The How My Averagely Perfect Saison Turned Out Thread

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,962) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

DrMindbender likes this.
  2. Naugled

Naugled Defender (640) Sep 25, 2007 New York

I plan to brew this on the 18th, collecting ingredients now.

3. wspscott

wspscott Champion (883) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

I just need to step up some Orval dregs, going to the store tomorrow.

inchrisin likes this.
  4. scurvy311

scurvy311 Aspirant (246) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

Sept, Oct, or Dec...I'd like to tackle this in one of my free months

5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I will be doing this recipe shortly.. Need a saison on tap.\]

6. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

I brewed this Wed., and ended up with an OG of 1.044...so I'm already deviating from the recipe :slight_frown:

Currently at 75° in the ferm chamber, utilizing a brew quilt and heating pad (set to medium).

hoptualBrew likes this.
  7. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,906) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I brewed a pale ale tonight. Would have done this except I put too much effort into stepping up my Brett trois starter :rolling_eyes: Saison is my next beer once I free up a temp controller. Possibly in 2 weeks.

8. inchrisin

inchrisin Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I sat out on most, or all of the voting. I'm still a newbie for brewing sours. I'm looking forward to posting again on this thread to describe my sauerkraut beer. :slight_smile: Thanks, once again VikeMan, for all the shit we put you through.

9. JohnSnowNW

[​IMG]

Nearly 4 days to the hour, it's now sitting at 80°!

pweis909 and VikeMan like this.
  10. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (454) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

@JohnSnowNW Let us know how this one continues to come along. I think I'll be gathering ingredients this weekend and hopefully drinking by mid summer

11. JohnSnowNW

Can do, I'm bottling tomorrow...so I'll have some more information to share.

Lukass, jlordi12 and ChrisMyhre like this.
  12. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,025) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

How long in the primary, 3-4 weeks approx? I've been wanting to try this recipe, but I'm a brett virgin... I'm guessing the brett character will take some time to develop in the bottle. Would you bottle this like any other beer? TIA!

13. JohnSnowNW

I'm looking at 3 weeks, currently. I had activity for a solid 1.5 weeks, but nothing since. I'll know more tomorrow, as I'll be taking an FG before I bottle.

I will be bottling as I would with any other beer.

Lukass likes this.
  14. pweis909

Society

I think I'll be making my starter for this one tonight.

15. VikeMan

Society

I'd recommend you make sure it's really done, and not slowly munching away. I don't know about the Brett strain, but 3724 can be pretty slow. Possibly to the point of no visible activity, depending on your setup, airtightness, etc, YMMV.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  16. JohnSnowNW

That's the purpose of checking the FG...and why I'm being a little conservative with carbing to 3.2 volumes. I won't be bottling unless I'm at a certain FG threshold.

17. JohnSnowNW

[​IMG]

With temperature correction 1.003-4, confirmed within .001 with refractometer. I'm calling it done.

Tastes very clean, sazz-y, with some fruit notes, seems like it's going to be a good one.

Edited: Incorrect FG posted earlier.

#17 JohnSnowNW, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    VikeMan and jbakajust1 like this.
  18. JohnSnowNW

Editing again, I'm being a bit anal with these readings so I went ahead and checked calibration on both instruments, and the original is more accurate. I don't know that it especially matters, but I feel most comfortable with 1.004-5.

19. Naugled

You should get an FG hydro, they are very easy to read, with great accuracy. I'm really glad I got mine.

20. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Having switched over to a refractometer I'm not sure I would go back, I always felt like I was stealing too much beer from my future self with hydrometer readings.

21. Naugled

Fracts are nice, I have a couple, but you can't get the same accuracy on a fract for FG as you can with a FG hydro.
    I hear ya about the volume though. It would be nice to have a little tiny mini FG hydro that uses a small amount of liquid. I wonder if they exist?

22. JohnSnowNW

I actually tried to buy one, one time, but NB was out of them. Then I sort of let it slip. Since I keg, accuracy hasn't been as much of a concern. I'll probably grab one eventually, they're cheap enough.

I really like using it for OG, but my understanding was that accuracy suffers for FG. Obviously, there are calcs that can help correct the reading...but I haven't really looked into their margin of error.

I should say I feel more comfortable with the hydrometer for FG, but I don't know if there is any rational reason to feel that way.

23. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (271) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

So in this whole thread there seems to be exactly one pertinent post. I'm really curious about this beer and it's turned into another refractometer thread.

Push_the_limits and inchrisin like this.
  24. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I think it's a reasonable concern, but not enough to get me to regularly use a hydrometer. I'm currently just using the calculator in Brewcipher and it has been plenty accurate for my use. Some good reading material on the calculations;
    http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/

Sean notes that the standard deviation for his sample size of 68 beers was 1.3 gravity points. Therefor you could expect essentially all(99.7%) results to be within 4 points. I can live with that. You still should see any change in gravity as well and I don't think there is cause for concern when bottling when gravity remains consistent. There is no harm in double checking with a hydrometer at times as well, but for me, I'm more than happy with just the refractometer.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  25. Naugled

Sorry for the hijack. I'll try to bring it back.

