Release Prairie: Deconstructed Bomb! 4 packs

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by AyatollahGold, Mar 15, 2018.

1. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Zealot (578) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

[​IMG] PAA took to social media yesterday to announce that their Deconstructed Bomb series will be hitting the market in 4 packs, starting yesterday.

JackRWatkins, Tdizzle, Jlabs and 12 others like this.
  2. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,376) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Dang. I may have waited to try them until these came out, but then again, it'll probably be a ~$40 4 pack.

I have yet to try the vanilla and the chili offerings. Vanilla sounds good, but not so sure about the chili.

Love the labels though.

3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,366) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

I'd hazard a guess that most people on BA know Prairie Bomb ... but this is news since they've had the deconstructed bomb on tap at certain events, but releasing it as a four pack off bottles is quite cool.

Here is the twitter post:

As you'll see he shared pretty much all the information shared by Prairie ...

More information on Prairie Bomb can be found HERE or HERE :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Harrison8 and AyatollahGold like this.
  4. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Aspirant (204) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

And...sold!

AyatollahGold and FBarber like this.
  5. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (673) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

That's a pretty cool idea. Never seen bomb not looked for it but I wish others would do a similar thing.

Bottles are nice looking too

Enjoy

AyatollahGold likes this.
  6. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (497) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Dam this is gonna be expensive..... if its like 25$ or so I’d probably pick it up.
    Don’t think I could justify anymore. Unless they were barrel aged.

AyatollahGold and keithmurray like this.
  7. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,968) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

You could easily have found out more by searching beers for Prairie deconstructed.

Tdizzle, FBarber and AyatollahGold like this.
  8. bbtkd

Premium Member

Not barrel aged, and surely not $25, since ow could it be cheaper than four constructed Bombs? It's tricky and dangerous disassembling a bomb. I don't see this being any cheaper than $36, possibly as high as $42.

Invinciblejets and AyatollahGold like this.
  9. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (309) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Why should I have to? If you're going to start a thread about a beer, give some information about the beer. That's not too mich to ask.

peteboiler likes this.
  10. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,366) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

What additional information are you looking for?

11. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,164) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Is it truly deconstructed in the sense do they brew the base beer separately with coffee, chili peppers, etc and then blend it together to create Bomb!? Or are the additives added together when brewing with the base beer? If the latter, I have a technical gripe with this gimmick, sorry. :wink:

bbtkd likes this.
  12. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (342) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

This has existed as a draft only 'thing' for at least a couple years... Churchkey in DC has recycled the concept (if not the actual kegs) several times. I definitely wouldn't pay 40 bones for 4x12oz of imperial stout. Maybe someone else will.

#12 Prince_Casual, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Lahey, kojevergas and SomethingClever like this.
  13. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,164) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Agreed on the PAA pricing per oz being mostly abhorrent (especially when Shelton Brothers are involved). I almost think they should sell the 4 individually at the likely ~10 than in a 4pk at $40. Consumer psychology and all that.

71CrazyOtto and Prince_Casual like this.
  14. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,023) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon

I only know what I was told here in Portland, but was told it was the latter. In other words, I was told that the different variants are brewed separately (with the additives), and then blended together to make bomb.

I would be curious to hear how well these beers sold on draft in other parts of the country, because they did not sell well here in PDX. I'm sure the high price tag had something to do with that, but the beers were on tap at Tin Bucket for several weeks. Just speaking for myself, I wasn't all that impressed with the deconstructed versions, and thought the regular Bomb was better (by far) than any of them. My favorites were the vanilla and chili as I recall, but none of them struck me as standouts. I would not order any of them again frankly. As always, YMMV.

15. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,593) Aug 4, 2014 Texas

Same here, had them at the brew pub a last year and while they were good, the coffee and chili were the standout for me. If I could pick this up for sub $25 I might be tempted, but don't think that is going to happen. They dropped in Tulsa a couple of days ago, haven't seen them in Houston yet.

71CrazyOtto and FBarber like this.
  16. AyatollahGold

Beer Trader

PAA make Bomb! as a base imperial stout and then age it on all the additives (coffee, vanilla, cacao nibs, chili peppers) so in this Deconstructed Bomb! series, they brew Bomb! as normal being only the base imperial stout and then age it on only one additive for each one. (Ex: The description for Bomb! is "Imperial Stout aged on Chili peppers, coffee beans, vanilla beans & cacao nibs" the description for Deconstructed Bomb! Chili Peppers is "Imperial Stout aged on Chili Peppers")

17. bbtkd

Premium Member

If folks won't pay $10 per bottle of imperial stout then they won't be drinking much Prairie. You can sometimes find regular Bomb as low as $8, but usually closer to $10, and the Bomb and Noir variants are typically $11 to $13, or more.

