New Beer Sunday (Week 746)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,435) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Greetings, NBS friends, and thank you to @lordofthewiens for the introductory salvo. I’ve been to New Mexico once, and it is as he describes. I don’t think I could live there and work, but I’m pretty sure I could retire there. Little O is the variable - if he sticks around Minneapolis (which I think is very likely), Mrs O will want to be in that general vicinity.

So I’ll be back to Surly and Schell’s. Can you say, “Yes, please?”

I have a couple beers today, the first is from a brewery I first discovered when Mrs O purchased a “Beer Of The Month” membership a few years ago. This is decidedly better than anything I received from that membership.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.04/5 rDev +4.9%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a very hazy grapefruit color with a white head that clings to the glass like fuzzies to Velcro as you drink the beer. The can advertises dank, and there is truth in advertising with this beer, because dank notes (primarily grapefruit and pineapple, with room for juicy tangerines as well) dominate the nose and the taste.

If this beer had a little more balance courtesy of a malt component, it would approach world class for me because of my appreciation for the Citra hop. Even without the malt, this is still imminently quaffable.

Yes, I went there. Can’t help it - Citra hops take me to my happy place.

2. mkh012

mkh012 Crusader (782) May 7, 2015 Colorado

Other Half - Triple Citra Daydream
    10.50% Triple IPA
    Canned 05/29

[​IMG]

I'm usually skeptical of triple IPAs but decided to split a 4-pack with a friend. This is a beast of a beer...

The look is glowing hazy orange with a finger of off-white head (4.5)

The nose is peach, pineapple, orange, and dank hops. Somewhat muted for the ABV (4.25)

The taste, however, is not muted at all. Huge pineapple and mango juice with subtle sweet booze on the backend. Hints of banana, coconut, and vanilla. This definitely has a boozy kick, but it's actually welcomed. More of a warming liqueur depth than heat. I'll probably hold onto can #2 for another couple weeks and see if it's smoother, but it's already very good (4.5)

The mouthfeel opens silky and near-full before wispy booze peaks through on the backend. A really deft use of lactose, and that's not a sentence I say often (4.5)

Overall, pretty awesome for what it is - a new-school hop explosion. Despite the ABV, I could drink more right now (4.5) - 4.44 rDev -2%

3. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,520) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Waited a whole year for this to become rotating. Did not see it last year. This was outstanding! Lasting rocky head retention/thick foamy lacing. Aromas and flavors of huge juicy, lightly tart/tangy pineapples, coconut, fruit skin, lemon, lime, orange, peach, pear, melon, apricot, red apple yeast; with moderate wheat, cracker, white bread dough, light honeyed malts; light clove, peppercorn, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Light herbal, floral, grassy bitterness; peppery yeast spiciness; and fruit tang/tartness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body, and fairly crisp/clean finishing. Very creamy/grainy wheat; some sticky hops, and fruit tang/acids in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing acidic/tangy dryness; no cloying/pucker. Super smooth/soft/refreshing, no warmth of 5.5%. Amazing balance of juicy/jammy fruit and American wheat yeast complexity; with a great balanced pale/wheat malt backbone. Mild earthy hops. Minimal residual sweetness from crisp acidic fruit dryness. Count me in for a full 4 pack. Another perfect beer for summer. Amazing for the style. 4.18
    [​IMG]

Cheers

4. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,435) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

#2, this massive beer is a fantastic way to close NBS for me. See you all at the Mas Agave share next week.

PS: glassware courtesy of our friend @beertunes. I love this glass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.38/5 rDev +0.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours black with a late-appearing tan head that fades away pretty quickly. There’s some leakage to mahogany on the edges edges, which surprised me a bit for a beer this big (16.8% ABV).

What didn’t surprise me was the preponderance of plum on the nose, along with dark chocolate - and booze. Oh yes, booze.

The plum is forward on the taste, which is expected. What is not expected is the exuberance of the dark chocolate to join the party and indeed take the lead for a bit before the booze reappears to close things down.

