1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

New Beer Sunday (Week 734)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,613) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

I went to a small New England school for college. If they drew 1000 people for a football game, it was a crowd. Medical school was also in New England, a smallish university. Again, sparse crowds for sporting events (except hockey). After med school I did my training at the University of Florida, and I started to learn about big time college sports. Football was king and they filled a stadium of 75,000. This little New England boy was astounded. After three years in Gainesville, I went to the University of Oklahoma for an additional year of training. This was the heyday of the Big 8 Conference, and Oklahoma and Nebraska were the stars. I attended the 1977 game between OU and Nebraska. The winner of the game would receive an invitation to the Orange Bowl. Oklahoma dominated that day and the field was littered with oranges. The post-game parties were insane! I spent the next 10 years in Columbia, South Carolina. The Gamecocks, with a few exceptions, didn’t compete that well in athletics, but they had die-hard supporters. The football stadium at the time had a capacity of 85,000. The upper decks would move as the crowd jumped and cheered, leading to the motto, “If they ain’t swayin’, we ain’t playin’”. Thirty some years ago I moved back to New England and small-time college sports. The professional sports rule the area. For the past several months I have made New Mexico my home. We live in a college town (New Mexico State University), but so far the Aggies haven’t piqued my interest. They do have a decent basketball team which should make it to March Madness.

All this reminiscing has made me thirsty. Join me for a new beer. Tell me about its appearance, aroma, taste, mouthfeel, and give your overall impression in the New Beer Sunday thread.

Cheers!

2. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Devotee (475) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Happy New Beer Sunday!

Thanks for the start @lordofthewiens

And today's new beer is from Brooklyn NY.

Other Half Nelson Daydream

It features what they consider "Hand Select" Nelson hops and goes through their famous Oat-Cream treatment.

This is the base beer and not the DDH version which is kinda cool becasue it leads to a more elegant and nuanced experience thats both refreshing and delightful while still being very hop forward.

Beer drinks very smooth and creamy. Theres a soft hop bitterness to this one but it all blends so well with the Oats and "Cream" aspects of the beer to create a more streamlined drinking experience.

Big fan of this one!

Cheers!
    [​IMG]

3. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Devotee (475) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Next new brew also from Other Half.

It's a collaboration between Foam and Other Half called Mouth Full of Diamonds(8% abv).

In addition to the Nelson hops form the last brew, this one features an addition and aggressive dosage of Galaxy hops.

Also this one does Not go through their Oat Cream Treatment like the other brew did.

Nor do I see any mention of DDH on the label.

This beer It's a excellent expression of yeast and galaxy hops. Soft in it's execution but delicately nuanced with complexities.

Another win for Other Half and Foam.

Cheers!
    [​IMG]

4. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (756) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Society Trader

In from work enjoying one courtesy of @Vidblain. Not only a ND tick(my first) but pretty tasty one to boot!

Pours a hazy golden orange which produced a finger of white head after a rigorous pour.
    Initial crack of the can hit me with grassy, resinous notes that I quite enjoy. Not quite as pungent after the pour but the resinous notes are still there along with a bit of citus.
    Taste follows, grassy, piney, bit of bitter citrus lingers. A touch sweet but still pretty well balanced.
    Medium to full bodied, smooth, well carbed.
    Overall a pretty dang tasty one from these guys.

5. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (781) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

Love when this beautiful thread starts in the witching hour while I’m still conjuring. My favorite uncle who took me to swim lessons as a kid ended up moving to South Carolina when I was 9. He taught art at USC and I had all sorts of Gamecocks garb when I was little. Wore one shirt in PE so much I remember being referred to as ‘cock boy’ by a couple ‘bullies’ (that’s what they are called now) who I later in life befriended through the conduits of sharing booze and pot as a teenager. Who says drugs are a one way dead end street. Anyway, he and his wife still live in Greenville but they are visiting here this summer as I’m finally enough of a grown ass adult to have a spare bedroom with a queen size bed in a real house to accommodate family. Life goal checked off the bucket list. Anyway here’s a beer....

Stickee Monkee is my favorite Firestone BA brew, so seeing it as the front runner I had to get this one. These blends are always a bit thin, my only knock. Pours like an under carbonated soda. Smells and tastes like decadent chocolate bourbon soaked grape juice. Big notes of spicy rum with a hint of gin underlying. Great blend but Stickee Monkee and XX are still my favorites with Parabola in a close third. Overall 4.5 range.

