Oskar Blues Brewery Introduces Oskar's Lager

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,270) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

American Pale Lager For Everyday Craft Drinking is Added to Year-Round Lineup

Longmont, Colo. (January 21, 2021) A new American Pale Lager from Oskar Blues Brewery, Oskar’s Lager (4.2% ABV), aims to be the everyday craft beer you count on through thick and thin. With 95 calories and 2.5 carbs per 12 oz. can, this lager is an intrepid trail buddy, a frosty fridge friend and an unfailing porch pal. Oskar’s Lager is now available nationwide in 15-packs and 6-packs of 12 oz. cans.

Oskar’s Lager is the kind of beer Oskar Blues brewers always wanted to drink but couldn’t find regularly on draft in their taprooms or available in cans to take on weekend adventures. Using German lager techniques honed for the Slow Chill Lager Series and a handful of collaborations with other craft breweries, Oskar Blues brewers developed an ultra-crisp, smooth lager with depth of flavor and low ABV, allowing for day-long sessioning.

“Beer can be a friend and it brings friends together - a winning combo,” says Ryan Dunnavant, VP of Operations for Oskar Blues. “When developing this recipe, we had in mind a Japanese concept called ‘kire,’ which in the beer world means a pleasing crispness with cleansing properties. Like a conversation with an old friend, Oskar’s Lager is classic, refreshing and invigorating.”

The keys to crafting a beer worthy of being a brewer’s best buddy are the highest quality ingredients you can source - Pilsner malt, toasted rice and Czech Saaz hops. Experience gained creating One-y 100 Calorie Hazy IPA and Wild Basin Boozy Sparkling Water, low calorie beverages with a high crushability quotient, helped the team at Oskar Blues bring Oskar’s Lager to life. Oskar’s Lager is the supremely refreshing beer of choice for after-work shred sessions and post-yardwork showers.

The perfect companion to a 12-pack of Dale’s Pale Ale, Oskar’s Lager is now available nationwide in 15-packs and 6-packs of 12 oz. cans.

https://www.oskarblues.com

###

2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,644) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

The light lo-cal lo-carb lager is the new NEIPA. Just sayin'.

3. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,677) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I like their beers except Ten Fido. The one I like the best you can’t get anywhere for whatever reason and thats Gordons, bur Dales is a very nine beer, Little Yellow Pils also a very nice beer now long gone from distro here. Why? I don’t know, but I’ll try the new beer.

Bitterbill and mikeinportc like this.
  4. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,619) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Yep, goin' on the spring-summer list.

5. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,847) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

I will buy because of the toasted rice aspect.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,143) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, what's up with that? Never heard of it* - as a adjunct or anything else... wait - Did they hire Snap, Crackle and/or Pop?

* Actual "Brewer's Rice" is typically describe as the left-over broken kernels after milling and, for some reason, is notorious for being used in pet food.

bubseymour, Bitterbill and Urk1127 like this.
  7. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (653) Mar 28, 2009 California

I am into this. And Oskar Blues usually has great pricing in my area. Beers like Dale’s Pale ale is $7.99. If the lager is priced the same and has the same quality I am in.

Bitterbill likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,874) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My only experience in brewing with rice is using flaked rice to brew a Classic American Pilsner. For my palate flaked rice is quite flavor neutral.

From a quick web search:

“Toasting the rice creates nutty aromatics.”

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/craft-brewers-find-flavor-and-flexibility-with-rice

It will be interesting to see whether these “nutty aromatics” are perceptible in Oskar’s Lager.

Cheers!

Bitterbill and jakecattleco like this.
  9. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,847) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

I can not find Great Divide Samurai anymore. Although the great divide website says it’s a year round. I’m hoping that it has a similar flavor

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,874) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Maybe he can help:

[​IMG]

Urk1127 likes this.