New Beer Weekend #13

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by superspak, Oct 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,469) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Have a good NBW. I was up in Michigan for a few days this week, still have some stuff in my old apartment, but now I only have one car load left over to get. I got all of my homebrewing equipment and the rest of my cellar transferred now. Also went to dinner with a couple old colleagues I hadn’t seen in a while. Was a good few days. I just slept on my lone recliner I had that I will be giving away after I turn in my keys. It gave me a knot in my shoulder for 3 days, but it’s getting better. I am going out with my girlfriend later this evening, going to an Asian bistro and a board game bar. It’s her birthday on Monday, so I need to go find some roses last minute somewhere, I bet Walmart would have some.

Please come to this thread to share beers that are new to you. Include the Look, Aromas, Taste, Mouthfeel, and Overall opinion of the beer. Pictures are always encouraged.

The return of the lamp, I adjusted aperture a bit wider though. Shiner Morello Dark Cherry. Very nice stuff. Lasting fluffy head retention/foamy lacing. Aromas and flavors of big red/black cherries, fruit skin/pits, almonds, cocoa, coffee, brown bread/crust, light caramel, herbal, wood, grass, and peppery hops. Getting a very slight metallic note. Light herbal, woody, grassy, peppery, roasted bitterness; and light fruit tang/tartness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body, and fairly crisp finishing. Creamy/bready malts, some sticky hops, chalky roast, and fruit tang/tannins in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing bitter/tart dryness, no cloying/acrid/astringent flavors. Perfectly clean lagering, no fruity/yeasty notes. Pretty refreshing, minimal warming 7%. Great balance of juicy cherries, dark/roasted malts, and earthy hops. Mild residual sweetness with lingering bitter/tart/tangy dryness. Quite impressive for a fruit beer. 3.93
    [​IMG]

Cheers

#1 superspak, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Amendm, 2beerdogs, woemad and 40 others like this.
  2. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,174) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Snulip glass canned on 9/11/2020. Pours a hazy orange with a finger sticky white head that leaves thin webs of lace with solid retention and leaves a thin film of white bubbles as it settles. 4.5

Smell pineapple, tangerine, peach, cantaloupe, a hint of coconut, and apricot. 4

Taste follows pineapple, mandarin, cantaloupe, peach, upfront with coconut and apricot in the bold lingering finish. 4

Mouthfeel is big, soft gentle carbonation, a tad sticky not dry, and at 8.4% ABV it is very approachable. 4.5

Overall this is unique, actually the mouthfeel is spot on for the style, and I would recommend giving this one a shot. What I find about most of these big brewers doing this style, is they often miss the look and feel, but not this one they nailed it and I would gladly revisit for a quality and different NEDIPA. Cheers all. 4

#2 SawDog505, Oct 17, 2020
    superspak, Amendm, 2beerdogs and 39 others like this.
  3. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 chalet canned on 9/25/2020. Pours a very dark brown with a half finger dark tan head that leaves thick streaks of lace as it settles. 4.25

Smell is peanut butter, chocolate, toffee, and maybe a hint of vanilla. 4.25

Taste follows peanut butter, chocolate, toffee, and some vanilla simple but really tasty. 4.25

Mouthfeel is bigger than medium, maybe a little dry, plenty of life, and at 6.2% ABV it drinks more like 7%, but is really easy going down. 4.25

Overall this is exactly what you would expect from a Peanut Butter Porter. I would drink this with my kids Halloween Candy and be a very happy man. 4.25

woemad, superspak, Amendm and 37 others like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,695) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Have you ever been pleasantly surprised by a brewery recently distributed to your area?

Well, this happened to me recently. In Pennsylvania the principle beer retailer has historically been what we call a Beer Distributor. In BA posts I refer to these as Retail Beer Distributors. I went to my local Retail Beer Distributor in search of a specific beer (Von Trapp Kolsch) but I had some free time so I did a bit of ‘window shopping’ and to my utter surprise I saw a few brands of beer from Oxbow Brewing. I am somewhat familiar with this brewery since in the summer of 2019 my wife and I visited their brewery in Portland, ME; I discussed this in a past thread (with emphasis in bold for this post):

“I was recently at the Oxbow brewery in Portland, ME and I can fully relate to you here. I ordered a sampler of 4 beers and I really enjoyed some of those beers but one of those beers was too 'different' for me. They did not have a Pilsner on tap when I was there; I would have tried it if it was on tap.”

Luckily for me an Oxbow Pilsner is available for purchase at my local Retail Beer Distributor: Luppolo dry-hopped Pils.

I was quite pleased to buy this beer since I really wanted to try it during my visit to the Portland Brewery.

On the side of the can it lists: “Brewed by Oxbow Brewing Co. Newcastle. ME”. So this beer was brewed at the production brewery in Newcastle (about an hour northeast of Portland).

Below is how this beer is detailed on the Oxbow website:

“Luppolo

Italian-Style Pils

Luppolo is an unfiltered dry-hopped pils brewed with European malts and hops.

