The How My Averagely Perfect NorthEast IPA Turned Out Thread

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by pweis909, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,904) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Too early to ask? Perhaps. But you know what I'm talking about, right? The recipe is here.

No, my beer is not ready yet, but it has been 1 week since I pitched the yeast. I didn't actually monitor the gravity but the airlock was bubbling fast at the start of day 3 and not so much at the end of day 3, so I decided to do the initial dry hop on day 4. Now that we are at day 7, I took a gravity sample. SG=1.014.

For those who lust after images of cloudy beer, here you go.

[​IMG]

Of course I tasted it. Mouthfeel is soft. Hop flavor is tropical. Bitterness is minimal. There is a bit of tannic mouth-dryness at the finish. I haven't decided whether to add dry hop round 2 to the primary fermenter (in a couple days) or to the keg (at least one week away).

#1 pweis909, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,955) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Thanks @pweis909. I was debating when to start this thread. Wanted to get it up by the time someone finished brewing, but not so soon that it would fall off the first page by the time they did. This is probably good timing.

@jbakajust1 is it possible for you to change this thread title to:
    "The How My Averagely Perfect NorthEast IPA Turned Out Thread" ?
    If it can't be changed, perhaps I could start a new one and you could merge.

That way it will be consistent with the other projects' "turned out" threads (easier to find), and will also have "NorthEast" instead of "New England," since that's what the poll threads called it. TIA!

jbakajust1 and pweis909 like this.
  3. AngryDutchman

AngryDutchman Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Pennsylvania

You have to taste it every step of the way if you want to know what the yeast are drinking.

4. AngryDutchman

AngryDutchman Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Pennsylvania

Go Patriots!

5. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (483) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

I'm not ashamed to be labeled a "Luster" . . . did you use all 13+ ounces of hops?

Hogue2112 likes this.
  6. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

I'm at day 5 of fermentation and I added the biotransformation dry hops yesterday. It definitely had a juicy tropical aroma, but I didn't grab a sample to taste. I haven't decided if the traditional dry hop will go into the fermenter or the keg as well, but I'm going to add those hops as soon it's appropriate. I'll report back with an evaluation of the brew once it's pouring.

And @PortLargo I used all 13+ oz of hops in my batch.

Hogue2112, pweis909 and PortLargo like this.
  7. pweis909

Society

This is only through dry hop 1.

8. Naugled

Naugled Defender (640) Sep 25, 2007 New York

Brewed it today, pitched the yeast 2 hours ago. Everything went smoothly. The only thing I had to change in my process was that I didn't cool the wort down to 170F quickly, I let it cool while I was working on an Octoberfest. So it took about 45 mins instead of 10 min and as a result the 10 min addition steeped for quite a bit of time.

Do you guys typically force cool to WP temps? or let it cool slowly?

Oh, I also had a snafu with the water profile. I was out of gypsum so had to get to the profile without it. So I ended up with some extra magnesium.

#8 Naugled, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  9. pweis909

Society

If you are adding hops in hop bags, you could take them out during the whirlpool. I don't, but I have wondered if others do. I suspect you could get a bit more bitterness, maybe more tannin or vegetal flavors? But I generally keep all my prior additions present during the whirlpool, and have never noticed this,

I have some new equipment allowing me to recirculate during chilling, which helped me cool pretty quickly to 170, like maybe 15 minutes.

10. brunascle

brunascle Initiate (42) Nov 4, 2010 Massachusetts

Just brewed a modified version of this today. I skipped the honey malt, IMO it isn't appropriate to style. I also brewed the same malt bill with different hops already and wasn't pleased with the malt flavor or color of the final product. I made the decision last minute after the guy at my LHBS commented that it was unusual, and if anything I should use much less because its flavor and aroma are very strong.

Without the honey malt, the recipe is very similar to a few batches I've already done that have been my favorites to date, so I'm confident it will be excellent.

thatche2 likes this.
  11. pweis909

Society

Care to elaborate? It seems to be present in the various Heady Topper clones. Not that I am a champion for honey malt, heady topper, or anything relating to this style. Never had any of the beers that some might consider style-defining.

