Notable Releases - DC/NOVA/MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Evan, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Devotee (479) Oct 26, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

2015 Abyss for $18 a bottle at Connecticut ave

2. bat6

bat6 Initiate (190) Mar 10, 2010 District of Columbia

Dirtyhands and cysiam like this.
  3. HopHead32

HopHead32 Initiate (140) Feb 22, 2014 Maryland
    Beer Trader

BA Ten Fidy, Bourbon GBS, and Abraxas at Total wine McLean

4. jmasher85

jmasher85 Defender (648) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Beer Trader

You mean they haven't put it on sale like every other store that's still trying to get it off their shelves?

5. DCgolfpro

Beer Trader

Nope. This is the only place I've seen it (granted I'm not in the city much). If you want a deal on cascade I know where to guide you though. Pretty sure a place in MoCo raised the prices then created a $5 off sale. Brilliant.

SFP04 likes this.
  6. jmasher85

jmasher85 Defender (648) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Sounds like MoCo. I've seen '15 Abyss at Yes 14th, TW McLean, U St., and other places usually for a few bucks off, all within the last few weeks.

7. burugby

burugby Initiate (119) Dec 11, 2015 Maryland

Picked up some Avery Tweak in Baltimore today. Excited to crack this bad boy!

8. DCgolfpro

Beer Trader

Next time mix coffee and jack Daniels 50/50.

9. Myst

Myst Disciple (321) Dec 13, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

That's downtown crown for ya. But even still, they price things imo relatively better then most other stores in MoCo.

b-mc-g likes this.
  10. DCgolfpro

Beer Trader

Bourbon GBS and Biggie Smores at Total McLean as of 9:15am.

11. SublimeDisco

SublimeDisco Initiate (140) Jun 4, 2015 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Haha yeah they've had that on their shelf for what seems like forever.

12. DCgolfpro

Beer Trader

Does the 4-tier system in moco raise the cost of beer for places like Crown or are these MoCo stores just taking advantage of the fact that some locals will pay a little more for convniwnce? I know things aren't much better in Columbia or Frederick.

The raising prices to have a sale thing is embarrassing. I'm kind of glad it's not working.

13. harbinger

harbinger Initiate (142) Jan 30, 2015 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Just two Softly Spoken Magic Spells, with Weird Gilly at calvert woodley, on a metal shelf away from the other beer.

14. DCgolfpro

Beer Trader

Sadly I didn't spot abyss at total McLean this morning. I'm surprised that beer sat for so long.

15. jacewg

jacewg Defender (616) Jan 7, 2012 District of Columbia

The wholecase cost on beer that isn't self distributed is A LOT higher in MoCo than DC.

And frankly there's no "reasonable" price for Cascade. It's the most expensive product in this market. I'd like to sell it for $70/bottle, but I know the market won't bear it.

sulli520 likes this.
  16. DCgolfpro

Beer Trader

Why is it higher?

Why carry a brewery that just sits on the shelf?

17. thomas2357

thomas2357 Aspirant (249) Oct 19, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Any Christmas Morning sightings yet?

18. jacewg

The higher prices in MoCo are due to the DLC. It's essentially another tier of cost that gets added to the product.

I've seen it add anywhere from $40-$100. Also "wholecase" should have been "wholesale."

As for your second point, it's a sound one.

Drankenstein likes this.
  19. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,161) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Wow, and I thought seeing Cascade bottles in the $30-$35 range up in Frederick was crazy. I don't think those beers are moving at all.

I noticed yesterday that Frederick started getting Council beers out of San Diego (or maybe I just starting noticing them and they've been around for a while). $16.99 per bottle, I think 750ml size. Beautitude Rasberry, Mango, Passionfruit and Apricot.

burugby likes this.
  20. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (275) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Haven't seen it anywhere-- did High Westified 6-packs come and go in the District, or is this another DC Lagunitas delay, like with Born Yesterday?

21. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Initiate (141) Dec 13, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Hey BA, Charles here with your DC Singlecut distributor, Pekko Beer. I wanted to address some of the concerns, such as the one above, about the quality control for recent Singlecut beers hitting the market.

First, about the BA Heavy Boots of Lead. We reached out to Singlecut and received this response: "This is NOT a bourbon barrel aged beer, it was aged in neutral oak barrels, and should have a slightly tart and tannic nose (and we're particularly proud of this beer). Please rest assured that we've gone through bottles here and have found no evidence of quality issues or infection."

We have also contacted the brewery in regards to your concerns about Bon Bon 2xTNT IIPA. "[There is] nothing wrong with it, to be honest probably my favorite batch. The yeast flocculated a little more than usual, and since we don't filter OR "flour" our beers, it was slightly clearer than usual."

I have sampled these beers on a myriad of occasions and found there to be no off-flavors or unintentional brewing defects. Quite to the contrary, these beers are tasting fantastic and we have not received any complaints from customers aside from a few things here on Beer Advocate. Please know that Singlecut & Pekko care deeply about the integrity of our beer and will do whatever it takes to maintain it! I will be lurking around more often so please feel free to address any concerns or issues directly to me and I will get your questions answered. Thanks for all the feedback and check your shelves for Softly Spoken Magic Spells and Weird & Gilly!!

