Boniface that is located over in Ephrata, PA. Ephrata is in northern Lancaster County, which is the heart of PA's Amish country so when driving around you have to pay attention to the horse drawn carriages (and sometimes what the horses leave behind as well :wink:).

The name of the beer is Paideia and the brewery says of this beer:

“Paideia for the Greeks meant the development of the perfectly well-rounded citizen. This single-hopped pale ale uses Citra hops and a blend of malts to create a bright aroma and flavor with little bitterness. We think you’ll find our Paideia to be a perfectly well-rounded beer capturing the essence of the Greek ideal.”

I’d originally purchased a six pack of this beer for next week’s Superbowl game, but then decided to try one out today (the store does have another six pack :grin:). So let’s see if the brewers hit their target.

As usual, my review, subject to revision until the beer is finished, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24787/84457/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors contain both lots of caramel and bready malt and lots of fruit flavors from the hops. The fruits from the hops includes some lime, orange, mango and lychee. To my tastes this is indeed an exceptionally well balanced and a very enjoyable beer. All of the flavors/aromas are well integrated and complementary. I’m enjoying this beer, find it drinkable and am forward to having more. If I can regularly find it fresh it could well become part of my regular rotation.

Cheers, all!

#4 drtth, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  5. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,285) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning New BSers! Thanks, @cjgiant, for starting today's thread. Nothing new to report today - Mrs. Lizard and I have begun discussions about this year's upcoming trip destinations - the UP is a top contender again as well as the Columbia River Gorge, Germany (for me), Panama, New England, and maybe New Mexico or California. Decisions, decisions! It goes without saying that we'll hit Texas at least once and probably twice Germany is pretty much a done deal for me - I partake of beer tours with four to seven other people - small, friendly, good conversation, good food, and good beer. In fact beer is part of every vacation now - we hit quilting stuff for Mrs. Lizard and beer destinations for me. I get a lot of sleeping and reading done while Mrs. Lizard is buying quilting stuff - in Texas one time people actually came to the car window and asked me if I was OK and offered me water when I was baking in the car while Mrs. Lizard was shopping. Good people, good times!

Today's New Breakfast beer:

$ 25.49 (Including tax and discount)/22 oz capped and waxed bottle ($ 1.158/oz) from Spec’s # 100, DeZavala, San Antonio, TX. Reviewed 1/27/19.
    “Bottled on 09/14/17” barely visible on the label. On shelf at Spec’s. Stored at 42 degrees and served at 57 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
    Appearance – 4.
    Body – Dark brown/black, opaque. When held to the light, still opaque.
    Head – Large (Maximum 5.7 cm, controlled center pour), brown, medium density, good retention, diminishing to an irregular three to ten mm lacy ring and a rocky partial layer.
    Lacing – Good – Thick, wide bands of tiny to small bubbles with short, stubby stalactites.
    First pour – Brown, opaque.
    Aroma – 4.5 – Strong aroma of cocoa, weakens but survives.
    Flavor – 4.5 – Begins with a rich cocoa and ends with a very slight bitterness. At the end, a woody vanillin ghost appears. No alcohol (11.9% ABV), no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 3.5 – Medium, creamy, soft carbonation.
    Impression and interpretation – 4.5 – While the cost is greater than I’d normally accept, I’m glad I sprang for this bottle. In fact, I wish I’d picked up a couple more. Normally I drink mescal rather than tequila, so the more delicate, non-smoky notes of the tequila cruise beneath my mescal radar. Still, they are contributing to the deliciousness of this brew, mulling the cocoa into a more enticing essence. This is really good.
    Rating 4.37, rDev +1.2%.

Going back through my data base, I found I'd never had the base beer, The Abyss - very odd since I knew what the label looked like. Well, it should be pretty easy to find.

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,878) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I finally found one?

I am referring to a tasty Brut IPA here but I won’t know for sure until the tasting session is completed.

I have had a handful of beers that are labeled as being Brut IPAs but they just tasted like ‘regular’ IPAs to me and frankly they weren’t all that great. Does this mean I do not like the Brut IPA ‘style’? Or maybe these beers I have tried so far are just mediocre attempts at the burgeoning ‘style’?

