New Beer Sunday (Week 768)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,886) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Hard for me to believe, but I’ve been on Beer Advocate for almost fifteen years. Long enough that I can’t remember exactly why I joined, although it must have been to stay abreast of beer news and to be able to choose drinking places when I travelled. Whatever, it’s been a good marriage. I’ve been able to find beers to drink and places to visit.

The outstanding aspect, to me, of Beer Advocate has been what great people inhabit the site. Without exception, the people I have met, or corresponded with, or traded with, have been the epitome of friendliness. I’m not sure I ever would have met Chris Lively or visited his bar Ebenezer’s without Beer Advocate. I spent a wonderful Saturday afternoon with Chris in Lovell, Maine, drinking beer and talking. Without naming all the Beer Advocates I have met, they have, without exception, been great people I would love to share a pint with. Just this week I received a ninja box of beer from a Beer Advocate in California. I have never met him, but he took it upon himself to gift me some outstanding beers, totally unsolicited, and I am deeply appreciative. I think I will be a Beer Advocate for the rest of my life.

Before I get too saccharine, let me say now is the time and this is the place for you to try a new beer and to tell us about it. Tell us how it looks, how it smells, how it tastes, and how it feels in your mouth. Give us an overall impression of your new beer. Of course, pictures are always welcome (and encouraged).

Have a great Sunday!

Cheers!

LeRose, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 46 others like this.
  2. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (2,153) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society

If you’re in New Mexico, is it really Sunday already? Cause I’m in Illinois, and well....

3. joe1510

joe1510 Poo-Bah (3,623) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois

It is factually Sunday in New Mexico.

4. Amendm

Amendm Defender (610) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

[​IMG]

Well said (written) lordofthewiens, I accept your challenge.
    A slight disappointment but that's the way it goes.

3.14/5 rDev +3.6%
    look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

An easy pour from a 12-oz. can nets a finger of off-white creamy foam with long retention. Clear and light pale orange color with fine rising bubbles, golden yellow in bright light.

Pumpkin spice greets the nose with canned pumpkin in the background. Toasted wheat (Wheat Thins) and sweet malt merge with faint hops. A slight musty fruit smell sneaks in.

The taste mirrors the smell, semi-sweet and moderately spicy yet lightly bitter. Pumpkin taste leeds as sweet and toasted malt flavors keep things honest. The finish is quick and Lager-like, clean, almost crisp. That musty taste reappears during the aftertaste while spice lingers with pumpkin pie crust.

Light body with average carbonation, balanced and easy going down. There was no lasting lacing and that musty smell/taste doesn't belong.

#4 Amendm, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    LeRose, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 42 others like this.
  5. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,839) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

It's Sunday here in the Brazos Valley where the late shift is over and there's a new beer in my glass:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Prairie Artisan Ales' Basic Becky, imperial stout with pumpkin, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, coriander, clove and caraway, 11% ABV

At least a couple few of you have tried this one, and if I recall right I've seen slightly mixed reviews with everybody at least liking it? Something like that?

I'm in that ballpark, for I'm enjoying it fine. But this one suffers from Amadeus syndrome: too many notes. And that allspice ... I'm starting to think of allspice as the peated whisky of beer adjuncts — put one drop of that stuff in the mix and the whole batch tastes like it and nothing else. I'm exaggerating, but man is the allspice note strong in this one. Still, if you let the palate adjust, let the beer warm, a big yummy malt sweetness starts punching toe-to-toe with the earthier, dull kind of allspice flavor. Plus real pumpkin tastes kind of earthy and bland, so there's always a chance a beer with pumpkin in it will have that flavor ... this beer has that. What's cool is how that pumpkin flavor shows up in a sweet form as you get into the glass.

The official review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30356/438331/?ba=Premo88#review
    3.91 (-7.8% rDev)

I don't hate it, but it's a C+ compared to the brewery's BOMB!, which is easily an A+ by me. I've got a second one of these Basic Beckys stowed in my fridge, and I'll leave it there for at least a year. Normally, I like to drink beers with so many adjuncts as fresh as possible, but in this case, I'd like to see if the malt can overpower some of these spices.

Hope you find a good one to try for the first time today!

Cheers!

LeRose, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 43 others like this.
  6. Amendm

Amendm Defender (610) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

That looks so better than mine!

