1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

The Coors Light Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by meefmoff, Mar 14, 2019.

1. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (567) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

This seems like an awfully convoluted campaign, but I guess that's what the corn syrup wars have come to.

https://thetakeout.com/coors-light-light-up-taps-bud-light-negative-beer-1833262345

“Bud Light has been attacking us out of frustration for weeks now,” Ryan Reis, vice president of brand marketing for Coors brands said in a statement. “We believe people just want to move on. So we invented this smart beer tap that does the listening for them—and even better, turns Bud Light’s negativity into rounds of Coors Light on us.”

2. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (128) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

That’s funny.....both funny peculiar and funny ha ha. :rolling_eyes:
    Who, on the whole, will get credit for the free rounds....Coors for giving it away, or Bud Light for the sure-to-come oodles of social media attacks that trigger the freebies?

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,858) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Also pointed out in the article:

“The rift became serious enough to derail a tentative pro-beer marketing partnership between America’s largest breweries…”

It appears that the mega-breweries are just ‘eating their own’ here. If the Marketing & Sales folks at the mega-breweries are wondering how to reverse their continual declining sales of beers like Bud, Bud Light,… I am confident that the crap they have been doing since the Super Bowl is not a winning strategy.

If I was Carlos Brito (CEO of Anheuser-Busch InBev) I would call in my Marketing & Sales folks and demand they explain how the millions upon millions of dollars they spent on this whole stupid ‘Corn Wars’ campaign is resulting in sustainable increased beer sales.

Non-cheers to this stupid stuff!!

4. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (567) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Ha! I didn't even think of that angle. Perhaps this wasn't thought all the way through.

5. JackHorzempa

Society

Sounds like a Mega-brewery Marketing & Sales campaign to me.:grimacing:

Cheers!

PatrickCT and meefmoff like this.
  6. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,067) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Years from now??? I don't recall ever giving a rat's ass about any of this crap. But, then, maybe it's just me. :rolling_eyes:

7. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,485) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

LOL that is awesome....

dcotom likes this.
  8. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,415) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Kinda weird how quick every segment of the beer world seems to be jumping into the fray against AB-InBev over their promotion of their use of rice over corn syrup (which they've been doing for, oh, around a century).

It wasn't that long ago that the (Craft) Brewers Association's definition of "craft brewer" included anti-adjunct wording, that numerous well-known craft brewers participated in the infamous "I DON'T PUT CORN IN MY BEER - I DON'T PUT RICE IN MY BEER" video (can't find it online, maybe the B.A. has, Pravda-like, erased it from history?) and that many beer drinkers worshiped the Reinheitsgebot and all-malt beers.

And many small, mid-sized and even large brewers touted their use of Rice over Corn. Heck, even some of the current targets of AB did that, too, as well as drawing a distinction between corn syrup and cereal corn (grit or flakes):

[​IMG]

#8 jesskidden, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  9. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,111) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

"The rift became serious enough to derail a tentative pro-beer marketing partnership between America’s largest breweries..."

As one commenter on the article said (loosely paraphrasing....)

BS... This IS the marketing partnership!

jakecattleco, tzieser and riptorn like this.
  10. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Zealot (567) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Why does a big beer company giving away free beer sound like it is violating a law?

11. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,418) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Didn’t they attack Sierra Nevada, too? I want my free beer from them.

12. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (259) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

I guess that the proliferation of craft beers using novel ingredients has helped to "desensitize" people to the use of actual adjuncts, to the point where even in liquid form they appear more quaint than objectionable. The double standard of opposing corn syrup whilst sipping a hazelnut flavored stout would be too obvious I guess.

Squire, rgordon and drtth like this.
  13. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (871) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

When was that?