The mouthfeel is in the range you’d expect for this beer, I just wish the booze was a smidge less prominent. If it was, this would be a Top 10 beer for me.

5. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,530) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

We are enjoying fantastic weather in the kingdom. Seventies during the day, little humidity, sixties overnight. Garden finally planted, first mowing of the lawn completed... Really glorious weather. We best enjoy it since it definitely won't last.

My wife and I are closing in on retirement so I certainly appreciate @lordofthewiens opening post. We have no idea where we are headed. Ironically, we both enjoy Maine, but I have pointed out visiting and vacationing differs significantly from residing. We likely aren't going anywhere, but are thinking a getaway home is a good thing.

Tonight's glass:

[​IMG]

Vitamin Sea Due North. India Pale Ale. The pour was not what I expected, thinking this may be more old school or West coast. It isn't...looks like pineapple juice. Sticky foam head doesn't last. Strong fruit aroma, pineapple and grapefruit, then some orange and tangerine. Pleasant. Definitely a blended citrus beer. Clearly identifiable pineapple, grapefruit, grapefruit peel, then milder orange and tangerines notes. Kinda nice bitterness level that helps reset the palate. Smooth and silky feeling, Just a bit of citrus oil tingle on the back end. Feelng this is 3.8 to 4.0 territory.

Soooooo...the NEIPA hasn't really been my jam. But I like this concoction. Both beers I have liked from Vitamin Sea have been this style. Am I being beaten into submission? Kidnapped and brainwashed? Are artificial barriers and prejudices being broken down? Or maybe I just appreciate a nice beer regardless of style. Hmmm...

Cheers and I hope you enjoy whatever is in your glass.

6. Jimmy_Kneecaps

Jimmy_Kneecaps Aspirant (269) Sep 19, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

I just bought one of those. You think I should sit on it for a month or 12?

drtth, AyatollahGold and FFFjunkie like this.
  7. superspak

Society Trader

Unfortunately my giant Polyphemus Moth friend I saw this morning is dying. I saw him outside barely able to fly or walk, kept falling on his back. I picked him up, but it's obvious he is out of energy. :slight_frown:

HOMES Sour DIPA - Aversa Riviera. This was fantastic. Great fluffy head retention/spotty foamy lacing. Aromas and flavors of big juicy/tart/sour lemon, lime, orange, red grapefruit, citrus peel/zest, peach, pear, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, coconut, mango, honeydew melon, guava, blueberry, turmeric, and light pepper/pine hops; with moderate vanilla, cream, wheat, cracker, white bread dough malts; lighter notes of hay, straw, herbal, floral, grass, lacto funk, and yeast earthiness. Light fruity/lactic tartness; herbal, floral, grassy bitterness; and turmeric spiciness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body, fairly crisp finishing. Very creamy, silky, grainy malts/vanilla; some lactic acid, fruit tang, and sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing acidic/tangy dryness. No pucker/astringency. Refreshing smooth/soft, not overly lactic, zero warming 7.6%. Amazing Mosaic profile. Super juicy/vibrant hops/citrus/coconut, and lacto complexity; with a great vanilla, and pale/wheat malt backbone. Minimal residual sweetness with crisp acidic/tangy fruit dryness. Amazing for the style. 4.25
    [​IMG]

Cheers

8. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

A rare #3 NBS beer

[​IMG]

Feegee Mermaid

Fiddlehead Brewing Company
    Belgian Witbier / 5.20% ABV

3.84/5 rDev 0% | Score: 3.79
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L- The beer pours a hazy yellow with a big cap of white foam. The head is made up of small uniform bubbles which recede to a thin ring leaving irregular lacing.
    S-Wheat must, some banana, and some faint guava.
    T-This is a classic witbier with some subtle guava undertones. The wheat still drives the bus. The orange peel and coriander mix with this fairly well. The guava seems to be strongest in the lingering aftertaste.
    F-Mouthfeel overall is medium. Carbonation seems light for the style leaving the beer feeling heavier than might be desirable in hot weather.
    O-A pretty decent fruited witbier. Perhaps a bit heavy for warm weather drinking, but flavorful and to style. Worth a shot if your in the mood for something different.

