Referend Bier Blendery

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by HopBomb515, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

So, there is a brewery in Hopewell brewing sour beers. Looks like a bottle release Saturday the 15th. Does anyone have any experiences?

2. Timmush

Timmush Aspirant (257) Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey

They are actually a blendery. Using spontaneous fermentation with a mobile coolship. Pretty amazing stuff.

3. jaymeisprime

jaymeisprime Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2014 New Jersey

big fan of the stuff i tried at the blendery. cool spot too, 15-20 minutes away from troon

Beers-es and DrStiffington like this.
  4. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,113) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

5. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,147) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Open Tasting Day / 1st Bottles Available
    Saturday, April 15th, 2-8pm

• Berliner Messe: Alleluiavers bottles are available beginning at 2pm and will be sold from the driveway to the right of the main entrance. You may purchase up to 3 bottles, at $18/75cl bottle. Cash only for bottle sales, credit accepted in the tasting room for cask pours.
      These bottles are Easter brunch ready as an improvement upon the Bellini, or can be cellared for years in the name of delayed gratificatio...n.
    • Jung: Oloroso, fermented and aged for 6 months in Oloroso Sherry casks, will be poured by gravity in the tasting room.
    • OED is a new name for a now old beer. We are celebrating the graduation of certain barrels from the young "Jung" to the old "OED". OED will also be poured by gravity in the tasting room tomorrow.
    • As usual, there will be a selection of 3-4 Berliner Messes on cask

Nina's Waffles of Princeton will be on hand early on to round out your palate's enjoyment!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ieatlambfries and HopBomb515 like this.
  6. jaymeisprime

i wonder if these bottles will last til next saturday.

7. M-Fox24

Trader

They will have bottles for onsite consumption in the coming weeks. So perhaps thats the game plan for what's left over, if any

8. SPRichard

SPRichard Devotee (409) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Sold out around 3pm

9. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,108) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Wow. One hour? Damn a few months ago this brewery didn't even exist.

SammyJaxxxx and HopBomb515 like this.
  10. SPRichard

SPRichard Devotee (409) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Not sure what to total amount for sale was, but there were about 30-40 people in front of me in line and when I got to the front there wasn't much left on the pallet they were getting boxes from.

Eventually everyone was in line for pours and I saw a few people go back for seconds of bottles. Seems like the brewery didn't have a problem with it. There was a good 15-20mins where there was no line.

DrStiffington likes this.
  11. Ieatlambfries

Ieatlambfries Zealot (580) Dec 5, 2003 New Jersey

Sad I missed this with the Kane release today.

Nice to see their first bottle release be a success though.

HopBomb515, Timmush and DrStiffington like this.
  12. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Initiate (148) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Lucky enough to get here shortly after open after leaving Kane earlier. 20 mins or so after 2 there was no line at all for bottles, despite a large line for pours. Never seen the place so busy before. Congrats

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  13. beertoro

beertoro Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

Not just that it sold out in one hour when it didn't even exist... but these aren't styles that the average beer drinker typically go after, so THAT alone makes me happy.

14. M-Fox24

Trader

15. mumbles44

mumbles44 Aspirant (237) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

hoping to go this weekend.

Just curious do they fill growlers or do anything to go? or is this strictly onsite pours?

16. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (79) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

Strictly onsite, I think. At least it was when I went 2 months ago. I couldn't even begin to guess how much a growler fill would be here, based upon their 6oz pour prices.

DrStiffington likes this.
  17. M-Fox24

Trader

Best bet would be to follow social media; they may fill (pre-fill) a very limited number of growlers. Hence, be there early:

"Look for them again in April or May, but then much more regularly."

18. M-Fox24

Trader

Collaboration sounds killer, so will the anticipation:

"What sets this apart (physically as well as philosophically) from every other wort we've brewed, is that we've welcomed these esteemed brewers' mixed cultures into the blendery. This barrel stack, comprised of Pinot Noir and Syrah barrels from Alba in Milford, NJ, contains one barrel per brewery of pitched mixed cultures on the bottom row. These are cultures that have been lovingly cared for, propagated, selected for the attributes each brewer prizes in a beer of mixed fermentation. The three barrels at the top of the pyramid are none of those things — they are purely spontaneous as usual."

19. jaymeisprime

i was lucky enough to get 1 of the 12 growlers. the fill - while being "still" - was great.

21 bucks is kinda steep for 75cl. I would definitely not mind paying a little less (and for gloria, love that beer).

kthoag likes this.
  20. mumbles44

Trader

how were the prices?