TongoRad, SawDog505, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  7. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Champion (888) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

Cheers NBSers. Just turned Sunday here, but time is relative. This beer is delicious.

Pours a thick jet black. Aroma is decadent. Flavors of an adult’s dream Halloween stash, maple, vanilla, caramel, bourbon, licorice. Mouthfeel is full, and an overall ‘as close as it gets to a 5’.

Would like to do a cuvée with the coffee variant, but that’s too expensive and could kill me on my own.

First pour was ‘then’
    [​IMG]

Second pour is ‘now’
    [​IMG]

LeRose, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 45 others like this.
  8. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Champion (888) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

It’s that New England DNA

9. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (32,155) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Have a nice Sunday NBS. Thanks to @lordofthewiens for today's introduction. Got a middle of a holiday weekend for me. I missed my weekend store hauls for a few weekends, and made up for it yesterday. Threw down $450 for a few boxes from a friend and the store. Whole fridge is packed to the brim. Probably going to hit up some breweries later on when they open. My 9300th review was last week.

Morning review. Epic Big Bad Baptist - Peanut Butter Cup. Fantastic as expected. Lasting rocky head retention/thick foamy lacing. Aromas and flavors of big milk/dark chocolate, cocoa, dark roasted coffee, peanuts, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, vanilla, whiskey, toasted oak, biscuit, and dark bread/crust; with lighter notes of coconut, molasses, licorice, raisin, fig, date, smoke, char, herbal, grass, pepper, pine, and yeast earthiness. Light pine, herbal, woody, peppery, roast, charred, coffee bitterness; and whiskey/oak tannin spiciness on the finish. Light-medium carbonation and fairly full body; very creamy, silky, velvety, bready malts; some sticky hops, chalky roast, oak tannins, and light slickness in the mouthfeel. Mildly increasing warmth of 10.9%, minimal lingering barrel booze. Dangerously smooth/soft sipping. Fantastic balance of super rich malts, peanuts, fruity/nutty coffee, cocoa nibs, and whiskey barrel presence/integration. Light residual sweetness with lingering bitter/tannic dryness. Right on par with the rest of this years variants so far. Wish it had more peanut butter-like intensity, but was adequate. Looking forward to the 5 barrel one, as the other multi barrels were the best in previous years. 4.23
    [​IMG]

Cheers, be back later as usual.

Been a pretty heavy Mastodon Weekend.

LeRose, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 39 others like this.
  10. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,042) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] Everyone @lordofthewiens has been posting right before bed on Saturday since moving to New Mexico because he realizes some people on his old East Coast are chomping on the bit to get the beers flowing, nice opening Doc, I personally have had the pleasure of meeting up with Dick and his lovely wife on a few occasions and was a pleasure and lots of fun. Cheers good sir.

Poured into a 16 oz Snulip glass bottled on 9/26/19. Pours a very attractive slick black with a massive 2 plus finger light brown head that leaves big thick streaks of lace, with excellent retention. 4.5

Smell cocoa nibs, coffee grounds, vanilla beans, and toffee. One dimensional in the best way possible. 4.25

Taste is the same but bigger and bolder chocolate, Expresso, vanilla, and toffee sorry but not much else, maybe some oatmeal but really pleasant. 4.5

Mouthfeel is bigger than medium, plenty of life for the style, a tad dry as you would expect from a stout like this, and drinks bigger than 6.5% but very drinkable. 4.5

Overall this is excellent $11.49 for a 6 pack and reminds so much of FBS, with less alcohol and a better price. May be my new breakfast beer. Cheers all. 4.5

LeRose, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 39 others like this.
  11. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,824) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good Day New BSers! Thanks, @lordofthewiens, for starting today's thread. I agree, BA has some of the friendliest people with whom I've ever had the pleasure to interact. Today's NBS offering comes from one of these, @2beerdogs, and the current NBS BIF #10.

