Surly - Xtra Citra Pale Ale

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Jan 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oneeighthcuban

Oneeighthcuban Initiate (94) Aug 17, 2010 Minnesota

It's $7 dollars for a crowler. I just bought a bunch of cheaper citra, so we are working on doing more crowlers of this beer so we can get it down cheaper. Hopefully in the 4-5 dollar range. It's on our list of projects for the summer.

And it'll be back on tap tomorrow! We tried these two beers side by side and they are quite different.

2. Can_if_you_can

Can_if_you_can Crusader (793) Mar 15, 2012 Minnesota

Screw $urly for being too big of pussies for not canning a pale ale til now. This is just a counterattack to Pseudo Sue in my opinion, and its probablly going to cost 5 dollors more a four pack too! Lame Surly BRING THE OLD BITTER BREWER BACK!!! Three years ago it was my favorite session ipa of all time!!!

3. Cibsie

Cibsie Initiate (182) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

It actually costs 3-5 dollars less than Sue...

poolofclay and sembo like this.
  4. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,935) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Well, it is as of now a couple bucks less per 4 pack. It is also 1.3% lower ABV, so it is not really comparable to pseudoSue.

However, I do lament the old Bitter Brewer. It was the top session ale at the time I first tried it, and even with all the competition in the years since, it remained clearly superior, until Surly screwed it up last year.

5. Bobandy

Bobandy Initiate (0) May 13, 2015 Iowa

Had one last night, but made the mistake of having it directly after Sue. I couldn't really taste it at all. What I got out of it was a bready base that reminded me of Bitter Brewer, which I always liked. I'll give it the clean palate treatment today.

Also, made the mistake of assuming that Costco liquor store operated like the rest of the world. Who the hell ONLY takes American Express?

6. Evilyak

Evilyak Defender (662) May 28, 2005 Minnesota

you haven't been reading the business section recently, have you? your problem will be solved on june 20.

Bobandy and mnbrewery like this.
  7. Boat

Boat Initiate (75) Jul 29, 2014 Minnesota

Aww, you guys are just too nice. Looks like I need to buy you guys a beer.

Seriously though, does anyone know why Surly priced this beer so much lower than their other regular offerings? I wished that I liked it more due to the price point, but I can't get past the blandness of all of these low ABV session beers.

Dizmal and holzwama like this.
  8. doner24

doner24 Initiate (99) Apr 16, 2013 Minnesota

They also take debit cards of any brand.

9. Bobandy

Yeah, when my last debit card fell apart, I just carrying one. I should probably get another one.

10. Bobandy

Good. In time to make this a regular summer beer.

In regard to the beer, I enjoyed it. Probably not my favorite session IPA (that would be Pinner), but a very solid beer at $5.99.

11. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Crusader (782) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Society Trader

I had my second can of this yesterday and it was much better. Oddly enough, straight from the can, as I was doing some plumbing work around the house.

We'll see about can #3 and #4.

12. Helgy

Helgy Initiate (85) May 22, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

I enjoyed this beer and for $7 at the liquor store down the road from me I won't hesitate buying it again.

13. jakemn91

jakemn91 Crusader (762) Jun 14, 2013 New Mexico

Just picked up a Crowler of the Citra session pale at Rum River today for $6.99. That's not a bad deal, but it'd absolutely be a staple in my fridge for $4!

14. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (366) May 17, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

$7.99 here at Binny's. It's a decent beer. Can't expect a ton of hop punch from that ABV. Will make a great golf course beer!

15. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,083) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

Hop bitterness has nothing to do with ABV. You can expect higher levels of bitterness in low ABV beers. That is not to say it is wise for brewers to hop a low ABV beer to overly high levels, but it is possible.

NickTheGreat likes this.
  16. MNAle

Society

Agreed. What poorly done low ABV beers tend to lack is feel (they are thin, watery) and taste contribution from the malts. Hence, the derisive term "hop water".

KarlHungus likes this.
  17. Buzzerben

Buzzerben Initiate (115) Jul 21, 2007 Minnesota

18. poypoyking

poypoyking Initiate (61) Oct 9, 2015 Minnesota

I enjoyed it. Doesn't compare to Sue but for $1.50 a can I will drink it all summer long.

19. holzwama

holzwama Initiate (98) Aug 27, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

I got a watery taste, little Citra. Bummed as I was excited for $1.50 cans as well.
    Can't compare it to Sue, just like you can't compare Todd to Sue. I think others have mentioned that.

20. poypoyking

poypoyking Initiate (61) Oct 9, 2015 Minnesota

Agreed about not comparing, was just throwing that out there based on the other comments.

21. 12tb

12tb Initiate (144) May 18, 2011 Iowa

I agree for the most part, but just want to add that hops/bitterness and ABV are always related. When we create our hop schedules (whether FWH, kettle, or dry hop) for any new recipe, the anticipated gravities (both starting and final) are always a factor. As a general rule, lower alcohol both dictates lower bitterness and requires less dry-hopping (assuming you want the beer to be drinkable). I think the point you're making is that lower alcohol doesn't necessarily mean you can't get a beer more bitter--it just might taste terrible--which is true.