One might ask: what exactly defines the Brut IPA ‘style’ anyway? This is tough topic to address since none of the beer competition authorities (e.g., Brewers Association, BJCP,…) have formally added Brut IPA to their style guideline documents. BeerAdvocate has added Brut IPA to their beer style list:

“American Brut IPA

One of the newest styles to excite brewers and drinkers alike, Brut IPA first appeared in California in late 2017 and is notable for its effervescence and extreme dryness. Pale straw to pale gold, this style is intended to be lighter in color and body than a typical American IPA. For that reason, the mash is often some combination of Pilsner malt, wheat, corn, and/or rice. The addition of an amylase enzyme reduces the final gravity even further. Bitterness is also kept to a minimum. Fruit-forward flavors and aromas are achieved by late hopping, dry hopping, and the use of neutral ale yeast strains. In short, these beers are highly attenuated, late hopped IPAs inspired by the appearance and mouthfeel of Champagne.

ABV: 6.0–7.5% | IBU: 20–40 | Glassware: Tulip”

From the above it seems to me that the distinguishing features of the Brut IPA ‘style’ are:

· “Extreme dryness”

· “lighter in color and body then a typical American IPA”

· Low/moderate bitterness

· Effervescence? Does this just mean ‘extra’ carbonated?

I will approach my evaluation of today’s beer of Ommegang Brut IPA with these aspects in mind.

How does the brewery describe this beer:

“With Brut IPA, we’ve created a distinctively Ommegang expression of this hop-driven style, using high attenuation and bottle conditioning to achieve a bright, dry, champagne-like character,” remarked Ommegang Brewmaster Phil Leinhart.

Ommegang Brut IPA is brewed with pilsner malt and flaked corn and hopped and dry-hopped with Mandarina Bavaria, Calypso, and Citra varietals, followed by a two-week bottle conditioning process to achieve exceptional levels of carbonation. It pours a light straw color with crystalline clarity. Aromas of dank, resinous pine, grapefruit, and pineapple precede a lively effervescence and a crisp, dry finish.

Shimmering CO2 means Ommegang Brut IPA will only be available in four-packs of 12-ounce bottles. With 6.3% ABV and 49 IBUs, it offers a welcome addition to every table, pairing best with sharp cheeses, hearty meats, and spiced desserts.”

http://ommegang.com/blog/meet-ommegang-brut-ipa-a-different-breed-of-bubbly/

Well this beer sure reads consistently with the BA description of a Brut IPA but I will let my palate be the final arbiter here.

Served in my Spiegelau IPA glass:

Appearance:

Extremely pale in appearance with a BIG white head which dissipates fairly quickly

Aroma:

A pleasing combination of citrus and fruity (stone fruits).

Taste:

The flavor pretty much follows the nose with a combination of citrus and fruity but I am picking up a bit of herbal flavor as well. There is just the tiniest bit of cracker-like malt flavor. There is a moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

This beer is well carbonated but I personally would not use the term “effervescence’ here; not a big deal IMO. The beer does indeed have a crispness quality and a dry finish – reminiscent of a Brut wine IMO.

Overall:

I really enjoyed drinking this beer (which I cannot say about the other beers labeled as Brut IPA that I have had). I would say this beer is very good – excellent. When I was finished I desired to drink another.

I am very, very glad that I found this beer. If this specific beer is representative of what a Brut IPA should be I am a fan of the Brut IPA beer ‘style’. Hopefully other breweries can learn to produce their Brut IPAs to be similar to the qualities of Ommegang Brut IPA.

Cheers to Ommegang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@rotsaruch @RobH @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @SierraTerence @BillManley @SixpointMikey @brianhink @nc41

[​IMG]

7. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,691) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

A-Pours a very dark color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has nice coffee, chocolate and caramel hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a nice coffee, chocolate and caramel flavor
    M-A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
    O-A good coffee Stout

8. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy Sunday, NBS crew! Made it out to Tired Hands for the first time this year, and came away with 5 different ipas...3 of them brand new. I’ll be reviewing all 3 today, and looks like I’ll be the second review on each, since @TheIPAHunter beat me to the punch and already has these beers added to the db and rated. I’ll settle for second though.

Starting with the collab, and I suppose the only hyped beer of this release, given the breweries involved.