Received from @2beerdogs in NBS BIF 10 – Thanks Derek! I’m salivating like I’m rabid while I wait for this to come up to temperature. Reviewed 11/10/19.
    Undated bottle other than “2018” on the label. Stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 59 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
    Appearance – 4.5.
    First pour – Brown, clear.
    Body – Pitch black, looks like a glass of tar or my soul. When held to the light, none escapes its event horizon.
    Head – None. A few bubbles appear while pouring, but they collapse by the end of the pour, my usual aggressive down the center M.O.
    Lacing – Seriously? At 13.7% ABV and with no head?
    Aroma – 4.5 – Smells sweet and viscous, like I’m inhaling dates
    Flavor – 4.75 – Begins sweet with “dark fruits” followed by a hint of brown sugar, maple, and the brandy barrel. At 57 degrees a bit of cinnamon appeared. No alcohol (13.7 % ABV) flavor or aroma, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide. A comforting gastric glow occurs and slooowly reaches the level of heat.
    Palate – 4.5 – Full, almost syrupy, incredibly soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 4.75 I never tasted or smelled the bourbon barrel, but the brandy more than made up for it. This is possibly the best barley wine of either style I’ve consumed.
    Rating 4.65, rDev +6.7%.

Thanks Derek - this was a welcome relief after the last 13 days of the Costco advent calendar and the Arrogant Bastard/Jaegermeister mashup - I was thinking good brews were no longer brewed. Now please excuse me while I go change my underwear.

Oh, and before I go, here's a photo of the underside of a plastic four-pack cover, you know, one of those that keeps the tops of our cans clean and free of dirt and rat droppings:

LeRose, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 36 others like this.
  12. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (1,959) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Hello New Beer Sunday!!!

I remember exactly why I joined this great site. I had gotten a growler filled at Backpocket Brewing in Iowa, but had forgotten the name of it. There were just initials on it. I did an internet search to see if I could come up with the name for it, and this site came up. I signed up, and I believe I did get the name of said beer on here.

Also, yes @lordofthewiens , we've got an amazing community here. I'm part of the beer it forward, and the generosity of that group is outstanding. I'm doing my best, and hope what I'm sending out is good enough for the members.

I'm not having a beer, yet. I'm going to meet up with some friends and share something that @CanConPhilly sent me. I'll pop in for a quick wrap up of it when we do enjoy it.

Cheers.

LeRose, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 24 others like this.
  13. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,521) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Morning all. Very true @lordofthewiens! Case in point Im meeting up with @LarryV today - guitar player extraordinaire- to jam and consume a few beers.(always a good time) I may be back later with a new beer. We shall see. Cheers!

mickyge, 2beerdogs, Premo88 and 21 others like this.
  14. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,360) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society

A rare Sunday off at home!
    :stuck_out_tongue:
    Many new-to-me beers to try to get to today.
    First up: Good Measure's Coconut/Coffee Milk Stout.
    Cheers!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/43995/449079/

[​IMG]

12 oz. can.
    Canned 10/22/19.
    Moderate pour yields a 3/4 inch tan head over a black coffee body with some lacing. Nose of coconut foremost, dark roasted malts, and dark roasted coffee. Taste mirrors nose with the coffee and cream flavor coming forward surpassing the coconut just a bit. Very nice, smooth, and well balanced with a good, slightly creamy feel with a roasty, slightly bitter finish. Overall, a fine example of a flavored milk stout from Northfield, VT. Cheers to Scott and crew!

LeRose, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 32 others like this.
  15. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,042) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] Poured into a 13 oz Tired Hands Teku glass canned on 10/29/19. Pours a very hazy dark yellow with a 2 finger sticky white head that leaves loads of webs of lace yielding amazing retention. 4.75

Smell is papaya, pineapple, mandarin, maybe a hint of watermelon, and grapefruit rind. 4.5

Taste follows really pungent and slightly dank papaya, pineapple, watermelon, tangerine, and white grapefruit in balanced finish. 4.75

Mouthfeel is bigger than average, not dry but slightly sticky from the crazy amount of hops, easy drinking, but actually probably has more flavor than 8.5%. 4.75

Overall just another amazing DDH NEDIPA coming from this awesome little brewery in our smallest State. I highly recommend and if are like me and don’t dig Watermelon don’t worry very little shows up. 4.5

LeRose, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 33 others like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,188) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Let’s go under the mountain today!

Not like in a Tolkien book but a beer: Founders Underground Mountain Brown.