14. JackHorzempa

Society

To the best of my knowledge there was no ‘attack’ by AB against Sierra Nevada. There is a blog by MillerCoors where there is mention that Sierra Nevada uses dextrose (corn sugar). Apparently they use it as part of the bottle conditioning process of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

https://www.millercoorsblog.com/news/about-those-bud-light-ads/?sf207262738=1

This was discussed in this thread:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/rice-vs-corn-syrup-in-beer.604618/page-3#post-6370549

BA SierraTerence replied in the above linked thread:

“We saw that today and we are trying to clear it up.

We use dextrose as a bottle conditioning sugar but it is sourced from potatoes that are non-GMO. I know years ago some of the dextrose would come from tapioca. We did try some malt based dextrose but we couldn't find any that didn't affect the flavor too much (big malty finish).”

Cheers!

@thebeers

15. jesskidden

Yeah, just made (sarcastic) mention of that in another post today myself:
    :wink:

16. rgordon

rgordon Champion (893) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I always liked when breweries spoke of their "all malt" process. I've thought that there was a good honest brevity about making that statement about ingredients.

Squire and mikeinportc like this.
  17. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Champion (841) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

It was always the smell of the ones with a lot corn that turned me off.(without realizing why) If it has less than that amount, enough to be noticeable, then I don't care. Is it good? (To me) :no_mouth:

18. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,759) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

By chance is this the video you were looking for? IIRC those lines appear in this one somewhere.

GrumpyGas and jesskidden like this.
  19. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (259) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

Yeah me too. I just have never seen the benefit of adjuncts personally. At 18-19 I thought the imported Danish adjunct beers we drank were surprisingly light tasting, coming in at 5.6-5.9% abv, I thought I remembered beer tasting stronger from the few tastes I had had before that. I much prefered other imports like Beck's and Gösser (which today don't strike me as full flavored, but they were a definite step up from those Danish beers). Then I figured out that there was an entire domestic brewing industry making all malt beer right here in Sweden and that upended my beer drinking habits once more.

To me all malt definitely makes a difference, as does a European level of hopping.

Squire and rgordon like this.
  20. rgordon

I remember hitchhiking south out of Munich towards (then) Yugoslavia (1971) and having to walk for many miles. The cars were small and full of folks going on vacation on the Adriatic. This was in Austria We stumbled into a roadhouse type place and ordered sausages and BIG beers. The beer was Gosser and we had several! It truly is still one of my most memorable beers.

Crusader and tzieser like this.
  21. dennis3951

Thank you

22. jesskidden

Ha, ha - that's one of the versions. They might not use "corn" or "rice" but, goddam, the amount of saccharine in that video :rolling_eyes:

And misinformation:
    Really? "Mega-Corporations" - in the US brewing industry of the late 19th century? Anheuser-Busch in 1877 (so, a year after the creation of Budweiser) was a 44k bbl. brewery - they weren't even the largest brewery in St. Louis. They had less than ½% of the total US beer market.

Pabst, then known as Ph. Best (and an early experimenter of using corn) was among the largest in the US but still only with a barrelage of about 120k (only 3 other brewers were over 100k), or about a 1.2% market share.

23. jesskidden

According to CNN:
    Of course, as usual with "general interest" sources, there's some inadvertent humorous misinformation, like:

24. JackHorzempa

Society

And the lawyers get richer.

ABI with their stupid advertising campaign (and yes it is indeed misleading) and now MillerCoors with their response is just going to bring Megabrewed beer 'down'.

The best solution here for all concerned would be for ABI to just stop running their stupid commercials. I would be willing to bet that some person in the AB Marketing & Sales department is spinning this new situation as being 'good' publicity.

Sad.:slight_frown:

25. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Crusader (712) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

No chance of that happening now, it's going to be back-and-forth poking for the time being.

Here's Miller Lite's new commercial as well as Bud Light's followup:

zid likes this.
  26. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,111) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

I think you guys need to take a more conspiratorial view of this.

This "rivalry" is all a scam, intending to rile up the faithful of each brand.

27. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,759) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Given that it usually takes months to plan, shoot and edit a commercial, having a new Miller Lite commercial and a new Bud Light commercial which is a response to the Miller Lite isn't going to happen by chance alone. As @MNAle suggests the "rivalry" is part of a larger plan.

