New Beer Weekend #95

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by SawDog505, May 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkrich

jkrich Pooh-Bah (1,854) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society

I don't have a lot of experience with the India Pale Lager style; I may have imbibed one or two over the past several years. This one is quite refreshing with noticeable citrus and hints of pineapple and marmalade; in fact, this one has three of the most popular hops: citra, cascade, and mosaic. This brewery in Omaha, GA must like the NATO 5.56 caliber shell as that is the alcohol level and the IBUs are 22.3. Very clever.

My only criticism is this one drinks somewhat like an IPA, but that may be normal for the style.
    [​IMG]

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Chaz and 21 others like this.
  2. jonphisher

jonphisher Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This is a special beer courtesy of @Coronaeus that comes via BIF strike...he wanted to share something with me since he learned I was a Leafs fan (thank you so much Pete), well this beer arrived today, on the day of a game 7 at home in Toronto. I was told to open at 7 PM/puck drop so I did. This beer is only available in the province of Ontario according to Molson's site, tonight I drink from the cup for good luck...along with this I got 5 other Canadian beers I will enjoy over the coming weekends.

Molson Canadian - Stanley Cup Batch

[​IMG]

Bad lighting…a beautiful crystal clear light gold. Nice creamy frothy white head lingers; even get some lacing with the nucleated glass.

Aroma smells like a leafs win; combined with a little bit of malty sweetness. Not much else I’ll say maybe just a touch of hops on the nose too.

Taste watered down subtle sweet maltiness; again a touch of nondescript hoppiness. It’s just enough for me to say it’s hops but not much else can be said.

Light body; nice lively carbonation, low low bitterness on the finish; almost more grainy bitter than hoppy bitter.

The perfect beer for tonight…thank you so much for thinking of me @Coronaeus you are the best. The nerves are making me drink this way faster than I normally would have a beer. It is quite tasty for a mass produced lager. GO LEAFS GO!

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Chaz and 24 others like this.
  3. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Grand Pooh-Bah (4,486) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Notch Düsseldorf style altbier

4.02/5 rDev -4.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Canned 1.19, best by 4.19, opened 5.14 , poured into a stange

[​IMG]

Brewers Notes: Düsseldorf style Altbier: A copper colored ale that feels like a lager. Sweet vanilla balances earthy snappy bitterness with rounded notes of dark crusty bread and caramel. Single decoction, open fermented, extended cold lagering time, natural carbonation. The Düsseldorf style of Altbier tends to display more bitterness and less sweetness than other German Altbier.

Ranked #7 on BA for the style

Copper colored liquid with carbonation , three finger taupe frothy cap, settles to a thin layer with spotty lacings

Aroma is bready malt

Taste is bready malt , caramel, bit of pepper

Clean, crisp, gentle hop bite, semi dry finish
    Good beer

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Chaz and 20 others like this.
  4. superspak

superspak Grand High Pooh-Bah (10,336) May 5, 2010 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Have a good Saturday. Got my new Garmin watch to track my workouts and even weight training. Best thing I've bought for my fitness tracker yet. My strava will not be a stranger any longer.

We are at freemans pub on spring garden. I got a offshoot secret dipa. Fantastic dipa. Aromas and flavors of red grapefruit, tangerine, peach, passion fruit, pineapple, mango, melon, guava, blueberry, gooseberry, citrus peel/rind, wood, peppercorn, pine, wheat, cracker, bread dough, toast, herbal, floral, grass, yeast earthiness. Med pine/rind bitter. Medium carb/body. Balanced creamy/ bready malts and sticky/resin/rindy hops. Long resinous drying finish. Mild astringency, warmth, and hop burn. Amazing Citra, mosaic, cashmere profile. Very vibrant, dank, fairly juicy hops with a long west coast resinous finish. 4.2
    [​IMG]

Cheers

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Chaz and 18 others like this.
  5. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Howdy folks, popping in with a new collab brew from Boundary Bay and Kulshan breweries, Super Seniors. it's brewed for the annual Beer Prom event here in town. All the various breweries pair up in collabs, and take the beer to the event. This is a "cold IPA (an IPL in essence): https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28281/603977/

[​IMG]

6. jonphisher

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Are you at the event right now?? All those tents around.

