Release Stone + Metallica: Enter Night Pils

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by thuey, Sep 24, 2018.

1. thuey

thuey Aspirant (204) Nov 13, 2015 California

https://www.arrogantconsortia.com/beer/year-round-releases/enter-night-pilsner

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/43153/365631/

So apparently this dropped 3 weeks ago, but no one here is talking about it. I haven't tried it myself, but Who you Callin' Wussie was probably my favorite Pilsner because of the new school fruity hops. It must have not done well, unfortunately, because I wasn't ever able to find Wussie after the initial 3 months that it existed.

But has anyone had Enter Night? I'm going to see if any SF stores carry it.

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,925) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

I haven't had it but how can a "crisp and refreshing Pilsner" "transcends genres, shatters preconceptions and challenges convention"?

3. Vason

Vason Initiate (117) Feb 19, 2008 Ohio

It transcends Stone's usual full-flavored genre, shatters the preconception that Stone would make a full-flavored beer, and challenges the convention that that Metal = big, bold beer?

:rolling_eyes:

dcotom, AMessenger and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  4. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (809) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

What it should have said:

In collaboration with Metallica, this beer represents the collision of two forces that used to be uncompromising and supernatural, but now just talk about the time when they were. It's a crisp and refreshing Pilsner that, much like the band, is predictable, leaves preconceptions solidly in one piece, and challenges nothing.

BTW, neither Pilsner nor Metallica have ever transcended genres, shattered preconceptions, or challenged convention. Both have always, in my mind, been what you expected them to be. Back in the day, that meant ass-kicking, face-grinding, head-banging speed metal. Not so much any more. Fucking sell-outs.

5. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

All of what I said before aside, I liked Wussie, so I'll give this thing a go if I see it.

6. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (72) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Well your rant made me going on one of my own seem redundant. I'd just be repeating the same sentiments.

7. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (72) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Again I'd have to agree.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  8. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

I, at least for one, would like, very much, to hear your rant, kind sir.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  9. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Champion (881) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

They should have made an IPA called Harvester of Simcoe instead. Oh wait, that one's taken already. Master of Pellets? Damn, gone as well. How about ...And Polaris for All? That one's mine, actually. Might not have quite the same ring to it, but Polaris is a damn overlooked hop.

10. Snowcrash000

Trader

FTFY

Vason and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  11. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Or . . . For Whom The ____ Tolls. That'd be metal as hell, right? :rolling_eyes:

12. thuey

Well at least we have Kami Band picking up where Metallica left off...

13. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (159) Oct 6, 2004 California

Reading this is just sad. Stone needs to lock the doors for a week, have everyone reread all their old bottles/labels/posts/etc from the 2000s back before they had become a caricature of themselves, hit the reset button, and be cool old Stone again. Or just give up on the old Stone entirely and rebrand.

Also - Enter Night for a Pilsner? Seriously, it couldn't even be a dark lager? Schwarzbier? Stout? Anything...dark?

Everything about this is just lame.

14. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (62) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

I'll give this one a try and glad it isn't yet another IPA from Stone. I was pleasantly surprised with the A Tout le Monde Megadeth Saison from Unibroue, FWIW.

15. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (327) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Yeah, I was waiting to see that it was a new style, a "black pilsner".

16. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,806) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Premium Trader

Honest question, is Wussie done or now seasonal? Haven't seen it it well over 6 months.

Yeah the name on this one sucks. Hell, even Ride the Lightning would've been better for a pilsner.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  17. Lesak87

Lesak87 Initiate (50) Mar 26, 2015 New Jersey

Agree with most people here thinking a beer with that name - a collaboration with Metallica - is just begging to be a high ABV, face-melting black IPA or even some kind of a monster stout that will put you in a ditch.

Just seems like a totally wasted opportunity making a pilsner. A style that I surely appreciate and enjoy, just not one I'd ever associate with a heavy metal collab.

dcotom and jasonmason like this.
  18. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (182) Nov 8, 2009 New York

[​IMG] Surprising considering this happened.