GetMeAnIPA and dcotom like this.
  28. rgordon

The context of the story means less than the name being mentioned over and over again. In this newest era of PT Barnum and Elmer Gantry I do tend to believe the medium is the message.And it isn't much of a message.

dennis3951 likes this.
  29. dennis3951

No need to be bring Marshall Mc Luhan into this discussion !!

rgordon likes this.
  30. jesskidden

I'm not a lawyer but.... (I watch a lot of Cable news, so I know to say that) seems like a pretty elaborate publicity stunt.

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
    FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF WISCONSIN

Case No. 19-cv-218
    MILLERCOORS, LLC, Plaintiff,
    v.
    ANHEUSER-BUSCH COMPANIES, LLC, Defendant.

And, in AB's case, it ain't working:

#30 jesskidden, Mar 22, 2019 at 10:29 PM
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019 at 10:41 PM
  31. JackHorzempa

Society

I still stand by most statement in post #24 of:

"ABI with their stupid advertising campaign (and yes it is indeed misleading) and now MillerCoors with their response is just going to bring Megabrewed beer 'down'."

A race to the bottom.

Very sad indeed. :slight_frown:

woodchipper likes this.
  32. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (562) Mar 28, 2009 California

Dude, you’re a genius. I can totally see this. Maybe this was the plan for their marketing partnership.

33. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,185) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I would say you were right but the lawsuit leads me to believe otherwise. Not sure how Miller can win. They claim all the corn syrup is fermented out therefore they don't use corn syrup. Odd.

I imagine the Miller Coors board of directors as a bunch of grown up sitting around a large table wearing adult diapers.

dennis3951 likes this.
  34. dennis3951

I think that had more to do with the other ad. The one that started out for Bud Light but ended up as one for Game of Thrones. No one I know cared one way or the other about the corn syrup ad. Many people were turned of by the brutal death of the Bud Light knight. Maybe killing people to not a good wat to sell beer!

35. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Meyvn (1,386) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois

"We don't chase after trends."

That was funny.

Zorro and CheapHysterics like this.
  36. JackHorzempa

Society

I ran across the below earlier today about Miller suing AB in 2004 over "false, unfair and illegal" marketing tactics. It just seems like the tactics of these megabrewing companies never changes?

“And then Budweiser made a huge misstep when it tried to attack the #2 beer company in 2004.

Taking cues from Pepsi, Miller had launched its own blind taste tests, the results of which formed a new campaign.

In retaliation, Budweiser took out a full-page newspaper ad calling Miller the "Queen of Carbs" and referring to its South African ownership. The ad also showed a bottle of Budweiser accompanied by a script that read "the king of beers, American brewed since 1876."

Critics thought the ad peddled jingoism and sexism at their worst. New York Times' ad columnist Stuart Elliott wrote of his question to an Anheuser-Busch spokesman, "Asked why it is better to be a king than a queen, when they sit together in the throne room," the spokesman replied, "That's up to you to interpret."

Miller filed suit against Anheuser-Busch, arguing that it had "either authorized, encouraged or condoned" employees to affix stickers reading "Queen of Carbs" on Miller Lite bottles in stores. It also accused A-B of "false, unfair and illegal" marketing tactics.

Miller retaliated by poking fun of the "King of Beer" moniker by declaring that a democracy should have a president, not a king. Its ads showed Miller campaigning to he "President of Beers".

For being so American, A-B seemed to forget that Americans love nothing better than an underdog. Picking on Miller, which had 18 percent of beer marketshare to A-B's 50 percent, did nothing but hurt the fledgling Budweiser.”

Cheers!

https://www.businessinsider.com/how...ure-the-baby-boomers-and-the-20-somethings-13

37. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,382) Dec 25, 2003 California

Swill VS Swill. Rediscover Sierra Nevada Pale Ale!

dennis3951 likes this.
  38. dennis3951

Always good advice!