Salida Co June 15 - June 21 2015 Suggestions

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Shafaegalo, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shafaegalo

Shafaegalo Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2014 Texas

Will be heading to Salida CO for a week starting June 15 to raft Browns Canyon and do a little mountain biking. Driving up from Houston, TX. I've done some research on beer in the area but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that would be considered a not miss.
    Plan on hitting the following:
    Elevation Brewing
    Eddyline
    Amicas
    Moonlight Pizza & Brewpub
    Royal Gorge Brewing
    Walter Brewery and Shamrock Brewing in Pueblo

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Steve_0

Steve_0 Initiate (187) Mar 14, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

3. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,682) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Depends on if you're taking 285 or I70, but Backcountry in Frisco is a do not miss if you're off I70. Even off 285, it isn't terribly far out of the way - maybe 30 minutes each way. They're among the best in the state.
    Also off I70 would be Pug Ryan's, Dillon Dam, and Broken Compass in Breckenridge.

EDIT: Thinking about it, you're coming from the south, so you'd be off 285. Still, if you're heading up to Eddyline (which is good, IMO), heading over to Breck and Frisco isn't too much further out of the way. You'll get to pass through Fairplay, the town South Park is based upon, on the way, too.

#3 Domingo, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  4. alexipa

alexipa Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2011 Colorado

A not miss in Salida in June? I'd say you have that pretty well handled (rafting/mountain biking). In all seriousness though, Moonlight is awesome as is Eddyline and Elevation. I wouldn't bother heading to Frisco/Breck personally.

Moonlight is seriously underrated IMO and is one of my favorite food/beer stops in all of CO. June may be a bit early (snow pack will still be hanging around), but that area is incredible for hiking and fly fishing as well.

5. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Aspirant (227) Jun 26, 2007 Colorado
    Trader

I wouldn't take 285 or 70, I would cut off of 25 south of Pueblo and ride through Great Sand Dunes park. With as little snow as we have had this year Monarch Crest may be rideable, if not the trails out of town at lower elevations are great also.

6. Shafaegalo

Shafaegalo Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2014 Texas

Thanks for the feedback guys!

7. djs467

djs467 Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2011 Colorado

All of the places mentioned above are great. I was in Salida 3 weeks ago and we went to a restaurant downtown called Currents (http://salidacurrents.com/).
    They had a really nice beer list, albeit limited, but some real gems on there.
    Food was good also and they appeared to have quite the Bourbon list.

8. angelmonster

angelmonster Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2008 Colorado

I'm headed to Buena Vista in three weeks, anything round there I should check out. Staying across the street from eddyline

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.