Ommegang’s first foray into lager brewing: Idyll Days Pilsner

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by M-Fox24, Feb 19, 2020.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,042) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

BREWERY OMMEGANG LAUNCHES IDYLL DAYS PILSNER; NEW YEAR-ROUND OFFERING ARRIVES IN MARCH

[​IMG]

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,395) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

The recipe of the beer sounds tasty!:slight_smile:

"...4-packs of 16 ounce cans..." Yuck!:slight_frown:

Why couldn't they have just packaged this is in the 'normal' six-pack/12 ounce format?

If I see this beer on tap I will try a pint. I will not be purchasing packaged beers at inflated pricing.:grimacing:

Cheers!

3. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (543) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Anyone have experience with Belgian lager yeast? Those are two ends of the yeast spectrum for me, so not sure what to expect.

4. JackHorzempa

Society

I have not personally brewed with it yet but White Labs provides a Belgian Lager yeast strain:

“WLP815 Belgian Lager Yeast

Lagers

A clean, crisp European lager yeast with low sulfur production. This strain originates from a very old brewery in west Belgium. Great for European-style pilsners, dark lagers, Vienna lagers, and American-style lagers.”

https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp815-belgian-lager-yeast

The aspect of “low sulfur production” reads consistent with the description of the yeast used to ferment Idyll Days Pilsner:

“…a Belgian lager yeast to give it a cleaner profile with fewer sulfuric notes.”

Based upon my homebrewing experience producing lagers I am not so sure what the benefits of “low sulfur production” truly means since for the lagers I brew the sulfur compounds dissipate over the course of fermentation (and any residual sulfur compounds are processed during lagering). Maybe Ommegang chose this strain since it permits a shorter overall production schedule?

Cheers!

5. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,829) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Here in Houston I haven't seen a Ommegang can in anything other than 16 oz. I am game for this if the pricing is reasonable. I can get Live Oak Pils every day down here for 7.99 to 8.99 a six pack, so it has to compete with that.

Singlefinpin and officerbill like this.
  6. JackHorzempa

Society

Ommegang has the ability to can in 12 ounce cans:

“Our new canning line accommodates 12, 16 and 19.2 oz cans and produces about 40 cans per minute. It occupies a compact space within our packaging facility, even tying into the existing bottling line once the cans are filled and sealed.”

https://www.ommegang.com/2018/05/br...irst-on-site-can-release-neon-rainbows-neipa/

They obviously made a business decision to package their Pilsner in the four-pack/16 ounce can format so I wish you luck as regards “if the pricing is reasonable”.

A few days ago I purchased Sterling Pig Shoats Pilsner: six-pack/12 ounce cans for a total price of $7.99. I will likely just buy another sixer of Shoats Pilsner vs. the Ommegang canned Idyll Days Pilsner but as I stated above I would be willing to purchase a draft pint of Idyll Days Pilsner if I ever see it on tap.

Cheers!

Singlefinpin and donspublic like this.
  7. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (913) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

It does sound tasty and I'm not aware of having beers brewed with Belgian lager yeast, so want to try it. If I stumble upon it on draft I'll certainly order it, but I'm far more likely to encounter the 4-pack. I'm willing pay Ommegang's typical 4-pack price once to try this, but the price makes it highly unlikely to be a repeat buy.

Singlefinpin and JackHorzempa like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

Society

Stella Artois?

Cheers!

9. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,168) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Does Ommegang do anything in 6-packs? Even their 12 oz bottles are sold in 4-packs.

hottenot, officerbill and Jacobier10 like this.
  10. FBarber

Society Trader

Ranbot likes this.
  11. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (913) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Good point...in that case I want to add another data point to my dataset.

FBarber likes this.
  12. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,941) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I will be grabbing a pack when they land, saw this in a video a few weeks ago, looks good.

tzieser likes this.
  13. JackHorzempa

Society

I do not know the answer to your question but my retort would be that providing a new beer (Pilsner) to their portfolio presents them with an opportunity to do 'the right thing' with this new product.

Cheers!

RobHB likes this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Society

Two data points are better than one!?!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

Ranbot likes this.
  15. BSRicky

BSRicky Initiate (27) Jul 4, 2016 Alberta (Canada)

16. alliecapozza

alliecapozza Initiate (64) Feb 19, 2013 New York

Yes, Witte, Nirvana, and Rare Vos are all available in six-packs.

17. islay

islay Disciple (333) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

Pilsners as a desperately needed relief from the sugarmurk of the juice-'n'-pastrymongers? Yes, please.

Pilsners as the latest style that every time-honored brewery feels compelled to put in pounder cans lest their wares be pushed off the shelves? Not a great development.

mikeinportc and beertunes like this.
  18. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,242) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Looking forward to trying this. Would love to get my hands on one of those glasses!

19. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,242) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Even if they are made well and priced appropriately?

meefmoff and FBarber like this.
  20. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,665) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

My assumption was that Belgian lager yeast = Stella, Jupiler, Maes, Bavik, etc.
    While their ale yeasts are incredibly active and bold, their lagers are super clean with next to no character at all IMO.

desint, FBarber and Jacobier10 like this.
  21. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,971) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Could happen...

22. FBarber

Society Trader

Thanks - I haven't seen any of those around here.

alliecapozza likes this.
  23. islay

islay Disciple (333) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

Yes, I think style consolidation is a culturally bad development for the craft beer industry even as I understand the market incentives behind it. To the extent that pilsners are diversifying lineups, great. To the extent that every brewery feels obligated to make one and they crowd other styles off the shelves, not great, even if we get a lot of tasty pilsners out of the deal. It's not worth the loss of variety.

hottenot likes this.
  24. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,078) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I'm excited for this.

mikeinportc likes this.
  25. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (446) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

[​IMG]

26. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,078) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

^ Yeah. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I get excited to see pilsners.

keithmurray, meefmoff, RobHB and 3 others like this.
  27. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Champion (896) Nov 4, 2015 New York

28. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,971) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

From the Ommegang announcement:

29. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,042) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Some early distribution for PA: maybe others

[​IMG]

30. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,903) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

The Allagash Pilsner was outstanding and they used saison yeast I believe. It worked really well. I hope this Ommegang one is a winner.

AlcahueteJ, FBarber and mikeinportc like this.
  31. Rocktire

Rocktire Initiate (66) Jan 15, 2017 New York

Found this on tap at a local brew pub...Craft Beer Cellar in Warwick, NY...excellent

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  32. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (51) Dec 5, 2019

This sounds fantastic. I'm in.

TongoRad likes this.
  33. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,186) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Per our other discussion in the lager thread, I likely won't purchase a four pack of this right off the bat. I'll buy a single can or two to see how it is. And even then, I'm not sure it would be a regular purchase with so many other Pilsners to compete with it on my shelves.

officerbill and FBarber like this.
  34. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,693) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'm partial to the pint cans, myself. With 12oz. I'm just getting started 3/4ths of the way through a glass, so opening another can is a definite; so only 3 'servings' per sixer. With pint cans I can happily make that 4 'servings' if I like.

35. AlcahueteJ

I suppose it all comes down to how you consume beer. I like to try different beers in a session, and I might try 3 - 5 different beers depending on ABV. 16 oz. cans really limit this.

I'm also big on the actual math about how much alcohol I'm consuming. So a beer like Idyll Days is already more than one serving (1.33 standard drinks).

But a beer that's 5% in a 16 oz. isn't really THAT much of an issue to me. What really grinds my gears is a brewery's need to have ALL their beers come in that format. When you're talking about double IPAs and imperial stouts in the 8 - 11% range...well that's just dumb (and irresponsible) in my opinion.

I will forever hate Heady Topper for making that a thing...and for making hazy beer a thing...but that's a different story.

36. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (333) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Where do you shop? I wish I had more pilsners available. I can think of 4 off the top of my head right now, Jacks Abby Post Shift and (seasonal right now) Sunny Ridge, Von Trappe Pilsner, and Victory Prima Pils. At least they are all fantastic beers.

37. AlcahueteJ

Mostly Ball Square liquors in Somerville.

Recently I’ve purchased:

Notch Pils (says best by June, so I assume canned in January, had to pick it up)

Pilsner Urquell (bottled in November, really fresh for that beer)

Sunny Ridge (which you mentioned)

The Standard is coming out in March again

I can’t really think of others I’ve purchased recently, but I’m sure there’s others on the shelves I’m not thinking of. Don’t get me wrong, good Pilsners certainly aren’t as ubiquitous as New England IPAs, but there’s definitely more than there’s ever been.

38. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (426) Mar 5, 2014 New York

Nooooooo. It's not Heady Topper's fault that it is delicious. And 16oz 4pack at 12.50 for DIPA is great deal. Not their fault that people started willingly stand in line for much higher prices

I do get the complaint on 16oz for big stouts, I don't need that much of BCBS or the like

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  39. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (426) Mar 5, 2014 New York

I need to see if my local store can get Post Shift in more regularly. They have JA. Also add Troegs to that list but it's usually old on shelf

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  40. AlcahueteJ

Ha, no I totally agree. My post was sort of tongue-in-cheek.

Heady Topper has probably done WAY more good for the region than bad.

Troegs used to be my favorite US lager brewery. Unfortunately as you've said, good luck finding their beers fresh, if we even see them at all.