Metamorphosis: PUPA - Tired Hands feat. Half Acre and Troon
    Rye IPA - 6.7% abv
    Purchased at Tired Hands for $18/4
    Canned 1/16/19 (11 days ago)
    Score: 4.06 (+0.2% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28383/394242/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    This doesn’t read to me as a “Rye IPA”. A bit doughy and bready in the middle, reminiscent of sourdough actually...but no spice that I could detect. Quite citrus-forward, with restrained bitterness and hardly any sweetness. This must be Troon’s influence, since TH loves residual and added sugar. I would choose this over the sugary stuff TH usually puts out, but I suspect most will be disappointed that this isn’t a lactose-sugar-candy-sparkles concoction.

9. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,810) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I slept most of yesterday after 12 hours of drinking and no sleep Friday night, and feel refreshed and ready for a new beer. It is Gasparilla weekend in Tampa, so pirate parades, ship floats and of course rum... in keeping with that theme - Founders’ “Barrel Runner”:

Poured at 56 degrees, big white head of mixed bubbles; clear but with dusty black particles suspended from top to bottom; moderate plus to heavy lacing; long cap retention; heavy ring; thin legs. 4.75

Booze and hops nose; tropical fruit and rum. 4.5

Guava, mango and kiwi; pineapple and rum; sweet malt base; some bitter hops in the middle;boozy rum and black pepper finish. 4.5

Medium body, moderate carbonation; slight alcohol burn on tongue; warming face flush. 4.25

This ale smells and tastes like a rum runner; bottled June 5, 2018, the hops/tropical fruit are assertive in the nose and the bitterness while mild keeps the sweet malt and booze from running away with the show; the linger is rum and pineapple, which is spot on for a rum runner cocktail. 4.5

I was hesitant to buy a full 4 pack (still plenty around town) because of price and advertised flavor profile, so I just got this single. I will grab a 4pk next beer run...I liked everything about this beer (except for the suspended particles, or else I would have given the appearance score a 5)...fruity nose, rum and boozy (which I personally like) in just the right amount. Founders makes some darn fine beers...

Have a great Sunday and Cheers!

10. zid

zid Meyvn (1,267) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

[​IMG]

Mikkeller NYC - Echt Keem

The can claims this is a “soda-style milk stout” and it has an image of a soda jerk on the can. What’s soda-style mean? I’d like to think that it means that this beer was made by mixing carbonated water with syrup and malt powder. That’s not their intended communication though. Going to the brewer’s website, I see that this beer was inspired by NY egg cream. Why not put that on the can instead? Perhaps they needed to avoid using the word “egg” on the label.

So then one would assume that “echt keem” is egg cream in Danish. Well, according to internet translation services, it translates to “really cool.” Huh? One theory about why egg cream got to be called “egg cream” is that egg might be a corruption of the German word “echt” which means “real” and an egg cream was real (or good) cream. Not that any of this really adds up, but at least now some connections are drawn. It makes sense for Mikkeller NYC to gravitate to an egg cream beer.

Whew. Now having gone through all that, let me say that I didn’t know any of this when drinking the beer. I dig after I drink. I knew it was a milk stout. Turns out, the beer was made with lactose and cocoa nibs.

The body of this beer is somewhere between medium and thin. Carbonation is a little prickly. It’s sweet but not overly so. It tastes of chocolate but is firmly in the chocolaty porter realm as opposed to some sort of chocolate dessert beer (or in hindsight, an egg cream).

I feel like the brewer set out to put a toe in the flavored stout waters while referencing the entire “milkshake” beer thing... but wanted something thinner and lighter in body - hence “soda-style” egg cream as opposed to milkshake. The beer is 5% ABV. I bought it because it was a 5% stout porter (an increasingly rare and delightful thing). It’s an enjoyable but unexceptional beverage.

@rgordon

11. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,952) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Thanks to @cjgiant for the great start to this weeks NBS. Will be back with a new brew later on today.

