New Beer Sunday (Week 746)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,852) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Haha sadly, I had a hand-crafted label (as usual), but while this beer survived the UPS disaster, it absorbed some damage. The aluminum foil seemed like the best way to go to get it to you intact and quickly, and as you can see, the label didn't really survive.

Glad you enjoyed it!

2. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,629) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

Or Xata, a Blonde Ale brewed with rice, cinnamon, vanilla and lactose by American brewery The Bruery (7.1% ABV)

Pours a clear, golden amber coloration with a medium, fluffy head. Smell is quite unique, dominated by sweet'ish, biscuity, grainy malt and cinnamon and vanilla, with the cinnamon standing out particularly.

Taste follows the nose, with sweet'ish biscuity, grainy and slightly caramelly malts and cinnamon and vanilla absolutely dominating and very little hops coming through, although there is mild estery yeast presence to this as well, with hints of apple and clove/nutmeg. Finishes semi-dry, with a light sweetness and some cinnamon and vanilla lingering in the aftertaste. Soft mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

I never had Horchata, but this kinda reminds me of cinnamon rice pudding, especially the aroma, which goes in kind of a similar direction, I think. Anyway, while this is a rather unusual brew, there definitely is a great balance of sweetness and spicyness going on here, which lends a sweet character to this that never becomes cloying through, even finishing somewhat semi-dry. I'm not really a huge fan of cinnamon-heavy beers and this generally isn't particularly to my taste, but I still enjoyed it well enough due to its uniqueness and good balance.

3. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Good afternoon and happy New Bing Sunday, BAs. Been a hectic week at the new position again. Stressful, intimidating, challenging. But ultimately rewarding. Not much going on here. Nice weather, gardening, chasing the psycho kids around, then off to a birthday party in a few. But first...

Cascade Brewing
    Kriek
    (2017)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A deep dried blood red with auburn and chestnut highlights bordering the clean body towards the browner side of the spectrum. It would be still looking if it weren't for the few rising bubbles hopelessly devoted to supporting some kind of cap above, but a failed attempt nonetheless.

Sweet and sour cherries clearly and proudly display themselves front and center with a mouthwatering acidity. Deep red wine, oak barrel and all shine from withing. A touch of pepper and damp mulch linger in the end.

Wow, this thing tastes like straight sour grape and cherry Fun Dip. I think the puckering powdery tartness not only exemplifies the feel, but must be considered a flavor to this beast as well. As it warms, oak certainly comes through.

Feel?... See above. Add some strong tannins, an initial slickness, a wood stripping acidic drying tartness,and almost no carbonation, and viola. There you have it.

This is a sour to compete with the most of sours. Delicious, well executed, but so friggin intense like most of the offerings I've had the pleasure of enjoying. Certainly not for the faint of heart.

After my official review, I gave Kriek a rating of 4.28 with an rDev of+1.2%.

Cheers.

4. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey

Damn, you had both Naughty and Nice by lunchtime! When was your nap??

5. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Next up is, surprisingly, my third new can of the day (@woodychandler would no doubt approve!). I'm looking forward to this one, for a number of reasons:

1) Scofflaw. 'Nuff said.
    2) "Tropical Wheat." It would seem they aren't trying to brew a German Hefe here, and are instead going for a full out hoppy American wheat ale.

I'm not saying that's a perfect style by any means, but I muuuuuch prefer a brewer calls a beer what it is - instead of, saying, double dry hopping a hybrid ale with Mosaic and then calling it a Kölsch. If you're going to brew a traditional style, then make it traditional, FFS!

Anyway, let's get to it!

[​IMG]

Sure enough, this beer nails it. It's got a juicy, brightly hoppy, tropical, and slightly tangy profile, very similar to their Basement IPA, it turns out. The wheat adds a wonderful smoothness and heft to the lively body.

This is exactly what a hoppy American wheat ale should be: not an imitation of a Hefe, but something all its own.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/46938/352706/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.84 / -0.4%

Cheers!

6. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,683) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBS
    I'm ticking a new country with a beer I couldn't pass on.
    [​IMG]
    My review:
    11.2oz undated bottle poured into shaker pint glass at fridge temp 5.4% ABV. The beer pours barely hazy in a dull light golden yellow color. The head builds to about an inch on a hard pour and recedes to single layer of off white bubbles. No lacing. The aroma offers little, maybe a touch of yeast and pale malt. The taste is barely sweet pale malt up front with mild tea flavor coming through mid to late palate. Very low bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, very good. This is a very nice and refreshing lager with no brewing flaws and a pleasant use of tea (with or in place of hops?).

I wanted more background than the label provides, so I found this information on B. United's website:
    Jasmine Tea Lager is a lager that uses Jasmine Tea produced in Guangxi province. Each tea leaf is roasted with fresh Jasmine flowers at least six times in order to get the optimum amount of aroma, while adding fresh jasmine flowers to each roasting cycle. The tea is then brewed at a medium temperature for hours to extract the tea flavor but with minimal tannin extract, which adds to the final beer’s richness. The overall tea flavor on the beer is mild as to complement the lager quality of the beer, making this a very easy to drinking & refreshing beer.

Thanks for the opening @lordofthewiens. It's a very different world than what I grew up in. I can remember explaining to people in college that I had around 50 aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, second cousins and great aunts & uncles within 5 miles of where I grew up. Moving to the next county was like moving cross country. My parents (in their 60's) haven’t made the 5 hour car trip to where I live with my wife and kids in 4 years because it's "just too far." On the other hand, I can see my wife and I going just about anywhere if my kids don't return here after college (I'm encouraging them not to!). Time will tell, but the adventure should be interesting.

Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass!

7. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,640) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Good Sunday afternoon, New Beer Samplers and commentators. It's a gorgeous Sunday afternoon in North Jersey: golden sunshine, blue skies, low humidity, and a nice breeze. It's more like September than June. Today's review is The Stone Raft, a Belgian Fruit Lambic brewed by The Referend Bier Blendery in Pennington, NJ. I'll admit, it's taken me a long time to appreciate wild ales but visiting The Referend several times recently has really helped. They brew only spontaneously fermented beers - mostly Lambics, Berliner Weisses, and Saisons. The Stone Raft is a blend of young and old spontaneously fermented golden ale, refermented with peaches, cherries, and plums, then refermented again in the bottle with local cranberry honey. It opens up as it breathes in the glass and you can taste the various stone fruits. It's refreshing and highly flavorful. Here's my review:

4.49/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2018 release. Bottled on 1/18/2019 and released in May 2019. Poured into a Referend cylindrical glass. It pours a hazy, golden honey color with lots of effervescence. The head faded very quickly. It's fragrant nose includes lots of stone fruit: cherry, peach, plum, oak, and the unique funky smell of a spontaneously fermented ale. It opens highly tart and fruity. I can really taste the fresh peach; the other stone fruit is more in the background but becomes more evident as the glass warms. In particular, the cherry really opens up; ripe and fairly sweet. In fact, the longer the ale breathes in the glass the sweeter it becomes. This is in part due to the refermentation with cranberry honey. There are also notes of oak and whole grain wheat that remind me of a Triscuit cracker. This ale is crisp and dry with lively carbonation. The 7.1% ABV gives it nice substance without being overly strong. Overall, The Stone Raft is really exquisite. It's highly flavorful but quite delicate and the tastes evolve through the pour as the temperature changes. I never thought I'd enjoy a Belgian Fruit Lambic this much! Sip it casually outdoors with some good cheese.

I hope you're all enjoying your new beer(s) today. I'm having a good time reading your reviews. Cheers!

8. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,640) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'm glad you're enjoying your new home. It's been interesting following your transition from Maine to New Mexico. What an amazing country this is!

9. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,938) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

On to a big beer...Saint Arnold's 25th Anniversary Grand Cru. 11.1% ABV.

Saint Arnold had their big Anniversary party yesterday (I think today is a ticketed private tasting at the brewery as well). I went for the 20th Anniversary. A good time at a great brewery, but I have had my fill of waiting in lines and crowds so I just got a bottle and have hit a few tap takeovers at other bars around town.

Anyway, this is a bourbon barrel blend of the following beers they have done in the past:
    50% Belgian-Style Quadrupel
    25% Russian Imperial Stout
    25% English-Style Barleywine

Pours a near opaque brown color. A small beige head forms, but sticks around as a cap throughout. Not much lace, but I can see alcoholic "legs" crawling down the glass (on close inspection). Huge bourbon and barrel notes. Wood and vanilla. Chocolate, amazing baked bread, dark fruits. A full body with higher carbonation than you would typically expect for such a beer. Though Saint Arnold does always tend to be higher in carbonation than most. This does smooths out as it breaths and warms however. Big alcohol presents of coarse, but much more warming than say a fusel alcohol. An excellent sipper. I love Saint Arnold, and glad to be able to drink this for their anniversary. Anybody that likes the Firestone Walker blended anniversary beers should like this just as much. Overall score 4.34. Review below:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/337/420656/?ba=champ103#review
    [​IMG]

10. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

NBS beer #1

[​IMG]

Queen Connie

Fiddlehead Brewing Company
    American Brut IPA / 6.80% ABV

3.79/5 rDev 0% | Score: 3.77
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L- The beer pours a hazy yellow orange. The head is a fluffy pillow of white several inches high. I had to pour it in segments to avert disaster. The head lingers still as I write this. Legs of lacing ring the glass as a pile of mousse like foam still remains.
    S-The nose is sweetish orange mixed with lemon and a touch of mustiness.
    T- The beer starts with a much lighter amount of sweetness. This quickly transitions to grapefruit pith of moderate intensity. The beer finishes lightly bitter and dry with a combination of the pith and mustiness.
    F-Mouthfeel overall is on the lighter side of medium. Carbonation is likewise light medium. The flavors give the beer some dryness, but I wouldn't consider it even moderately dry.
    O- A fair representation of the style in all but clarity. It's worth a purchase if you like Brut IPA's, but it's not going to knock anyone's socks off.

11. Jimmy_Kneecaps

Jimmy_Kneecaps Aspirant (269) Sep 19, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

This is a side by side I have been wanting to do for a while, couple months at least. Both beers were served at the same temp and stores in the same conditions. Both beers are also the exact same ABV. Although I have no idea when either was bottled I think both are within a year.

It’s Hoppin Frog’s BORIS the crusher and barrel aged Boris (aged in whiskey barrels)

Both beers are identical in appearance, thick, black, oily with dark tan colored head. Regular Boris had a little more head production and retention than the barrel aged version. (Edge goes to the OG)

Aroma in the OG is chocolatey with espresso and pine notes. The barrel aged version has whisky, vanilla, dark chocolate, brownie, and fudge notes with only a hint of pine WAAAAAY in the back. (barrel aged is the clear winner here)

Taste in the OG has a small milk chocolate glimpse before the piney and earthy hops hit and take over. Espresso comes in during the middle and stays through the milk chocolate finish. Taste on the barrel aged is a quick hit of whiskey followed quickly with vanilla, bitter dark chocolate, fudge brownie, and espresso. It’s decadent and smooth with just a sight warming when it goes down. (again barrel aged is head and shoulders above the OG)

Mouthfeel on the OG is thinner than expected, but a solid medium, maybe a little more. Oily and dry finish. The barrel aged version is completely different. Much more full and chewy with the same oily dry finish. (BA gets the nod again)

Overall I greatly enjoyed both but the barrel aging does wonders for the base beer here. Clearly I enjoyed the BA version more, but that doesn’t detract from the fact that both are excellently crafted stouts!

12. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,184) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

@Mrstiffington. sadly I did need a short nap. Between working this morning, high abv,and couldn't hold my liquor I crashed for 30 minutes

13. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,075) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I'm on the deck enjoying this beautiful beer to go with this beautiful day. @superspak beat me to adding this to the database, which I appreciate since I still can't figure out how to add photos to an entry. But I have the first review. :wink:

[​IMG]

The beer pours a deep, thin brown with a quick, fizzy head and no lacing.

The smell is lacto with huge notes of chocolate raspberry. The vanilla is there, but subtle.

The taste starts with slightly sour oak. The raspberry and chocolate come through nicely in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium body and slightly fizzy.

Overall this is a very subtle and complex beer. It's not overall sour, allowing the flavors to come through nicely.

14. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (996) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Right along here NBS players. This next beer comes from another great ba known as @ovaltine.

My second new beer today is A Ton Load - Citra, iipa, from Bare Hands brewing. The brew checks in at 8% abv and no canning date. Also, my first ever beer from the brewery.

A murky yellow color on the pour with a frothy white head. The nose is ripe with citrus. Rather hop forward on the initial sips with lots of plush and soft citrus notes. Crazy smooth on the flow and rather absent of bitter. Big time fruit notes of grapefruit, mango, orange, lemon, and grape. A moderate mouth feel and body that holds up well and does a great job of not being sweet.

Overall, pretty nice hop juice. I'm in the low 4's here. Thanks a bunch Mike.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,523) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Good afternoon from Vancouver Island. I'll be hanging out here for the next 6 weeks, so look for a few Canadian NBS posts. I am not complaining about the view (from last night):

[​IMG]

Today's new beer is La Maison, a wild saison from Four Winds out of Delta, BC. Poured from fridge temp. Pours a really nice light yellow with white head. A bit murky on appearance. Nose is really refreshing. Wheat, slight citrus peel, grass, lemon, and a bit of spice. Taste is fantastic. A bit sweet upfront - a tropical fruit kind of sweet. This is matched by a rustic leathery background taste, with earthy notes (grass, wheat, tree sap) and a pepper-like spice. Mouthfeel is pretty light and dry, as expected. Overall, a really nice saison.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,693) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass canned recent with a finger plus, sticky white head hazy as heck dark yellow leaving a thin layer of webby lace as it slowly settles. 4.5

Smell is guava, pineapple, apricot, mandarin, and hints of grapefruit. Yes 4.75

Taste follows guava, tangerine, apricot, pineapple, and some grapefruit bitterness but very subtle. 4.75

Mouthfeel is big, sticky not dry, soft gentle carbonation, and at 9.5% goes down insanely easy. 4.5

Overall this is a serious wow beer for me, the 9.5% hides so well and you literally beg for the next sip. Juicy! Citra, Topaz, and Simcoe hang out like old college roommates at a bar near the beach, insanely good. 4.5

17. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,847) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

summer weather in New England means heading to the beach

Nauset lighthouse by Trillium

4.23/5 rDev +4.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Can poured into a teku glass

Canned 5 28 19, opened 6 1 19

Hazy orange liquid, two finger white foam cap , good retentions, settles to a ring and some lacings

Fragrant pour, citrus orange, tangerine, mango, pineapple

Taste is slightly sweet, orange, mango

Medium sudsing, dry finish

Good beer

18. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,540) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Good evening NBS, hope everyone is enjoying the end of the weekend once again. Thanks to @lordofthewiens for this week's introduction. Another typical weekend for me. Got a couple nice beer hauls today and yesterday. Still visiting the local breweries for prowler fills. Still have plenty more I haven't visited too. #8600 will be this week. Also my #2000th MI state beer according to the advanced stat charts. Usual clean up of site edit queue all weekend, and I am still not finished.