21. M-Fox24

Trader

22. Chroma914

Chroma914 Initiate (79) Oct 13, 2006 Pennsylvania

^

Just to note, those are for (I believe) 6 oz pours. Maybe the glass was 8%, but either way, it's a bit pricey. Definitely a cool place to experience, but it's not a place I would go back to regularly, like Conclave or Troon.

23. mumbles44

Trader

Thank you both. Plan on hitting Troon likely too. Was even thinking of crossing the bridge to Vault.

anywhere you recommend reasonablly close by?

24. RutgersBeerGuy

RutgersBeerGuy Aspirant (267) Jan 16, 2007 New York
    Trader

Visited a few weeks ago (April 8). I got there shortly after 2 PM and it was very quiet. Started with a glass of Jung (superb, just superb) and took a seat along the wall looking in on the barrels. I sipped and read a book, staying for nearly two hours with glasses of Alleluiavers, Gloria, and Veni Sancte Spiritus along the way.

Traffic definitely picked up pretty quickly. Sitting where I was, I overheard a bunch of conversation and there certainly seemed to be a good many people doing some combination of Troon, River Horse, Vault, and Referend. A lot of people for whom this was their first exposure to beer of this style, as well.

Most of all, I was incredibly impressed by the owners. While I didn't engage with them personally aside from ordering my beer (I was focused on the Dickens I was reading), I caught a lot of their conversations with other patrons and was incredibly impressed. They're fantastic advocates for the work they do and the beer they make. There was one patron, from one of the groups touring multiple breweries, who was frankly a total jerk. Loudly dismissive of the beer, insistent that they need to brew stout, chugged his glass "to get it over with," and so on. The owners took it stride, with an aplomb that was far more than the man deserved. I was cringing for them and yet they were completely cool.

It's a unique place and one that I plan to revisit. Considering the remarkably good quality of the beer, I found the prices completely reasonable.

Oh, one last note: the narrow, stange-like glasses they use are absolutely wonderful. They felt great in the hand and are beautiful, as well.

25. M-Fox24

Trader

26. M-Fox24

Trader

27. M-Fox24

Trader

28. Ieatlambfries

Anyone who was at Saturday's release pop a bottle of Agnus Dei yet? If so, how was it? I may pop one of my bottles tonight.

29. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey

I got a bottle and didn't pop it. I ordered it on draft first and then got it and the dude pouring said it's very "different" in the bottle than on draft. I'm guessing there's carbonation in the bottle hence the cork...

Ieatlambfries and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  30. Ieatlambfries

Well popped a bottle last night and you sir are correct. Very effervescent. Champagne like in fact.

Great beer as well. Maybe my favorite of the Berliner Messe variations that I've tried. The influence of the vidal blanc grapes and juice is very noticeable. Works well with the biting carbonation.

31. jaymeisprime

did these bottles sell out too?

32. M-Fox24

Trader

digdug1810 likes this.
  33. M-Fox24

Trader

We are excited to announce our extended open hours! Beginning this week, The Referend will be open on Thursdays & Fridays from 4 -7 PM. Our Saturday hours remain in effect.

Cask pours by the glass, growler fills, and bottles of Berliner Messe - Agnus Dei are all available during all open hours.

[​IMG]

34. M-Fox24

Trader

35. RutgersBeerGuy

Trader

I was surprised by how mellow and well-integrated Veni Sancte Spiritus was when I had it on cask. Interestingly, it might have been the most "approachable" of the beers available on that given day.

36. M-Fox24

Trader

I like where this is going...

37. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Aspirant (218) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

How's the place look, today? Any news?

38. Axic10

Axic10 Defender (626) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

I was just there and it's dead with plenty of bottles left.

39. Fahmie25

Fahmie25 Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2008 New York

Great day at referend, as always. It's amazing that more people aren't there, but I can't complain. Sanctus lasting this long is absolutely wonderful. It's so good. Someone called it "st lam light" and I think that's 100% accurate

[​IMG]

digdug1810 and RutgersBeerGuy like this.
  40. RutgersBeerGuy

Trader

I was there Thursday night for about an hour between 5 and 6. When I arrived, there was one patron there. In the hour I was there (reading and drinking lovely glasses of Nelson Sauvin Jung and Liber Novus), one other customer came in.

It's is bonkers that Referend isn't busier. In a sea of hazy IPA and overpriced can releases, they're doing genuinely interesting stuff, with an incredibly high level of craft. And they seem like genuinely nice (and hyper-literate) people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.