New Beer Sunday (Week 727)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Jan 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zid

zid Meyvn (1,263) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

It’s so refreshing to see a beer like that on NBS. For today, I had two 16oz cans lined up for NBS that’ll be here today gone tomorrow.

2. StraightNoChaser

StraightNoChaser Poo-Bah (2,306) Oct 21, 2007 Georgia
    Society Trader

3. TheBrewsky

TheBrewsky Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2017 California

New week, new beer! Had an awesome haul on Friday, and this is part of the loot!
    Moonraker - Papillon DIPA, featuring Strata, Citra, and Simcoe hops. 8.5%abv.
    [​IMG]
    Canned 1/18/19. Consumed from tulip glass.
    L: Pours a bright orange color, resembling diluted cutie juice. The amount of haze is evident, completely opaque. This look likes a proper NEIPA juice bomb. From a simple non-aggressive pour, about a finger of a loosely packed off-white cap formed and dissipated rapidly. Glass lacing is minimal but does leaves spots of sudsy foam randomly on the edge of the glass.
    S: Very fruit-forward. Loads of melon, orange, grapefruit, lemon, and papaya with hints of cracked black pepper. Crackery yeast aroma is also detectible which meshes well with the lemongrassy hop profile. Overall, it is very juice-driven.
    T: As expected, a hoppy juice bomb. Tons of citrus with healthy amounts of mango, pineapple and papaya. The finish consists of grassy hop flavor with lingering notes of apricot, pineapple, orange and yeast. Slightly dry at the finish with pleasant aftertaste.
    F: Medium in body but somewhere between medium to full in weight. It has that soft, creamy, pillowy texture that I love in NEIPAs. Carbonation is low to moderate, leaning more to the lower side of the spectrum. Alcohol is not apparent.
    O: This is an exceptional brew. As I toy with it and try to sit and keep myself from glugging it too fast, it really starts to blossom. The smell has gotten better as it sits, becoming even more aromatic. The flavor is straight juice, and the feel ties up the entire experience.
    4.54/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,576) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

Imperial Black Prototype, a Baltic Porter by German brewery Kehrwieder (7.8% ABV)

Pours a pitch black coloration with a huge, creamy head. Smells of roasted, caramel malt and dark, bitter chocolate, as well as strong aromas of dark and red fruit.

Taste follows the nose, being dominated by roasted, caramel malt, rich dark and bitter chocolate as well as a strong and complex presence of slightly tart dark/red and even tropical fruits: fig, plum, cherry, red/blackcurrant, passion fruit, as well as some grassy/herbal notes and a hint of pine. Finishes with a light bitterness and some slighty tart fruit notes lingering in the aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

Quite a unique brew with an intriguing balance of rich malt and vibrant hoppy notes that brings to mind both a Sherry/Portwine with its notes of dark/red fruit and light booziness as well as a Black IPA with some tropical fruit notes and pine, all held together by rich roasted, caramel, chocolatey malts. A slightly weird brew that kinda falls betweem two stools but still works rather nicely due to a good overall balance.

5. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,979) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

New Wild Ale Sunday (Week 727)
    Goood afternoon all you lager lovers, ale adorers, beer believers and stout achievers, Happy New Beer Sunday from on the ridge in Mid Hud Val, NY.

Tough day at work, windy and cold with flurries whipping through, and many customers. Sad biopsy results for the man who replaced me, and who I now replace temporarily, he's in my prayers. Hard to not spend time catching up with all of the Sunday folks I haven't seen since my, err... retirement, haha, and I admit I caused a line of cars all the way to the gate during peak hours today as folks conversated (love that non-word). Town Supervisor was in to see how it's going, and you could tell he was loving to see things again the way they are supposed to be when the center is run right. Win-win situation, town saves a buncha money, and more material gets recycled.

Today's beer is one I couldn't resist buying with no info, I just love the combination of wild ale and apricot. Not gonna post the horrible pic I took, horrible even by my own pathetic standards. Never learned or needed to know how to take a proper pic as I was married to a master for over 25 years.