Cheers New BSers. Happy St.Patty’s day. If you need me I’ll be at the boy’s 10th birthday party at the trampoline park later. His actual birthday was Thursday but my 100% Irish grandfather Donald James Cannon, of whom Gabriel James Warren shares a middle name with, would be proud of him being born in the ballpark of his favorite holiday. R.I.P. grampa Jim. Purple Heart recipient in WWII.

[​IMG]

6. rgordon

rgordon Champion (892) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Your experience and mine are somewhat similar. I went to a fine and quaint southern college that taught us/me everything. I played basketball and had the best time of my life. My aunt Elizabeth from Birmingham married her next door neighbor from childhood. Uncle Jimmy was a Naval commander and my Mom, their old friend from next door also was working in Key West monitoring U-Boat activity in The Gulf....He got her the job. Fast forward to the 60s and Elizabeth and James live in Austin,Texas, have two boys,and work at The University of Texas. Uncle Jimmy was a noted economic thinker and a friend of Texas liberals.. But these Texans were so eaten up with football fervor, in the age of Darrell Royal, that every little thing related to The Longhorns. That old spirit is tough to quiet.

7. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (1,962) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Happy New Beer Sunday! I am a Bayern Munich fan. Got tickets for the European Champions League Final - Chelsea @ Munich. The result was not good , but, the beer and atmosphere were amazing. The Allianz arena was visibly shaking!

My new beer is Gggreennn! by TreeHouse Brewing

4.63/5 rDev +0.2%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Canned 3.14.19, poured into a Treehouse Teku glass 3.15.19

“ Magically delicious””

Hazy orange capped by a two finger off creamy white foam cap, active carbonation, sticky lacings

Aroma of pineapple, tangerine, guava, whiff of spicy pepper

Taste is pineapple, citrus, tangerine, guava

Good hop taste, hop nibble not a bite, smooth, not creamy, but smooth

Great beer, repeatable

8. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,755) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: German Pilsner

Mornin’ NBSers, and an alert for fans of unfiltered German Pilsners. Also a thanks to @lordofthewiens for his start off today.

The weather here today is expected to be mostly sunny and clear with a high in the mid to upper 40s. Perfect day to wander the yard and start developing the “honey do” list of outside chores that will probably include a bit of cleaning up the yard, a couple of house maintenance chores and at least deciding on spring gardening/plantings, etc. Also, at some point soon, we’ve got to get that garage cleaned out a bit. Just too much unused stuff set aside in there for “just in case,” that has been in there unused for too many years now.

This morning’s new beer is an unfiltered German Pilsner style beer from Brooklyn Brewing that is simply named Unfiltered.

My review, subject to revision until the beer is finished or until breakfast is ready to eat, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45/392100/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors of this beer are grassy and bready with some floral character and some spiciness. The grassy bitterness is more forward than the bready sweetness and the medium length finish involves the bitterness being left to slowly fade away in the back of the palate. Definitely a drinkable, enjoyable beer that is clean, crisp and refreshing. Wish I had another in the fridge to refill the glass with. (Hmmm, when I get back from the gym I may do just that.)

Cheers, all!

#8 drtth, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,855) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Do you have a favorite beer cocktail with bourbon?

There recently was discussion in a BA thread about ‘producing’ a Bourbon Barrel Aged (BBA) Imperial Stout by simply mixing some bourbon with a ‘regular’ Imperial Stout. I personally have never done this but could it be as simple as that? Just buy a bottle of bourbon and an Imperial Stout and make your own BBA Imperial Stout? Any success stories y’all can share here?

Which brings us to today’s beer of Round Guys Messenger Russian Imperial Stout Bourbon Barrel Aged. Needless to say this was brewed the ‘hard way’. I am able to discuss this beer due to the generosity of a benefactor who gifted me this beer.

Round Guys is a small, local brewery in my area which is not too far away from me but not exactly close either – l have not visited the brewery (yet). They have been open 7 years so given the context of so many new small, local breweries opening up lately they are one of the more ‘mature’ small, local breweries of the area. When they first opened in 2012 I had a few of their brands on draft and those beers were a real mixed bag: some well brewed brands but also some brands had technical brewing flaws. I am hopeful that after 7 years of business the ‘kinks’ have been worked out.