Production Method: Lager

Color: Blonde

ABV: 5%”

It would appear that the people of Oxbow are folks of few words; not a lot of detail there.

A little more detail from a Punch article:

“Oxbow Brewing Luppolo | 5 percent

Oxbow’s Luppolo was the first pilsner to use the “Italian-style” designation and clearly cite Tipopils and other lesser-known Italian pilsners as its influence. Adams uses German Tettnanger hops for the dry hopping, but says Slovenian and Czech hops are fair game, too. “As long as it’s not American or new-world hops,” he says.”

https://punchdrink.com/articles/your-move-german-pilsner-beer-tipopils/

This whole ‘thing’ whether a Pilsner is dry hopped it is an alleged ‘Italian Pilsner’ sub-style is a misnomer. The aspect of dry hopping Pilsners/Lagers occurred way before some Italian brewer (Agostino Arioli) chose to dry hop the Pilsner he brews.

Enough jibber-jabber, let’s drink!

Served in my Polish Pilsner glass:

Appearance:

Yellow/golden colored with some haze accompanied by a big, sturdy white head. This beer has excellent head retention.

Aroma:

Prominent aromas of herbal/spicy hop aromas plus even a tiny hint of floral.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose but is a tad more balanced between the herbal/spicy hop flavors and the bready Pilsner Malt flavor. As the beer warms/opens up there is a lemon-like flavor as well. There is a notable bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Medium bodied with a dry finish

Overall:

I think this beer is excellent. It is a tasty German Pilsner which is very hoppy in all three phases (aroma, flavor and bitterness) but there is a noticeable bready Pilsner Malt flavor in the background as well. All of the flavors play very, very well together; like the music of a world class symphony.

For those folks who may be wondering about the name Luppolo, that is Italian for hop.

Cheers!

@rotsaruch @RobH @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @ESHBG @honkey @TongoRad @FBarber @johphisher

[​IMG]

RobH, superspak, Amendm and 39 others like this.
  5. Act25

Act25 Poo-Bah (2,953) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

3 six% ABV rated 4+ Beers of October 2020
    Goldenrod | Decadent Ales | IPA | 6.3% | Mamaroneck NY
    /5 rDev +0.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
    4th Review. Decadent nails this one.
    a) Pours pale straw color, very hazy. Finger full of structured, white head that lasts and lacs.
    s) Floral, grapefruit rind, blossoms, and citrusy hops.
    t) Best part - floral, citrus flavors in a see-saw batter of bitterness and fruit.
    f) Creamy mouthfeel.
    o) My tasting partner and I agreed best beer of evening.

Premiere IPA - Double Dry-Hopped | Interboro | NE-IPA | 6% | Brooklyn
    /5 rDev +1.2%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
    20th review. My first from this "local" Brooklyn brewer.
    a) Hazed expected body, with reviving head and lacing suds.
    s) Myriad hops. Maze of flavors.
    t) Atop a pilsner, lighter, more sessionable base... The myriad hops maze into a lovely arch of woody, cedary, powdery finale.
    f) Likewise chalky, powdering, yet some how juicy. Lovely texture
    o) Clearly a brewer I want to visit and stalk.

Saison Violette | Allagash | Saison | 6% | Portland Maine
    /5 rDev +2.3%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
    9th review. works for me. Very original and among the top fruit-infused saisons. Allagash does Blueberries and Belgian well.
    a) A real and lasting head and lace in a field beer - great.
    s) Perhaps its the name but reminds me of violet gum my mom used to fancy.
    t) Everything I want in a 6% Fruit Saison. Harvest leaves, orchard, tea, wet grass and only the suggestion of blueberry.
    f) Plenty of heft, but light and well carbed.
    o) Needs to be test tasted against other fruit-field saisons.

superspak, Amendm, 2beerdogs and 28 others like this.
  6. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Zealot (535) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

It's been many moons since I cracked a beer before noon, but given that all I'm currently doing is relaxing and watching soccer, why not?

First beer for the weekend is Cafe Deth from Revolution Brewing. I've received so much beer in the last two NBS BIFs that I can't keep up, which has led to receiving this from both @ovaltine and more recently @Whyteboar. Spoiler - I'm very happy I have another one of these to enjoy.

The description on the can says "A weaponized quantity of freshly roasted whole bean coffee from independent Chicago roasters imbues our Deth's Tar Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout with assertive coffee aromatics without overshadowing the base beer on the palate".

[​IMG]
    The review....
    4.46/5 rDev +1.4%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is as dark as night. I could hold this up to the sun and I don't think even a smidgen of light would make it through. About a finger of thick khaki colored head with fairly good head retention.

Smell is wonderful. At first whiff, I get coffee rolling off of it in waves. The more I let the aroma sink in, the more I was picking up the booze, figs, and the underlying base.