Best,
    Charles

#5701 infiniteloop, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Dirtyhands and jmasher85 like this.
  22. LuisCarruthers

LuisCarruthers Initiate (111) Nov 20, 2015 District of Columbia

Interesting. Going with the customer is always wrong approach. Although I have little homebrew experience and an amateur pallet, I have also sampled these beers on a myriad of occasions being from NY and this batch of Bon Bon 2x was way off (not in a good way). Also heard from folks in PA and NY that they experienced the same off taste in this batch. Probably no infections but it certainly speaks to quality control w/ Singlecut. People won't stand for inconsistency when they are buying a $12 16 oz IPA bottle.

23. WWBG

WWBG Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2013 Maryland

Montgomery County is a 4 tier system, which the extra tier adds 25% to our wholesale price compared to D.C/rest of MD/VA. We purposely don't make a full mark up on most items. IF we did we wouldn't be competitive with any other store outside of the county. We do our best and we take advantage of no one.

As for Cascade and your accusation. We didn't raise our price only to mark it down. Cascade has two price points on their wholesale bottles, retail comes out to $34.99 and $39.99 bottle (which is more than fair considering our wholesale price). So we are selling them for $29.99 and $34.99 respectively. Both are marked 5 dollars off because yes.. they don't sell. We won't be bringing them back in.

b-mc-g, jmasher85, sulli520 and 3 others like this.
  24. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (266) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Recently I saw a server at Smoke and Barrel convincingly sell a dude and his date who seemed to be unfamiliar with Cascade on the idea that they needed to purchase a Cascade bottle to drink with their meal. And my though regarding the dude was "Now there's a dude trying really hard to get laid."

SFP04, b-mc-g and jacewg like this.
  25. jacewg

He needs a promotion

26. RKP1967

I should also add that this was on a half price draft night, and there was likely a comparably good sour or two to choose from for a fraction of the price!

b-mc-g likes this.
  27. jacewg

He needs my job

Drankenstein and b-mc-g like this.
  28. burugby

burugby Initiate (119) Dec 11, 2015 Maryland

Yeah, Council has been brand new to the East Coast, and they Actually started distributing to Maryland first!! Not DC or VA or whatever.. nice change for us Marylanders..

29. bubseymour

Beer Trader

"Maryland First"...Trump's new campaign slogan! :-) Seriously though you are correct, that is very rare for Maryland to get something ahead of the other eastern states.

burugby likes this.
  30. bubseymour

Beer Trader

No one ever comments on them as a local brewer, but Flying Dog's Sea Salt Caramel and Holiday Milk Stout are both really nailing it quite well. Had the SSC last week and drinking the Milk Stout as I type. Checked the ratings and the SSC is actually Flying Dog's top rated beer of all time right now (albiet with less than 15 reviews). Worth checking out.

31. JimBrody

JimBrody Initiate (156) Apr 12, 2015 Maryland
    Beer Trader

On a website dedicated almost entirely to rating beer, I think it would be wiser for Singlecut to admit that there is an issue with some bottles (even if they haven't found an issue themselves, enough people are complaining about it with some even comparing the beer to The Bruery's Tart of Darkness) rather than encourage customers to think that's how the beer is supposed to be and rate it accordingly. Just my opinion.

32. JimBrody

JimBrody Initiate (156) Apr 12, 2015 Maryland
    Beer Trader

And just for the record, most people on BeerAdvocate know what an oak-aged stout generally tastes like.

33. b-mc-g

b-mc-g Aspirant (233) Mar 12, 2014 Maryland
    Beer Trader

My buddy just confirmed that he is in fact said server. As a fellow server I can slow clap this shameless upsell.

thomas2357 likes this.
  34. DCgolfpro

Beer Trader

I don't ever recall oak aged yeti ever tasting tart. Must be that new sour maple syrup they're using.... :rolling_eyes:

JimBrody likes this.
  35. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Defender (675) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

CBC H St has some good shit right now

Singlecut SSMS and Weird & Gilly
    couple of Grimm Sours
    BCBS and barleywine

Just to name a few

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  36. Nadtla

Nadtla Initiate (138) Oct 14, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

FWIW - Awhile back I emailed Singlecut about BA Heavy Boots in what I perceived to be sour/infected, this was their response which I thought was better:

infiniteloop likes this.
  37. harbinger

harbinger Initiate (142) Jan 30, 2015 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

SSMS at Connecticut Avenue, with no apparent limit

38. RKP1967

Time to backup the pickup and load it up with $9 pint bottles of an IPA.

Drankenstein and hoppytobehere like this.
  39. DCgolfpro

Beer Trader

Aren't they 22oz?

40. rae24

rae24 Initiate (121) Mar 10, 2015 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Have Lagunitas High West-ified six packs been seen in DC proper yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.