Grimm Midheaven Wild Ale
    . Drinking it now, jotting notes, will add full review to the base later.

Y'all likely haven't had Bullfrog Grrrz Apricot, but the nose is exactly as I remember that one, a wonderful mix of sharp and rounded tart, light earthy funk, light peppery notes, apricot jam, with lemon limey/overripe fruit funk accompaniment that is highly inviting. The taste is full strength goodness, a well balanced display of all the flavors of the aroma. Very delicious, with the sharper tart notes more subdued than in aroma, to good advantage. Clean and refreshing, complex and interesting. Highly recommended. If you like fruited wild ales I guarantee you'll love this.

Hope you also have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

6. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,184) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Spent the weekend in a cabin with some good friends. Now that I'm home, I'm focusing on some Missouri brews. At least for starters. First up -

[​IMG]

Schlafly's Ibex Cellar: Local Oak.

Pours a foggy copper-orange with a finger of white fizzy, foam. Head bubbles away quickly, with an audible pop and fizz. Aroma is tart and sharp, hitting notes of grapefruit, melon dew, grapes, oak, and cherries. Flavor profile is grapefruit, melon dew, cherries and grapes add lively fruit qualities that blend well with a slight tart sourness. An oak note at the start and finish adds dryness that beautifully opens and concludes the lightly tart and sour presentation. Mouth feel is fizzy and effervescent, but remains medium at the thickest and thin at the thinnest. In other words, the body and presence is light, and nears on crisp. Overall, fruity notes are nice and aren't focused in any particular direction, making for a delightful sour sipper.

Score: 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | BA Score: 4 | rDev: -0.5%

7. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Good afternoon and happy New Berry Sunday, BAs. Not a whole lot going on here in the PNW other than had an unexpected surprise visit from some good old friends from LA. A mini tour of North Portland for them was the extent of my excursions this weekend, but a great time it was including another wonderful visit to Cathedral Park.

[​IMG]

Had my first night at graveyard shift last night/this morning followed by a few hours of sleep, so thought I should reward myself for surviving night one. Sorry if this is a bit off. Perhaps mirroring my current state...

Deschutes
    The Dissident- Aged with Oregon Marionberries

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Relief. The pop of the waxed cap releases an enthusiastic gush, but to my surprise, does not transfer in appearance. A crystal clear berry red body wears an eager to leave purple tinted foam cap. Once descended, nothing but clean ruby and plum colors shimmer, reminiscent of church wine.

A small bill of aromas, yet each are abundant. The clear up front winner being the delicious black berry hybrid. Marionberry, Blackberry, Boysenberry. Take your pick. I'll go with the Marion as it delivers an added tartness to the senses. A lovely level of acidity opens the floodgates from the back of the mouth. Oak and cinnamon provide a savory and spicy aspect.

The first draw and I'm brought back to the ceremonial sip of communion. Luckily there is no metallic chalice flavor, nor the residue of 1,000 other lips from the congregation. But the berry influence is wine like. Concord grape sweetness meets blackberry tartness. A clean oak stave cuts through the middle with spices rounding out the edges.

Appropriately in line with the flavors, this has it all. Sour flows into sweet, then savory, then spicy, then full circle. The tartness not too puckering. There is seemingly little to no carbonation, but the acidity and dryness act in its place. The elevated 11.7 abv is undetectable other than it's altering effects.

This beverage had me very excited. In years past, The Dissident had eluded me year after year. When I finally had the pleasure, it was worth the wait. This variant is delicious, but not as great as its base in my opinion, which only slightly bums me out as the Marionberry is perhaps my favorite of the fruit world. Still, an exceptional treat and one not worth passing on.

After my official review, I gave this a rating of 4.13 with an rDev of -1.9%

Cheers.

8. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,534) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    NBS review #2. Historic Rivalry is a NE IPA brewed by Backward Flag Brewing Co. of Forked River, NJ, in collaboration with Tattered Flag Brewing of Middletown, PA. Both breweries are owned by military veterans and this beer celebrates the annual Army-Navy football game. It was canned on or about 12/5/2018. To my mind it's not a NE IPA in appearance. The smell features lots of sweet citrus but the taste is quite bitter. That may be due to age. It's fine but I didn't like it nearly as much as the Black Ale from Backward Flag that I reviewed last Sunday. Profits from this brew go to aid veterans. I plan on visiting Backward Flag the next time I head up or down the Garden State Parkway to the Shore. Here's my full review:

3.81/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a collaboration between Backward Flag Brewing in New Jersey and Tattered Flag Brewing in Pennsylvania. Canned on or about 12/5/2018 to honor the Army-Navy football game. Poured into a tulip glass. It pours a cloudy, golden-orange color with a thin, bright white cap and a thin sheen of creamy lacing. On the nose there is lemon, grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine, lite pine, and floral hops. The taste opens with a burst of sweet citrus: pineapple and tangerine, along with tart lemon. There is also a hint of vanilla/lactose. I could not determine exactly what hops were used but they provide a decidedly bitter finish. The mouth feel is crisp and light with a pleasant level of carbonation, and at 6% ABV the drinking is easy. To me this isn't a classic NEIPA either in appearance or taste but it's a tasty, easy-drinking, refreshing ale and it celebrates something really special.

9. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,936) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Looks good; nice review. Help me understand, though. Not one single characteristic is above 4.5, but overall it's rated 4.75. Am I missing something?

Cheers.

10. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,584) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Hoppin' Frog's 'T.O.R.I.S. The Tyrant'

4.32/5 rDev +0.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Opaque ebony body; relatively thick and creamy brown head. Big charred grain smell; boozy. Pochwerful flavor punch of cocoa, dark and milk chocolate; coffee; whiskey-like. Heavy, chewy body; dense residual sugar presence; coats the palate with sticky sweetness; some boozy heat.

This is an outstanding Russian imperial stout. It's nice to have such a high ABV beer sporting a relatively thick and lasting head as well as leaving some legs of foam clinging to the glass. The oatmeal certainly lends to the fantastically velvety mouthfeel. All in all, an incredible beer.

------------------------

I was nearly jonseing for a rich, tasty stout last night and had to drain pour a beer from Rooftop that seemed to taste like white wine and vinegar. The same beer nine months ago was fairly solid, but it apparently didn't age well. So today I looked forward to one of Hoppin' Frog's big stouts and certainly have not been disappointed. Oh, this is a dark, boozy monster. And, god, I love the dark side (well properly done) and the Frog rarely, if ever, lets you down!!!

11. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,519) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Good evening NBS, hope everyone is enjoying the end of the weekend once again. Normal week and weekend as usual. Made a modest beer haul this weekend, but it was not as much as I hoped for. It gets harder to find new beer by the week. Will have to seek out some more trades probably. Got some new glasses and an eye exam last week for the first time in 4 years. Been catching up on my health checkups recently.

Beer:

Brand new stuff, glad they are can dating now. This was amazing! Great head retention/lacing, deep ruby/purple color. Aromas and flavors of huge juicy/tart/tangy blackberries, black currant, fruit skin/seed, plum, lemon, lime, orange, peach, pear, melon, apricot, red/green apple, red grape/wine, hay, straw, and grass; with moderate vanilla, cream, wheat, cracker, white bread dough malt sweetness; light lacto funk, and yeast earthiness. Light-moderate fruity/lactic tartness, fruit tang, and light spiciness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body; creamy/bready/grainy wheat/lactose; some lactic acid and fruit tang/tannins in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing acidic/tangy dryness, no pucker. Very flavorful/refreshing, 4.5%. Not overly lactic. Amazing balance of huge jammy fruit and Lacto complexity; with lactose, and pale/wheat malts against acidity. Looking forward to more cans from them soon. This was top tier for a milkshake sour. Will get again. 4.35
    [​IMG]

Cheers

12. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,588) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Next up: only my 3rd beer from this Winter Springs, Florida brewery, Red Cypress: Floret Sauvage (Wild Forest).

[​IMG]

From the bottle:
    "This complex farmhouse-style saison is a blend of three batches, all aged between 8 to 18 months with multiple strains of Brettanomyces. We then bottled conditioned the beer for a couple months, making this beer almost as old as the brewery."

Huh. Right off the bat, going with a blended, aged, Brett saison? You've got balls, Red Cypress, I'll give you that! No bottle date, so I've got nothing to go on other than knowing how Brett develops.

From ME, then:
    Wow, just tons of Brett. Tons and tons. There's just a touch of honey, cracker, and hay that betrays this brew as a saison; otherwise, the Brett is so dominant that one would be forgiven for mistaking this brew for Orval in a blind taste test.

Full review below:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/43741/287154/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.91 / +0.8%

Cheers!

13. TheBrewsky

Not missing anything. As I drank more, I feel that the beer itself (drinking experience included) earned a 4.75/5. The combo of the smell, feel and flavor together earns it a 4.75 overall. I hopes this makes any sense. Definitely one of my favorites from Moonraker.

14. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,936) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

It seems counter-intuitive, but it's your personal opinion. Cheers for that.

15. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,184) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

More Missouri beer for me tonight.

[​IMG]

Schlafly's Ibex Cellar: Barrel-Aged Saison.

Pours foggy golden-copper with two fingers of white foam. A ring of white foam lingers long after the head dissipates. Barrel and fruity bubblegum and banana pop out immediately in the aroma. Beyond this trifecta, subtle yeast, clove, and oak swirl together to further develop the aroma in an approachable complexity. Flavor profile is fruity bubblegum, banana, yeast esters, clove, spicy and herbal hops, with smooth oak and barrel rounding it all out. There is a faint dryness that helps curtail the fruits and bubblegum slightly, although they continue to linger a long while. Mouth feel is medium-thick with a fuzzy, effervescent, silty, filling texture. It delivers a lot by way of texture. Overall, a splendid use of saison and barrel, allowing fruity, yeasty, spicy notes to ebb and flow with the barrel imparted notes.

Score: 4 | 4 | 4 | 4.25 | 4.25 | BA Score: 4.08 | rDev: +0.5% (1 other rating/review)

16. superspak

Society Trader

Never even heard of this brewery, but my friend gave me it for free. This was a delicious English brown ale. Great rocky head retention/foamy lacing. Aromas and flavors of caramel, brown sugar, toffee, roasted nuts, brown bread dough/crust, and toasted biscuit malts; with lighter notes of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, raisin, plum, fig, pear, red apple, herbal, floral, grass, pepper, and yeast earthiness. A bit muted aromas. Light-moderate herbal, floral, grassy, peppery, roasted bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body; creamy/bready/grainy malts, some sticky hops, and light chalky roast in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing bitter dryness, no cloying/astringency. Very smooth, 5.2%. Very flavorful for the ABV. Great rich and well rounded English malt complexity; with restrained fruity English yeast, and balancing earthy hops against sweetness. Spot on stuff for the style. 3.91
    [​IMG]

Cheers

17. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,573) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I am probably going to be sipping on this gem for a bit while catching up on some shows. Transient collaboration with Saint Errant BA No Cake. An oatmeal stout aged in bourbon and BLIS maple syrup barrel brewed with vanilla, chocolate, graham cracker and cinnamon. This is a very dessert like stout and hits all the notes, I love the nose and the taste on this one. The cinnamon is a bit strong so if you do not like cinnamon you may not like this but I love it so this one is perfect for me. Thanks to @LloydDobler for sending this my way!!!

[​IMG]

Appearance 4.25 - Pours black with a thin tan head that quickly dissipates to a thin ring around the glass. Just a few spots of lacing in the glass.

Aroma 4.5 - Tons of cinnamon vanilla, chocolate the graham cracker comes in as it warms a bit. The nose is really sweet, cake batter like sweetness. This thing smells incredible. I am not getting much bourbon but this is a dessert stout for sure.

