Simpsons Golden Naked Oats

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Supergenious, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (367) May 9, 2011 Michigan

I've tasted GNOs, and liked them. But I have yet to brew a beer with them. I am thinking of making a honey blonde, and want to add some GNOs. How much should I add to get some noticeable flavor? 10% maybe?

2. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (479) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I really liked them too, but have only used them in a stout and a brown. 10% would likely be noticeable to me in a blonde.

Supergenious likes this.
  3. scurvy311

scurvy311 Disciple (345) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

10% will add a nice malty sweetness and a great body. I use 6-10% in my 3% ABV beers with great results.

corbmoster and Supergenious like this.
  4. scurvy311

scurvy311 Disciple (345) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

I normally mill them separate. They are smaller than barley so I tighten up the mill for them.

Supergenious likes this.
  5. CADETS3

CADETS3 Aspirant (231) Dec 3, 2014 Texas

I've used 12% in my honey blonde before and it turned out awesome.

Supergenious and corbmoster like this.
  6. CarolusP

CarolusP Initiate (48) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

I've never used them myself, but I recently picked some up with the intention of brewing @FATC1TY 's White Wine Saison whenever I find the time. I'm curious to see what flavors they impart.

7. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (479) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I run them through the mill twice. They are very small.

8. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (916) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I have used them in an IPA before instead of a crystal or other coloring grain addition and thought it made the beer way too honey sweet for an IPA...but it does sound perfect in a Honey Blonde!

9. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (695) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

I stopped using them because they seem to have a problem with weevils (from different suppliers no less)
    They can be kind of oily...someday I will give them a shot again as I liked what they brought to a dry stout.

10. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (367) May 9, 2011 Michigan

On a side note... @VikeMan I don't see them in Brewcipher. Could I use Caramel 10L to get a rough idea when predicting mash ph?

11. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,328) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yes, I would copy the specs from c10.

Supergenious likes this.
  12. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,599) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

I have made an English Summer Ale / Bitter type beer using 7%-10% GNOs, Golden Promise, WY1469, and various English-y hops. The first time around, I went with 10% to be sure I would recognize its contribution.

Supergenious likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.