So, let’s see how a BBA RIS brewed the ‘hard way’ tastes.

Served in my Spiegelau Stout glass:

Appearance:

Black with a three finger off-white head which stands up firm.

Aroma:

Substantial aroma of cocoa but there is a notable vanilla smell as well. As the beer opens up there is just a hint of alcohol present.

Taste:

The flavor pretty much very much follows the nose. The combination of cocoa and vanilla is there but also bourbon-like flavors as well in the background. Just a hint of sweetness. There is a moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Medium-full bodied with a very creamy mouthfeel.

Overall:

This beer is very good. The complex flavor profile was enjoyable and I found the creamy mouthfeel to be enticing.

@rotsaruch @RobH @KOP_Beer_OUtlet

[​IMG]

10. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,707) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’ve done the beer and bourbon, and it’s good if you like bourbon. But even a little bit goes a long way and in any way does it resemble a BA Stout. IMO it’s a long way from the delicate influences of barrel aging.

kemoarps, JayWhitson, MacMalt and 8 others like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,855) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Dale, that would be my expectation. Maybe someday I will have to run an exBEERiment here. Perhaps a cocktail of Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout and some Makers Mark. How much bourbon would you recommend? Maybe ¼ of a shot?

Cheers!

kemoarps, woemad, MacMalt and 4 others like this.
  12. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,120) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy Sunday, NBS crew! I counted 9 different Revision brews in my bottle shop yesterday. Not sure how we’re getting these so quickly, but I’ll take it!

Citra City - Revision
    NE IPA - 8.5% abv
    Canned 2/13/19 (32 days ago)
    Purchased for $6.59 at Monde Market
    Score: 4 (-4.3% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48813/372739/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    I love how Revision handles lactose. Rather than the Other Half “dump in all the sugar” approach, Revision employs a more subtle addition, resulting in only a small amount of additional sweetness. Because of this, Citra hop bitterness and flavor are the stars here, as it should be. Points off for huge, ugly floaties and a lacking body, but still a very pleasing ipa.

13. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,543) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I have to agree with you. My first attempts were almost undrinkable because I used too much bourbon. @jzeilinger seems to do this well.

kemoarps, woemad, MacMalt and 2 others like this.
  14. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,110) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Well, the corned beef is in the slow cooker. Today will be an all Irish beer day (well, one is a MN beer, but it has Irish in the name, at least).

But, as I sit here enjoying my morning coffee (actual coffee, home-ground from organic coffee beans, fair trade and all that crap :wink:), it is still too early for me to open a beer (except for the Guinness Extra Stout sacrificed to the slow cooker!).

I expect I'll hold off for another hour or so before I open a Guinness to drink. I've never had the Extra Stout before, so I'm looking forward to it, and to comparing it (in my memory) to the Guinness Draught I had last year.

15. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,613) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] Poured into a 13 oz Dragon’s Milk tulip glass not sure when it was canned but recent. Pours a slick near pitch black with a 2 finger light brown head that leaves plenty of webby lace behind with excellent retention. 4.5

Smell is toasted coconut, cocoa nibs, rich dry coffee, and hints of vanilla beans. One dimensional but extremely nice! 4.5

Taste follows coconut doesn’t over whelm, cocoa, coffee, and vanilla simple and amazingly tasty and rich. 4.5

Mouthfeel is bigger than average, moderate carbonation, a touch dry as you would expect, and at 9% ABV no alcohol present. 4.5

Overall this is just a crazy tasty stout, not sure what the 2 other people that reviewed this wanted but seriously a tasty stout that is rich, slightly chewy, and crazy tasty. 4.5

16. Roguer

Roguer Site Editor (3,913) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Good morning, NBS friends and family, and thanks for the intro, doc! I love small towns, and have an incredible fondness for New England from my time spent up there (over a decade, in total).

However, I grew up in the opposite of a small town. My high school had over 4,000 students at a time; my undergrad had over 40,000 split among four campuses. I hate big cities with a passion.

Anyway, time for some beer! I realized earlier this week that I was completely out of hops, and decided to rectify that in a big way. They're all new to me, so I've been waiting to dig in until today. They all also have anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks of age, so while they're not bursting-from-the-vine-fresh, there should be nothing wrong with them at this point.