VABA, FFFjunkie, beerloserLI and 21 others like this.
  9. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,046) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Off Color Dino S'mores, 10.5% ABV, 40 IBU. Pours blackish with a slight brown ring of foam. Nose is graham and moleasses, taste follows with little sweetness, and moderate bitterness. No alcohol taste, but also no roast marshmallow. Feel is a bit over-carbonated for my taste, overall very good to excellent, but as a stout - not as a S'mores stout. I had wanted to try this for some time, having heard how good it is, and liking S'mores beers. It was a bit disappointing - have had better.

3.98/5 rDev -3.6%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

[​IMG]

VABA, FFFjunkie, beerloserLI and 21 others like this.
  10. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,871) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Old friend stopped by on his way home with a surprise!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23639/317209/

[​IMG]

500 ml. bottle.
    Limited release August, 2018.
    Moderate to vigorous pour yields a 1/2 inch white head over a slightly hazy, pinkish-golden body with no lacing. Nose of slight funk, cherry pit, slight cherry, and slight oak. Taste of sour cherry first, then lemon as it warms, with vinous finish. Good feel and overall, a pretty decent brettanomyces sour. Cheers!

11. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,437) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Hello New Beer Sunday!!!

Tanks to our wonderful starter @lordofthewiens . I'm happy your move has been so good for you, and your better half. I'm very seriously considering moving away from Minnesota someday, maybe in the next few years. It's time for a change. I guess after, almost, 46 years here, I'm due.

Now, on to the beer.
    [​IMG]
    Fulton Brewing Cacao War & Peace. The can says it clocks in at 9.5%, instead of the 8.6% listed in the listing.

This is a pretty heavy hitter, though a bit lighter body than I was expecting. That being said, it's a damn good Imperial Stout.

Review:

4.21/5 rDev -1.6%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pitch black color. 1 finger tan head that has quite amazing retention for a high ABV beer. There's some lacing on the glass as the head dissipates.
    The nose is coffee up front. I also do get hints of chocolate.
    Taste - There's coffee, and I taste it throughout, but it's not overpowering. I get a nice hint of chocolate and vanilla in this beer. There's also a hint of bitterness that does linger in my palate, that's pleasing.
    A bit lighter bodied than I was expecting, however, not watery in the least. There's a bit of smoothness to this beer.
    Damn tasty Imperial coffee stout.

I'll see if I've got one more in me after this. I'm tired after a long weekend at work, and looking forward to an even longer week next week, plus an early doctors appointment tomorrow to confirm what my doctor thinks is going on with me, which isn't a major issue.

Cheers to the beers.

VABA, EMH73, FFFjunkie and 23 others like this.
  12. superspak

Society Trader

BBA Wizard Potion. 2017 vintage. This was fantastic. Lasting rocky head retention/thick foamy lacing. Aromas and flavors of big milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, toffee, vanilla, bourbon, coconut, toasted oak, biscuit, and dark/brown bread/crust; with lighter notes of licorice, raisin, prune, fig, date, smoke, charcoal, leather, tobacco, herbal, grass, pepper, and yeast earthiness. Slight booze in the aromas as it warms, but not overwhelming. Light herbal, grassy, pepper, roast, charred bitterness; and bourbon/oak tannin spiciness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full body; very creamy, silky, bready malts; some sticky hops, chalky roast, and bourbon/oak tannins in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing bitter/tannic dryness; no cloying, acrid, astringency. Dangerously smooth sipping, minimal warming 12.1%, zero lingering barrel booze. Fantastic balance between rich malts and bourbon barrel presence/integration; with solid earthy hops, and restrained fruity yeast. Light residual sweetness with lingering dryness. Highly impressive BBA stout. 4.23
    [​IMG]

Cheers, have a good night NBS

VABA, EMH73, FFFjunkie and 20 others like this.
  13. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,190) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Good luck!

14. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,871) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Now onto a beer from a new brewery in St. Albans, VT.; female owned and operated Mill River Brewing.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/50574/381536/

[​IMG]

4.12/5 rDev -1.2%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz. can.
    Moderate pour yields a 3/4 inch fleeting white head over a very hazy light straw colored body with scant lacing. Nose of citrus, tropical fruit, and slight pine with a bit of floral attributes as well. Taste of orange mostly with a finish of citrus pith bitterness. Good feel and overall, a nice little IPA from the women of St. Albans, VT. Cheers!

VABA, EMH73, FFFjunkie and 16 others like this.
  15. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: Flanders Red Ale

Evenin’ NBSers with a heads up for those who enjoy Belgian style beers,

This evening’s new beer is the Lost Abbey Red Poppy.

My review, pretty much finished, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18149/38530/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors are mostly about the tart cherries, some tannic astringency and a touch of vanilla. There’s also a bit of oak and a barely noticeable bit of malt sweetness. I’m enjoying this beer because of it’s complexity and would be pleased to try it again, but form me, even with the low ABV it is a one a night, once in a while sipping beer in part because of the astringency.

On the player tonight is a collection of songs by Loretta Lynn.

Cheers, all!

VABA, EMH73, FFFjunkie and 14 others like this.
  16. srw

srw Defender (610) Mar 25, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

DDH Space Daydream from Other Half
    [​IMG]
    L: 16 oz can poured into a radler glass. Pours a hazy yellow/orange color with a small foamy white head. As the heads fades it leaves some beautiful lacing around the glass. 4/5
    S: Tons of pineapple, mango and orange 4.25/5
    T: Similar to the nose, very pineapple foward with hints of vanilla that work well with the orange. Galaxy does it's thing here so if you like galaxy, you'll like this. Light bitterness that lingers on the tounge. 4.5/5
    F: Medium body and carbonation with a creamy smooth mouthfeel. 4.25/5
    O: Great IPA with the lactos and galaxy interacting nicely. 4.25/5 for a BA generated 4.34/5

VABA, mkh012, EMH73 and 20 others like this.
  17. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,437) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Well, I'm probably nuts, the last one went down stupid fast, considering the ABV, so I'm going to do one more. I wish I didn't get drunk so easily, and on the flip side, hung over so easily.

Oh, well.

[​IMG]
    Another new beer from the Fulton 4 coffee 4 pack - Coffee Doppelbock - 7.75% ABV.

A coffee doppelbock?

Yes, it works. The coffee is there, but slightly muted, but does add to the doppelbock, and it is tasty.

Review:

3.73/5 rDev +1.4%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very dark amber color. 1 finger off white head. Decent head retention, with minimal lacing on the glass as it dissipates.
    The nose is fairly light. There's really only the coffee coming across, but it's very muted. I also just get a slight pepper aroma.
    Taste - Up front I get a slight caramel flavor. This does linger. There's a bit of the coffee on the backside, but it's not strong, and somewhat muted.
    Body is pretty decent. There's a bit of a pop from the carbonation that lingers on my palate.
    A doppelbock infused with coffee actually does work. I like this.

Ok, that's it for tonight. I'll see you all next Sunday for the next NBS, where I'll likely, finish off the Fulton Coffee 4 pack.

Cheers!

VABA, EMH73, FFFjunkie and 18 others like this.
  18. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,615) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy New Odds & Sods Beer Sunday (Week 746) Update #2!

What a day, thus far! FIFA Women's World Cup, Bucs/Brewers & now, BOS/StL, potentially for Lord Stanley's cup.