Taste is multi-layered, and really good. Coffee, chocolate, some char notes and more rotate through the palate. This is nice and complex and a great sipper.

Feel is fairly thick. Moderate carb, nice finish.

Overall a very good beer.

superspak, Amendm, 2beerdogs and 37 others like this.
  7. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,830) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Thanks Jack- seems totally up my alley and I'll make a point to keep an eye out for it.

In the meantime I'll be enjoying my last few cans of Troegs Trail Day. Sorry you got a bad batch, but the ones I got were fantastic.

8. JackHorzempa

Society

Me too. :slight_frown:
    Can't win 'em all? :confused:
    Glad to hear. Plus you supported a good cause!

My wife and I (and some friends) will be hiking up to Hawk Mountain later this week to see the hawk migration which occurs this time of year.

Cheers!

P.S. They maintain a daily raptor count online: https://www.hawkmountain.org/conservation-science/hawk-count

ChicagoJ, woemad, 2beerdogs and 11 others like this.
  9. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,137) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good day BAs! It's a sunny but cool day thus far, ideal beer-drinking weather! And I intend to enjoy my last day of freedom before Mrs. Lizard returns. Today's New Late Breakfast Beer (Last night's journey into the Valley of the Deer left me worn out and sleeping in until sunrise) is from @nc41 and BIF #12:

[​IMG]

Approaching Daylight from Heist Brewery. Received from @nc41 in BIF 12. Received 10/8/20. Reviewed 10/17/20.
    16 oz can stamped on bottom rim “09/02/20 SHOWCASE SHOWDOWN”. Stored at home at 42 degrees and served at 45 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter. Final temperature 55.5 degrees.
    Appearance – 4.5.
    First pour – Pale straw (SRM 2), hazy.
    Body – Pale straw (SRM 2), murky and opaque. When held to direct light, same.
    Head – Large (Maximum 7.2 cm, aggressive center pour), egg-shell, medium density, average retention, diminishing to a jagged five to fifteen mm crown with a thick partial cap, leaving rings of foam as the head collapses to a thick, complete rocky cap. Second pour produces a one cm tight head.
    Lacing – Excellent! Narrow band of medium to small bubbles with stalactites, a lot of stalagmites, and a few prominences. See also above.
    Aroma – 4.5 – Begins with strong sweet tropical fruit, citrus, and a touch of pine. No malt, no yeast.
    Flavor – 4 – Oddly enough, the prominent tropical nose does not carry well into the flavor – the fruity hop flavors are subdued, playing second fiddle to unfluctuating and insistent dankness. No malt, no yeast. No alcohol (7.1 % ABV, as marked on container) taste or aroma. No dimethylsulfide or diacetyl.
    Palate – 4 – Medium, watery but approaching creamy, soft carbonation.
    Final impression and summation: 4.25. Great appearance and nose, surprisingly unrelenting mild dankness with a looong hangtime.
    Rating 4.2, rDev -2.6%.

Thanks Dale - another excellent NC brew!

woemad, superspak, Amendm and 38 others like this.
  10. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,277) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

They brewed a "bigger" (i.e., more coffee) version of that beer this summer.

You can't make this stuff up.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22072/444256/

woemad, 2beerdogs, Ozzylizard and 8 others like this.
  11. Pinz412

Pinz412 Aspirant (294) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Greetings, NBW folks, I hope everyone is doing well today and enjoying their weekend. I woke up to a crisp 34 degree morning here and it looks like it will stay on the cooler side all day. Later today I'm visiting my parents to eat some pizza and spend some time around a bonfire. I opened this beer late last night while enjoying some time with friends, but in retrospect it would have been the perfect beer to sip fireside. A few weeks ago I had mentioned seeing Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier varieties at my local supermarket and @Roguer strongly encouraged that I go buy every last bottle. I didn't quite buy their whole supply, but I did grab a couple varieties. Last night was the moment for the Marzen.

It poured a dark brown topped with a beautiful slightly tan head that was thick and lasting. I expected a much murkier opacity, but this was actually quite transparent and clean in appearance despite the rich color. Roasted malt emanated from the glass, but it was no match for the smoke that clings to every aspect of this beer. What struck me most was not the presence of the smoke, but the quality of it. It was the kind of smoke you smell coming from a well maintained BBQ pit. It was a deeply rich smoke that can only come from the burning of hardwood timber. The taste followed the nose much to my delight. That smoke gave an almost savory quality to the beer that I reveled in and let wash over me. It was like biting into a heavily smoked kolbasi full of spices, fat, and the gentle smoldering of a fire. This is the first time that I've ever been tempted to describe a beer's flavor as meaty. The feel was clean and well carbonated. The lively carbonation was needed to counter some of that rich flavor. The liquid itself was a light-medium body, but it was honestly hard to discern beyond the intense flavor. A truly unique experience that I absolutely loved.