First on the docket is Mind Body Light Sound by Foreign Objects - a brewery that you will be seeing a few times from me on this thread today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rating Appearance for a NE-IPA can be difficult. On the one hand, there is rating to style. On the second hand, there is a very subjective comeliness factor (simply put: does it aesthetically appeal to you, like a painting, regardless of more objective guidelines?). On an alien third hand, shouldn't floaties and sediment - as opposed to just haze or opacity - always be a detriment?

For me personally, that third factor will normally bring a beer's appearance down. Couple that with this beer's OK-but-certainly-not-great head production, and you have an overall OK appearance.

The aroma is very inviting, and certainly speaks to the Galaxy hops: bright herbs and juices abound.

The Mosaic has more of an impact on the palate, which could be a function of drinking this at the 6 week mark. The bright oregano and mint from the nose are largely gone, and the huge tropical tones dominate, along with tinges of citrus at the edges and a mild-to-moderate dankness (more prominent on first sip, but settling in nicely). The big malt bill is also prominent, with plenty of sweetness.

The mouthfeel is certainly outstanding. This is one of the few brewers outside of New England to recognize that NE-IPA is about more than just opacity and haze. It's soft and creamy, showing absolutely none of the 8% ABV, and while a touch of liveliness would do well to balance it out more, it's a wonderful feel overall, and perfectly true to style.

Full review below:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/50313/322883/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.12 / -2.8%

Very, very good brew overall, and a joy to drink. Cheers!

17. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (1,947) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good morning NBS and thanks @lordofthewiens for the start today, I have lived in WMass all my life,love to visit cities, always love to be back in the Pioneer Valley. Todays offering is from our good friends at Suarez Family Brewing. I have had Palantine Pils before, today however is the unfiltered Qualify Pils, Delicate with plenty of nuance.Quite a treat.
    From this French Canadian to all you Irish have a great day!!
    Slainte'

Qualify Pils

Suarez Family Brewery
    German Pilsner / 5.50% ABV

4.38/5 rDev +4% | Score: 4.21
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can dated 1/23/19 into the Pilsner glass
    A - Goldenrod, lemon color, beautiful clarity early pour, then the unfiltered content shifts towards a thin cirrus haze, Carbonation is deliberate and and orderly. A white froth to start, lacing for the rest of the experience.
    S - Soft grain, rising bread, lemon/honey spread. some wheat grass, all blend with a floral thread that is just lovely.
    T - The nose sets things up, the depth of grain flavors are wonderful. Again with biscuit, tiny bits of lemon zest, gentle touch of grassy hops.
    M - Start is semi sweet, a nice change of gears mid palate with a bitter nudge to center, dry finish is pitch perfect, lingering on the palate is a balanced delight.
    O - A delight in each aspect, gentle on the palate, wonderful texture, floral and refined nose.

18. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,966) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Thanks @lordofthewiens for the great start to this weeks NBS. Will be back with a new brew later on.

Cheers!

19. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Meyvn (1,096) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Happy St. Patrick's day everyone

..wake up dead nitro from left hand
    ...solid black appearance
    ...medium light carbonation that seems to be holding up and not dissipating. Above average body with a slick,smooth oily feel
    ...aroma is roasted malt,espresso, licorice, black coffee, earthy with a little char
    ..taste is bitter,roasted malts,espresso and some licorice. It's way more bitter than the aroma hinted at
    ...overall a great body and aroma with the taste being good but maybe too bitter. I think the bitterness is coming from hops and not a roasted coffee flavor so it struck me as off a bit[​IMG]

20. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,122) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Well, it's day 4 of The Great Puppy Happening where our German Shepherd gave birth to 10 pups. Of course that meant lining my bathroom with comfy blankets and turning it into a nursery. I have the door open and a baby gate installed so I can keep an eye on things. Of course when their eyes open and they start roaming they are small enough to walk through the slats so things should get interesting. Anyway, we've been up for hours and it's time for a beer . . .

[​IMG]

Clear amber gold color with good white cap and lacing.

Aroma of good malt, touch of caramel and citrus hops.

Taste on entry is malt forward with slightly citrus hops following. Malt really is the main player here but hops sing loud enough to be heard and actually carry the melody. I keep searching for a bit of pine in the hops because there just seems to be a bit of that in there but still didn't find any identifiably pine presence in the taste. The hops actually strike me as more European as in the Noble varieties. Whatever they are the hops are clean, bright and add just the right high notes to accent the malt nicely.