I had a lay-down after which I regrouped & drank:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/98/405727/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    but now I wanted to catch up with Omnipollo with one thing leading to CANother, starting with:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25314/281124/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    CANtinuing with:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25314/361497/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    & wrapping up this excursion with a CANlaboration:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25314/241900/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    I returned to IL for an ILlin' Piña Colada:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/36757/407951/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    That may do it for today.

VABA, EMH73, FFFjunkie and 17 others like this.
  19. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,043) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

Wasn’t planning on another new beer tonight but it happened. It’s not such a bad thing.
    Opened this from a true BeerAdvocate although he’s not on here.
    [​IMG]
    Stovepipe can canned on 4/4/19 “PERKY BREWSTER” on the bottom of my can. Poured into a tulip glass.
    Pitch black, mocha colored and finely bubbled half inch of head. Spotty lacing on my glass.
    Raisin, smoke and ash, dark chocolate, heavy roast, light hint of vanilla on the nose. This is a big beer with a lot going on. First is dark chocolate and heavy roast. Following is dark roast coffee, burnt chocolate cake, vanilla, a lot of whiskey and wood. Moderate amount of heat present.
    Thick mouthfeel, creamy mouthfeel with just a bit too much carbonation for my tastes. It’s not enough for me to knock it down.
    Overall, this is a really tasty beer. I had higher hopes for it though. It seems a bit choppy and thrown together rather than other big adjunct barrel aged stouts. I have another can, I’ll let it age and see if that does anything to smooth out some of the heat and mellow the flavors.
    4.25 rDev 0%

VABA, EMH73, FFFjunkie and 24 others like this.
  20. deleted_user_1111368

deleted_user_1111368 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware

Good evening BA. I haven't been posting on the forums much lately.. I've taken it upon myself to "make BA more awesome" by updating breweries and brews when I'm online.

Anyway, back to the beer at hand. Below is a review of Pocket Wrench by Industrial Arts. I like it.. as it has good flavors throughout. A bit weak, but hey, it's a 4.5% beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
    Canned 5-13-19
    L: Pours straw colored and hazy. Weak head and lacing. 4.0
    S: Lemon, light orange and GF. 4.0
    T: Matches the smell. 4.0
    F: Watery, a little bitter, light carbonation. 3.75
    O: Another good representation of a session NEPA. The more of these I try, the more I'm thinking I might have some longer party days ahead with craft beer. 4.0

[​IMG]

Beer #2 is from Olde Mother Brewery in Frederick Md. I never had a beer from this brewery, but bought a 4 pack because they winked at me while walking down the aisle at a local store.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
    Canned 5-24-19
    L: Light honey color.. light head and little lacing. Particulates here and there.
    S: Evenly balanced between tropical and fruit. Dank.
    T: Hard to pick out specific flavors. I am getting mostly tropical, with fruit close behind.
    F: Oily.. light-medium pretty smooth MF. A little hop burn late.
    O: A very tasty beer. It's been done before, but it is still very good. The only negative I could pick out, would be the lingering mild hop burn. Looking forward to another!

[​IMG]

VABA, EMH73, FFFjunkie and 20 others like this.
  21. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,644) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Good evening, all, and Happy New Scottish Ale Sunday! Thanks to @lordofthewiens for today's opening. You have dust storms, we have tornadoes. Or so they say. The local CBS affiliate cut away from Rory's 59 quest this afternoon for a weather bulletin just after he hit his tee shot on 18. The NWS had issued tornado warnings, and of course the weather crew had to stay on the air showing radar images while Rory was finishing up his round. The thing is, there was no tornado - at least, not so you could tell. Seems they issue warnings based on rotation patterns shown on radar. Now, this might be a fine thing, I don't know. What I do know is that I ain't headin' for the basement based on radar images. I need to see cows flying first. :grimacing: Anyway, by the time I got the CBS Sports app downloaded and running, Rory was finishing up his post-round interview after carding a 61. Now beer: Stone's Throw Scottish Ale, from Fargo Brewing. You can't help but notice that this is the same color as a buckeye, with its glossy deep-brown body and its light tan head. :wink: Loads of caramel malt on the nose and palate, with only a hint of smokiness and char. There are also flavors and aromas of dried fruit (raisin, prune, black cherry). Restrained bitterness, a slightly silky mouthfeel with good carbonation, and a bit of tart fruit lingering on the finish. This seems to be a pretty good representation of the style, based on the description. Cheers!