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, MacMalt and 2 others like this.
  7. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

No. BB is hosting a bicycle swap meet/sale in the beer garden today. The prom is next weekend, and benefits Lydia Place, which helps find homes for homeless women and families: https://lydiaplace.org/product/beerprom/

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, MacMalt and 5 others like this.
  8. jonphisher

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Seems like a cool idea, and great name, all local breweries coming together to make beers with another then enjoy them together to support a cause. Neat stuff.

9. superspak

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Some pretty dope apps.
    [​IMG]

The bruery helles. Awesome. Lemon, pear, apple, cracker, toast, bread dough, herbal, wood, grass, peppercorn, and yeast earthiness. Med herbal/peppery bitterness. Crisp clean refreshing finish. Balanced bready/grainy/sticky lt med body. Very flavorful. Very clean lager flavors. Lingering sticky drying finish with no astringency. Spot on style. 4.1
    [​IMG]

Cheers

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Chaz and 17 others like this.
  10. Roguer

Roguer Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,757) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A rare hoppy miss from Beer'd. Definitely hit me up next time you're at The Silo (assuming it's a weekend). It's down the road from me. :grinning:

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, MacMalt and 3 others like this.
  11. Roguer

Roguer Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,757) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Some of my family lives in Palm Beach County - not the same as WPB, the ritzy retiree area. :wink:

My sister could point you in the direction of some solid local breweries (she learned from the best :wink: ). How long are you there?

12. jonphisher

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Now onto a beer from @ovaltine another BIF beer…

Columbus - Pils

[​IMG]

Crystal clear light gold; nice dense white head, thin layer of opaque white remains.

Really pleasant nose; just ever so toasted white bread. A touch of lemon like citrus, soft floral note.

The taste is very similar to nose however there is a really nice grassy spicy hop presence that I didn’t expect from the hop aromas; delicious beer.

Light body, very dry finish low nice little bitterness.

This is a tasty beer; it has just the slightest toasty note that makes it quite enjoyable to me. I love it, thanks Mike, it seems Columbus is just as good at brewing lagers as clean hoppy IPAd.

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Chaz and 21 others like this.
  13. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

14. LeRose

LeRose Grand Pooh-Bah (3,509) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

We went from sweatshirts to tees and shorts overnight this week.Quite an abrupt and somewhat unpleasant transition. Started with gardening chores - some slight progress and a very dirty five year old. He got a good amount of time on the tractor yesterday - bonus smiles.

So in the glass:

[​IMG]

Austin Street Walcott, a 5.7% smoked brown ale, BA classification of Brown Ale - English. The brewer claims "an earthy, wood smoke aroma leads into a flavor profile with hints of chocolate, caramel, and an underlying pleasant smokiness". Well, let's see about that.

Pours a rich, chocolate brown with a gigantic beige head that lasts several minutes before morphing into a layer of soapy bubbles with some cling but not much. Very clear. It's a looker.

The smell is malt- driven - caramel hits me first, then a very mild and earthy smokiness. Just a hint of sweetness. Not much in the hops department which seems consistent with the style. Pretty laid back aroma.

The initial taste is indeed a bit sweet with caramel and very light coffee and chocolate, but with further sips the smoke emerges nicely but never dominates, fairly restrained and I think that is a good thing because there's some acridity building in as well. There is enough sweetness and dark bread malt to hold that in check.

The feel is medium bordering heavy, nicely carbonated. A little bit of chalkiness post-sip.

Hmmmm.... I think this beer is well-made and is squarely within the characteristics for the style - nothing fancy, straightforward, accurate. It would have been easy to pound this with the smoked malt, but I appreciate the restraint allowing the base style to shine. I expected much more smoke and I am glad that is not the case. This is a very good brown ale with a deftly applied twist in the smoke. Recalibration the expectations, this land around a 4.0 and I'd recommend it as a solid brew or if you are looking for a more subtle beer with a pleasant smoky character.

