The first beer that you loved

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by thedaveofbeer, Jun 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I agree with @Squire123. Without doubt, Lowenbrau from Munich. In the 60s, my Dad kept plenty of Lowenbrau and Schlitz in the fridge. He knew that I was having a "few". I would relish them after basketball practice and games. We often had a couple together when I was 17 and up. Lowenbrau is true, deep nostalgia. My freshman year in college we found Lowenbrau draft at Lums near Monroe Park at VCU in downtown Richmond. On Saturdays the freshman basketball team (UofR) would make big dents in the keg. Great memories!

tolar111, AngryDutchman and Kevin67 like this.
  2. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

It's still being brewed BUT it's now down from 5.2% ABV to 4.5% and brewed by Greene King who bought out Morlands.It's readily available on cask , in cans and in bottle.
    The name came from an MG competition car. MG and Morlands were both in Abingdon near Oxford.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The beer I first loved was Shipstone's Bitter which was on cask in the pub nearest my school. We used to walk there in the lunchtimes and have a pint.The teachers did the same but used the lounge while we used the bar.
    In those days the lounge was carpeted and equipped with comfortable seating , the bar was more basic with tiled floor and basic seating. Beer was sometimes a few pence more in the lounge.
    Thankfully although the brewery is no more the brewer set up his own micro and I can still enjoy a pint of Shipstone's.And despite all the variety of beers with which the world is now awash I still like my old choice as much as any.
    [​IMG]

DonObiWan, Reef, scottakelly and 3 others like this.
  3. CCBone

CCBone Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2016 Oregon

My first real intro to craft beer was Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown. Fell in love with both and from there really started branching out into all variants of craft

4. Tilley4

Tilley4 Pooh-Bah (2,667) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Paulaner Octoberfest Marzen... That was the beer that kicked it off for me... Still buy it every year...

5. Jarnet87

Jarnet87 Crusader (428) Jul 30, 2014 Florida

Sam Adams Scotch Ale or the Imperial Series Double Bock.

connecticutpoet and Kevin67 like this.
  6. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I got into craft beer 19 years ago by going to Arcadia Brewing when they first started, which is here in Battle Creek. I tried all of their beers that were available back then, but it was their London Porter that I really liked. Back then, I think it was a year-round beer, but now it's a fall/winter seasonal.

7. chicagobeerguy

chicagobeerguy Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Cobra 40 oz. was my first love. She was cheap and got the job done. The memories (or lack thereof) I had with her also helped the relationship.
    As the years went by though I grew up and explored new things, now I'm proud to say that Truth IPA (rhinegeist) is my new found love. I can always find her for a reasonable price and wearing her tropical fruity perfume that has me coming back for more.

8. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands

Has to be Palm, that got me into craft beers, and that's 3 or 4 years ago.

Kevin67 likes this.
  9. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Initiate (0) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

I wish that there was an IPA made today that was as good, and made with as much care and skill as the old Bally IPA in the late '60s/early '70s.
    I haven't come across one yet.

connecticutpoet, rgordon and Kevin67 like this.
  10. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Boulevard wheat when I was 16. All I had was macro and it was a nice intro into craft. A few years later I tried pseudosue and my mind was blown.

11. MUTINY

MUTINY Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2015 Virginia

I thought that I loved MGD for years.
    First craft brew was probably La Fin Du Monde - still love it!

12. Mwags1

Mwags1 Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2014 North Carolina

90minute IPA and I still can't get enough of it

13. House_Common_Brewery

House_Common_Brewery Initiate (0) May 26, 2016 Pennsylvania

[​IMG] Good choice Mutiny!!!!

14. HeyItsThatGuy

HeyItsThatGuy Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2016 Illinois

The first sour I had was Three Floyd's Pear Bear. Pretty much blew me away and completely opened the doors to the whole sour scene. Will not soon forget it, and even at $20 a bottle, the next time I see it I'm buying at least 3

Kevin67 and eppie82 like this.
  15. eppie82

eppie82 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,341) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

First beer I loved, ever: Coors Light…. I was 14 and I hated the taste of beer. This tasted LEAST like a beer, is what I remember thinking.

First beer I loved that got me started on this crazy craft beer/microbrew 'hobby': Gumball Head by 3Floyds. The floodgates opened shortly after that.

16. Lodisgrisen

Lodisgrisen Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2014 Finland

Guinness Draught. Now i don't really think it's that good but i do enjoy it from time to time.

DonObiWan, Rosinante and Kevin67 like this.
  17. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (1,212) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

Devil Mountain Five Malt Ale.

Kevin67 likes this.
  18. puck1225

puck1225 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,585) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Carlsberg Elephant malt liquor. Back in grad school.

Kevin67 likes this.
  19. ceeg

ceeg Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 New York

Yuengling Porter in returnable bottles. It was fresh and perfect!

20. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Pooh-Bah (2,322) Jan 26, 2013 Canada (NB)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

For me it was Double Diamond which was quite exotic given my locale of New Brunswick Canada. I loved that beer, and it always amazed my friends that I wasn't drinking Moosehead or Bud. In the end, it wasn't much different, but I still have my Double Diamond mug to remind me of my youth.

The good stuff came later.

Kevin67 and TongoRad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.