I purchased this 4-pack a month+ ago but I have waiting until the weather got a bit chillier to drink my first bottle and now that it is November in PA that chilly weather has arrived,

Since this is my first time drinking this beer I figured I would learn what Founders has to say about this beer:

“Brown

Imperial Brown Ale Brewed with Coffee and Aged in Bourbon Barrels

2019 ABV: 11.9%

IBUs: 30

RateBeer Rating: 99

Availability: Sep-Nov

Underground Mountain Brown is the harmonious drinking experience only achieved when our imperial brown ale, earthy Sumatra coffee and a year aging in caves below Grand Rapids come together. A team of malts complement the bold Sumatra coffee perfectly, while time spent immersed in oak creates layers of depth and complexity. A celebration of the barrel, the bean and everything in between.”

Well, I am salivating just reading that so: Let’s drink!

Served in my Gulden Draak tulip glass:

Appearance:

A deep brown color with a BIG fluffy tan head.

Aroma:

A complex combination of aromas. The aroma of coffee is notable but there is also cocoa, vanilla, toffee, and even a bit if toasted coconut.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose with a complex combination of coffee, cocoa, vanilla, toffee and toasted coconut flavors. There is a moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

The mouthfeel is luscious and silky with a very subtle sweetish finish

Overall:

This beer is excellent! I very much enjoyed the complex combination of flavors which all played very well together like a world class symphony.

Cheers to Founders for producing this excellent barrel aged beer!

@KOP_Beer_OUtlet @rotsaruch @RobH

[​IMG]

SawDog505, LeRose, mickyge and 40 others like this.
  17. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,260) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Thanks @lordofthewiens for the great start to this weeks NBS. Will be back with a new beer later on today.

Cheers!

SawDog505, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 4 others like this.
  18. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,337) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Clear, light golden color with white cap and lacing.

Aroma of rich honeyed malt and clean, floral malt.

Beautifully clean malt flavors with a touch of honey sweetness that actually comes across as dry. Hops in abundance (35 IBU) but bitterness level is very low. I can only call the hops as having a bright floral character. Flavorful, complex, well balanced and quite refreshing. There is a building hop firmness from mid palate to the finish that offsets but does not overcome the other flavors.

Medium texture with abundant carbonation.

Easily one of the best balanced and flavorful Pilsners I've had from anywhere.

SawDog505, LeRose, mickyge and 33 others like this.
  19. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (3,608) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

[​IMG]

A-Pours a dark color with nice head and lacing
    A-Aroma has generous chocolate, vanilla and cinnamon hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a well balanced chocolate, vanilla and cinnamon flavor
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A great Imperial Stout

SawDog505, LeRose, mickyge and 29 others like this.
  20. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Aroma has generous raisins, vanilla and cinnamon hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a well balanced raisins, vanilla and cinnamon flavor
    O-A great Milk Stout

LeRose, mickyge, Premo88 and 24 others like this.
  21. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (1,945) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good morning NBS & thanks for the opening @lordofthewiens. I've not yet had the opportunity to meet any other BAs in person, but I hope to as my teenagers transition to adulthood and leave Mrs. Jkblr & myself more and more free time. My experiences on NBS and WBAYDN along with trades here on BA have been quite enjoyable. On to the beer at hand
    [​IMG]
    The review:
    12oz can stamped FILLED 10-11-2019 (30 days ago) poured into a Spiegelau stout glass at fridge temp 14.8% ABV. The beer pours dense dark brown bordering on black. There is zero light penetration through the body and the head is full, slow to recede and mocha in color. Maintains a head until the end and leaves some lacing with each drink. The aroma is rich with bourbon, vanilla, caramel, coffee and oak barrel. The taste is beautiful integration of all the aromas with slightly sweet dark malt first, then bourbon, vanilla and oak with a subtle, moderately bitter coffee finish. The mouthfeel is full to medium bodied with just less than medium carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Very slightly boozy, but only for an instant within each sip. No cloying sweetness. Overall, outstanding. This is an impressive feat of barrel aging. Elements of bourbon, barrel, stout and coffee are all there with no one overshadowing the others. Recommended.

I purchased a four pack of this beer and will try my best to allow a couple other folks the opportunity to try it. I'll be sending one out tomorrow for sure. Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass today!

SawDog505, LeRose, mickyge and 31 others like this.
  22. lordofthewiens

Society

When I posted the thread it was midnight on the east coast.

23. lordofthewiens

Society

Pumpkinhead, and its brother Smashed Pumpkin, are just not very good.

24. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (2,041) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

This beer comes to me from @FrankenMiller, Sideward Brewing's Citra Naut an all citra IPA. Pours a cloudy dark orange with a half Inch white head that left islands of lacing. Smells of citrus fruits and oral notes. Tastes of grapefruit, grapefruit pith, lime, orange, mango, floral notes and a hint of spice. Medium bodied and carbonated, low to moderate bitterness, mouth feel is on the dry side with a lingering dry finish. Well done beer, thanks Gene.
    [​IMG]

#24 EMH73, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    SawDog505, LeRose, mickyge and 30 others like this.
  25. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,360) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society

Home after a few errands to dive right into a few more new ones (to me!) Go west, young man!

[​IMG]

12 oz. bottle.
    Best by 121119.
    Moderate to vigorous pour yields a 3/4 inch off white head over a bright copper body with some lacing. Nose of sweet malt and very slight hops. Taste of malt and very little hops with a near syrup-like flavor and feel. Finishing a little sweet with a very, very slight bitterness. Overall, I wouldn't turn another one down. Cheers!!

SawDog505, LeRose, mickyge and 25 others like this.
  26. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Aroma has generous chocolate and coconut hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a well balanced chocolate and coconut flavor
    O-A great Imperial Stout

SawDog505, LeRose, mickyge and 25 others like this.
  27. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (3,004) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

They make beautiful beers. I was fortunate to get to the brewery this summer while traveling for work.

Premo88, cjgiant, Lingenbrau and 2 others like this.
  28. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (932) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Winter Vintage 2018 a 12.5% ABV BBA Imperial Stout from Mother Earth brew Co. I had never even heard about Mother Earth Brewing until I spotted this beer on the shelf. This beer is brewed with coffee and cinnamon. That would normally make this a no go for me. It's not every day that one finds a 22 OZ bottle of a 12.5 ABV BBA Imperial Stout for $6.99 so I took a shot. It was a shot well taken. Drunk slightly cool it looks just how an Imperial Stout should midnight black with a thick brown long lasting head. The aroma is powerful mostly Bourbon with some malt. The taste is the same except it's more balanced between the Bourbon and the malt. There very little coffee or cinnamon. The mouthfeel is full. The cinnamon comes forward in the finish which is lasting and dry. A very enjoyable brew and a great value. I think this beer had to be mispriced but it was still of the shelf the next day when I pinked up 2 more bottles.

SawDog505, LeRose, mickyge and 22 others like this.
  29. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,057) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Good morning, afternoon, and evening, NBS!

Fox NFL Sunday is running in the background and in front of me I have a new beer that I am happy to share with this community. What brought me to BA in the first place? It always showed up first when I would "Yahoo" or "AskJeeves" beer questions. :wink: I never looked back.

Seriously though, it was the reviews and the ability to research beers that I found on the shelves.

pFriem Pilsner. At the top of my lager "wants" list, so pleasantly surprised when I found the beer on Tavour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look: The beer pours a pale straw color. Bright as can be with some bubbles slowly floating up toward the tall, meringue-like bone white head. Streaks of lacing as the initial foam settles, and rings of lacing around the glass as I drink the beer. Just a perfect looking pilsner.

Smell: Sweet bready aroma with a touch of honey, nicely balanced by brighter and lighter notes of lemon rind and leafy greens. A pretty clean aroma.

Taste: Floral, grassy and slightly herbal hops up front. Any bitterness is barely perceivable. Quite a hoppy pilsner. Mid palate the malt really shines, presenting a bready and honey sweetness. The beer finishes dry, leaving a pleasant crackery flavor on the palate.

Feel: Medium level of carbonation and body. Dry on the finish

Overall: Delicate yet thought provoking. I think that the 89 BA score is too low for this beer. I agree with @Squire here.

Cheers, everyone!

LeRose, SawDog505, mickyge and 33 others like this.
  30. Tucquan

Society Trader

It's been a bit over 12 years since joining. I did so in 2007 because I'd taken a new position with my company, which put me on the road all across the country about 50% of the time. I was visiting new places, hiking in new state and national parks, and visiting new breweries. I realized I should be tracking my beers so I looked around and picked Ba. I'm still doing the job and still doing reviews and have over 1,000 nights in hotels since then. In fact, I leave for another trip tomorrow.

Today, I just got back from a long hike in the woods near me and decided to tackle two different brews that are quite different to contrast and compare.