Makubex and DrMindbender like this.
  12. brunascle

Agreed about Heady. In fact, Lawson's Sip of Sunshine, in the same vein, came to mind when tasting the batch with the honey malt, maybe in a lower concentration. But I feel like Heady and Sunshine aren't exactly the target with this "style". It's more Trillium and Hill Farmstead, isn't it? And those are much lighter on the malt flavor. The honeyish sweetness I get from this batch doesn't remind me of those.

My opinion of the style is largely influenced by the beers I've already brewed from various recipes I've found. I was going to say I've never seen another claiming to be this style with honey malt, but after a little digging I found this one. So what do I know?

13. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 California

I think your right about the style differences. I don't know which is more the NE style, but Heady is quite different than say Congress st. The whole extreme orange juice looking IPA trend tends to be trillium, tree house, tired hands, and I'm sure more I haven't tried.

The HF, Heady, double sunshine styles have a great hop flavors, but differ from the already mentioned breweries imo.

None of this babble has anything to do with when to use honey malt though :wink:

thatche2 likes this.
  14. pweis909

Society

More than me, I'll wager. You don't find NE IPAs in n. WI. I may need to do some tourism in a quest for first hand experience with this style. When I previously tried to brew something like the Heady clones I've seen, I subbed an amber malt for honey malt, as I didn't want the sweetness. It was good. To style? I don't know.

15. holzwama

holzwama Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2015 Minnesota

Pretty uneventful here...
    I've been after this style all summer and found myself very close to this recipe when I was building one this week, so I decided to follow it exactly!
    A few batches ago was my closest as I used Citra/ Mosaic/ Azacca/ 1318. the color and mouthfeel were the best I've had all summer. I had almost the same grain bill as this recipe, but mine had 2 lbs of golden promise and some carapils 8oz.

Hopefully, I can hit all my marks tomorrow and it comes out amazing! Then it's off to some cool weather porters.

Lukass likes this.
  16. scurvy311

scurvy311 Aspirant (246) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

Transferred this morning and should be able to sample by Thursday afternoon. I pitched a calculated 0.75M/mL/degree Plato with an apparent attenuation of 80.7% using BC. The yeast reached terminal gravity in 5 days and I gave it another 3 for good measure and to verify FG. After dumping the huge hop sediment that was in the cone several times over a few days to get the racking port clear and a few hydrometer samples, I ended up only collecting about 4 gallons. Hydrometer sample is huge hop and looks like a melted slightly darkened orange julius.

[​IMG]

17. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

18. scurvy311

This is on the fermenter:
    Hobby Beverage Equipment Co
    Minibrew
    951-676-2337
    Temecula CA 92593

It's about 10yo but I'm very careful when I clean and disassemble and its like new.

psnydez86 and InVinoVeritas like this.
  19. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

Nice setup there.

Thanks!!

scurvy311 likes this.
  20. DrMindbender

My batch hasn't completed carbonation yet, but I am somewhat disappointed in the results. I have a vegetal flavor that I never get in my usual IPAs that is a little too detracting for me right now... Ive heard this mentioned by other home brewers with their NE IPAs and many times they mention that the vegetal eventually goes away after kegging. Besides the vegetal, I am a little disappointed in the almost lack of perceived bitterness as well. This beer turned out so much less hoppy than I expected in all facets, especially for the amount of hops used in the recipe. I felt that the hops didn't compliment each other and were fighting for dominance in the beer, creating a subpar hop experience. So far, everybody I've shared it with really liked it though, but I guess I'm my own worst critic when it comes to brewing :wink:

Anybody else get vegetal from their batch or a similar hop experience?

Hogue2112 and SFACRKnight like this.
  21. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (484) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

I was expecting this recipe to not have enough bitterness when I saw it, that is one thing I think really unbalances a lot of the "NE IPA's" personally... Too much sweetness/hops and not enough bitterness to balance it all out. I don't like to brew other people's recipes for one reason or another, but my own NE IPA I had brewed last week had a bittering charge of Columbus at 60min (2oz) for 75 IBU right up front. Then the next hop addition was at 10 and 5min, large whirlpool between 160-170F and a dry hop to follow.