Medium full texture with balancing carbonation.

I thought for sure I'd reviewed this before, was surprised to find I hadn't, and now am glad I have.

21. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

New beer #2. Thanks @Dragginballs76 ! Had to add this one to the db.

Good Night Nobody - Bhramari
    BBA Stout - 8.43% abv
    Canned 2/1/19
    Score: 4.08 (0% rDev - 1st review)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/44765/404307/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    Boozy nose, but the taste is more balanced. Lots of coconut and chocolate. Quite an easy drinker, which is surprising for a BA stout. Looking forward to trying more from these guys. Thanks again Mike!

22. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

I was positive rDev on that one, but very much understand your critique. My can was 2-3 weeks old, and had close to zero sweetness. Guessing the additional weeks on your can allowed the dry hops to fade and bring the malts out more.

Looking forward to seeing what other FO brews you’re drinking today! They’re one of my favorites, but are shelfies here (alas).

23. Roguer

Society Trader

-rDev doesn't mean much with me (like @beertunes who is an even tougher grader than I). Above a 4.00 means I think it's a fantastic overall brew, hands down, and the -rDev shouldn't be seen as a negative mark for the brew.

I agree that with a fresher can, I might have liked it even more, especially with my love of Galaxy hops, and knowing how much Mosaic changes over the weeks. Cheers!

24. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

Ditto on the Galaxy love. That’s actually the #1 thing on my wishlist now! Any Galaxy-hopped ipa I want to try. Several from Hop Butcher are particularly appealing.

RedhawkPoke, MacMalt and FFFjunkie like this.
  25. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,414) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Yep, you can always add more bourbon, so I recommend starting with a light touch. Coat the inside of the glass and let a few millimeters pool at the bottom; then add the beer on top. That’s usually enough to notice the bourbon without overpowering the base beer if you’re not already drunk. You can add more from there. As @nc41 said, it’s still not gonna be as smooth or complex as barrel aging — but it can still be enjoyable.

kemoarps, JayWhitson, MacMalt and 5 others like this.
  26. Roguer

Society Trader

As @CanConPhilly "requested" (:wink:), here's new brew number two: Foreign Objects Death Posture.

[​IMG]
    With leftovers!

I can't help but compare this brew to its predecessor on this New Beer Sunday, FO Mind Body Light Sound. That seems to be a good way to go here.

Much better head production and retention on this FO NE-DIPA. The floaties are, if anything, even worse, but overall this is a better looking beer.

The aroma is more subdued, by far, and is a little disappointing in that regard; mild notes of citrus and honey, and equally vague bright herbs.

The palate is quite the change-up, however - or, rather, like moving from the change-up to the fastball! Immediately bursting with flavor upon the tongue. It's mostly bright and fruity, and the flavors aren't as cleanly separated as in many other IPAs, instead becoming a melange of orange, lemon, papaya, and honeyed cracker. Less malt presence than in MBLS. Lesser tones of melon, berries, and mango lead to a grapefruit and mint leaf finish.

The mouthfeel is also improved: while it's still creamy and smooth, there is a noticeably greater liveliness that just makes this a joy to drink. Superb mouthfeel.

Man, this one really knocked my socks off! It's not the best NE-DIPA I've had, and it's lacking in subtelty and depth, but overall I'm enjoying it tremendously. Full review below:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/50313/338332/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.18 / +3.2%

Cheers, NBSers! Two more IPAs (yet another FO, too), and one Gose left for "new" beers today.

27. Roguer

Society Trader

I've many times proclaimed being a "sucker" for Galaxy hops. I'm pretty sure it all started with Proclamation's single hop APA series (Derivative). That single-hopped Galaxy APA, clocking in at 6% ABV but tasting like a DIPA, really highlighted what I love in that hop.

28. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

I’ve had that Galaxy-hopped Proclamation on my wishlist for several years. I’ve actually never had anything from Proclamation, but I’ve heard others praising it too. Fuck I love lower-abv ipas that taste like dipas. Wheelhouse. :hugging:

29. Roguer

Society Trader

They're a bit of a hidden gem in RI. They also do some sours, but for my money, their Derivative series was way ahead of its time.

kemoarps, MacMalt, FFFjunkie and 2 others like this.
  30. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,692) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

At Rustico

[​IMG]

Equilibrium MC2
    A-Pours a hazy golden color with a nice head head and lacing
    A-Aroma has mango and hop hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a mango and hop flavor
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A decent NEIPA

31. VABA

[​IMG]

Firestone Walker XXII

A-Pours a very nice clear dark amber color with a slight head head and lacing
    A-Aroma has Run and gin hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a Rum and gin flavor
    M-A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
    O-A decent BA beer

32. VABA

[​IMG]

Aslin Sorbet

A-Pours a hazy golden color with a nice head head and lacing
    A-Aroma has citrus, vanilla and hop hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a citrus, vanilla and hop flavor
    O-A decent IIPA

33. VABA

[​IMG]
    JW Lees Cask Harvest Ale

A-Pours a hazy amber color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has sweet grain hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a sweet grain flavor
    O-A nice Barleywine

34. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,218) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Slaint! Not 100% sure what that means but I see it whenever I’m in an Irish bar.

So in honor of the day I am opening this NBS with an Irish Red from Center of the Universe

Bald Irishman Red Ale

[​IMG]

3.64/5 rDev +13.4%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A fizzy off white head quickly disappears, leaving just a bit of fizz on top. Great color, somewhere between red and orange and a bit cloudy. Nose starts out with a little cherry before a lit grassiness pulls in. Taste opens up with a corny, hay thing before a hint of caramel appears. Upon exit there’s just a touch of tart. Finally, a hint of alcohol. Thin and watery with virtually no aftertaste to speak of.

35. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

New beer #3. Advertised as Tired Hands’ “Triple Oated, Triple Lactosed, Triple Fruited, Triple Dry-Hopped IPA”

Are We Okay? - Tired Hands
    TIPA - 10.7% abv
    Purchased for $25/4 at Tired Hands
    Canned 3/1/19 (16 days ago)
    Score: 4.13 (-5.5% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28383/307703/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    If tasted blind I would have guessed this was a sour ipa. Passionfruit puree + sour lime combine to create notiveable tartness. Triple dry-hopping isn’t notiveable, but the triple fruit and triple lactose are prominent. I don’t love this, but it hides its booze well, and if you approach it as a “weird Tired Hands experiment”, it succeeds.

36. nc41

Trader

I would think 1/4 ounce would be a good place to start, but it’ll still taste like a Boilermaker I bet. I like it that way but I like my bourbon too, I don’t know that I’d use a real expensive bourbon, I’d use a very basic Jim Beam at that.

kemoarps, ovaltine, FFFjunkie and 2 others like this.
  37. MNAle

The aroma of the corned beef slow cooking in Guinness Extra Stout fills the house... can't put it off any more...

Guinness Extra Stout
    ABV 5.6%
    IBU 47
    [​IMG]
    Tall milk chocolate thick, creamy head with good retention and leaving lots of lacing above a deep, dark body (ruby through a back light). No nitro creaminess in this one, and not as gorgeous looking as the Draught, but a good looking beer nonetheless.

Aroma is dark malts, roasted coffee, a lightly sweet dark fruit aroma in there, too - perhaps vanilla as well, earthy hops.

Roasted malts with the slightly sweet vanilla with a touch of dark fruit, transitioning to a nicely bitter, dry finish and aftertaste. Roastier than the Draught version; greater contribution to the taste from the malts is to be expected with the higher ABV.

More substantial body compared with the Draught; again, no surprise. Still, the body is on the thin side.

Smooth and very enjoyable. Noticeably better than Guinness Draught - more complexity to the taste and aroma, (although I still wouldn't describe it as "complex"), better feel, just not quite as good a looker - but nothing really compares to the nitro cascade after pouring the Draught into a Guinness Gravity Glass!

L: 4.25
    S: 3.75
    T: 3.75
    F: 3.5
    O: 3.75

Computes to a BA rating of 3.76, or pretty much the consensus rating here on BA.

#37 MNAle, Mar 17, 2019
  38. nc41

Trader

Great idea on coating the glass it’ll still be very noticeable I’m sure.

kemoarps, FFFjunkie and thebeers like this.
  39. MNAle

Literally, it means "health." Functionally, its English equivalent is "cheers".

#39 MNAle, Mar 17, 2019
  40. eppCOS

eppCOS Champion (801) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Oh, wait... I do have a new beer for NBS, later. Has to pair with chocolate cake. :wink:

larryi86, VABA and FFFjunkie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.