[​IMG]

First up is:

[​IMG]

Robinsons Family Brewers (and Iron Maiden) - Sun And Steel

Had this near Pittsburgh, PA from a 16.9oz canned August, 2019 while listening to Iron Maiden's Wasted Years followed by Children of the Damned. My overall rating = 3.88

A - Beautifully straw-gold with a 2-finger white head that sticks around leaving good lace
    S - French bread crust, pear, grassy/herbal spice, hint of Belgian yeast.
    T - Brown rice, French bread with pear preserves.Light pepper, herbal spice. Mildly bitter.
    M - Light body and medium carbonation. Dry and refreshing.
    O - It's a very nice European Pale Ale. Briefly reminded me of Orval.

LeRose, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 29 others like this.
  31. Tucquan

Society Trader

This is a wonderful beer. Ever since visiting the brewery this summer, I've wished it could be purchased in Pennsylvania. Fat chance, I'm sure.

32. lordofthewiens

Society

Today's New Beer is Pawz, a hazy DIPA from Offshoot Beer Co. (The Bruery). It was gifted to me from @2beerdogs. I love the can art.
    The beer is a muddy orange/brown color and it has a thick off-white head that retains well. There is a lot of lace.
    The aroma is citrus and tropical fruit, leading to some spice.
    I taste orange and pineapple. Cinnamon shows up late.
    Medium-bodied, slick.

[​IMG]

33. Oh_Dark_Star

Oh_Dark_Star Meyvn (1,240) Mar 4, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

I'd like all my new beer Sunday's to be top notch brews, but you don't always know till you try.
    This was an enjoyable beverage none-the-less, and truthfully selected from my fridge to contrast with the wonderful colorways of my knitting friend's new board game!

3.78/5 rDev -0.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

L: The appearance of unfiltered grapefruit juice with no head of any kind to speak of.

S: Blueberry mash with notes of vanilla and banana.

T: Follows the nose with a stronger showing of the coconut and vanilla. Just like a fruit juice smoothie. Fresh.

F: Low carbonation, little beer presence at all. Thin but juicy.

O: This replicates a fruit smoothie quite well without the use of lactose sugar. Still to me this was a beer in name only.

34. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Meyvn (1,303) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Narwhal 2019
    ..solid black color with almost no head
    ..light carbonation with an above average body. Has a nice thick, creamy oily feel
    ..aroma is black coffee, earthy, pear, wood, licorice, roasted malt,. It took awhile but different dark fruits showed up in the aroma which I thought made the perfect counterpart to how earthy it seemed
    ..taste is black coffee followed by a strong amount of wood,earthy peat and licorice. Not sweet at all but not very bitter,just earthy. Some dark fruit but would have liked more.
    ..overall it's good but will open another bottle as I am on the fence[​IMG]

35. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,973) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Mystery beer from this weeks BIF from Mike in Ill. @ovaltine.
    Never done a blind beer before.

It’s obviously an ipa, I could smell that on opening the can. Not a haze bomb, tastes like a really good WC IPA. I’m not thinking this is a DIPA, doesn’t seem like there’s enough malt or abv for that. First pour a thick creamy head, kinda dissipates a bit, finish is really long. I couldn’t begin to guess the hops here, fruity, bitter, but not overly so, maybe Citra, maybe Mosaic, it’s not a bit funky, but Mosaic can be tricky sometimes. I’ll unwrap when I’m done.
    [​IMG]

36. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,973) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

And it’s.......

[​IMG]

LeRose, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 25 others like this.
  37. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,057) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It might be worth signing up for Tavour. They have pFriem beers from time to time. I’ve seen lagers and fruited sours.

dukeandduke, Premo88 and TongoRad like this.
  38. Tucquan

Society Trader

That's a fine beer. Now available here in Pennsylvania. I like it quite a lot although for me, their Alpha King beats it by a nose.

Premo88, kemoarps, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  39. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,814) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Odell Barreled Treasure Imperial Stout, 11% ABV. Pours black with a one-finger brown head. Nose is rum, bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, and coffee. Taste follows, with rum and coffee prevalent, and a slight bitter close. Excellent mouthfeel, overall outstanding. I'm really liking this.

4.42/5 rDev +4%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

We're at my son's place for football, and we're making curry chicken for lupper before the Packer game.

[​IMG]

LeRose, mickyge, 2beerdogs and 25 others like this.
  40. Tucquan

Society Trader

Thanks for the tip. Checking it out now.

Premo88 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.