Cheers!

larryi86, woemad, smanson56 and 7 others like this.
  12. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,080) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Checking out Zaftig's 10% abv Bourbon Barrel Aged Wee Heavy...
    [​IMG]
    Pours a dark brown and looks like black glass in a tulip, with a thin pinkie-finger of tan foam that slips into a flimsy collar... Leaves brief lace motes down the glass after each sip... Aged for 12 months in a single cask of 12-year-old Four Roses bourbon barrels, this produced a delicious dose of sweet bourbon and molasses on the nose... Taste brought suggestions of ripe, dark fruits and chewy black molasses bread, with suggestions of vanilla and booze... Medium-bodied, smooth, with a touch of cleaning tannins and sharp earthy spices... A real killer drink - easily beats out my previous favorite, Wulver... Don't pass on it...
    [​IMG]
    Here's to new beer in your glass, cheers...

13. zid

Trader

Did you get that on the island?

smanson56, FFFjunkie and Greywulfken like this.
  14. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,860) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I had that one last night and really enjoyed it. Then I had another :wink::slight_smile:. I agree, it's quite a nice delicate beer. I also got a floral/herbal quality that I couldn't quite place as to whether it was from the hops or the yeast, but in any event all of the flavors flowed together so seamlessly that it probably doesn't matter. Good stuff!

I'll be back later on this afternoon. My major task for the day is to change out the lighting in my garage, and hopefully it'll be warm enough to keep the doors open for an hour or two- it'll probably be best to have my wits about me as well. So, it'll be something celebratory then, as long as I don't electrocute myself :sunglasses:. See y'all then!

Bum4ever, LeRose, champ103 and 24 others like this.
  15. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,632) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy New Sierra Nevada (& Maybe Some Others) Beer Sunday (Week 727)!

How interesting, at least to me, that many of the early respondents are fellow Pennsylvanians! My birthday is next month & a friend has a monthly bottle share at his place in Gulph Mills, near KofP & Conshohocken, at which we will be celebrating my 54th on Sa, 16 Febrewary, starting at 1100. BeerMail me if yinz CAN make it.

@JackHorzempa is kinda my inspiration for today. Well, I already had this planned, but he provided a nice segue, so … I have been on a Brut IPA kick since they began hitting the market. I still chuckle at SeanO's Blah, Blah, Blah IPA in which EVERYTHING is currently an IPA, including Lagers! Hahaha. What hath man wrought?!?

Lemme be frank & NOT like Margaret Houlihan was shocked when someone suggested that to her. I am a self-described, self-avowed hophead & have been since my first visit to Victory BC in Downingtown, PA. It was there that I had Hop Devil both on-tap & from a cask, sending me down a road from which I have yet to return! One wag wrote of me, "If cask beer is being pulled anywhere in his vicinity, you CAN be assured that @woodychandler will be on hand for a glass!" 8=)

I also fell in love with the bitterness imparted by hops. I came to the realization that the Hop Devil is female & my review was an ode to her in poetic format! She & I have danced many times, but I no longer find her as appealing as in those initial trysts. It was especially problematic when they released Wild Devil & asked for my opinion for publication. I said that it seemed like my G/F had contracted a yeast infection. :=O

I disliked Cascadian/Black IPAs because the dark malts got in the way of the hops. I am not a big fan of Tropical IPAs since they lack bitterness. Sameysame for NEIPAs. I have always liked White IPAs since the spices enhance the bitterness & I like the new Brut IPAs since they are both hoppy & dry, a winning CANbination from where I sit. I have yet to try Ommegang's version, but my opening salvo for today is:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/388283/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    Say, what is that noise? Oh, it's my lips, smacking! 8=) See yinz in a while. Inna meantime, how CAN you easily tell the difference between an alligator & a crocodile?

One you'll see later, the other you'll see in a while! ;=)

16. Greywulfken

Society Trader

No, I got it through Tavour...

17. woodychandler

Society Trader

FFFjunkie and smanson56 like this.
  18. woodychandler

Society Trader

[​IMG]

My ex-Old Lady was not Zaftig, but she CANstantly rocked a micro-mini kilt & for her, it was Januhairy all year-round + she was NOT shy about flashing the beav! Man, this label is memory-evoking!

19. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,691) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

A-Pours a nice light straw color with a slight head and lacing.
    A-Aroma has lemongrass and wheat hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with lemongrass and wheat flavors.
    M- A light bodied well balanced beer.
    O-A nice refreshing wheat beer

SawDog505, LeRose, superspak and 44 others like this.
  20. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,642) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good morning NBS
    A (semi)local RIS to start the day...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The review:
    12oz undated can poured into a Spiegelau stout glass at fridge temp 9.8% ABV 60 IBU 46 SRM per can label. The beer pours dense thick black evocative of motor oil with minimal mocha brown head. The head recedes to a fat ring of big bubbles. There are a few spots of lacing. The aroma is faint with roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate and coffee. The taste is semisweet chocolate and caramel initially rolling into an ashy & hefty roasted malt driven bitterness. As it warms there is a smokey element. The mouthfeel is very full bodied with minimal carbonation and a semi dry finish. There is a lot of residual sugar here but it's balanced by the substantial roasty bitterness. Overall, very good. Having had this beer and the barrel aged version, I believe this beer is brewed with the intent to barrel age. Enjoyable, but not very complex.

We are hosting my mother-in-law's 70th birthday party this afternoon. Coors Light is not a new beer to me, but I might make it back before closing time with my last RIS on hand. Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass today!

21. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

New beer #2.

Devil’s Cup - 18th Street
    Pale Ale - 6.6% abv
    Canned 1/10/19 (17 days ago)
    Purchased for $4.59 at Monde Market
    Score: 3.92 (-0.3% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31042/145096/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    An overly sweet, mostly traditional pale. I dig the hop combo here...orange mixed with floral and a little bit of earthy...it’s tasty. The malt here though dominates, which brings this to the point of being syrupy-sweet throughout the sip. Still, I’m stoked we’re getting 18th Street here now, especially since this can is very fresh and reasonably priced.

SawDog505, LeRose, Bum4ever and 48 others like this.
  22. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

New beer #3. Thanks @woemad !

Dormancy - Bale Breaker
    Breakfast Stout - 6.8% abv
    Score: 4.33 (+3.6% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31389/236599/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    An aggressive stout. Not in terms of booze, which is completely hidden, but in terms of its flavors. Bitter coffee, powerful semisweet chocolate, with a noticeable peanut butter finish. This one is worth seeking out. Thanks again Fred!

SawDog505, LeRose, Bum4ever and 51 others like this.
  23. zid

Trader

[​IMG]

After that beer, I couldn’t pass up a real egg cream with lunch. This one came heavy on the syrup. I always get an egg cream when at a diner and it never fails to make my wife laugh. I usually get vanilla though. Goes with my “vanilla boy” nickname for anyone who remembers me posting about that story (nobody). Cheers.

SawDog505, LeRose, Bluecrow and 23 others like this.
  24. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,229) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

I've seen it around but passed at $12 I believe it was. Want to try it but wasn't sure at that price. Are you getting distro of Zaftig ?

25. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Early game today means early to new beers. Grabbed a number of random beers this week that should get me through the day, starting with a style that seems to be popular that I had yet to try; the Brut IPA.

Sierra Nevada Brut IPA

[​IMG]

3.76/5 rDev +2.5%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Not much to see, crystal clear pale yellow with a quickly receding foamy white head that leaves a faint bit of bubble. Nose is really more like a Bier DeGarde, as I get a strong whiff of yeast before a corn heavy thing happening. Finishes bitter with more of a noble hop and Perrier aftertaste alongside a tiny bit of the taste of snow. It's dry, really fizzy and otherwise undemanding. Not bad at all for a "have a few while out" kind of joint but not like super interesting. But that's not always a bad thing.

LeRose, superspak, larryi86 and 45 others like this.
  26. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (735) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

Had this one while doing some things around the house this morning. My first from Icarus courtesy of @MacMalt in the NBS 8.5 box, really enjoyed this one.

Pours a dark brown/borderline black a big fluffy head that didn't stick around very long.
    Roasty coffee and malts, toffee, pecans on the nose.
    Taste follows with coffee and toasted pecan leading the way. Roasty malts, chocolate, some toffee notes.
    Nice full body with good carb level. Smooth and creamy.
    Overall an excellent stout, the flavors stand out on their own yet balance together quite nicely. If I hadn't read the can I wouldn't have had any indication that this one clocks in at 14.5%. Very drinkable.
    Thank you Rob for another excellent NJ brew.