As of my last taste right before the second dry hop, it's incredibly aromatic, hop flavor intense and perfectly balanced in terms of sweetness/bitterness. Columbus is such a smooth bittering hop that it just doesn't pop out at you even with the IBU's. My water profile also is very west coast to accent those hops. At this point, I would take mine over any TH or Trillium beer I have had to date (a few dozen). Kegging it up this Thursday and will know by the weekend how the end result is.

thatche2 likes this.
  22. brunascle

Mine is mid-way through the traditional dry hop stage at the moment and I haven't notice any vegetal flavors so far. But I agree about the lack of perceived bitterness. It tastes much lower than 63 IBUs to me. This is my first of this style without a 60 min addition, and I was expecting it to be less bitter, but not this much less. Still tastes fantastic though.

I think at some point I'll try this recipe again with a big 60 min addition, maybe 10ml of hopshot.

pweis909 and DrMindbender like this.
  23. MCBanjoMike

MCBanjoMike Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2014 Canada (QC)

I haven't brewed this recipe yet, but my last two IPAs both involved copious amounts of citra (from different sources) and both batches had a strong onion-y flavor to them. It's possible that the fault lies with some old siphon tubing that I have since gotten rid of, but I'm not 100% convinced that it wasn't just the hops, since the off-flavor faded with time rather than increased.

DrMindbender likes this.
  24. holzwama

holzwama Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2015 Minnesota

Not entirely related, but I did the 2nd phase dry hop in the keg with 3 oz citra 1 oz galaxy. With the hops in the bag and dental floss, the beer smelled amazing from 10 feet away. I left them in for 5 days. It was fully carbed last night and I tried it.
    It lost most of the aroma and is now pouring much more "clear". When I was trying the first few ounces before it was carbed it was great and very cloudy.
    Did I lose it all by taking the hops out? I just didn't want to get the vegetal tones by keeping the hops in the keg too long.

25. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Initiate (0) May 29, 2011 Florida

Where you get this fermenter at?

26. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,875) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Citra hops are high in a compound of 4-Mercapto-4-methylpentan-2-one (4MMP). Some people report that this compound reminds them of cat pee. I am guessing that this compound may be providing an oniony flavor for you.

Cheers!

InVinoVeritas and Tebuken like this.
  27. kcq101

kcq101 Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2007 Pennsylvania

Sorry to hear about the initial impressions. But hopefully the additional carbonation will accentuate some of the bitterness and highlight the hops a bit more. And I bet a little cold conditioning in the keg will certainly help with the vegetal notes.

I finally got around to brewing this on Sunday and it's currently fermenting like a beast. So, just waiting for the first dry hop. Brewday was polarizing - certainly not without its hiccups. Hit all my numbers, but lost a good half gallon in the transfer to my fermenter. And I had to cut my immersion chilling off due to a torrential downpour that swept in just after I ended my 15 min. hop whirlpool. Scrambling inside, it turns out my new 30L Speidel fermenter doesn't fit in my 'fridge. So I essentially no-chilled from 140F and pitched the yeast 18 hours later at 67F. Who knows, maybe I get some more hop flavor (in addition to DMS and risk of infection)? I remain very optimisitic while still mourning the loss of that half gallon of wort.

I see that you dropped the initial dry hop on day 4. When did you drop in the traditional dry hop and how long did you wait until transferring to the keg? I'm just curious as to your total dry hop contact time.

Looking forward to seeing and posting pictures soon!

runbirddrinkbeer likes this.
  28. Naugled

Naugled Defender (640) Sep 25, 2007 New York

Mine is carbed up now but I've been tasting it along the way. I don't have any vegetal notes, though I have had them in other DH'ed beers I've brewed. That is one of the reasons I've backed off on DH'ing. I typically only do WP's and if I do DH it's during fermentation.

I was also in the camp of being afraid this recipe would not have enough bitterness, but it has plenty, I would even call it firm bitterness. But I did vary from the process a bit and allowed the 10 min hop addition to sit for about 60 min post flame out and prior to WP so I might have a few extra IBU's in there. I'm happy with the balance.

However it is fading fast. 5 day's ago I thought this beer was beautiful. I was in heaven, the aroma was intense and heady, the flavor was clear and full of citrus/tropical notes. But here I am almost one week in and it's fading already. I did not add the second DH addition though. I wanted to see how it went without it first. I'm going to let it sit for another week to see how it changes. And I may DH at that point, to see if it brightens it up. But from my experience, that will only buy me another week or two of fresh hop flavor/aroma and potentially add some vegetal notes.

kcq101 likes this.
  29. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,875) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

It will be interesting to see how other BAs report on this topic.

