Priming sugar for yeast starter

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by magoo0903, Dec 1, 2018.

1. magoo0903

magoo0903 Initiate (95) Nov 26, 2008 North Carolina

guys
    I’m low on DME for a yeast starter. I boiled 5oz of priming sugar in 2 qt of water.
    It has been 24 hours on a magnetic stir plate and nothing.
    Brew day is in 48 hours
    Will it work or should I dump this mixture?
    Thx
    Matt

2. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (204) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

Oh heavens. The yeast might still be alive and usable but your "starter" did nothing. Risk using it as is, or buy DME and add it for a day before using. Dumping it would not be wrong but seems like a sad waste as it might be alive.

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,469) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

What do you mean by nothing? No krausen? That's maybe not surprising since there are no proteins in your "wort." Also, it would be nutrient deficient. Some sugars were probably eaten, but it's doubtful that you got any significant growth. Also, using just simple sugar predisposes the yeast to eat simple sugar, and to not make the enzymes/transports needed for more complex sugars. So this simple sugar starter was arguably worse than no starter. OTOH, the yeast is probably viable if you want to make a proper starter with it.

#3 VikeMan, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  4. magoo0903

No Krausen and no sign of growth.
    I will try to get some DME and do another starter tonight.
    For now I’ll turn off the stir plate and let the yeast settle in the bottom. I’ll dump the top and pitch it is another starter.
    Dang it

5. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (367) May 2, 2006 Utah

I'd buy some fresh yeast and, if necessary, make a proper starter. Keep the yeast happy and they will keep you happy. Cheers!

MrOH likes this.
  6. magoo0903

Ok. I kept the original starter away from the stir plate and cold for a few hours. Did a proper DME starter in 1.5 qt
    Pitched the newest starter in the bottom of the original starter where most of the yeast was.
    It will be ok. Right!?!
    Cheers and thanks

7. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,469) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Probably.