The Year in Beer: Breaking Down 2019

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Jan 13, 2020.

1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (16,536) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

Limited, higher alcohol, American-style IPAs, Stouts, and Sours from a select group of American brewers apparently dominated palates and discussions on BeerAdvocate in 2019.

Read the full article: The Year in Beer: Breaking Down 2019

#1 BeerAdvocate, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2020
    Gushue3, desint, PNW and 25 others like this.
  2. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Crusader (770) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

I know SN makes an effort to make a solid Oktober Marzen year to year. But I'd love to see more American breweries make an honest effort to make some high end Hef/Dunkel weizens, I am almost getting bored with IPAs.

I think Live Oak's Hef has been the heavy weight out of the states for many a moon.

3. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (6,197) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Please bring back the Belgian beer fest! Always wanted to go, maybe a trip to the east coast would be in order...

Thankin_Hank, wljpsu1, hopley and 6 others like this.
  4. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,297) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Any consideration on hosting a beer event outside of Boston? Philadelphia, Chicago or Denver may be easier to reach for a broader group of posters.

Loved the article and stats, I have many pending beers and places to add, need to start tomorrow.

Paclog, hopley, Shanex and 7 others like this.
  5. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,167) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

This is awesome. thanks for sharing. I am going to refocus myself away from IPAs. vote with your wallet and all that

6. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (229) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

A lot of this is fairly unsurprising, if not a little sad....BUT, whatever, it's the direction it's going and it'll go other directions as well. It's the nature of things and I'm eager to see where it goes in the future. Spoiler alert: Hazy IPAs and Pastry Stouts won't be the trendy thing forever, and in the meantime there are many good beers to enjoy :grin:cheers to a good year for beer!

7. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (6,197) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Belgian Beer Fest Chicago, we can dream!

FBarber and dukeandduke like this.
  8. Todd

Todd Founder (5,748) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

We've hosted several fests in Portland (Maine), Brooklyn, and Los Angeles, but I'd love to do more.

9. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,594) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Hmm, wasn't this just being discussed somewhere? :thinking_face::wink:
    @zid @AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ, zid and Bitterbill like this.
  10. officerbill

officerbill Devotee (452) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

“Our numbers include contact brewers / beer marketing companies and breweries with multiple locations.”

I'm a little confused by this. If one contract brewery makes beer for five different labels does that count as 1, 5, or 6 “breweries”?

Ditto on the app, 90+% of my usage is on my phone
    +1 on the Belgian Fest

neenerzig likes this.
  11. Todd

Updated. It was in reference to a stat that I had removed, hence the disconnect.

mikeinportc and officerbill like this.
  12. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Crusader (770) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

@Todd You should hold a fest in Seattle's Fremont/Ballard neighborhood. There's at least a dozen SOLID breweries in stumbling distance down there as well as some really good gastropubs. I'd even let fellow BAs stay at my place and or camp on my 1/3 acre yard. :slight_smile:

13. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,601) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I'm sure the Places reviews have taken a dive as well. I know there was a thread about that on another forum, would still like that to be a focus going forward. Maybe something else an "app" can help with?

PapaGoose03 and officerbill like this.
  14. zid

zid Meyvn (1,410) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I know, right? It’s a good thing I actually liked one of them. :wink: :beers:

Singlefinpin, AlcahueteJ and steveh like this.
  15. Todd

Singlefinpin and champ103 like this.
  16. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,500) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I adore this site. I've been an active member for 7 years, and have learned so much from it. However, there are a few things that have caused me to look elsewhere for beer information, and I'd love to see them addressed by this site:

Lack of beer photos - Not only is it very difficult to add a photo to a beer listing, there is only one. Before I drink/buy/or trade for a beer, I like to take a look at it - Bottle shape, color, viscosity, etc.