After drinking this one, I just may go back and buy out the whole supply as @Roguer suggested. Special thanks to @beertunes for the new glass. I'll surely have some LIF beers to share here through the weekend that I received from him yesterday. Until then, cheers!
    [​IMG]
    4.29/5 rDev +3.9%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

woemad, superspak, Amendm and 39 others like this.
  12. JackHorzempa

Society

It has been a long while since I have had this beer but the bottled versions of this beer typically tasted "meaty" to me as well. And while I am a HUGE fan of eating smoked sausage (for me: Kielbasa) I not such a fan of drinking this flavor profile. But you seemed to enjoy it so you should indeed buy more bottles.

FWIW when it comes to smoked beers I prefer a flavor that reminds me of campfire.

Yesterday I bottled a home brewed batch of an English Brown Ale that I augmented with smoked malt. The hydrometer sample tasted of campfire for my palate so I am anxiously waiting or this batch to carbonate.

Cheers!

13. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,530) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

Pours a hazy amber color with a generous head and slight lacing
    Aroma has malt hints
    The taste follows the nose with a bitter malt flavor
    A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
    A decent ESB

woemad, superspak, Amendm and 30 others like this.
  14. Pinz412

Pinz412 Aspirant (294) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I can see how it might turn some off, but I didn't mean to imply that the "meaty" component bothered me. I'd had a few other rauchbiers, but it was clear to me as soon as I opened this bottle that it would be a unique experience. I can't say that I could drink this every day by any means, but I was impressed by this experience and am looking forward to revisiting it. Luckily I've got a bottle of the Urbock in my fridge as well, so I won't have to wait too long.

15. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,949) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

It's a New Trillium Beer Weekend for me, starting off with a fresh release of Super Street Shark, can dated 10/13/20. This is an "amplified" version of the original Street Shark collab with Bellwoods Brewery in Toronto.

Brewery notes:
    The original Street Shark was 8.2% abv and this is now 9% abv. I presume this is a little hoppier too because of that.
    [​IMG]

Pours a milky opaque looking orange-yellow gold color with a minimal frothy white foam head that retains as a small ring.

Smells massive, juicy and dank with boasting tropical fruit aromas. This smells a little more dank and resinous than most other Trillium beers I've had recently, probably stemming from the hop bill that contains Simcoe and Amarillo with the CTZ, though the Citra is huge in this. As soon as this is poured I get huge peach, pineapple, tangerine orange citrus, mango nectar, papaya, zesty white grapefruit, slight oniony dank resinous weedy earthy herbal floral grassy pine, with a small hint of bready malt underneath.

Tastes really intense and concentrated, juicy with rich tropical fruits, mango nectar, pineapple, papaya smoothie, peach, nectarine skin, apricot, orange citrus, zesty grapefruit, lemon, lime rind, honeysuckle, mild caramelized crackery bready malt, and dank resinous spicy woodsy earthy herbal floral grassy pine. Fairly complex and hitting a lot of notes in the flavor department.

Feels thick and juicy, creamy medium plus bodied, pillowy smooth with moderate low carbonation. One of the better mouthfeels I've had on a Trillium IPA in a while too.

Overall I'm really liking this. It has a nice balance of dank pine and fruitiness, super juicy and tropical tasting, not sweet or too bitter. Pretty good balance of flavors, heft and drinkability. This is definitely a substantial DIPA that hits all the right marks for me, rating a 4.75-5 for my palate. I don't think it gets much better than this for what it is. Cheers all! :beers:

woemad, superspak, Amendm and 33 others like this.
  16. VABA

Society

[​IMG]

Pours a hazy golden color with a slight head and lacing
    Aroma has slight clove and banana hints
    The taste follows the nose with a very slight clove and banana flavor
    A light bodied decently carbonated beer
    A decent Hefeweiss

woemad, superspak, Amendm and 29 others like this.
  17. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,686) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

Boston Rising is a DIPL, from Jacks’s Abby, a favored brewery for me.
    This presents with a bright amber can pour with some haze and a 2 cm foam cap.
    The aroma is faintly fruity. Tangerine and some woody hops are noted.
    The flavor is full. Aspects of grain are pleasantly strong. Kiwifruit, and lemon are prominent.
    The brew holds a fine carbonation. The finish is dry. This is good.
    [​IMG]

woemad, superspak, Amendm and 34 others like this.
  18. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,319) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

Fuzzy Recall, a New England IPA brewed in collaboration between English and Danish breweries London Berr Factory and Gamma (6.3% ABV).

Pours a hazy, orange coloration with a small, fluffy head. Smells of light biscuity malt and vibrant, juicy tropical, stone fruit and citrus hops, with notes of papaya, peach and lime peel, as well as light herbal accents.