I plan to brew this beer on Sunday. I'll post how it goes. We didn't discuss much past the initial primary and ramp. I plan to leave this beer in the fermenter for at least 6-8 weeks before bottling. Does anyone plan to keg this?

26. Naugled

Brewed yesterday, OG a little high 1.046 :grinning: I think it will be fine.
    Co-pitched at 68F, ramping 2 deg every 12 hours to hit 80F in three days, and then plan to hold that for another 5 to 7 days. Then shut off and let condition at 68F for 4-6 weeks.

Thoughts on the ramp? Too fast?

27. JohnSnowNW

I ramped up over 4 days, and left it at 80° for 18 days total. I can't tell you if your's is too fast...but my sample tasted delicious.

28. VikeMan

Society

I can't speak for the Brett, but my best results with 3724 have been ramping up to 80-ish over about 7 days, then holding there to end of fermentation. Again, the Brett may change all that.

PortLargo likes this.
  29. wspscott

wspscott Champion (883) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

Brewed yesterday. I was going to do 10 gallons and split with Orval dregs in one bucket and 644 in the other, but I just tasted a APA that used the 644 and it was missing the trois "magic" so I decided to not use that again.

Instead, I did 12 gallons split into 3 buckets. One got the brett as a copitch, one is going to get the brett somewhere between 36 - 48 hours in, and the last is going to get brett at bottling. As a member of the gang of 37 (or what ever that was), I am going to do my part to figure out the best time to add brett to a saison :slight_smile: I'll report back in a couple of months.

koopa, jlordi12, ChrisMyhre and 4 others like this.
  30. zimm421

zimm421 Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2009 Ohio

Not as high as my OG... I reconfigured the mash tun a little bit and way overshot my efficiency. Ended up at 1.052. After 2.5 weeks (today), I'm down to 1.007. I was considering bottling after 3 weeks, but at this point I'm going to let it sit for at least another week and a half. Hydrometer sample tasted great; can't wait to see where this goes.

31. pweis909

Society

Patience, Rockhopper. These are Brett beers, after all.
    Mine is on day 4. OG came in at 1.046, temp reached 80 F by day 3.5 or so. I had planned to let it sit in the primary for a couple-three weeks before checking gravity and taking a hydro sample.

32. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Aspirant (271) Jan 13, 2006 New Mexico

I haven't followed the thread so I figured the beer had been brewed by now, that's why Vike was asking how it turned out. And since I'm about to brew a brett saison, I NEED TO KNOW NOW. Just kidding, but it's time to brew some summer brett beers.

pweis909 likes this.
  33. cwehr13

cwehr13 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2011 Illinois

newb question.. do you pitch the brett with the other yeast or wait a couple days to pitch the brett

34. JohnSnowNW

In this recipe, it's pitched simultaneously.

35. OddNotion

OddNotion Zealot (585) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Ingredients picked up today. I plan on brewing it on Saturday. My hope is to begin drinking this by August. I will likely bottle some of this as well for some age experimentation.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  36. pweis909

Society

Yes, but it was a matter of some debate. @cwehr13 - you can make a brett beer any number of ways.
    • all brett,
    • part brett and part saccharomyces at the beginning
    • sacch at beginning an brett later
    • etc.
    If you read the American Sours book by Old Sock, you'll see there are about as many ways to make this style as there are people brewing it. Like other styles, it boils down to knowing your ingredients, knowing your own process, and knowing what you want to get out of your beer.

37. Naugled

7 days in, ramped from 68F to 80F, 1 degree every 12 hours (I slowed the ramp down from original plans), SG measured at 1.0065, I'm hoping to get at least another 4 pts lower over the next couple weeks.

Smells and tasted really nice right now, pineapple and banana dominates the profile.

[​IMG]
    The set up is PID controlled heat tape, white felt is just being used to help insulate. TC is simply taped to the side of the corny. I'm also monitoring the internal temp with a probe, which also reads exactly 80F. The plastic hair net is used as a dust cover.

koopa and JohnSnowNW like this.
  38. OddNotion

OddNotion Zealot (585) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey

Brewed it on Saturday, still nice activity but was comfortable removing the blow off tube this morning. Very excited for this beer, I have been experimenting with saisons recently in an attempt to make one to have on tap at all times, haven't been able to nail one down yet, hopefully this fits the bill.

jlordi12 likes this.
  39. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (454) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

brewed it Friday night, probably bottle after a month. I'll try like hell to only drink a 6 pack a month to see how it develops, but no promises !

OddNotion likes this.
  40. JohnSnowNW

[​IMG]

Just shy of two weeks bottle conditioning, as I couldn't wait and wanted to see how it was carbing, it's really nice. I'm getting a subtle Brett component. Still tasting fruity and clean, with a really nice spicy noble hop component.

If anyone is on the fence about brewing this, just do it, this is probably my favorite Saison I've brewed so far...and it's not even "ready" yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.