[​IMG]

3.77/5 (rDev +5.6%)
    look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,658) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I'm glad you killed that Chocolate Rain with @Roguer and some others. BTW, your lineup looks glorious.
    Cheers

23. zid

zid Meyvn (1,265) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

[​IMG]

Bell’s - Leaves of Grass Series: I - Song of Myself

I'm coming very late to the thread today, but I plan on still hitting a bunch of beers tonight if my body doesn't decide to sleep instead. I wasn't planning on drinking this particular beer tonight, but when I saw @MNAle 's choice I had to switch gears. I love echoing another's beer choice, and as usual, I didn't read MNAle's post until after I wrote mine. His review definitely feels like the beer I drank.

In celebration of the 200th anniversary of the birth of Walt Whitman, Bell’s has kicked off their 7 part “Leaves of Grass” series with this beer. I am very much looking forward to the beers in this series as it allows Bell’s to stretch a bit… even though this first beer doesn’t feel like much of a stretch. I also like the locations of inspiration that Bell’s goes to since other brewers seem to be more drawn to pop culture for their references.

This beer is a “German-inspired American IPA.” That basically means that they used all German ingredients to brew an AIPA. I’ve seen variations on the concept a few times. It seems like an idea born out of necessity rather than real inspiration. Brewers feel the need to constantly come out with new novel IPAs… and German ingredients cut the mustard (pun intended). Beyond that, it’s hard to really see the attraction.

This beer is deeply hazy (as in genuinely hazy, not opaque). It still glows a pretty yellow. The first sip catches me off guard - it’s been a while since I’ve had an IPA this bitter. The body is rather full but a little too prickly in the mouth. Great lacing. This beer is bitter at every step of the sip and swallow. Herbal with a grassy finish, Underneath it all is the flavor of dried apricot (w/o the sweetness of it) and a subtle hint of mango and lemon. It’s a dry beer.

Despite the aggressiveness, this still feels like a very well put together beer. Lovers of modern IPA trends will probably dislike this beer, but there’s something special about it once you adjust yourself.

24. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Speaking of our prolific handshake tickmeister general @DoctorZombies , I just missed out on a chance to meet the legend today. He was on the other side of Los Angeles for me, and between his commitments, my commitments, and the whole time-space logistics thing, it didn't happen. One day. In the meantime, I like pondering who will be my next NBS handshake.

25. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

SIX WEEKS?!? Damn, I'm jealous. That's a beautiful part of the world there. And what a great time to be there.

26. zid

Trader

[​IMG]

Harpoon - One Hazy Summer

First off - this isn’t going to be a carefully considered or even mildly detailed review. The pic above is a product shot from the web. I had this beer earlier today while out, and I’m just going to give a brief and loose impression.

The brewer calls it a “New England pale ale.” I don’t feel like it’s very successful as either a “New England” inspired ale (even though it's Harpoon), or a 5.5% APA. Given what it’s aiming for, it’s surprisingly a chore to get through. I’ll be blunt. I’m sick of these ales that are designed to make the drinker think that they are getting a tropical juice explosion but all they are really getting is the taste of chalk and the feel of astringency diluting some fruity flavors. Putting this unpleasantness in a smaller framework amplifies everything wrong with it.

27. zid

Trader

[​IMG]

Berkshire Brewing Company - Inhopnito

I plan on featuring some Berkshire Brewing Company beers today. I have a soft spot for them and I tend to pick up their beers when I’m shopping in a state that gets them.

