Share your Holiday Packs (2022)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BigIronH, Nov 12, 2022.

1. BigIronH

BigIronH Poo-Bah (1,811) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

It’s come time for us to discuss our holiday bundles of the year. Many breweries release beer sets this time of year to celebrate Christmas. Some including glasses and other memorabilia but mostly beer. Many of them, seasonal specialties available this time of year only. We would all love to hear about whatever Holiday pack you pick up between now and the first of the year~. Cheers all.

link to last years:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/share-your-holiday-packs-2021.662602/

2. BigIronH

Society Trader

[​IMG] One set I’m always excited for is the 12 days of Milkshake Stout set from Rochester Mills. It was released a couple days ago and will make it into distro in a few states within the coming weeks. I’ve noticed this year a few new additions have made the cut and are a little higher ABV than typical, showing the trend towards higher ABV pastry stouts we all have noticed over the past couple years. I will probably drink two of these boxes and gift a few more over the course of the season. Cheers all.

3. Braunmeister_1943

Braunmeister_1943 Defender (627) Nov 22, 2020 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG] My Chouffe holiday pack I gifted to myself from a $100 Visa gift card I received last Christmas from a customer that I only just found last month! A couple of bottles of St. Bernardus Christmas Ale, too!

4. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,797) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Are they calling these “milkshake stouts” because they have lactose and various flavoring ingredients added to them?

5. BigIronH

Society Trader

They came up with whatever their “milkshake stout” recipe was quite a few years ago. It does contain lactose but this box consists of that base beer with basically flavor additives, yes.

6. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Poo-Bah (2,562) Aug 5, 2008 Wisconsin
    Society

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment on these.

I get the Costco Advent Calendar every year. I get an Advent Calendar from MobCraft here in Milwaukee every year, nice combination of what they brewed this year, bringing back some of their earlier crowdsource winners, and this year some collaborations. I also picked up the Brewers Collective 24 Beers of Cheer, have an open mind on that one.

For the 12 Days of Christmas packs, I have picked up the Stone 12 Days of IPAs and the Clown Shoes 12 Beers of Christmas.

7. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,010) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

How is that Clown Shoes pack? I saw it last year but did not fully see what it was as I was waking past the beer.

Enjoy

8. cyclonece09

Society

I’ve found the last two years that it is a nice selection

9. JZH1000

JZH1000 Defender (658) Nov 7, 2021 Colorado

As someone who never went to Costco enough to justify the membership, where can I get beer advent calendars haha

10. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,363) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

nice! nice lineup this year

11. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,874) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

Your best bet might be a local craft beer store possibly. In the Chicagoland area, there are a few stores which curate their own advent calendar each year. Hopefully, this might be an option in your area. Good luck.

12. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (103) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Trader

in Michigan at least you do not need a membership to buy beer/wine/spirits at Costco, so maybe you can in your state as well

13. cyclonece09

Society

If you have a friend who is a member, go with them as their guest. Alternatively they can buy you a gift card and then you can go in without a membership to spend it.

14. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,530) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

That one can do double duty as a "Holiday Pack", too - there's the one that falls every year on April 1 (probably most don't get it off as a paid holiday, but check your contract). I actually hate that day but anyone who doesn't deserves that selection.

Luscious_Malfoy likes this.
  15. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,391) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Aldi, but if your in Colorado with those wacky liquor laws concerning grocery stores….

try your local bottle shops to see if any are putting one together. Seems pretty popular for bottle shops in Chicagoland.

Luscious_Malfoy and JZH1000 like this.
  16. BigIronH

Society Trader

I never pegged you for a guy who disliked pastry stouts. All your posts defining your love for fruited sours and NEIPAS in the past had me thinking you probably love these things.

17. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,530) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:astonished:

:thinking_face:

Geez, I never thought it would happen, and likely never will again, but I find myself agreeing with Elon Musk - maybe BA should create a rule that parody posts must be so labeled.

I guess such an attitude does jibe with my choice of a screen name, too - I admit it up front :grin: (and refer to it whenever necessary).

18. JZH1000

Well today I went by my parents' house because I'm a great son and whaddaya know an early Christmas present was waiting for me...

Not Costco's, but rather Sam's club's beer advent calendar. I think it's all minhas craft brewery stuff, but I appreciate the gesture nonetheless.

I'm still gonna be keeping my eyes peeled for higher quality packs around me though...

Just a note though somebody has already added all the BA listings amd photos for these beers haha

[​IMG]

19. BigIronH

Society Trader

Not surprised. This calendar has wide circulation and I’m sure has been drank by more than a few BA’s. Cheers and enjoy.

20. JZH1000

I've just seen talk of this being new this year, and so far only one person has actually reviewed like 1/3rd of the beers, but they're all posted ready to be rated.

Luscious_Malfoy and BigIronH like this.
  21. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,339) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

22. Patrick_OKC

Patrick_OKC Aspirant (278) Apr 26, 2017 Texas
    Society

Oh yes. This is my time of year. Bought three cases of St. Bernardus Christmas ale two years ago. I love to search for the various glass + beer packages. I grabbed four or five of the Chouffe last year, and Ommegang, and several others as well. Have not yet been able to start shopping this year for same, but am really looking forward to it.

23. Braunmeister_1943

Braunmeister_1943 Defender (627) Nov 22, 2020 Pennsylvania
    Society

Nice! I also grabbed a St. Bernardus gift box with a chalice a 4 varieties of St. Bernardus. I can’t find the pic I took of it. I’m on the lookout for an Orval gift box with a glass, too!

24. OffTrail

OffTrail Initiate (98) Aug 12, 2012 Washington

Holiday packs? I don't drink old beer.

Luscious_Malfoy likes this.
  25. BigIronH

Society Trader

I try not to make a habit out of it either. Typically I’m looking for Christmas special releases. Cheers.

beerjerk666 and Luscious_Malfoy like this.
  26. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,301) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

That line-up sounded ponderous to me. I might have one or two of those in a blue moon, but not all of them under my normal sky...........

27. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Disciple (358) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

Some states allow non-members to purchase alcohol at member based stores. Colorado used to allow it. Check in at the door at Costco and you should be routed to customer service .

28. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,671) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Bell's announced yesterday on social media that their Jingle Bell's 24 Beers of Christmas was released at the General Store for $90. No hint of what it contains. Comments on Facebook indicate it has been only regular shelf beers in prior years, but another comment said there was some rare stuff included in a prior year that person had purchased. For that price I'd hope there would be something special in it.

Seems like last year it was in distro, but that may have been a 12-pack, and I don't know how widely it was distributed. But so far, General Store-only is what they're saying for this one.

29. BigIronH

Society Trader

That makes Bells and Founders releasing advent calendars brewery only this year. Founders has theirs priced at 125$, though the extra may make sense as many of the beers are barrel aged. I purchased the Founders box last year and was underwhelmed with the amount of shelf beers they had included so I won’t be going back for it this year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I notice some more Holiday inspired mixed packs have hit my stores in the last few days but I haven’t seen anything that makes me tic. I feel like so many breweries are hung up on just packaging their most popular IPA’s and branding the box Christmas themed and that really doesn’t do it for me. For that reason, aside from the 12 Days box from Rochester, I actually have yet to pick up any Holiday Packs. Hopefully the hunt will improve as December rolls in. Cheers.

30. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,010) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Saw a bunch of different packs today but did not buy. I will probably go back out Friday and see what’s out there in more depth. I did see

Duvel 4 pack with limited glass $17.99
    Duvel magnum $24.99
    Chouffe 4 pack with glass $18.99
    St. Bernardus 4 pack with glass $22.99
    Chimay 4 pack with glass $22.99

There were many others but I only took photos of these.

Enjoy

31. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,710) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

This is the first time I remember seeing a Duvel holiday 4-pack, with chalice. The design didn’t excite me enough to give in to the temptation.

I also saw a FW “holiday” 3 pack of barre-aged goodies. Now that I think of it the only holiday part might have been the branding or in-store advertising.

In Oakland, The Good Hop has a whole series of holiday mystery boxes. Those look fun, and given their reputation for quality I can imagine they’d be quality beers.

32. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy Poo-Bah (4,317) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

saw a Prairie Artisan Ales Christmas set yesterday with 2 bottles of Bomb!, 2 bottles of Christmas Bomb! and a glass. don’t recall the price as i didn’t really give it a thought. the last time i had Christmas Bomb! it was offensively bad.

33. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,297) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Only one I am sure that I saw was the Delirium pack. I'll probably pick it up.

34. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,686) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

It looks like this year’s Bell’s Jingle 12-Pack is their regular beers:

https://bellbeverage.com/shop/bells-jingle-variety/

I enjoyed last year’s Jingle 12-pack especially the Spruce beer that was part of the pack:

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-weekend-75.663962/#post-7418211

Cheers!

PapaGoose03, adrock314, Spade and 2 others like this.
  35. BigIronH

Society Trader

36. JackHorzempa

Society

37. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,671) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

That Wild Spruce Chase is available in 6-packs at Bell's General Store now, but for whatever reason they didn't include it this year in the holiday 12-pack. Since they just brewed it maybe the timing was intentional to include it in the 24-pack. Sooner or later someone likely will tell everyone what's in that case. It won't be me because my fridge is crammed and I'm stacking cans just to use all the space.

38. JackHorzempa

Society

Well sir, cheers to you!!

[​IMG]

39. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,894) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

This is the start of my holiday beer packs,im sure its not the last[​IMG]

40. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,310) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Is this the one from Aldi?

I haven't seen the beer advent calendar only the wine and seltzer one's there so far.

Hoping to pick up the Chouffe or Duvel gift set, if I don't receive it as a gift.

BigIronH likes this.