SawDog505, LeRose, strohme2 and 47 others like this.
  27. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,190) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

New Brut IPA Sunday!
    Greetings from sunny but chilly Tennessee! I'm brewing up a Maibock in the hopes of an early spring and figured it's time for a beer.
    I spied this beer at our Trader Joe's yesterday and picked up a single for today. I had to chuckle when I read @JackHorzempa's and @woodychandler's posts this morning - great minds, I guess! The first Brut IPA I had was about 10 months ago, brewed locally at TailGate and it has remained the standard in my mind. First of all, it was bone dry, hoppy, and highly carbonated, appropriately (and safely) packaged in a thick Champagne bottle. Since then, I have been consistently disappointed in the commercially available versions.
    Anyway, I'm a big Sierra Nevada fan and thought that they might be able to finally nail the style on a large scale.
    [​IMG]
    Look: A strikingly beautiful beer. A crystal-clear, pale straw color with a large, fluffy white head. I enjoyed watching steady streams of bubbles escape from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma: light citrus with grapefruit, lemon, and lime. Also some dough and white bread.
    Taste: not surprisingly, citrus forward with lemon-lime followed by grapefruit. There was an assertive bitterness, but also restrained enough to be pleasant considering the dryness. They straddled this line nicely.

Feel: they almost nailed it. Bone dry and by far the driest of all the commercially available ones I've had thus far. Carbonation is higher than in their standard IPAs but below where I think a true Brut IPA should be. I get it, as that would require a thicker bottle (like a champagne bottle). A slightly higher carb level would have netted a 5 in my book.

Overall: a delicious beer. Way too easy to drink and a great representation of this new style. I'm planning on picking up a 6er later this week. Cheers!

SawDog505, LeRose, neenerzig and 51 others like this.
  28. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,239) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Thanks, Craig, for getting the ball rolling.
    This was our first week free of company since mid-December. It's nice having the place to ourselves again. We went to a couple movies this past week. Glass, an amalgam of Unbreakable and Split, was terrible. Serenity, a film noir with a neat little twist, was a little better.
    Today will be a relaxing day, with not much going on.

My new beer for this sunny Sunday is Double Dunk from Prairie. It is an imperial stout with Oreo, and clocks in at 11.9% ABV.
    In a snifter the beer is an opaque black color with no head.
    Aroma of chocolate, vanilla, and a hint of coffee.
    Tastes like Oreos. Vanilla, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and a little coffee. The alcohol is very well hidden.
    Probably the richest beer I have ever had. Even though it is only a 12 ounce bottle, I'm going to need help with it.

A good Sunday to all.

[​IMG]

SawDog505, LeRose, strohme2 and 50 others like this.
  29. Ice_Cream_And_IPAs

Ice_Cream_And_IPAs Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2016 New York

Thank you, all, for your reviews this morning. I enjoy reading them while between my sets in the gym. The morning workout session is done and it is time for a recovery beverage. My gym sells lots of different protein drinks that come in all sorts of bright cans and bottles, but I think I have something more potent (although it also comes in a bright can...)

Alvarado Street Brewery — Amigos IPA
    Canned on: 01.22.18

[​IMG]

Alvarado has been messing with their core beers lately, making them more into real juice bombs. I'm usually not a fan of changing recipes that much, but since I haven't tried any of the previous batches, it's all good.

Look: Pours murky bright yellow. An aggressive pour generates about a finger of quickly dissipating white head, made up of large nonuniform bubbles. There is minimal lacing left on the glass. As soon as all head is gone, it actually does look exactly like orange juice in the glass.

Smell: The citrusy hop-juice aroma bursts out of the can immediately after breaking the seal. In a glass though, the smell is not overwhelming. I pick up some yeast on the nose as well.

Taste: Juicy and bitter. I'm picking up a lot of orange peel/zest. There's also a slight amount of hop burn on the back end. Thankfully, not getting too much yeast character in the taste, and what's there is blended well with the hop profile. Nice hoppy burps while drinking too, matching Alvarado's "BURP HOPS" slogan for their hoppy beers.

Feel: Traditional NEIPA. The body is smooth and creamy, there's no apparent alcohol, and the carbonation is medium to high.

Conclusion: Alvarado did well with Amigos. It's not mindblowing in any category but is solid in all of them. At less than a week old, this beer is still pretty "green." Luckily, I enjoy my IPAs like this. I won't hesitate to try this again.