Beer:

Outstanding blonde ale. Fantastic fluffy head retention/thick foamy lacing. Crystal clarity. Aromas and flavors of big lemon, orange, honey, cracker, white bread dough, toasted biscuit malts; with lighter notes of peach, pear, melon, red apple, herbal, floral, wood, grass, pepper, and yeast earthiness. Light herbal, floral, woody, grassy, peppery bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation, light-medium body, and fairly crisp/clean finishing. Creamy, bready, grainy malts/honey; some sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing bitter dryness; no cloying/astringency. Very flavorful/refreshing, not watery for 5%. Awesome balance between clean/nicely rich pale malts and citrus/floral honey complexity; with solid earthy Nugget hop presence/balance, and restrained fruity yeast. Mild residual sweetness with crisp dryness. One of the best standard American blondes I've had in a long time. Glad I got the 6 pack as expected. 4.18
    [​IMG]

Cheers

19. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,515) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

Are you me? And do we live in the same place?:stuck_out_tongue:

20. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Sort of. Minor in Linguistics. Only 1 days's drive away rather than 3-4...:sunglasses:

21. TheDoctor

Society Trader

Every BORIS variant I've had has been excellent. Its a really well put-together beer. RIP to your liver, though hahaha

22. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,763) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

Bruery Mischief

A-Pours an Amber color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has citrus, resin, fruit and spice hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with citrus, resin, fruit and spice flavors
    M-A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
    O-A good Belgian Strong Pale Ale

23. srw

srw Defender (610) Mar 25, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Von Trapp's Pilsner
    [​IMG]
    An aggressive pour yields about two fingers of foamy white head. that fades slowly leaving nice lacing around the glass. Hazy yellow golden in color. 4/5 The nose is grass, lemon peel, with some cracker malt notes. 4/5 Taste is more grassy lemon flavors with some bitterness and a nice crisp finish that lingers.4/5 Light-medium body and carbonation. 3.75/5 Overall a nice pilsner. 4/5 for a BA generated 3.98/5

24. TheDoctor

Society Trader

Scarily similar/accurate. It's always nice to meet fellow people with linguistics backgrounds!

drtth, Premo88 and FFFjunkie like this.
  25. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,629) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

85 Triple IPA, a TIPA by English brewery Brew By Numbers (10% ABV).

Pours a hazy golden amber coloration with a medium, fluffy head. Smells of biscuity malt and muddled tropical/citrus hops: mango, pineapple, grapefruit, with hints of pine and herbal dankness.

Tastes of biscuity, caramel malt and quite hoppy tropical/citrus notes of mango, pineapple and grapefruit that feel somewhat muddled because of the huge booziness of this though, with some herbal accents and pine coming through as well. Finishes quite boozy, with a medium bitterness and some tropical notes and pine lingering in the aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel with a rich body and medium carbonation.

This is just incredibly boozy and kinda reminds me more of one of those tropical liqueurs than a beer. While there are some nice tropical/citrus notes to it, the extreme booziness just completely ruins this for me, I've had other TIPAs that did a much better job of hiding their ABV.

26. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (332) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

As a few may know I have been refraining from IPAs/DIPAs for a bit for a few reasons but occasionally I just want something hoppy so yesterday I mixed a six with half being hoppy beers. This doesn't count because it was before midnight but it was new to me so I will mention: Lagunitas Super Cluster. I have seen it around and was aware of it but never bothered trying but glad I did, liked it more than I thought that I would.

Now these two definitely do count, as they went with dinner earlier: first up was Wyndridge Farm Brewing Endless Horizon IPA , 6.4% and 60 IBUs, 16 oz canned on 5/2/19. Farm Made in PA on the label so I said what the heck. WOW was this one good! As soon as I opened the can I could smell the juice and it looked like OJ. The taste was very nice and it contained many fruity notes but had the bitterness to keep it interesting, would gladly drink this one again.