Taste 4.5 - Taste is a little more subdued on the cinnamon but it probably still comes out the most. Rich chocolate fudge, vanilla, bourbon flavor is really nice along with just a hint of barrel. Getting a little maple in the taste I did not find in the nose.

Feel 4.25 - High side of medium, very nice warming for the alcohol, smooth very easy drinking for 12%.

Overall 4.46 - Very well done stout, I absolutely love the flavor, super easy drinking and smooth.

18. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

As good a straight RIS as any on the market. I sometimes hesitate at the price tag, but I am never disappointed in the result.

19. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,948) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Beautiful brew I received from @thebeers in a recent secret Santa BIF.
    [​IMG]
    Light orange straw with a few whispy floating islands between a thin off-white collar. Slight haze after careful pour.

Aroma is earthy oak, tart candy and hint of white fleshed fruit

Flavor is bright tartness followed by subtle but delicious nectarine. Background of earthy wood barrel and sweetness.

Fine carbonation, dry with less than medium body.

Overall a tasty and delicious brew. Great use of fruit, doesn’t take over but doesn’t get lost.

Thanks!

20. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,166) Nov 4, 2015 New York

Goooood afternoon, NBSers

This was canned 1/16, and just arrived Thursday. (from an hour away :rolling_eyes: - killin' me, Mr Distributor, who is ~6 mi away, just over the hill.) I've liked all of Good Nature's hoppy stuff (when it wasn't old^:angry:) , so decided to give it a try. Described as a white IPA.

I've never had such a thing, and neither the can, nor any of the brewery's sites/pages explain what that might be. I reviewed it, before looking. Well...…. my perception seemed to fall within the range described in a 2015 article, when several breweries started putting them out : sort of a hybrid of an IPA and a Belgian wit.

The color on my photo is close to what I see with my eyes. Pale, diluted, yellow. At some angles, it looks a tad brown/pink-ish, as in the photo ; at some angles/ amount of sunlight (in-&-out sun , & snow flurries) it looks like pineapple juice diluted with graywater. :grimacing: That is the reason for my "look" downgrade.

The aroma is the first thing actually noticeable. Very noticeable as I poured! Whoa! I could smell it from ~8' away, as I took photos, despite a brisk breeze , and a snow squall. Grapefruit, & pineapple juice were well-apparent from that distance . After the photo, sticking my nose in also got some vague mixed fruit, something herbal akin to a dusting of sage, some spiciness (Yeast? Rye? Coriander &/or black pepper?) , pie crust (wheat?) , and a bit of sour.(as in lemonade) . The brewery description is about their perception of the vibe, not what's actually in it. :slight_smile: ("Winters in New York are long." Yeah, no s***! , but what is in the $#@&&^%!!! beer? :wink::stuck_out_tongue:)

The flavor was much simpler : GRAPEFRUIT PITH, spiciness, sage(tiny amt.) , other fruit , and a constant DRY, grapefruit-pith-bitterness.

The feel was light, but somewhat creamy. Not watery, nor was the carbonation prickly in the least , as might be expected, given the 5.4% abv, and the overall flavor profile. :sunglasses:

The verdict : once I got used to the simple flavor, and the dryness, I enjoyed it very much. This would be killer on a hot July day. (Hint! , GN. :wink:) After a day hauling the summer-cut wood home, across the (finally!) frozen ground ...yeah, this would be good.(Glad I don't have to do that anymore.:wink::sunglasses:) This was even dryer than the Ommegang Brut IPA that I had last NBS. If you enjoy that sort of thing, you'll probably like this.
    [​IMG]
    4.38/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25
    Full review : https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27110/395144/?ba=mikeinportc#review

21. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,226) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

Happy New Beer Sunday!
    My first black IPA in a while. Hopped with Centennial.
    Notes of pine, grapefruit, lemon, blueberry, burnt toast, dark chocolate, and black coffee. All hops upfront, which transfers to a malty middle, and it finishes bitter with both burnt and roasted malt and pine and grapefruit peel.
    A solid black IPA, very characteristic of the style.