Cheers!

30. scurvy311

I traded some welding for that one (that one is 8-10 years old and like new on the inside), but I purchased another one on eBay about 3 years years ago for $150ish.

31. scurvy311

I sampled today at 2days on CO2. It has big hop aroma and I get the mosaic supported by the other hops. I'm satisfied with it, although in mine there is a distinct pointed bitterness in the finish. I'll hold judgment until it is fully carbed.

32. DrMindbender

I added the traditional dry hops around day 11-12 and kegged on day 16-17. The aroma has always smelled good, although it is beginning to fade, but the flavor is still a little off after being carbed and cold for nearly a week. I havent detected much decrease in the vegetal yet either.

33. brunascle

Bottling day!

[​IMG]

I try not to judge a beer on bottling day because that last bit left over from the bottom of the bucket frequently tastes like ass, but... wow, just wow. And the aroma from the fermentor, easily the best aroma from any batch to date. This is going to be a really good one.

Now excuse me while I sacrifice a virgin to the gods of oxidation so that they might be kind to my beer this time.

34. scurvy311

[​IMG]
    7 days on CO2
    I get citrus hops then fruity hops then great yeast flavors, then a dryness (more of a sensation then actual dryness) that, to me is typical of the honey malt then malt then lastly I still get a pointed bitterness on the very back of my tongue. It still needs to warm a bit, but overall a very good beer. I got a chance to taste a NEIPA that was brewed by @mattviator using a very similar recipe. His is fantastic, rounder and smoother, but the aroma on this one is bigger, possibly bc mine is fresher. I'm looking forward to getting him a bottle of mine. His tasted like a commercial beer to me. Granted this one still needs a few more days to round out a little more.

#34 scurvy311, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Lukass and CurtFromHershey like this.
  35. pweis909

Society

sampling keg after 1 week of final fry hop, in keg, under carb.
    Aroma: pineapple.
    Taste: Grapefruit rind bitterness somewhat balanced by sweetness. Alas, the rindiness inspires an back of throat irritation reminiscent of reflux. Not the first time a dryhopped beer seems like this to me. It usually fades a bit
    Mouthfeel. Soft and silky, but prickly finish.

In my opinion, this needs a couple more weeks, but it's promising.

kcq101 and scurvy311 like this.
  36. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (152) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

i did a one gallon version. i couldnt find any galaxy hops so i subsituted with amarillo plus more citra, mosiac. the aromoa prior to bottling was peach and tropical fruit. im rather excited to open one up a week fom today

pweis909 likes this.
  37. pweis909

Society

I made one featuring a good bit of Amarillo in May. It's all gone now, of course. Good stuff.

38. kcq101

kcq101 Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2007 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]

Wow! Really enjoying this! More feedback to come tomorrow and better lit pictures in natural light. But this is quite the recipe.

This was also my first time treating my mash and sparge water. So the apparent effects are just as exciting in consideration of my future brews.

A tip of the cap to all who had contributed, most notably @VikeMan.

SlĂ inte!

39. FreeTibet

FreeTibet Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2008 Tennessee

[​IMG]
    Here is one of mine - 2 Row, Flaked Wheat, White Wheat, Flaked Oats/El Dorado, Denali, Mosaic and Citra/London Ale iii. It was reasonably soft, but I am going to have to continue to work on the water profile that actually gets these to be "pillowy!"

What water profiles are the rest of you going with?

40. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (383) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

Do you guys think the lack of "perceived bitterness" is due to the super low Sulfate levels you picked? I brewed a Pale with final decided upon water profile here and then brewed the same exact recipe with sulfates much higher (kept the Chloride the same) and it's not done just yet but IMHO the mouthfeel and I overall flavor is better. The low sulfate/high chloride produced a really round flavor but almost no perceived bitterness and just a dull but smooth mouthfeel. Higher Sulfate level beer has a slightly sharper feel and provides the texture I love in hoppy beer but without tons of bitterness. Adds that little bit of tingling on the tongue... Maybe I'm crazy but that's just what it seems like to me. I think the higher chloride is critical but keeping the sulfates highish is also somewhat important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.