Next was D9 Hakuna Matata Tropical IPA, 16 oz can best buy 11/17/19. I was not a fan of this and it was too old school for me, tropical with the caramel notes that for my palate just clash too much, I didn't finish this one. But if you are a fan of the old school IPAs you may dig this one.

27. Jimmy_Kneecaps

Jimmy_Kneecaps Aspirant (269) Sep 19, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

It’s crazy how much the base changes when put in the barrel. I actually have a few more hoppin frog beers to review, but not today!

28. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Breaking away from the can theme, and going with something rather big, and which has been on my radar for quite some time: Uncle Jacob's Stout by Avery.

[​IMG]

This is a 2018 bottle, with 16 months on it and clocking in at 15.9%. And hoo boy, it's one hell of a beer!

The aroma greets you from the pour, implying booze-soaked chocolate bananas. As it sits in the glass, the nose really gains some depth, matched only by its presentation on the palate.

This beast is like the unholy lust child between World Wide Stout and Bourbon County Brand Stout: huuuuge, boozy, and with a strong barrel influence matched only by the massive malt base. It takes a lot for a BBA imperial stout to blow me away; Avery has now done it twice (first with Tweak, and now here).

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30/80197/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.57 / +3.4%

Cheers!

29. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,051) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Late afternoon here in the upper midwest. A hot and windy Saturday has given way to a cool windy Sunday, threatening to rain, but never quite delivering on the threat, beyond a few sprinkles.

Today's beer is
    Bell's I: Song of Myself (Leaves of Grass Series)
    ABV: 6.5%
    IBU: NA

Bell's is an outstanding brewery, and their occasional diversions into classical music or literary themes is an interesting aspect of their personality. Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass is the unifying theme of this series.

Leaves of Grass
    is a collection of poetry that is not just one thing. The collection grouped under this title grew throughout Whitman's life. The first edition was little more than a booklet of 12 unnamed poems. The final edition contained nearly 400 poems.

It is also suggested that the title is a pun. "Leaves" is the term for pages of printed literary works, and "grass" was a publisher's term for something insignificant.

Song of Myself is the title given to the first of the unnamed poems in the first edition of Leaves of Grass. There has been plenty written about this poem, to anyone interested. It has been called the greatest American poem. It has also been called a lot worse.

Anyway, on to the first beer of this series.

[​IMG]

Grassy, crackery, and mildly citrus aroma.

Tall, white, thick, and creamy head. Yellow-gold cloudy color with plenty of rising bubbles. Head leaves a thick, sticky lacing as it slowly recedes

Feel is a moderate to thin, some body on the tongue.

You can definitely taste the hops, citrus: orange, grapefruit, grassy, with cracker malts behind, and a moderate to strong bitter middle and finish. The bitter aftertaste lingers.

A very interesting beer; a mix of German flavors with an American IPA character.

Well done, well balanced, and different enough to be intriguing. Get it while it is still available. Strongly recommended.

L: 3.75 | S: 3.75 | T: 4.25 | F: 3.5 | O: 3.75 | BA: 3.93 | Estimated rDev: +2%

30. TheDoctor

Society Trader

I'm back with another one. Hopefully this one hits the spot more than the previous one did. This one's outside what I normally seek out and regularly drink, but is a style I do enjoy from a brewery I like,so I have high hopes. A Gose from Vrooden.
    [​IMG]
    It pours pretty murky with very short-lived head. Meh. The aroma hits you with strong floral funk, sage, coriander. The flavor follows with light tartness, a rich full-but-light-on-its-feet malt character, lime; there is a lovely little tingle and a touch of saltiness at the finish. It is very easy to drink and refreshing, active carbonation. This is a very nice beer. It is not the most attractive but is very nicely balanced and refreshing while still being a little substantive. Very enjoyable and great for a hot day.

Just sunbathing here with my drinking buddy (one of them at least) before starting dinner.
    [​IMG]
    Santé!

31. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,246) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

Summer Vacation has begun. Time to NBS.

Warm, sunny weather has given way to rain and mild temps. Not to fear, the weekend has been full of graduation parties, fire pits, and youth sports.

Today’s brew feels like a throwback to the gateway beers of the mid-90’s (I’m so old)!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/96291/?ba=GRPunk#review

Bell's Sparkle Berry

16 oz. can ($3.70 from Copper Vine) pkgd 051719, poured into a Bell's Nonic pint

A- The body is a clean, deep red-pink that shows moderate carbonation. The head is pinkish and a bubbly 1/2 finger before it settles to a light film. Bubbles continually break the surface. Light rings and spots are left on the glass.

S- A mix of sugary sweet and tart. Lots of raspberry. Seems pretty natural, like a raspberry juice cocktail. Some underlying bready malts are apparent. You really have to dig for any hint of booze. Almost sherbet-like.

T- All sorts of raspberry. It starts sweet and melds into a really (pleasantly) tart finish. It really doesn't change much from start to finish. If you like raspberries, and I do, this beer's for you. It almost loses the "beer" quality, but not quite.

M- Lots of carbonation. Very tart and dry finish, just short of puckering. The ABV is well hidden. Medium body overall.

O- Brewed for "K-zoo Pride," Bell's can be proud of this brew. Super fruity, sweet and tart. A pint is probably the right serving. This would have been a gateway type of beer for me some 25 years ago. Just short of too fruity (dangerously close at the end of a pint). Good warm weather, thirst quencher.

A- 3.75 S-4 T-3.5 M-4 O-3.75[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#71 GRPunk, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  32. superspak

Society Trader

Sour Michelada. This should be interesting. Excellent stuff. Poor head retention/no lacing. Aromas and flavors of big tart/sour lemon, lime, orange, citrus peel/zest, peach, pear, melon, red/green apple, white grape/wine, coriander, sea salt, peppercorn, chili peppers, Tabasco, hay, straw, and grass; with some wheat, cracker, white bready malts; light musty/lacto funk and yeast earthiness. Light-moderate fruity/lactic tart/sourness; light coriander, chili pepper, Brett spiciness on the finish. Medium-plus carbonation, light-medium body, and moderately crisp/clean finishing. Balanced grainy wheat, lactic acid, fruit tang, some salinity, and light sticky spice in the mouthfeel. Moderate increasing acidic/tangy/carbonated dryness. No pucker. Zero warming 5%, mild increasing pepper heat after the finish. Very smooth, flavorful, pretty refreshing, not overly lactic/salty. I was expecting some tomatoes/garlic etc, but definitely none of that going on. This is basically just a uniquely spiced citrus gose, but they did a damn good job. Not overwhelming on peppers. Would buy again. Great balance of vibrant citrus, Brett/Lacto complexity, and salt/spices; with a solid pale/wheat malt backbone against acidity. Zero residual sweetness with crisp acidic dryness. 4
    [​IMG]

Cheers

This is just one of those bands you can listen to for the rest of your life. This album is one of the best Prog Melodeath albums ever made.

33. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,999) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

34. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,804) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

@lordofthewiens have you developed a Green Chile addiction yet? I pretty much pick one up prior to going there. A Green Chille Burger is superb IMHO, but not on your diet if memory serves me. I put that stuff on anything I want add some zip to. The military sent to all the Garden Spots there; Socorro, Elephant Butte & Holloman AFB. I was living up in Colorado at the time, so didn't see a ton of difference other than lack of altitude & heat. Still a cool place to visit. That Museum at White Sands Missile Range is cool & I still haven't visited the Trinity site.

2beerdogs, superspak, drtth and 7 others like this.
  35. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,804) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Deschutes Black Butte XXX; 4.13 Overall. Maybe if I cranked my AC up it would've scored higher? Summer is creeping in here. Mid 80s with like humidty

Pours an effervescent & ruddy Mahogany with one finger of mocha colored head. Average lacing & below average head retention

S: Dark fruit, boozeyness once warm

T: Figs, a little charred grain, caramel & oaky booze up front. Dark chocolate, oaky dryness, caramel & a touch of mint as this warms & a little vanilla as warms. Finishes with oaky dryness, a little caramel & boozey figs

MF: Medium body, fairly firm carbonation

A very nice iteration, that conceals its considerable heft. Will probably age well, might pick some up if I see it again

36. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

NBS beer #2

[​IMG]

Martin Wasp

Fiddlehead Brewing Company
    Bohemian Pilsener / 4.80% ABV

4.09/5 rDev 0% | Score: 3.92
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L- The beer pours clear and golden straw in color. The head is pure white foam of about 3 fingers in height. The head eventually recedes to a thick ring leaving patchy lacing in it's wake.
    S- The nose is pilsner malt, floral hops, and just a hint of sulfur.
    T- This is a pilsner. The malt presence is absolutely beautiful. The noble hops ride out and just crest over the malt leading to a superbly drinkable balance.
    F- Mouthfeel overall is light. Carbonation is light medium. The beer leans just barely towards a dry finish.
    O-This beer is basically everything I want in a pilsner. It's not quite as hoppy as Von Trapp, Pivo, or prima but for me I'm loving it. Recommended.

37. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,246) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

Trying to figure out the picture insert again...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

38. superspak

Society Trader

Fantastic wet hopped IPA as expected. Lasting rocky head retention/thick foamy lacing. Aromas and flavors of huge tangerine, red grapefruit, lemon, lime, peach, pear, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, mango, honeydew melon, blueberry, gooseberry, citrus peel/rind, wood, peppercorn, and pine hops; with moderate wheat, cracker, biscuit dough malts; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel/rind, herbal, floral, woody, grassy, peppery bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body, and fairly crisp finishing. Balanced creamy/bready/grainy malts, sticky hops, and some resins/rinds in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing bitter dryness, no hop astringency. Very smooth, not overly aggressive, minimal warming 7.4%. Amazing Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic profile. Extremely juicy, vibrant, and fairly dank/earthy hops; with a great balancing bready malt backbone. Minimal residual sweetness with crisp resin dryness. Another easy winner from Lagunitas, will buy a 2nd pack. The hop bill is everything I love. 4.23
    [​IMG]

Cheers

39. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,964) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

My weekend begins with a new beer brought to me today at work by my friend Rob, who lives down in the Mad River Valley.

thttps://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17980/421162/

[​IMG]

16 oz. can.
    Canned 06/07/19.
    Moderate pour yields a one inch white head over a slightly hazy, golden body with some sticky lacing. Nose of peach, tropical fruit, slight citrus, and even slighter pine resin. Taste of slight tropical fruit, candied orange, and pine with a finish of pine resin bitterness. Nice feel and overall, sorry hazebois, no juice bomb here! Another tasty offering from Waitsfield, VT and would have again. Cheers!

40. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,190) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I'm happy to rejoin NBS after several busy out-of-town weekends recently! We've had off and on T-storms all weekend which has caused some chaos for the CMA attendees and bachelorettes, but have brought some welcome cooler temps for the rest of us. I'm just hoping that they go away long enough for Vandy to punch their ticket to the CWS next week!
    Today's new beer is courtesy of @zekeman17. As far as I know, this is my first can-conditioned beer. Thanks, Jeff, for both the beer and also the proper glassware!
    [​IMG]

On the initial pour, prior to pouring the yeast in, this was a mildly hazy golden color with a large and frothy white head. Great foam retention as expected from a Saison. A nice spicy aroma with peppercorns and lemon grass along with dough and faint floral elements. The taste followed nicely. Lots of lemon and lemongrass on the palate along with black peppercorns, lavender, flour, and white bread. Dry and clean on the finish. Carbonation was bright but not as high as I would expect in most bottle conditioned seasons. Overall, a delicious beer. Thanks, Jeff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.