[​IMG]

Good Nature is one of the most underrated upstate NY breweries. I'll have to buy this if I see it.

22. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,949) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Happy New American Strong Ale Sunday!

Pretty nice day on the Western Slope, some sun/clouds at the trailhead, around 5300 ft., still a bunch of snow up there. Having a very tasty brew, glad I saw this at the shop, hopefully there will be some left next time I visit. Watching some more Sopranos reruns.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20680/55401/?ba=Wasatch#review

Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,190) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Back with one more new beer before dinner. This is a local one from the Embrace the Funk series at Yazoo. It's a "dark strong ale was fermented with a blend of Belgian and Norwegian yeasts, along with our house mixed culture, while aging in our French Oak Foudre. Then spent 2 months conditioning on Blackberries and Raspberries."
    [​IMG]

Look: my picture doesn't do this justice. There was a muddy dark reddish-purple color that looked dark plum in the glass. really nice. A standard pour produced a fairly large pink-tan head that lingered throughout the drink.

Aroma: bright fruit - blackberries and raspberries. Also prominent oak and funk, especially on the back end.

Taste: tart and mouth-watering. Mainly raspberries with blackberries and tart plums on the finish. Less funk than on the aroma, but the wood and funk was there throughout, acting like a backbone for the fruit. Great balance between the two.

Feel: medium-bodied and slightly sticky. Lively carbonation.

Overall: Fantastic. The fruit mingled extremely well with the oak. Complex and delicious. One of my favorite ETF sours.

24. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,683) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

First beer for NBS; Pipeworks Genuine Bock checking in at 6.66% ABV, cheers to @FBarber for this. 4.17 overall score

Pours an effervescent chestnut with 3+ fingers of tan head ( vigirous pour ). Pretty nice lacing above averqage head retention

S: Malty, bready

T: Follows the nose, nice cakey sweetness, a little dryness & woody hop as well up front. A little brown bread, cakeyness & dryness as this warms, just a little woody biterness as well. Dry finish with plenty of malty sweetness

MF: Medium body, restrained carbonation

Nice take on the style, drinks fairly easy

25. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,513) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Nice - I might crack my bottle in a couple of hours!

FFFjunkie, JayWhitson and Wasatch like this.
  26. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,858) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Hey everybody! My garage lights are working beautifully, even though it was a bit of a pain in the ass to pull off. For whatever reason the original electrician in this house used small light switch boxes in the ceiling instead of a round lighting box, and the mounting holes didn't line up at all, so it took some cajiggering. Those LEDs, though- wow, they were worth it and the output is so freakin' bright. And I didn't electrocute myself, so win/win overall. :grin:

My celebratory beer is another mystery beer from @FlintB . My favorite part of doing these is going into something with no preconceived notions whatsoever (well, except for whatever knowing the abv in advance does.) With that being said, I figured it was about time to hit the strong stuff:
    [​IMG]
    It's a rich chestnut brown beer clocking in at 12.5%.

The aroma starts out sweet and rounded. I'm getting toffee, dates, berries, vanilla, and a touch of wood. Swirling rearranges things, and brings out a deep melanoidin soaked malt character to the forefront. Overall, though, this is very cohesive, and suggestive of a barleywine.

My initial sips seem a little disjointed from the aroma- much more toasty and angular. It's also drier than expected, but ultimately that's actually preferable to me. But as I go along it gets rounder and maltier. Big brown sugar, toffee and dates dominate. Woven within are hints of vanilla, dried flowers and subtle wood. If this is barrel aged it's more along the lines of rum than bourbon.

After a slightly rocky start it developed into a fantastic strong beer, and the last sips were an expression of near-pure malt heaven. Solid A (4.5) here, and definitely recommended!

If I had to guess I'd say it was an English-style barleywine given a short while in rum barrels.

