Release Schlafly's White Lager is Now a Year-Round Release

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (7,866) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Subscriber

(ST. LOUIS; March 20, 2017)—Schlafly Beer announces today on the first day of spring that The Saint Louis Brewery™ will add its hazy, unfiltered White Lager to its portfolio of year-round releases. White Lager joins the year-round line-up of Pale Ale, Kölsch, Oatmeal Stout, Grapefruit IPA and Expo IPA (exclusive to St. Louis) at the largest, locally owned brewery in Missouri.

The German-style beer offers an unfiltered twist on traditional lagers as the beer retains its yeast. The style, also known as Zwickelbier, dates back to the Middle Ages with a noticeably hazy, golden hue, hint of orange zest, and silky finish. With 25 IBUs and a strong malt backbone of Europils and wheat, White Lager presents the drinker a smooth and zesty full-flavored beer that clocks in at 5.5% ABV.

“Lagers continue to come back into favor for both craft beer enthusiasts as well as novices,” explains Ambassador Brewer Stephen Hale. “We heard from so many customers the sentiment that, ‘I could drink this all year,’ and we agree. The mild citrus component paired with the robust, smooth mouthfeel makes you want to keep drinking White Lager.”

Schlafly developed the White Lager as part of its Small Brews program, a weekly experimental brewing day at the Bottleworks location on the brewery’s 20-gallon system. White Lager debuted in 2015 at Schlafly’s HOP in the City, the annual fall beer festival at the Tap Room location. Of the 40 styles of Schlafly Beer showcased at the event, White Lager was the first to run out, cuing the company to the beer’s potential in the wider marketplace. After its 2016 success as a seasonal release, the brewery decided to increase its run to year-round.

White Lager can be purchased in growlers at the Growler Bar at the Bottleworks location or in six-packs ($8.99 suggested retail) across the brewery’s distribution region. The beer can also be enjoyed on draft at the Schlafly Tap Room or Bottleworks brewery-restaurants as well as select on-premise locations. For more on Schlafly Beer’s distribution and White Lager, visit www.schlafly.com/beers/distribution. Find high-resolution images here.

About Schlafly Beer: Founded in 1991 in St. Louis, Schlafly Beer is the largest locally owned and independent craft brewery in Missouri, proudly offering more than 60 unique styles of craft beer. The celebrated brewing company continues to define craft with a dedication to sourcing the best ingredients, supporting local sustainability and community efforts whenever possible, and delivering a superior beer experience from year-round to limited-edition styles. In 2016, the brewery used 102 hop varietals, 77 malts and grains, 59 different spices and fruits, and 10 different yeast strains to make its beers. Schlafly Beer’s production of 60,000 barrels of beer took place between its two brewery-restaurants, Schlafly Tap Room (2100 Locust St.) in downtown St. Louis, and Schlafly Bottleworks (7260 Southwest Ave.), located in Maplewood. The Schlafly Tap Room was the first new brewpub to open in St. Louis since Prohibition and is housed in a restored wood and brick building on the National Historic Register. Schlafly Bottleworks offers free weekend tours every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 12-5 p.m. on the hour, and every half hour on Saturdays. Schlafly Tap Room offers free brewery tours every Sunday. For a full listing of Schlafly Beers and for more information on distribution, visit www.schlafly.com. Find Schlafly Beer on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

###

horsehockey and HermitDan like this.
  2. zid

zid Crusader (721) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I just picked up a sixer of this. I've seen this beer called a Hefeweizen. I don't know if that was a mix-up, or if something changed with the beer, or if "White" had anything to do with it. Regardless, my sixer said "Zwickelbier" and this beer certainly resembled that more than a hefe. I've only had 1/2 of a beer from the pack so far (split the bottle), but my first impression is that this will be a very enjoyable sixpack to drink. Looking forward to having more to see how my impression might change.

@TongoRad
    @JackHorzempa
    @guinness77

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,577) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

Chris, perhaps they labeled this beer as a Hefeweizen in the past to 'highlight' the fact that it has wheat as part of its grain bill?

A lager that has wheat in its grain bill is atypical.

I will keep my eyes open for this beer.

Cheers!

4. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (7,841) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

"The style, also known as Zwickelbier, dates back to the Middle Ages with a noticeably hazy, golden hue, hint of orange zest, and silky finish."

I'm confused by this statement. Other than the fact that all beer would have been hazy during the Middle Ages (5th to 15th Century) it doesn't seem to make sense. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong.

• Would not all beer at that time have been fairly dark, and most likely a bit smoky?
    • Were oranges, or any other tropical citrus fruits available in Germany during the Middle Ages - at least in quantity to use as a brewing ingredient?
    • And is not "zwickel" a modern german word that refers to the sample port on a fermenter or bright tank - not a word that would have existed during the Middle Ages, and certainly not a word that would have referred to brewing vessels at that time.
    • Additionally, the Reinheitsgebot of 1516 would have disallowed wheat. Perhaps, however, that led to the demise of the style?

Aren't we really talking about a kellerbier here, and one that's made with wheat and orange zest as additions? I'm all for new styles and experimentation, but I'm going to have to call bullshit on this unless someone's got some history to back it up.

#4 NeroFiddled, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  5. JackHorzempa

Why are you insisting that facts should back up a marketing story?:rolleyes:

Cheers!

P.S. This reminds me of an old joke:

How do you know when a marketing person is lying?

His lips are moving.