There's a reason there isn't a great low ABV alternative to a beer like Sue. Lower ABV generally means lower finishing gravity. Lower gravity means less sugar and mouthfeel to balance the bitterness. If you're aggressively kettle-hopping a low ABV beer, it can become overly dry, bitter, and a weird-sort-of-thin in a hurry. There is also some thought that the lower the gravity of the wort, the more easily the alpha acids dissolve, which compounds the bitterness problem. Whether this is true or not is debated (we don't particularly buy into it, but it's something to consider).

I don't think there's any doubt that lower ABV beers seem to pick up bitterness and grassiness easier, especially during dry-hopping (the plain fact is, there is less to balance (i.e., cover up) these things). So dry-hopping is less effective at imparting only hop aroma and flavor. Likewise, FWH tends to result in an effect not unlike hops added at the boil stage--bitter, grassy, chewiness. This can be offset somewhat by adjusting chloride and sulfate ratios in the water, but that grassy chewiness will remain.

In short, if you start aggressively bittering a low ABV beer, you're more likely to end up with a thin, grassy, flavorless bitter bomb.

sembo, KarlHungus and BrettHead like this.
  22. SipIt

SipIt Initiate (192) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

On a clean palate the main flavor I get is exactly as you describe it - a bready base. I'll drink it when on the golf course, but other than that it's not really my thing.

23. FourBetter

FourBetter Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota

I tried my first one last night and enjoyed to the level of my expectations. I would probably choose it over Founders All Day IPA when going for a session IPA.

24. Helgy

Helgy Initiate (85) May 22, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

I would put it on the same level as Founder All Day as well. It's hard to beat though when you find their 15 packs for 12 bucks or less.

25. Herky21

Herky21 Defender (684) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa

blend them!

26. Averwo

Averwo Disciple (316) Jul 4, 2013 Iowa

Overrated.

27. FourBetter

FourBetter Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2010 Minnesota

Huh?

28. Averwo

Averwo Disciple (316) Jul 4, 2013 Iowa

This stuff is pretty bad. But on par for session IPA's. I keep trying them hoping I'll strike gold but only get coal in my stocking. I'll just drink Pseudo Sue like I have been. Under 6%. $10 a four pack. Easily available in Iowa at least.

bound4er likes this.
  29. mloichin

mloichin Initiate (101) Aug 23, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

had my first can of this yesterday and it was just OK. Not amazing, not total shit. Hop aroma is there but the hops fade quickly in taste for it being Xtra Citra. Hop water is a good description. I'll keep at it, maybe it will grow on me with time.

30. Windvaner

Windvaner Initiate (65) Nov 7, 2014 Minnesota

Yep - this falls so low below the usual Surly standard ... Opened a can yesterday , this is a light watered down tasting beer , on the plus side it was really cheap $ for Surly. . I really wish they would just can the new Stout from the Beerhall which I think is a really superb stout and would fit perfectly into their year round range .

herman77 likes this.
  31. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (69) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

I'm guessing the colorful packaging and price will sell a lot of this beer for Surly. During my most recent trip to the liquor store, they were all out of Xtra Citra, but plenty of Todd in the cooler.

32. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Crusader (782) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Society Trader

Todd's one of my favorite beers, but when its $300 per 4-pack it's a little tough to have in your regular rotation. :grinning::wink:

Windvaner likes this.
  33. Windvaner

Windvaner Initiate (65) Nov 7, 2014 Minnesota

Ha-:wink: Agreed ! I live 2 miles from the brewery but can't justify paying for those 4 packs of Todd considering you can get a pretty great choice of beers now for under $10....also a convert to Sue here!

poypoyking likes this.
  34. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,083) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

Selling out of a new Surly beer quickly is standard for most liquor stores. At my store we sold out in three days. Since then it has been sitting on the rail. I personally don't expect this beer to last very long in the Surly lineup, but that's just like my opinion, man.

35. MNAle

Society

In my 'fridge right now I have one Xtra-Citra left, a couple of the Unchained #21: Us & Them 2nd Thread left. Maybe I'll go out and buy some Founders All Day and Summit Hopvale and have a session play off. Any suggestions on the order to try them? (This is only a semi-serious wild hair idea...)

sembo likes this.
  36. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Zealot (588) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Side by side blind.

37. mikevanatta

mikevanatta Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Minnesota

Yes, please do this blind.

38. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Disciple (366) May 17, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

The tasting part, right? I would hope you don't expect him to blindly go out and buy some beer. He's risking an accident, and there's a really good chance he wouldn't even buy the right beer.

KarlHungus likes this.
  39. MNAle

Society

Well, getting blind drunk isn't in the cards! :wink:

But, I've done the blind tasting. Here is the order of the finish (what surprised me overall is how much lower my scores were for each beer than when I reviewed them individually; this was true across the board! Doesn't speak well of "session IPAs" as a group, I guess...)

1. Founders All Day IPA was top rated, and it wasn't close.
    2. Summit Hopvale, but 0.34 lower than All Day.
    3. Summit Unchainged Us and Them Session, 0.04 below Hopvale
    4. Surly Xtra-Citrus, in last place, 0.2 points below Unchained, and 0.6 below All Day.

Now, I've put a stopper in the bottles of All Day and Unchained, and I'm finishing off the Xtra-Citrus, with the Hopvale after that.

#239 MNAle, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    JMN44, sembo and KarlHungus like this.
  40. mikevanatta

mikevanatta Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Minnesota

This is America. No guts, no glory.

BeerGreg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.