Places that break up packs will have these as singles, but they'll be more than $10 ea I expect.

18. AyatollahGold

Beer Trader

I would say you're right on this. I would hate to have to choose which to buy if I was buying in singles! I want the whole experience. I understand PAA is pricey but if anything this is one of their more creative and unique offerings that I feel like justifies pricing. I won't pass if I see them.

DoctorZombies, Jpingy and Harrison8 like this.
  19. bbtkd

Premium Member

Would be fun to compare reconstructed Bomb to regular Bomb! That would make an epic session, five 13% ABV beers. More likely, as I've already had coffee and chocolate, I'll cut a vanilla and a pepper from the herd and keep the cost down.

20. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,376) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri

I've read very, very mixed reviews on each version of the Deconstructed series. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's held some people back from purchasing. Most beers seem to be hovering around the 4/5 mark on Untappd (which is displayed at most bars around here).

Personally, if I didn't want to try a few of these, I would pass solely based on the low-ish rating (Untappd ratings usually seem inflated anyway) vs. price point.

The vanilla and chili are the two I haven't had. A local place is doing growler fills of chili now (I missed vanilla). I may swing by and get it, but I'd hate to gamble 32oz of beer based on if I'll like it or not. I'll see if I can't pick up a Deconstructed pack first.

Based on my own experiences, I've found Prairie's pricing varies substantially across the US. I've traded with people from Nebraska who are paying $10 for Bourbon Paradise, and $6-7 for Bomb with the Noirs falling in the middle there. Where as, Bomb goes for $8-9 around here, Bourbon Paradise for $12, and the Noirs for around $9-10.

I'd love to be able to pay $6 for Bomb. I might actually drink it more frequently.

#20 Harrison8, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    FBarber and AyatollahGold like this.
  21. ShepOK

ShepOK Initiate (128) Feb 6, 2016 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

Saw it for $27 yesterday in OK...

22. AyatollahGold

Beer Trader

Thanks for the info. I would definitely buy it for that. But that is in OK. Where PAA is always cheaper. I bet it will be 40 here in Indiana.

Jaycase likes this.
  23. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (161) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

I have a feeling that it'll be in singles around these parts. Due to how "limited" it is aka "we can charge/make more money this way". I have never ever seen any high ABV Prairie stout in 4pks here.

Harrison8 and AyatollahGold like this.
  24. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (424) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

Wonder if anyone has ever tried to blend the 4 to recreate Bomb and wonder how close they got.

tmalt and AyatollahGold like this.
  25. Slapchop07

Slapchop07 Initiate (126) Feb 14, 2018 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I don’t understand all the griping about Prairies pricing. A lot of breweries that do special releases sell 22-25oz bottles between $20-$35 (average). If you buy two 12oz bottles of prairie at $10 each that puts you right around the low end of a standard limited bottle release and that’s without having to go stand in line for hours on end. And personally, most of prairie’s beer is better than a large majority of limited releases I’ve had. I bet if prairie sold their beer in 22oz bombers for $18-$20 there would be a lot less griping despite the fact that you’d be paying almost exactly the same per oz.

26. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,593) Aug 4, 2014 Texas

Well those special releases are usually barrel aged, so a $10 12oz adjunct stout can be a tough call. Granted it is 13% abv, if I can get bomb here for $7.49 I would like to see this around the $7 mark or less

27. bbtkd

Premium Member

My favorite beers are Prarie stouts, but they're tough to get and expensive so I have to settle for lesser beers that are cheaper and available. If they could expand production and drop the price I would just drink Prairie stouts. Would even give up water.

28. ClarkVolk

ClarkVolk Initiate (105) Dec 11, 2016 Massachusetts

It's likely you've never seen it in 4 packs because the distributors receive it as a case of 12 single bottles.

tmalt likes this.
  29. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,023) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon

I agree with you. Paradise is $8 a 12 ounce bottle here in PDX, so roughly around $15 for a bomber (and we have no sales tax here). Frankly, I think that's a hell of a deal for such a great beer, and I appreciate that Prairie sells it in such a user friendly format (as I can actually make it through a bottle of Paradise by myself, something I likely couldn't do if it came in a bomber)

That being said, an $8 pour for an 8 ounce glass of desconstructed bomb is a bit spendy, especially when compared to other options on a local taplist. Personally, I also wasn't that impressed with the beers, and I think here in PDX my reaction was fairly typical. So that tended to make it a tough sell as well.

