Pumpkin ales and spiced rum?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nick0417, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick0417

nick0417 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Illinois

Long story short, I went through my cellar with Halloween on the horizon and found a lone bottle of Schlafly’s Pumpkin Ale, which used to be my go-to pumpkin beer but has really fallen out of favor in recent years. I’m wondering about dropping a shot of dark rum in a pint of it to inject a fresh or interesting flavor?

Have others tried this? Or, are there other liquors worth adding to pumpkin beers to make them a little more special or complex?

2. MaximumYuks

MaximumYuks Devotee (435) Nov 30, 2013 Oregon

3. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,166) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

The bourbon BA pumpkin beers I've had were all good, I've never had the rum variety though. I say go for it, I may try it myself now that you mentioned it.

4. nick0417

Thanks, folks. Yeah, just to clarify: I'm talking about dropping a shot of rum into a pumpkin ale. It sounds sort of interesting, but we all know how 'sounds interesting' sometimes turns out.

5. ArkansasTraveller

ArkansasTraveller Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Arkansas

Sounds like a really good idea. Gonna be tryin it this weekend.

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  6. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (162) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia

I'd think a full shot would probably ruin the beer, start with 1/2oz or less and go from there.

Morey, Dupage25 and EyePeeAyBryan like this.
  7. nick0417

Good call. I was actually thinking that too. Drop half a shot in the bottom of the glass, then pour the beer, let it warm just a touch and see what happens.

8. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (226) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

The only beer you can't ruin with a full shot of liquor is Lindemans Raspberry. It's so goddamn sweet anyway you barely notice it.

A number of the spices commonly seen in pumpkin beers are already found in spiced rum. I would just add unspiced rum if it was me.

9. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Funny you start this thread, OP, cuz I saw an ad for Captain Morgan in which they suggest something like "spicing up your pumpkin ale with Captain Morgan." I thought it seemed an interesting idea. Please let me know if you try it and what the result is.

I sometimes pour a half ounce of cold-brewed coffee into my snifter before pouring a stour or Black IPA with excellent results. Maybe one day I will try it with an IPA to see what results. Homemade Dayman?

10. SebD

SebD Meyvn (1,456) Nov 24, 2010 Ontario (Canada)

A Stour you say? Sour Stout? Sounds like a funky mix. Hahaha!

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  11. MrIncognito

MrIncognito Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Virginia

I added about an ounce of aged rum (15 yrs) to the last half of my Devil's Backbone Ichabod Crandall pumpkin ale. It was awesome! I loved it and would do it again. That beer is quite tasty on its own and then the extra rum shot created a nice dessert beer/nightcap

Thanks for the idea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.