4 | 4.25 | 4.25 | 4.25 | 4.25
    Overall: 4.24 (rDev +4.4%)

SawDog505, LeRose, superspak and 46 others like this.
  30. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,117) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Black hog coffee milk stout
    Medium light carbonation with at least a medium body. Slight oily creamy feel
    ..solid black appearance
    ..aroma is black coffee, toasted malt,char and milk chocolate
    . Taste follows the aroma with it being mildly sweet with if becoming more bitter as it warms. Flavors coat the tongue and linger awhile
    .. overall a very pleasant surprise as I wasnt expecting much[​IMG]

SawDog505, LeRose, superspak and 45 others like this.
  31. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,663) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Whew! Good morning, BAs! It's another miserable day for a run, gray, rainy, and chilly (but not cold; calm down, Northern NBSers!). There was only one other idiot out there like me, and he was bundled from head to toe, including gloves!

But, rain or shine, I'm sticking to it. I don't know how fuckers like @Harrison8 do it; you know you've made a poor life decision when a 3 mile run is how you recover your body from the day before. Ugh. :joy:

As I mentioned over in WBAYDN?, I'm having leftover pork tacos for lunch, and I've decided to pair them with a beer whose exclusivity I did not immediately notice. A good friend of mine sent me some wonderful Barreled Souls (he visits the brewery frequently), including some brewery-only releases. One good soldier died in transit (*shakes fists at the sky in impotent rage at UPS*) - Death Star One.

Well, if that beer is supposed to be as good as or better than the two that survived, holy hell .... because these were both amazing!

Yesterday I dug into Mexican Donut, and it wowed me. Yes, I'm killing this box of exclusive beer right out of the gate, but I don't care. For beer review #2100, I'm tackling Rye Barrel Aged Teotihuacan, an imperial stout with cacao nibs and roasted habaneros, with primary fermentation in oak, and aged for 11 months in Hillock Rye barrels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bottle number 93 out of only 204. :astonished:

I've got good friends. Not many friends, mind you, but the ones I keep are amazing. :relieved:

This beer is, in a word, amazing. I've got it a touch below yesterday's Mexican Donut by rating (despite being rye whiskey barrel aged), but it's not by much. I've also got it up there with some of the titans of the BA imperial stout game (OK, teeeechnically it doesn't crack my top 150 beers, but that's a hell of a list at this point!).

Being an occasional cigar smoker, I often describe my beers in thirds (sometimes halves). This one, like Mexican Donut, does not have discrete and separate "phases" to the flavor. Instead, it all swirls together in a wonderful melange of chocolate, rye mash, oak, vanilla, espresso, char, and habanero.

The mouthfeel is yet another home run by Barreled Souls (I feel bad abbreviating them to BS :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). Thick, luscious, and with any alcohol heat (12.9%!) easily masked by the habaneros - which, themselves, are present throughout without ever becoming obnoxious.

This is a wonderful beer, truly.

Full review below:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/36073/355887/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.44 / 0.00% (only review/rating)

Well, I've got a refrigerator (and a cellar) stocked with beers I've never had before, so I think this is going to be merely the first of several NBS entries for me today.

Cheers!

SawDog505, LeRose, strohme2 and 51 others like this.
  32. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Next up I play closer to my wheelhouse with a Cascadian from Three Chop’t. Technically it’s a collab with Oskar Blues.

[​IMG]

3.48/5 rDev -4.4%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I was a little concerned when this poured with a not too dark manner, like more like a brown ale. Did produce a thick foamy, sticky lacing head though, so that’s good. Nose is odd, maybe cola and ginger? Taste makes only slightly more sense as it starts out with molasses and takes an earthy bitter and ginger again? twist. Aftertaste is a little molasses sweet bitter as well. All told, this leans towards the “mess” side of Cascadians.

SawDog505, LeRose, superspak and 44 others like this.
  33. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

New beer #4.