15. superspak

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Blowing rock nitro Belgian jubilee. Great Belgian ipa. Lasting nitro head and soapy lacing. Aromas and flavors of big blood orange, grapefruit, mandarin, lemon, pear, apple, banana, bubblegum, clove, peppercorn, berry, citrus peel/rind, pine, cracker, bread, herbal, wood, floral, grass, yeast earthiness. Med pine/rind bitter and pepper/clove spicy finish. Light carb and lt med body. Creamy/grainy/sticky/resin body. Long resin drying finish. Mild warmth and astringency. Great balanced Simcoe and mandarina profile. Balanced vibrant/dank hops and Belgian yeast complexity. Not a ton of blood orange but adequate. No complaints. 4.03
    [​IMG]

Cuban and brisket sandwiches with fries and Caesar salad.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Chaz and 19 others like this.
  16. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

OEC Coolship Lager Black (Czech Style)
    ABV: 5.4%
    IBU: NA
    [​IMG]
    The aroma initially hits with roasted malts. If I linger a bit, I also pick up chocolate.

Very dark body, a bit hazy (in the actual meaning of the word, not as a marketing euphemism) with a back-light revealing a ruby color and moderate carbonation. One inch tall light tan head, thick and creamy appearing with moderate retention. The head forms a pitted surface as it recedes and leaves thick sheets of lacing down the glass.

The starts with a quick-hit of bitter that is replaced by roasted malts. This then transitions into a malty roastiness with subtle chocolate and dark bread. As it approaches the finish, the bitterness returns resulting in a dry finish and a roasty, malty, creamy-but-bitter aftertaste. NB: The bitterness is notable in contrast with the malt flavors, but this is less bitter than you might find in, for example, a typical Czech pils.

With the big deal made by the brewer on the can label “Coolship & Open Fermented” plus “Coolship” in the name of the beer, I was expecting perhaps a bit of wild funk, but none appeared to my palate.

Mouth feel is thin-moderate, creamy, and smooth.

Overall, a very enjoyable, very drinkable dark lager. A pox on the brewer for the undated can, though.

L: 4.0 | S: 3.75 | T: 4.25 | F: 3.75 | O: 4.0 | Rating: 4.02

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Coronaeus and 22 others like this.
  17. russpowell

russpowell Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,256) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ozark/Toppling Goliath Lake House Haze IPA, 7.0% ABV

Goliath, Citra & Simcoe hops

Pours a very hazed straw color with a thumb+ of tight eggshell colored head. Very good lacing & above average head retention

S: Papaya, guava, green melon, fades a touch as it warms

T: Pineapple, mango, lime & some dryness up front. Pineapple, Kiwi Fruit & dryness as this warms, a little lime too, oranges as well. Finishes with lime, a little pineapple & dryness, plus a touch of passion fruit

MF: Medium body, fairly creamy carbonation, nice balance

Easy to drink, pretty tasty, but had higher hopes for this one

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Coronaeus and 21 others like this.
  18. ovaltine

ovaltine Grand Pooh-Bah (5,911) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Until next Saturday!!!

bbtkd, MacMalt, 2beerdogs and 3 others like this.
  19. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Grand Pooh-Bah (3,842) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

IPL Eins
    [​IMG]
    6% India Pale Lager from Wooly Pig Farm Brewery

Body pours a slightly hazy yellow with a nice head. Good lacing throughout the tasting.

Nose featured a nice floral aroma. Hop bill: Simcoe, Galaxy, Azacca and Saphir.

Taste follows nose as the hops are distinct but not aggressive. Malt comes in briefly to give a lager presence. Finish has a solid bite lead-in then a clean drying effect. No noticeable alcohol presence.

Carbonation is good. Mouthfeel is excellent as the beer goes down like a soft lager.

I’m not familiar enough with IPLs as a style designation to judge it as such, so I’ll just call it a really enjoyable beer.

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Coronaeus and 20 others like this.
  20. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

One of our local breweries out in the county focuses on Farmhouse and wild ales, and once famously said they'd never brew an IPA. Guess what they've brewed? The Five stages of Grief #1 (Denial) is my next new one for today: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45649/604008/

[​IMG]

ChicagoJ, bbtkd, Coronaeus and 20 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.