And here's the reveal:
    [​IMG]
    Kuhnhenn Dark Heathen Triple Bock Lager

Well, that explains the pure malt part, but they really did coax some great subtle complexities out of it as well. Hats off to Kuhnhenn, they continue to impress me with their quality brews. Thanks again Brian!

27. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,431) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good evening, NBS friends. I have a couple of beers to share tonight. The first is an exotic DIPA from Sixpoint, in a glass courtesy of our beer nerd friend @TongoRad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.1/5 rDev +4.3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

The pour initially has a brownish tint to the orange color, but that fades as the beer settles. Appearance is murky, but not a milkshake, and there’s a nice light tan head.

The nose ..... is an adventure. First note I pick up is coconut. There are not many DIPA’s that have a coconut aroma, but this DIPA definitely does. There’s also a cornucopia of tropical aromas, with oranges, really ripe grapefruit, passion fruit, mango, guava - a striking array of aromas to sort through.

The taste settles down a bit, though. The coconut nut is present, but it plays nicely with the oranges and the grapefruit, and the other flavors mentioned above lend this an exotic note that leaves no room for any hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel is a bit creamy and full, giving this beer an almost creamsicle quality. The can describes this as “experimental,” and that is proof that proof in advertising still exists, because this beer straddles multiple lines. I’m glad I got to ride this flavor roller coaster.

28. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,603) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy End of the First Half of My New Sierra Nevada (& Maybe Some Others) Beer Sunday (Week 727)!

I am actually impressed with myself in that I got through the whole thing. I often set a high Sunday bar for myself & ocCANsionally meet my goal, but it often ends in my drifting into Snoozeland, only to pick up either the following day or the next week.

My seCANd of the day was:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/337412/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    followed by:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/337411/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    but sessions make me want an ENTIRE session, so I CANtinued with:
    [​IMG]
    That was MUCH more like it, but I still had:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/337414/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    & https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/387939/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    to go. Well, that much is inna books …

29. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,949) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

It is very tasty.

Cheers!

30. TheBrewsky

More new Moonraker, which is anything but a bad thing!
    Moonraker - Citra Double Crush
    [​IMG]
    Clocks in at 8.5 AbV. The hop of the evening - everybody’s favorite Citra.

Canned 1/15/19. Consumed from a teku glass.
    L: Pours a murky golden straw yellow in color. About a finger of a dense off-white head that retained nicely. Heaps of residual sudsy lacing clings to the glass as I partake. The lacing bumps it up from 4.25 to a 4.5.
    S: Citrus and tropical fruits definitely comprises the majority of the smell, but I am getting a decent amount of flaked oats aromas. Heavy on citrus- primarily grapefruit and orange, along with passion fruit, guava, papaya, banana and mango. The oat presence lends a bready sweetness that makes my mouth water.
    T: Damn delicious, and the citra undoubtedly shines. The perfect combo of citrus and tropical fruit flavor reminding me of pink starburst candy. The citrus flavor is most prevalent initially, but the tropical aspect kicks in towards the finish. Beginning is orange and grapefruit, while the finish is guava, passionfruit, mango, pineapple, papaya and oat flavor. Very low bitterness overall, making this a straight juice bomb. Aftertaste has a long life span, with lingering fruit sweetness and bready residual oat flavor. Hop presence is minimal, bar-none.
    F: Perfection to me. Soft, pillowy, smooth and outright heavenly. Carbonation resides somewhere between low to moderate, providing the slightest fizzle on the tongue. ABV is not detectible, allowing me to drink at a rate of 1 oz per minute.
    O: Second stellar IPA from Moonraker today, again topping my list of favorites from them. The feel honestly is the icing on the cake. Can't get enough of that pillowy goodness. Citra is a winning hop in the NEIPA category.