Cacao Hazelnut Tangerine Double Milkshake - Tired Hands
    DIPA - 9.2% abv
    Canned 1/10/19 (17 days ago)
    Purchased for $24/4 at Tired Hands
    Score: 3.77 (-8.9% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28383/393314/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    A very weird beer. I guess with the name you’d expect a lot going on, but this thing is all over the place. An unexpected dankness is the leading flavor, followed by citrus (tangerine, grapefruit, orange). Then the chocolate comes into play, but chocolate + citrus + dank just doesn’t work for me. Not tasting any hazelnut at all. Glad I only have 1 of these to drink. The rest I’ll be BIF’ing to various BAs, who I hope like this more than I do!

SawDog505, LeRose, strohme2 and 46 others like this.
  34. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: American Bruit IPA

Afternoon NBSers with yet another take on the Sierra Nevada Brut IPA.

As usual, my review, subject to revision until the beer is finished, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/388283/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors are light clean and crisp with some light lemongrass, grapefruit, a bit of orange all blending nicely with the crackery, biscuity malt. There’s also a light herbal bitterness. The finish begins as the fruit flavors and light sweetness faced to leave the clean, crisp, very dry lightly bitter ending to slowly fade away. Interesting, enjoyable and what seems to be a good example of the emerging Brut IPA style.

Cheers, all!

SawDog505, LeRose, superspak and 39 others like this.
  35. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Nope... :wink:

zid, GOBLIN and smanson56 like this.
  36. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,194) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Great review! I need to get me some Barreled Souls.

It takes a special kind of stupid to be out running in nasty weather, but I'd still choose it over the treadmill! They make clothes to keep me warm and dry, after all

Cheers for getting out there and getting it done!

37. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

New beer #5. Thanks @FlintB !

No Rules - Perrin
    BBA Imperial Porter - 15% abv
    Vintage 2016
    Score: 4.36 (-2.9% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29952/172420/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    Generally I’m not a fan of sweet beers, but in this one it works. This monster is VERY sweet...like, immediate diabetic shock sweet...but it’s not an artificial candy sweetness. Instead, the sweetness integrates nicely with the caramel, coconut, chocolate, and mild bourbon elements. The coconut in particular is so tasty, and dampens down the sweetness that could otherwise be cloying. This smells amazing, too...like a tropical beach in winter. I will be sipping this for a good while. Thanks again Brian!

38. Greywulfken

Society Trader

Checking out this collab between Anchorage and Monkish...
    [​IMG]
    Lines Double IPA, 8.4% abv, featuring Mosaic, Citra, and Simcoe hops...
    [​IMG]
    Pours a hazy golden color, just about opaque, with a fat, creamy white head that persists as a fuzzy cap while sheeting the glass with lace as it drinks down... An incredible beer - true hop candy - aromas and flavors are of candied fruits like pineapple, orange, apricot, peach, and mango - sweet and plush, with just enough of a tacky pine undercurrent to add some balancing bitterness and leave a resinous shellac of honeyed pine across the tongue... Medium-bodied but pillowy and smooth, amply carbonated, with a lingering bitter close on the finish... A magnificent marriage of juicy, sweet fruits and clean bitter pine - very New England-esque, and highly recommended...
    [​IMG]
    Cheers...

39. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,949) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I didn't think I would like this one at all; surprisingly, I do. Cheers.

40. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,663) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Next up, I'm going with a Belgian Witbier. Technically.

[​IMG]
    Perennial Apricot Funky Wit

Going into this beer, I knew I was going to be rating it as an American Wild Ale, not a Witbier. That turned out to be 100% the correct decision.

Oh, there are Wit moments here: some coriander and orange peel, especially on the nose, and a bit of bubblegum yeast.

But other than that? This is a tart, sour, funky beast of a beer. If you handed someone this brew and suggested it was an American sour, they'd be good to go. If you handed someone else this brew and suggested it was a Blue Moon, they'd spit it out, because clearly it has gone bad.

I love the balance of tartness, sourness, and funkiness; it could benefit from some more fruit character.

In full disclosure: this bottle is approaching 2 years old (22 months right now), so those funkier, sour-like qualities are surely enhanced (there's clearly some lacto involved), and the fruit has surely faded a touch. Fresh, there's probably more representation of the apricot, which in this bottle, is present primarily on the nose.

Definitely an enjoyable sour, no doubt. Review below:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25888/160563/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.15 / -8.8% (only 32 total ratings, including mine)

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.