19. Ryan4120

Ryan4120 Disciple (378) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia

I love Metallica and have seen them in concert a bunch of times and Stone has been one of my favorite breweries for a long time, but I can't help but agree with everyone here, the fact that this is a pilsner and not a dark beer like a stout or black IPA is such a wasted opportunity - especially considering the name. Stone needs to regroup. Shame Stone. Shame.

dcotom likes this.
  20. thuey

Lucky you. I haven't seen Wussie since 2016. But on the Arrogant site, it is no longer being produced :slight_frown:

jakecattleco likes this.
  21. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (536) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Mostly agree... but I was never much of fan of Metallica. (That would have been difficult being a big Megadeth fan.)

But... If Jimmy Buffet can have a beer, why not Metallica?

NeroFiddled likes this.
  22. Vason

Vason Initiate (117) Feb 19, 2008 Ohio

In all seriousness, this is kind of why Pilsner would have been chosen. Metallica are generally a bunch of AAL drinkers, so they'd want to make a beer that they'd enjoy.

Enter Night is a terrible choice for a name, though, as people above pointed out. "Ecstasy of Gold..en Lager"? "That Was Just Your Lager"?

NeroFiddled likes this.
  23. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,317) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Nice! I will try this if I see it around town, sounds tasty and I also love Metallica so easy choice for me.

Cheers

24. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (648) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

The can I had was a bit metallic tasting

Enjoy

25. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,925) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

Now that I've got feedback I'll answer my own question - it is because they say it is!

As for Stone I've always been a huge fan, even when they've stumbled. They really helped to shake things up in the industry and I appreciate that.

And I can say the same for Metallica although I've never been a fan. I have seen them live and they blew me away, but it's just not my thing.

So, I'll try the beer with an open mind and hope that it also blows me away!

26. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (1,968) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

You win, sir... You win

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  27. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (526) Dec 12, 2014 California

I thought Wussie sucked. I don't want new hops in my pilsner, damn it. If this is similar it's going to be an easy pass for me.

By the way I'm one of the few people who loves Metallica Load. I think it's a great album which didn't sit well with the close-minded Metal fans at the time. And still doesn't it seems...

28. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (526) Dec 12, 2014 California

Also with the name I thought this was going to be a black pilsner, which is the sort of gimmicky thing that Stone would do.

29. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (108) Feb 13, 2018 New York

I don't think Metallica sold-out. They just followed the natural path of an aging rock and roll band. I don't think Stone sold out either, they just learned that in order to stay in the game today, with 5K breweries, you no longer can afford to have a well-balanced portfolio of styles. You have to appeal to ever-expanding population of one-track American idiots.

THANAT0PSIS and eldoctorador like this.
  30. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (536) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Sounds like Stone should team up with Green Day next.

31. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (815) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Are we the only two people who read this, or thought it was amazing?

32. errantnight

errantnight Savant (972) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Trader

33. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (158) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

Well it can't be any worse than "Punk in Drublic"

eldoctorador likes this.
  34. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Right-o. Metallica doesn't do anything edgy enough to make anyone mad.

35. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

You just told me they didn't sell out and then gave me examples on how both of them did.

Thanks for helping me be more efficient.

Lahey likes this.
  36. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (108) Feb 13, 2018 New York

No, I said Metallica is an aging band. Meaning, they are not young and angry, so like many artists, they have tamed and lost much of what they had at the beginning. It's a natural process that few escape from.

Businesses are different. You can only float for so long before you need to adapt to market shifts...especially when you're at the level Stone is playing. Risk is too high and too many will be impacted (employees) if stubbornness doesn't lead to success.

Lahey likes this.
  37. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (222) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Thank you. Speed metal and thrash metal are two different things. I know we get fussy about beer styles on here, so we might as well about metal subgenres.

And of course they've sold out. They've not needed to be hungry post Black Album. To deny those first four albums aren't fantastic is silly. I'll try this beer though. I loved Wussie and would love more good pilsners in a can.

ovaltine and RobHB like this.
  38. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (158) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

My wider point was about how awful Punk in Drublic truly was, but I see your point

eldoctorador and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  39. Snowcrash000

Trader

I was just about to shout BLASPHEMY when I realized that you're probably talking about the beer, not the album.

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  40. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Initiate (185) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

Apparently they did enough to make you mad.