This beer is an opaque amber. There’s an unpleasant sweetness to it. The hops have a herbal contribution and provide a biter finish. A little bit of rotting fruit at the front end. It’s clumsy. This is a big step down from the Bell’s IPA.

28. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,007) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I'm glad you switched to start with this one. I enjoyed reading your take on it.

It does appear that I liked it more than you... Perhaps that comes from a broader experience on your end with AIPAs using German ingredients.

29. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,007) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

When we first moved to MN 20+ years ago, the town would sound the sirens at the least provocation. At first, we headed for the basement, like well-trained Pavlovians.

Eventually, though, I took to going outside at looking at the sky instead, and, seeing nothing, walking back inside to resume grumbling at the weather babes excitedly warning us all, going on and on with their pretty maps, not allowing me to return to what I was watching.

As a famous TV personality says, "It's not good, or correct, but it is one of the things that makes us who we are." (quote may not be exactly that, but it is close...)

30. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Hello Late Night NBS.
    We're heating up here. And I'm a little sad about that. You see, we've actually had a very springy spring here in SoCal. It truly has been a lush season for us. I got all the way to the last day of school without a seriously hot day. First time ever.
    I did enjoy a few hoppy offerings earlier today, but they didn't meet our criteria. So I'm having dessert now.
    Sir Thixa-lot by local brewery, Chapman Crafted, a pastry stout

Pours a deep, dark brown. Dense cocoa colored froth rises aggressively, breaching the rim. She's beautiful. The head repeats a bit, but holds her position with solid finger high fortifications. Eventually, like after minutes, it settles to solid cocoa ring that surrounds smatterings of tiny bubbled islands. Curtainy lacing gives way to a scattered, well-worn shag carpet crawl down the glass.
    Smell is inviting for sure. Chocolate, a nuttiness that moves toward malt powder, gentle vanilla, and a very smooth coffee roast.
    Flavors abound. Chocolate advances with support by caramel, dulce de leche, mild toasted coconut, and again that malt powder. But it's less sweet than your typical malt powder. Finally, I can glean hints of more traditional Imperial stout notes: hints of dark fruit, some roast, and an ever so understated earthiness.
    Mouthfeel is thick enough for style, mellow carbonation, with hints of fluffiness akin to a milk stout.
    Overall, this really hits for me. Sweet enough to close the evening out, but not cloying. A super solid offering.

4.18/5 rDev +3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

31. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (735) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

I was hoping to do a side by side with this one and the BA version courtesy of @Coronaeus today but with the little ones out of school for summer and Sunday being my only day off of work I spent the day with them doing some gold/gem mining.
    [​IMG]
    Pours a dark brown with two fingers of tan head.
    Smells of roasty malts and a bit of coffee.
    Taste follows with the roasty malts, coffee, but a little sweetness throw in as well.
    Medium to full body, good carb levels, creamy feel.
    Overall an excellent porter, looking forward to trying it's BA counterpart.

32. zid

Trader

[​IMG]

Berkshire Brewing Company - Long Daze

I bought two Berkshire Brewing Company bombers today. There’s a very good chance that these are old, old, old. They don’t seem to date their product. Oh well, it’s on them then.

This beer is a Hefeweizen. It’s amazing how few craft brewers are brewing this style of beer.

This beer is a surprisingly clear yellow. I don’t like to pour the yeast into my Hefes. This beer is more lemony than your average Hefe. There’s also banana and fresh baked white bread. Despite whatever age is on this bottle, the beer is quite nice.

33. zid

Trader

[​IMG]

Berkshire Brewing Company - Drayman’s Porter

This one is showing its age. This is an odd one. It’s very coffee-forward. It’s creamy and ashy. It’s a little savory, there’s some sweetness, and bitterness. If that sounds like a cacophony, then you’re not wrong. This is loud but admirable…. and it wears on you immediately but still leaves you wanting more. Thoroughly strange.

34. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,860) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Throw in some citrus hop aroma and you've pretty much described Pike XXXXX Stout, one of my fave brews :wink:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.