Taste is a great balance of light biscuity malt and bitter, herbal, fruity hops with juicy, sweet tropical, stone fruit and citrus notes of pineapple, papaya, peach and zesty lime peel, as well as just a hint of sage and mint. Finishes with a medium bitterness and some pineapple, peach and sage lingering in the aftertaste. Soft mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

A very nice New England IPA with a good balance of juicy, fruity and herbal, bitter hops, as well as sweet tropical and zesty citrus notes. While it's maybe just a tad too bitter for the style, personally I don't mind that at all, while the herbal accents also make this a bit more interesting as well. Certainly not exactly a typical example of the style, which makes it no less enjoyable though and perhaps more.

woemad, superspak, Amendm and 34 others like this.
  19. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,227) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Thank you for kicking things off this morning @superspak . @Roy_Hobbs , nice to see Cafe Deth is holding up well, still have a few in my refrigerator, is in my top three coffee stout releases of all time.

Late night on the West Coast for me, hitting this after midnight yesterday from a local brewer in Vegas, Able Baker’s Atomic Duck Quarantine Edition Hazy DIPA

[​IMG]

My brother shared 10 oz of this 8% ABV, canned 9/29/20. He likes hazy much more, so I won’t go further into his stash on this one. Long story short, this is good if you like a very sweet hazy DIPA, glad I tried but too sweet for me.

Appearance: Hazy orange lightly tan pour, creamy white head leaves thin lacing film which clears quickly. 3.5

Aroma: Citrus tropical fruit aroma, very sweet. 3.75

Taste: Consistent with aroma, very sweet citrus tangerine, lemon. 3.5

Mouthfeel: Medium full creamy body, light carbonation, sweetness aftertaste. 3.75

Overall: Very sweet Hazy IPA, could have used more balance. 3.5

Hoping to hit one or two more breweries this weekend, and perhaps a few beers from local / regional breweries before the weekend is up.

Many good reviews posted already, the Allagash Saison by @Act25 the most intriguing so far that I May able to pick up in Chicago. Looking forward to following the thread as always, and hope you all have a few great new beers this weekend.

Cheers!

woemad, superspak, Amendm and 31 others like this.
  20. VABA

Society

[​IMG]

Aroma has very slight clove and banana hints
    A decent Hefeweiss

21. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,830) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

First beer of the day comes from @beertunes as part of our recent BIF, straight out of Bellingham, WA-
    [​IMG]
    Wander Wild Warehouse

This is fabulous! Barnyard funk leads the way, but the aroma is also an elegant finely knit blend of fruit and spice (apricot, vanilla, maraschino cherry, plum, peppercorn, white grape among them). It's as airy and bright as it is earthy. The palate features the tiniest zesty tart kick just to keep things lively but not take over in any way. Oak comes on late and drives things home with just enough woody/grape skin astringency to be noticeable, but again, not overtake things. A real treat, A (4.6).

Thanks again, Terry!

woemad, Amendm, 2beerdogs and 33 others like this.
  22. JackHorzempa

Society

No, you were clear here. You posted: "I just may go back and buy out the whole supply..."

It was me that did not enjoy the "meaty" that this beer has in its bottled format.

The good news is: more beer available for you!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

23. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,245) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

White Lion Brewing Co. x Grist House Craft Brewery (a 2020 Fresh Fest collab) -- Fight the Sour

[​IMG]

3.75/5 rDev -1.3%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Raspberry red body slightly milky; fizzy carbonation; small yet lasting slightly pink head. The smell comprises elements of raspberry and cherry; some mustiness at first, then that fades. Juniper and lime dominate the flavors; very tart and acidic; some wheat or sorghum grain notes appear as the beer warms up. Medium body; sharp and acidic; sharp lemon juice feel.

The can states blackberries, juniper, and lemon juice were used to produce this beer. The color and smell, specifically, remind me less of blackberries and more like raspberries. The juniper and lemon juice certainly make their presence known in the taste. For a sour ale, this one isn't bad. It's not fantastic, but certainly seems to have met the brewer's intentions.
    -------
    A nice yet abnormally warm Fall day. It's nice to have some lingering colors among the hardwood trees around the neighborhood. It doesn't match the Fall colors back in Ohio, yet the season brings back great memories and gives immediate gratitude for this (at times) wonderful world we live in.

The beer makes for a nice early afternoon treat. I was going to hole-up in the 'Fortress of Solitude' and complete some rifle hand-loads, but old movies on TCM have side-tracked me. It's all good...

24. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (4,184) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

[​IMG]
    Happy Saturday, NBW.

Today's (first) new beer is Sabro, a hazy fresh hop IPA from Crux. Met my friend for dinner and beer last night and came home with this as well as a couple others you'll probably see this weekend.

16oz can served in a big snifter. Gift from @mr-jj. Canned 09/14/20.

Pours hazy yellow-orange with a moderately large head that collapses to some islands and a pretty even sheet around the edges. Smell is mildly resinous, maybe some citrus. I could believe melon.

Taste is really fruity. Maybe a hint of citrus, but more papaya (I think), really juicy, not much bitterness. Melon rind bitterness comes through on a second taste. Definitely has some fresh hop characteristic, but it comes across with too much of a candy sweetness characteristic for me to love it.