4.52/5 rDev +2%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

31. superspak

Society Trader

New Dark Horse Pumpkin/Cookie porter. This was fantastic! Lasting head retention/thick lacing. Aromas and flavors of huge milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, toffee, pumpkin, cookie dough, fudge, roasted nuts, and toasted dark bread; with lighter notes of vanilla, cream, licorice, dark fruit, smoke, charcoal, herbal, grass, pepper, pine, and yeast earthiness. Light-moderate pine, herbal, grassy, peppery hops; and roast/charcoal bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full body; very creamy, silky, velvety, bready malts; some sticky hops and chalky/char roast in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing lingering hop/char bitter dryness; no acrid/astringency. Super smooth, minimal warming 7%. Very rich body for the ABV. Amazing well rounded malt complexity, with balanced pumpkin, chocolate chip cookie flavors, and earthy hops against sweetness. Spot on American style porter. You can really taste the cookies! 4.28
    [​IMG]

Cheers

32. zid

zid Meyvn (1,263) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

[​IMG]

Bunker - Don't Look Back

This IPA is hazy, apricot in color, and full bodied. Tastes of overripe papaya, sweet orange marmalade, leafy bitterness, and woody tree sap. There's nothing really negative about it (except perhaps it's volume... or it's indistinguishability), but it's also made me decide to stop buying these big Bunker IPAs. There are many songs that could appropriately pair with this IPA's name, but I've decided on this one despite the poor video quality:

Bob Dylan would have been a more iconic choice though... which reminds me: @rgordon and @TongoRad - there's a fabulous documentary on PBS right now called Rumble that's about the Native American influence on modern music. It's a must watch.

33. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,858) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Nice- thanks for the tip! I'll have to see if I can DVR it. And with that title you just had to figure that Link Wray plays a central role in it :sunglasses:. Rumble is indeed iconic, but I always had more of a thing for his 70s output:

ETA:
    you also could have gone with Pere Ubu :wink:

but I'll never turn down a chance to watch Tosh and Mick again.

LeRose, Ozzylizard, FFFjunkie and 9 others like this.
  34. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,091) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

But Mick has those Rudy Giuliani eyes! Great song.

35. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Glad to see you over on NBS lately, Doc! :slight_smile:

Especially knowing of your extensive hand-written notes. Definitely looking forward to more new beer thoughts from you.

36. Blackop555

Blackop555 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan

You would be correct in the strawberry rhubarb sour.i figured you'd get it

37. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Sometimes “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.” :slight_smile:

Ozzylizard, FFFjunkie, scream and 4 others like this.
  38. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,091) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Link Wray is a North Carolina native and is remarkable. This piece sent along by@keomoarps a good while back is a piece of my life. For the longest time we thought Redbone was a southern beach music group....until we saw them at a few festivals and had our heads straightened out.

#118 rgordon, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  39. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,504) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I like reading your blind reviews. They’re really excellent reviews and it’s fun to guess the style based on your impressions of the beer. Yes, I do that! It’s called a lurking beer review. Cheers!

cjgiant, FFFjunkie, MacMalt and 3 others like this.
  40. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Whew, ready for my fourth - and almost certainly - final new beer of the day. And I'm accidentally continuing my trend of BA stout - funky saison - BA stout - funky saison -BA stout. What can I say; I fucking love patterns (and literally can't walk to work without obeying them, so ..... yuuuup, totally normal here).

I managed to pick up a couple of bottles of GI BCBS Bramble Rye on Friday, what I think is the last variant from 2018 I have yet to try (outside of Rare or Prop, which I've never had from any year and don't even consider in the lineup at this point).

[​IMG]

Well, to summarize: blackberries and raspberries. Seriously.

On the nose, on the palate, it makes no difference. I honestly can't tell this was aged in rye whiskey vice bourbon, because the tart berry influence is so strong.

And it's not unpleasant! To be clear; it's quite nice, especially if you enjoyed brews like Founders Lizard of Koz (@superspak ). But damned if it doesn't mostly overwhelm all the other wonderful flavors that surely lie underneath.

I'm curious if this brew will mellow out over age, allowing more chocolate and roasty tones to emerge. Worth a try - and I have a second.

Review below:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/78050/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.25 / -2.3%

Cheers and good night, NBS friends and family!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.