6. zid

Beer Trader

[​IMG]

I had a chance to enjoy 3 of these at once rather than the little half bottle from before. With low expectations, I'm definitely pleasantly surprised by this beer. I love it. The whole "Middle Ages" copy is just marketing nonsense as @JackHorzempa mentioned. The name "White Lager" strikes me as a bad choice. It feels like there is a micro-micro resurgence in Kellerbier/Zwickelbier lately. I'll enjoy that ride while it lasts. It's not a tag that will sit well with people who have strict style expectations however. Don't go into this expecting a replication of other Kellerbiers or Zwickelbiers. This beer is a lovely light amber. There's no cloudiness at all. Malt is nicely light and round. There's a spicy hop note that doesn't jump out at you but is certainly there. If there is actual orange zest in this then I wouldn't have thought so if had blind. This beer is very balanced - everything is in the right place. I gave half a bottle without explanation to someone who doesn't know anything about beer styles and she said that this beer makes her want pretzels and sauerkraut. I've cut my beer intake this year, but this might be my favorite beer of 2017 so far. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that this is yet ANOTHER beer that is fresh in my market at the moment... and then I'll never see it fresh here again.

@TongoRad
    @guinness77
    @steveh

guinness77, JackHorzempa and TongoRad like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

TongoRad, guinness77 and zid like this.
  8. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,803) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Yeah, well -- the Zwickelbier on the label must have thrown me. ;)

I tried this back in '15 and didn't mind it so much, but I like Urban Chestnut's take on the "style" much better.

"O -- A decent, well-made beer, but lacking in good big German maltiness. Neighboring brewery Urban Chestnut's Zwickel delivers that better, but that's not to say the Schlafly isn't worth a sample as a light refresher. A rather light beer for a Winter seasonal."

Funny, my notes call the clarity "hazy" and the color "pale straw." (Although, I used my short Becher glass to sample it, so the color wasn't as dense) Wonder if they're doing something different?

Maybe I'll give it another go... and use one of my Maß Krug this time. :)

zid likes this.
  9. zid

Beer Trader

"Hazy" is probably the only thing in your full review that doesn't feel like a match for what I had. (When I first had this beer, I had half a bottle, and I'd say that "pale straw" was fitting at that size... I also tend to use the term amber differently from others here.) I like Urban Chestnut's too. That beer strikes me as sweeter and maltier than this one. This one feels lighter, drier and spicier to me. Urban Chestnut bottles have now disappeared from my area... so the comparison is limited in its applicability for me.

steveh likes this.
  10. steveh

I've been seeing a lot more UC cans (.5 liter) lately, double check that you haven't been overlooking it.

TongoRad and zid like this.
  11. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (140) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I am not a Zwickelbier expert (just a new fan) - I believe I only had a few mugs from a German brewery and then a growler of Urban Chestnut - and was very disappointed in the latter in comparison.

12. steveh

Sounds like it may have been less-than fresh. All of the UC Zwickel I've had has been about as good as any lager I ever had in Bavaria.

For further comparison, look for Grevensteiner from Veltins -- another very nice Zwickel.

scootercrabb likes this.
  13. ecpho

Yes that's on my beermenus list - but we only get IPAs around here it seems these days.

steveh likes this.
  14. JackHorzempa

The US importer for Veltins is Artisanal Imports. A few weeks ago I sent them an e-mail asking whether Grevensteiner was available in any retailers in my area. Within a day I got an answer that a beer store within walking distance of my house recently received a case of Grevensteiner. I went over the next day and bought a 4-pack. Maybe Artisanal Imports can help you track down this beer too.

I discussed Grevensteiner in a recent New Beer Sunday post: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-630.498330/#post-5342705

Cheers!

ecpho likes this.
  15. ecpho

Emails sent - also asked for Sunner Kolssh - thank you for the idea, we'll see what happens.
    I've been meaning to reach out to Yard's as well - they don't seem to make it across the Hudson River.

16. steveh

I hear you.

ecpho likes this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Yeah, right now Yards only distributes in PA, NJ, DE, MD and VA. The good news is that Yards is expanding and constructing a new, larger brewery which is scheduled to open in October. At the German Beer Festival in Philly I spoke to one of the Yards brewers and I asked if they intended to expand distribution with this larger brewery and he shrugged his shoulders and stated: I don't know. We have such a hard time meeting demand in the states we are already in. Maybe in the near future they might expand into NY?

Cheers!

18. zid

Beer Trader

I've never been there, but Bierocracy in LIC claims to have Grevensteiner "Zwickl" on draft. There are 6 different listings for Grevensteiner on beermenus... including Zwickl, Landbier, Kellerbier, Keller Bier, Original, etc. The brewer calls it a "Landbier." Here's one person's take on the different terms. If I was in the neighborhood, I'd pop in there because they also have Nova Paka Brou Czech Dark on draft. :)

steveh and ecpho like this.
  19. ecpho

That's where I had it! but it was a few months ago so not sure if it's the same Zwickl. I like their international draft list, one of the best in the area in my opinion. Just wish they were open lunchtime.

zid likes this.
  20. JackHorzempa

On the Veltins website they classify this beer as being a Kellerbier:

Facts

Type: tradtional kellerbeer

Colour: dark orange/amber

Smell: caramel malt with fresh fruit

Taste: malt sweetness with light, roasted flavours

Foam: silky and smooth

Bitterness: full-bodied

Original gravity: 12,5°P

Alcohol content: 5,2 vol. %

Calorific value: 45 kcal/100 ml or 187 kj/100 ml”

zid likes this.
  21. zid

Beer Trader

They seem to be far more interested in claiming that it is a "Landbier" though. (Looks like they have at least three different websites!) Attempting to pin it down between the terms might be going against the normal use of the terms anyway.

steveh likes this.
  22. steveh

Especially with Keller and Zwickel -- drink, enjoy (or not).

zid likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe