Release Sierra Nevada Fall (2018) Mix Pack

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS, Apr 15, 2018.

1. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS Initiate (43) Jul 13, 2017 Illinois

yes it is only April. But! I got bored and started browsing old Sierra Nevada Fall seasonals and I remembered the fan favorite Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale. And it is listed on there site.. I wonder if they just forgot to take it down when they discontinued it or maybe it is making a comeback.. possibly as a stand alone or in there fall pack this year? Because it is confirmed they are making a fall pack this year. I’ll post it below.

https://sierranevada.com/beer/variety-packs/tumbler

eppCOS and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  2. PineappleBoss

PineappleBoss Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2017 California

Sometimes the Sierra Release Date map has a small easter egg in whats coming (look at the party pack for this summer, it has the Mexican beer) Maybe someone can make out the pixelated beers in the packaging on the site for the fall release?

3. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (815) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

It's still snowing in some places...

4. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (264) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Idk about the Fall Pack, but I'll def. be getting a 6er of the Oktoberfest.

5. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (217) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I am going to assume from their fb page and the tiny image now on the website it is going to be Pale Ale, Vienna Lager, Tumbler, Ruthless Rye.

6. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (598) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Tumbler’s an OK beer, but I’ll always remember it as the Fall seasonal that replaced their Anniversary IPA, an under-the-radar great beer.

raynmoon and tzieser like this.
  7. tzieser

tzieser Savant (961) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

True. It also reminds me of the fact that they never brought back Glissade Golden Bock as their spring seasonal. That was another under-the-radar great beer

AlcahueteJ, ernh, deanzaZZR and 2 others like this.
  8. ESHBG

I miss Flipside and red IPAs in general I have found that I seem to enjoy but it was nice to have it back earlier this year in a mixed pack.

If I am correct about the lineup this year I will be drinking through a few of these packs and this would be a great party pack, something for everyone.

sefus12 likes this.
  9. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (226) Mar 28, 2011 New York

That's a great fall pack. I have no complaints about any of those choices.

10. SunDevilBeer

I loved Glissade too, it was terrific. Shame it only lasted 2 seasons, but I’d love to see it brought back in a mix-pack.

IIRC it was replaced by Ruthless Rye, definitely not one of my fave SN offerings.

tzieser and ESHBG like this.
  11. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,414) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Replace the SNPA with the Oktoberfest and I will buy a box van with a loading dock

12. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (230) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Which Oktoberfest ? Dont they make new ones each year ?

13. ecpho

Get over it. SNPA is a great beer and you'll appreciate the 3 bottles. Especially since they could have tried to move something like sidecar, otra vez, hop Hunter or tropical torpedo instead.

chrismattlin and beardown2489 like this.
  14. SunDevilBeer

15. WesMantooth

Trader

Yes they do

16. WesMantooth

Trader

Same difference for me. They just sit in my fridge till someone else drinks them or I pour them out 6 months later.

17. SunDevilBeer

Agree - I like that it kinda “forces” me to drink SNPA (& appreciate its goodness) in as much I’d normally not buy a 6-er of it.

AlcahueteJ, Lucular and meefmoff like this.
  18. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (648) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Agree....I do t get the SNPA love......many years ago it was a nice fruity puppy beer. Now and the last 10 years or so it's a blah beer. I drank AAL for a good six months and that helped hoppy beer taste hoppy again and many flavors I lost came back. The first beer I tried was SNPA. It was still not good.

Enjoy

MonkeyBread and WesMantooth like this.
  19. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,805) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Trader

I'm glad my palate and preferences are different from yours. Everytime I come across it at the closest gas station when coming out of the wilderness I grab one (unless the Torpedo is fresher). For my palate and preferences its far more satisfying than many of the 'juice' APAs/IPAs/DIPAs out there. I welcome those moments. YMMV

Do I think it should be in nearly every mix 12, no. But its inclusion in Spring and Summer definitely feels appropriate. Fall and Winter may depend more on your locale. Cheers

20. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (648) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Not a "juice" fan. Much prefer an IPA that is really pine and earth forward. Torpedo is not that beer. SN has many beers that taste very similar.

Daisy cutter is a much better pale ale to me And only a minor bit more per oz. I pay $40 for SNPA vs $60 for DC 16 oz.

Either way SNPA used to do it for me in the early 1980's but has not for a long time. Why? I don't know.

Enjoy

21. BeastOfTheNortheast

The one you think is Pale Ale is actually Torpedo, which is very surprising. Not sure about the other 3. Maybe @SierraTerence can help us out?

22. ESHBG

Looking again at the tiny pic (and zooming doesn't help much ha ha) I think you are right. That is very surprising if so but I will take it, kind of bored with PA being in every pack (even though I do get why they add it) and it's a good sign for future releases.

I do think that the three are the beers I had mentioned and if so two IPAs and two non, not a bad mix really, especially considering this along with my annual Oktoberfest purchase(s).

23. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (418) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I’m not ready to think about fall seasonals just yet but this Thread got me excited. SNPA is a solid pale ale! I will gladly have it on tap whenever I find it! Yep

24. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,317) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

25. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,637) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

It seems to me that your tastes have 'moved on'. I too was a fan of SNPA 'back in the day' and now the only time I drink SNPA is when it is in a variety pack. I think SNPA is a good beer but frankly in today's beer scene it is not a beer that interests me to purchase a 6-pack.

Based upon my readings I do not think that you and I are alone here; SNPA beer sales have been declining over the past few years. My interpretation of Sierra Nevada's Marketing & Sales strategy for 2018 is that they are hoping their new year-round IPA beers (e.g., Sidecar IPA, Hazy Little Things) will 'take up the slack' and replace the declining sales of SNPA.

I suspect that part of the reasoning for placing SNPA in variety packs to to:
    • Help the sales values of SNPA
    • 'Reintroduce' folks to SNPA with the hope that downstream they will buy more SNPA
    I can report that bullet number 2 does not 'work' on me.

Cheers!

nc41, nick_perry and hopsputin like this.
  26. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (776) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Also they don't have to create a 4th beer to add to the pack, so exclude all the costs of R&D. Also, also, having Pale Ale in the pack helps sell the other 3 beers, as many people likely only buy the Pale Ale. So they'll edge into that part of their market.

DonicBoom likes this.
  27. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (320) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

For a hazy IPA you can get where other beers are hard to find I like Hazy little things well enough. Sidecar is curious to me. I get some citrus hops, artificial tasting orange, and not much else. It does not taste seem quite like an IPA to me. I dont think it is a bad beer-drinking them from the summer pack is easy enough. I do think there isn't much to it. I'm sure I am not their target market with that beer anyways.

ESHBG likes this.
  28. JackHorzempa

Premium

Well, that 'strategy' would not work on me - I would never purchase a variety pack of 4 beers if I was just a consumer of one of those beers.

Frankly, I sometimes question myself when purchasing a typical Sierra Nevada variety pack when I desire to drink the 'other' three beers beyond SNPA. I have to remind myself that SNPA is a good beer and since I want to drink the 'other' three beers it is overall a worthwhile purchase.

Cheers!

29. JackHorzempa

Premium

As do I except I do not view this beer as being a 'NEIPA' type beer since it does not have a soft, velvety mouthfeel for my palate.
    Yup, that beer 'doubles down' on the citrus aspect both from the hops but also from the utilization of orange peel. I think it is a good beer but a tad too dimensional in its flavor profile for me. I enjoyed drinking this beer in a recent variety pack but I will not be purchasing a 6-pack of this beer.

I would purchase a 6-pack of Sierra Nevada Kolsch if it was sold as a standalone product.

Cheers!

30. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

I am the same way, I used to really love this beer and just don't crave it. When I do drink some its still very good but like you and others said I don't seek it out. Honestly, I wish SN would listen to the consumers and maybe start pushing other beers. I for one would love to see their coffee beer in standalone 6 packs, it is a great beer and seems to have a following. I know why they do what they do but it grows old at times with it always being in the mix packs.
    Cheers

matcris, SierraTerence, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  31. JackHorzempa

Premium

Well, they did add two more IPAs as part of the year-round portfolio - the aforementioned IPAs of Sidecar IPA and Hazy Little Things. It appears to me that Sierra Nevada in their Marketing & Sales strategy are acceding to the customer demands for beers that are IPAs.

I personally think that there are already enough beers with IPA on the labels but perhaps the broader craft beer market thinks otherwise?

Cheers!

32. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

That is what I never understood. We have over saturation of IPA and to throw 2 more into the mix is asking for them to get lost in it real fast. Honestly, I think they both will fall short on sales soon, they just don't stand out enough.

33. JackHorzempa

Premium

Based upon perusing my local beer retailers' shelves it sure seems like there is a 'boat load' of IPAs available for sale. Too many?

Having stated that I personally do not have any specific beer marketing data so my observations are purely anecdotal and perhaps even more important is based upon my local beer scene. Maybe there are still lots of areas of the country that are not 'saturated' with IPAs? Maybe these areas will be fertile ground for Sierra Nevada's new IPAs?

I suppose we will gain further insight when we see data on Sierra Nevada's sales volume for 2018? Will Sierra Nevada have another year of declining sales or will their marketing & sales moves turn things around?

Cheers!

34. BeastOfTheNortheast

Perfect SN Fall Pack:

Hazy Little Thing
    Kellerweis
    Coffee Stout with Pumpkin
    Oktoberfest collab

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  35. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (320) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

A pumpkin stout by them would possibly be phenomenal. Love the coffee stout in their Winter pack, so I love your idea.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  36. ecpho

Respectfully, this would be a terrible mix pack. They wouldn't put the Oktoberfest in the fall pack since they sell it on it's own. Sierra Nevada doesn't need to add pumpkin to their beers, that trend has passed. Props for bringing up Kellerweis, that should have been in the Party Pack instead of the crap Sidecar. I think PA/Torpedo, Ruthless, Tumbler and Vienna Lager is pretty perfect.

37. BeastOfTheNortheast

I respectfully disagree.

DJturnstile, drtth and raynmoon like this.
  38. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (2,753) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Hmmm. I recently bought a case of fresh (1 month old) SNPA and tend to prefer this beer to most of the variety pack offerings; as good as they typically are.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  39. tzieser

tzieser Savant (961) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I've been wishing for this collab since they first started doing it (2015?). Easily my most hyped beer of 2018, perhaps of all time. Would love to see an Ayinger collaboration next season.

40. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (139) Mar 14, 2007 California

2018 Fall Pack... Will be coming soon as we are completely sold out of the Summer Pack.

Torpedo IPA
    Vienna Lager
    Ruthless Rye
    Tumbler