Mouthfeel is medium and somewhat still. Overall, it's not a bad beer, but it's probably bottom quartile on my list of fresh hops this year. And that's not a terrible indicator -- there have been a lot of really good fresh hops this year.

woemad, superspak, Amendm and 32 others like this.
  25. VABA

Society

[​IMG]

Aroma has slight clove and banana hints
    A decent Hefeweiss

26. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,171) Apr 21, 2014 Canada
    Trader

Nice. Bellwoods is releasing a Trillium collaboration stout in a week or so as well.

27. snaotheus

Society

[​IMG]
    Mountains Walking Brewery's Opaque Thoughts Double Milkshake IPA with Pineapple, Peach, Tangerine, Vanilla Bean, and Lactose.

16oz can served in a big snifter. Dated 09/08/20.

Pours a hazy pale yellow-amber with a smallish head. Looks like a shake, almost. Smell is surprisingly mild, a little vanilla and a little pineapple.

Taste is much louder. The vanilla and lactose come screaming out followed by the pineapple which melds nicely with the peach. The peach and tangerine I probably would specifically point out if it wasn't on the label. Happily, it's not super sweet -- definitely sweet, but also with a respectable hop resin bitterness and maybe a little bit of citrus zest bitterness to help it out.

Mouthfeel is thick, but carbonated enough not to feel heavy or oppressive. Overall, really enjoying this beer.

28. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,245) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Westbound & Down -- Westbound Coffee Porter

[​IMG]

4.21/5 rDev +0.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very dark yet clear brown body; thick, dense and foamy head; sticky. Excellent smell blend of roasted grain and dark roasted coffee; mocha. The taste mirrors the aroma; a bit maltier, sweeter; toffee; mild suggestion of caramel; definitely coffee bitterness (difficult to say anything about the hops). Heavy body yet a bit weak in feel; sticky and semi-sweet.

This is a fine, robust coffee porter. The smell and taste really hit the mark. The brewery teamed up with Sweet Bloom Coffee Roasters for this beer. They're located in Lakewood, CO.
    -------
    I felt like mixing up some beer styles today, so this coffee porter seemed like a nice transition from the earlier blackberry, juniper, and lime sour collaboration I had earlier.

29. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Meyvn (1,227) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Seen this offering many times on WBAYDN threads, first time I came across it in the wild. Hoping it’s good since it has been refrigerated by the Speedy Mart here.

[​IMG]

Pizza Port Swami’s IPA. 6.8% ABV canned 7/30/20 at 9:25, cheers!

Appearance: Cloudy slightly hazy golden tan pour, light carbonation, creamy white head leaves clumpy lacing. 3.25

Aroma:
    Faint lime lemon citrus aroma, not very sweet. 3.25

Taste:
    Nice firm pine bitter hoppy profile leads, mild good. No other taste profile noted. Good classic WCIPA. 3.75

Mouthfeel:
    Creamy medium full body, nice dry bitterness, dryness lingers. Nice body. 4.0

Overall:
    Solid old school WCIPA, only hesitation on my end is whether the 10 week lag in canning impacted the freshness or taste profile. No defects noted, just less bold than I expected. 3.75

30. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,279) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Good Saturday afternoon, New Beer Samplers and commentators. It's a simply gorgeous mid-Oktober afternoon in North Jersey; perfect for Märzens on the deck. I'm drinking East Sixth Brewing's Festbier courtesy of @jdell15. While I generally prefer darker, more full-bodied festbiers, this is outstanding! It pours a clear, golden-straw color with a half finger of foamy, bright white head and it's clearly effervescent. It has a robust aroma of grainy bread, nuts, and spice. The taste opens with a nice balance of sweet Bohemian Pilsner Malt and spice with notes of nutty bread. It's very lite and crisp with lively carbonation, and at only 4.9% ABV it's positively crushable. I really enjoyed it and thank Jake for sending it to me. This is perfect for outdoor events.

Here's the break-down of my rating:

3.97/5 rDev -0.5%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I'm only the second reviewer after @jvgoor3786. For context, this is a very good rating for me for a Märzen.

I'm starting to get the hang of doing reviews throughout the weekend and have more new beers to come. Cheers, NBW!

woemad, superspak, Amendm and 32 others like this.
  31. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,304) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBW, hope everyone is doing well! Today is my mom’s birthday and celebrated with nice lunch in a park with my parents, sister, brother in-law and nephew. It was great to see them and enjoy their company! Relaxing at home now with Modern Times Extraordinary Time DIPA with 2020 Crop Nelson Sauvin Hops, thanks @Dimidiata!

4.4/5 rDev +0.9%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Thank you Dimidiata for this
    16 oz can poured into a teku

A- A hazy golden copper with a two finger white head.

S- Citrus, grapefruit rind, pineapple, a little dank, slightly earthy and hints of sweet malts.

T- Citrus, pineapple, grapefruit rind, melons, slightly earthy, a little dank.

M- Smooth, creamy, medium body.

O- A tasty NEIPA, on point with the Nelson hops.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

32. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Zealot (535) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Society Trader

New beer #2 comes courtesy of @Whyteboar from NBS BIF #12. I was definitely looking forward to trying this one. Two hearted is a classic, and this will be a first (obviously, or I wouldn't be posting it in this thread) for Double Two Hearted.

I ended up coming in under rDev on this, which is almost unquestionably style bias on my part. Thanks, Craig for hooking me up with this.
    [​IMG]
    3.9/5 rDev -6%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Attractive almost glowing dark orange with a finger of thick, foamy head that hung around for a while and left behind an almost solid wall of lace. Aroma is bright and floral with some depth on the nose that I can't quite put a finger on. Taste is somewhat heavy on the pine, along with the bitterness I typically associate with it. This is definitely a bit old school, and not in a bad way. Good beer.

superspak, Amendm, 2beerdogs and 33 others like this.
  33. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

Weiherer Imperial IPA, an Imperial IPA brewed in collaboration between German and American breweries Kundmüller and Fat Head's (9% ABV).

Pours a cloudy, deep amber coloration with a medium, fluffy head. Smells of biscuity, caramel malt and quite resinous hops, with overripe citrus/tropical notes of grapefruit, papaya and pineapple, as well as strong herbal and piney accents.

Taste follows the nose, with a great balance of sweet biscuity, quite caramelly malt and quite bitter and resinous hops with overripe citrus/tropical notes of grapefruit, papaya and lighter tangerine and pineapple, as well as strong herbal and piney accents. Finishes bittersweet, with a very strong bitterness and some grapefruit, papaya and strong pine lingering in the aftertaste. Full mouthfeel with a medium/rich body and medium carbonation.

This is quite a bold, old-school East Coast IPA with a strong caramel malt backbone and very resinous and bitter hops, as well as distinct, overripe citrus/tropical notes and almost pungent herbal accents. While I think that there's a very nice overall balance keeping all those strong flavors together, it's all a little much for my personal taste as well, to be honest. A little too sweet, a little too bitter, a little too boozy.

Just a little though, mind you, this is still quite an enjoyable brew in its own right, with a rich, and full-bodied flavour profile and mouthfeel, although I did very much prefer their more laid-back and supremely balanced regular IPA. (Original review)

My current bottle is noticeably less bitter and resinous than I remember, with a more pronounced sweetness, which is most likely down to age. I mean, who can really tell with Kundmüller's ridiculous best-by dates? 17.07.22, that's what, like 24 months? While 3 months old is still reasonably fresh, I believe that my last bottle was much fresher, at least that's what the vendor told me. While this is a bit more mellow, I still prefered the last bottle's less sweet and more bitter and resinous flavour profile. Also, while I have nothing but the highest respect for Kundmüller as a brewery, I'm sorry to say that setting 24(?)-month best-by dates for IPAs is just a crime against beer.

34. snaotheus

Society

[​IMG]
    Festival Lager from Elder Pine.

16oz can served in a big snifter. No date on it that I see. I'm pretty sure I got this on Tavour.

Pours deep clear amber with no head. Smell is rich malt with a burnt toffee / chocolate bitterness. Moderate grassiness.

Taste is tea and grain, most of the bitterness is diminished and has turned into nuttiness. Pretty sweet.

Mouthfeel is medium to light, smooth. Overall, pretty good but not wowed.

35. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,449) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBW
    A new to me beer from Revolution's latest League of Heroes pack
    [​IMG]
    Jukebox-Hero Black IPA

12oz can stamped FILLED 09-16-2020 (1 month ago) poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass at fridge temp 7.5% ABV. The beer pours bright medium brown in color with ruby highlights and light brown head. The head recedes to fluffy cap and leaves behind a web of lacing. The aroma is pine, candied orange, caramel and grapefruit. The taste is bittersweet pine, coffee, roasted malt and citrus with a moderately bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied with average carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Overall, good.

I'm a big fan of black IPAs, but Revolution didn't distribute to Indiana back in the heyday of this style. Grabbed up a mix pack immediately after seeing this and a rye IPA included. Happy I did. Love Revolution. Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass this weekend!

woemad, superspak, Amendm and 28 others like this.
  36. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Nordic pint glass canned 10/4/2020. Pours a slightly cloudy straw yellow with a 2 finger sticky white head that leaves plenty webs of lace as it slowly settles into a thin layer of bubbles. 4

Smell is passionfruit, Marijuana, pine, and grapefruit rind. 4

Taste follows marijuana, passionfruit, pine, and mild grapefruit.4

Mouthfeel is medium, rather gentle carbonation, a tad sticky but not dry, and at 8% ABV it goes down very easy. 4

Overall this is a very nice DIPA definitely worth a try. I would purchase again. 4

37. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

Vaccin 2.0, a Sour Ale infused with wildflowers by Belgian brewery Alvinne (6% ABV).

Pours a cloudy, deep amber coloratiuon with a small, fluffy head. Smells of doughy malt and fruity and slightly spicy estery yeast notes of tart green apple, apricot, gooseberry and clove, as well as some flowery, herbal accents.

Taste follows the nose, with a great balance of light doughy malt, estery fruit and spice notes of tart green apple, apricot, gosseberry, clove and black pepper, as well as some flowery, herbal accents and a good underlying lactic, citric acidity, with some funky accents. Finishes with a light/medium tartness and some estery fruit and spice lingering in the aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

This is basically Omega infused with wild flowers and it does seem a bit more flowery and herbal, although it's been quite a while since I had the regular version and the general flavour profile seems rather similar. In any case, this makes for a very enjoyable Sour Ale with some distinct estery fruit and spice notes and lighter floral, herbal accents, as well as a good acidity and subtle funk.

38. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,949) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Next up for me this weekend is Trillium - Fated Farmer: Apricot, a barrel-fermented wild ale with apricots. I've had every release from this series so far I believe unintentionally, which was 11 different fruits plus a couple different Fruit Salad blends. A few new ones were released last year in small 330ml bottle format, and a couple others were just recently released, this Apricot and a Chardonnay grapes version. It's not my favorite sour/wild line from them, and I think I only got all of them because they stick around for a while and aren't as hyped up. In the past they were pretty acidic and sour though lately their barrel aged or fermented wild ales have been a little less acidic and puckery and a few of the last ones I tried, Pinot Noir grapes, Pluot and Seyval Blanc grape Fated Farmers were really complex and great and probably some of my favorites from the series.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notes:
    "Our Fated Farmer Series is a landmark step toward realizing our foundational vision for Trillium: Build a place that intuitively celebrates the intersection of New England farming, agriculture, brewing, and integrated community experience. The grist of each of the dynamic Fated Farmer wild ales is set on the structure of Valley Malt and is barrel fermented in 500L puncheons with our Native New England Wild Culture and aged for 5-7 months, before refermenting on freshly harvested fruit.

Bottled in March of 2019 and enjoying an extended period of bottle conditioning, Fated Farmer: Apricot presents a bright, light straw color in the glass. Pretty aromas of peach mist, apricot preserves, lemongrass, and a kiss of pineapple weave in and out across the palate. Medium-bodied and highly refreshing, this wild ale finishes with structured acidity."

Looks like they held back on this a bit after bottling. I usually find oak aged wild ales to be very pleasing with extended age, so I'm looking forward to imbibing here. Pours a hazy golden yellow with loads of floating sediment, and a creamy dense white foam head with good retention surprisingly for a wild/sour.

Smells amazing, almost like a peach pie lambic. Fresh apricots and stone fruit, peaches, cinnamon-esque graham crackery pie spice, some toasty malts, oak barrel, mild hints of vinegar and vinous cider, musty funk, with herbal earthy dusty hops.

Tastes really tart and puckery, sour lemon, fresh apricot slices, peach preserves, stone fruit, hint of pie spice, toasty bready wheaty malts, slight acetic vinegary white wine, farmhouse apple cider, musty funk, peppercorn, with earthy herbal dusty hop notes.

Feels lighter medium bodied, creamy with smooth moderate crisp carbonation. Fairly dry with a peach apricot toasty wheaty malt and oak barrel finish.

This is a real nice and complex barrel-fermented wild ale with apricots. Super complex aroma, puckering taste at first but I warmed up to it. Complex flavors too, and for a wild ale with fruit to be sitting around like this is a gift to have. This is the type of wild ale that reaches near lambic-like complexities. I enjoy wild/sour beers like this even more than ones that enhance fruit over everything or are super tart and not as complex. They really harnessed the wild musty barnyard farmhouse funk in these beers now, and maybe the age contributes to the complexities as well. I know the owners and team are into beers like Cantillon so the inspiration is there I'm sure. This is probably the closest beer to Fou Foune I've had, simply because most wild ales with apricot are really fruity or not as complex, and I don't think I've had any real lambic with apricots before. This is a pleasure to have at home, and I am grateful to have Trillium as a local brewery, who can now deliver no less. Another great beer from a great brewery as far as I'm concerned. Cheers all!

#38 StoutElk_92, Oct 17, 2020
  39. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (1,942) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society

Zero gravity oktoberfest
    ... cloudy amber
    ..medium light carbonation with about an average body. Does have a little bit of thick fullness to it though.
    Aroma is caramel,malt,grain,yeasty bread
    ..taste is caramel, malt,honey,grain,yeasty bread. Has an almost mild sugar sweetness balanced with a slight hop bite.
    ..overall its a really decent beer that was very enjoyable. [​IMG]

40. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,087) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

These Aecht Schenkerla beers are elemental and are beautifully rendered and a nod to the deep past. These beers are truly classic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.