Site Retired beers that aren't

Discussion in 'Support & Suggestions' started by Thomas_Wikman, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Thomas_Wikman

Thomas_Wikman Defender (601) Jan 8, 2016 Texas
    Supporter

Quite often when I want to review a beer it says that the beer is "retired no longer brewed", and the note may be several years old. Yet, on the beer label on the bottle that I am drinking from it says it was bottled last month. Sometimes I make a comment under the update section.

I am wondering, what "evidence" is needed for the update to happen? Or is it perhaps better to add a new beer with the same name? I am asking about the latter because the 2013 release may be quite different from the 2017 release.

2. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (4,850) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Recently, I've had it happen to me twice.

Cheers!

Thomas_Wikman likes this.
  3. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,078) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Don't add a new one please. Simply submit an update, and select type "Not retired (still brewed)" and explain what tells you that - bottle, website, etc. I've done this many times. Ideally you can include a link that shows it on the brewery website.

4. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Meyvn (1,354) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan

@bbktd is right. Unless it's a specific vintage, like Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest collaborations each year.

Usually I find a beer has been listed as retired only because it hasn't been reviewed in a while, or only has a handful of reviews, not because the brewer has indicated it. I don't know the algorithm that determines the status.

JakeScully, Thomas_Wikman and bbtkd like this.
  5. JamFuel

JamFuel Meyvn (1,086) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden

I think it's based on time, when you choose Limited (brewed once) when you add the beer. After a set amount of time it goes to retired. I could be wrong, though! I think when adding beer, unless you know for certain a beer is a one-off, put it as Rotating.

6. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,078) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

It is based on time, but I couldn't find the post from when an administrator said how it worked.

7. JamFuel

JamFuel Meyvn (1,086) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere...

VABA, Thomas_Wikman and bbtkd like this.
  8. macrosmatic

macrosmatic Poo-Bah (1,927) Mar 9, 2006 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'm fairly certain @Todd has said that if a beer is entered as Limited (Brewed Once), the system automatically retires it after one year.

@Thomas_Wikman - I would echo what has been said on here. Please don't enter it again. You can review a beer even if it's still marked as "Retired", and just submit an update to get it marked as Active again. IME, it's one of the Update Requests that gets handled the fastest anyway.

9. Todd

Todd Founder (5,425) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

10. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (5,912) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

11. Todd

Todd Founder (5,425) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

No. Only beers tagged as limited.

woodychandler and Thomas_Wikman like this.
  12. Thomas_Wikman

Thomas_Wikman Defender (601) Jan 8, 2016 Texas
    Supporter

OK thank you everyone for your help.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.