That being said, I don't understand the criticism about their pricing either. Here in the NW, $20 to $25 for a bomber of BA stout is fairly typical, and while that's considered an expensive beer, I don't hear a lot of complaints about the pricing. Yet for some reason "high prices" for the bomb and noir bottlings is a complaint I hear on a regular basis (even though they're actually a bit cheaper than what is perceived to be a fairly normal price for BA stouts).

#29 John_M, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  30. TheBrewsky

TheBrewsky Defender (686) Apr 23, 2017 California

This is really awesome looking. I will be on the lookout for these. Bottle art 10/10 in my opinion.

31. bbtkd

Premium Member

Perhaps putting too much thought into this, but what's the motivation for coming out with deconstructed beers? Are we supposed to drink each, say "that sucks", then realize how good "constructed Bomb" is? Or is it just for the hell of it - and a way to sell some more beer? Or might they use feedback on mixing them to come up with a new and more appealing beer?

Personally, I think anything they do that takes resources from making more of their hits such as Pirate Bomb, BA Bomb, Bourbon Paradise, etc is an unnecessary distraction. Granted, these all require rum and bourbon barrels where Bomb doesn't.

32. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (342) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

I don't agree with that, at all. As @donspublic said, if you have a non-BA'd beer, there's no excuse for being that high. In fact I'd argue that's where I am seeing the lowest turnover (shelfturding)... $15-20+ bombers/750s of nonBA'd, "pastry" or "adjuncty AF" beers, just sitting on the shelf indefinitely until they are marked down and not reordered. It would be awesome to run analysis on these factors at a large retailer like Total Wine or the like, nationwide. I'd bet ANYTHING the most consistent factor in having high turnover for large format (22oz+)beers isn't brewery, style, abv, BA rating,... it's being under $9 on the shelf, which $/oz is about half of Prairie.

I personally don't even like to buy 4pks over $12 or 6pks over $16, with all the options these days it simply feels like a waste of money when you can buy something nearly as if not more enjoyable for $12/6pk. I buy a fair amount of Bruery club beers because I can justify monster abv and barrel aging... and I appreciate that the Bruery beers are proportionally priced lower when the brew/aging process wasn't as costly. Cheers!

33. bbtkd

Premium Member

I've been chastised for criticizing the price of high-ABV non-BA beer, with folks pointing out that it costs breweries more for ingredients to jack the ABV. Still, I'd like to see the math on that. Does it really cost 4-5x to make the high ABV beers, justifying the 4-5x prices?

fehrminator, waltari, tmalt and 2 others like this.
  34. 71CrazyOtto

71CrazyOtto Initiate (183) Mar 30, 2010 Michigan

Prairie brewed some great wild ales but they only came in 16.9 ounce tiny bottles, sigh. They need to release a lot more of their great beers in four and six packs because if they did, I would buy regularly.

35. kojevergas

kojevergas Poo-Bah (7,637) Aug 15, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I love Prairie's beers. That said:

Fuck this. Fuck the Shelton Bastards.

North Coast Old Rasputin is $10 per 4-pack, folks.

Jaycase likes this.
  36. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Defender (622) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia

My heart says YES but my wallet is screaming NO.

Who will win? Find out next time on BeerAdvocate Z.

37. Lazhal

Lazhal Disciple (364) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Do they own Prairie or is there some type of mutually beneficial relationship there?

I can't think of any other beers that fly off the shelves like these at $12 / 12oz bottle. Part of me is baffled, the other part of me remembers such is the state of BA stouts these days.

38. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Zealot (505) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

I just got home from OKC and these 4 packs were all over the place, but I didn't check the price only because I was interested in buying. I think it's a cool concept, but out of all their stouts, the deconstructed series does nothing for me. I tried a few of them when they initially rolled out on draft, but just wasn' a big enough fan to seek it out.

39. bbtkd

Premium Member

A guy from Nebraska indicates he just paid $27.99. I'm shocked and amazed that they sell that low, though still expensive. I'll still just try to get the Vanilla and Chili Peppers I haven't had.

40. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (323) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I tried bomb at 10 bucks for a bottle. It was good, but I won't be back at that price. I certainly won't buy this 4 pack. The chili beer would be a drain pour most likely for me. Prarie makes great beer if you're swimming in cash. I just can't justify 80- 90 cents an oz unless it's a special occasion or at the bar.

Harrison8 likes this.