Lack of specific beer information - When adding a beer, you have to go back and edit the listing to add a description of the beer. What's in it, aging time, etc. The approval process is sometimes lengthy, and most of the beers do not have notes that tell you anything about it. As someone who has added almost 1,100 beers to this site, I would love to see the ability to add notes to the listing while adding it.

Lack of ratings - Just like we look at Yelp before going to a restaurant, I sometimes like to look at the ratings/reviews of other before making a purchase. Obviously, taste is subjective, but I like to read about mouthfeel, viscosity, etc. Clearly, an app would help drive more traffic to rate beers, but the lack of beer feedback can cause me to look elsewhere.

Overall, BA is amazing, and if it stayed as is, I'd still love it.

17. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,167) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Right, but the next part of it says...

"I’m guessing this number is a bit lower as we added New England IPA (6,909) as a style last year and some beers have yet to be recategorized. Same with American Imperial IPA (4,726)."

If you scroll through the American IPA category, as Todd says, you'll see some that need to be recategorized. And New England IPA was only added as a specific style sometime last year. I imagine 2020 will be a completely different story, with the "New England" style dominating new beers added.

59% of the IPAs added this year weren't like Sierra Nevada's 40th Anniversary Ale (meaning they weren't in the "American IPA" category. Without recategorizing, 11,635 IPAs are in the New England style and/or are Imperial (I'm assuming some of the Imperials are probably New England style as well, and haven't been recategorized).

It's not wrong to say we didn't need another IPA and that they're still everywhere, but at the very least in my area, the 40th Anniversary Ale isn't a common profile for an IPA. And again, I'm of course IN New England, so it makes sense they're ubiquitous here.

mikeinportc and dukeandduke like this.
  18. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (907) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

@Todd
    Re: "Our community needs more international users and their voices."

Agreed.

I would recommend reviewing the non-US forums for regions that could benefit from further break-down, or sortable discussion tags, more useful to local users. For example, Canada is covered by a single forum, but it's very large and beer/brewery availability varies a lot. Local beer news from Nova Scotia is probably little use to someone in British Columbia and vice versa. The usefulness of the forums is limited to them. (@Coronaeus, @TheDoctor ).

All of Asia is covered by a single forum too.

I understand you probably need more of a plan and promotion than the Field of Dreams approach...
    [​IMG]
    ...but if there's not much here for people when they come it's unlikely they will stick around waiting for something to be built. And I do understand it's far easier for me say these things than for it to actually be done.

Shanex, mikeinportc, FBarber and 5 others like this.
  19. Todd

@Ranbot: We broke things down quite a bit in the past, but consolidated things over the years due to lack of use. I agree though. The approach requires a much bigger plan and promotional support.

20. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (907) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I like Untappd's community-sourced photo system and could imagine something similar here, although I'm sure it requires significantly more moderation/review efforts and host server space.

stevesbeer and hopley like this.
  21. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,601) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

22. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,594) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

This is the real point I'm emphasizing, I'll just use the headline and not try to dissect the article to suit all opinions: 21,658 New India Pale Ales.

I don't care what sort of sub-category they're in, IPA is fast becoming a synonym for "beer," (I've heard it spoken in stores and bars) and that's just not a fact.

With so many IPAs out there, it's hard for me to believe New England has pushed them all away in favor of the NEIPA only, but I don't live there so I have to rely on reports from the source.

23. rudzud

rudzud Poo-Bah (6,449) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I would disagree about the difficulty of uploading a beer picture. The file size limit makes sense and 150x300 is easy enough to do. There's also numerous forums posts that detail step by step instructions on how to do that if people are not tech literate.

I agree, adding notes when adding the beer would streamline it a bit, however, I understand the desire to make sure things are factually accurate.

Obviously it would be great if everyone who drank a beer took the time to write out a few notes on what they just consumed. Sadly though that doesn't happen.

24. rudzud

Society Trader

I'd love to see some more styles get added. Kettle sour, Golden Ale, Imperial Milk Stout to name a few.

dukeandduke, bobv and PapaGoose03 like this.
  25. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,736) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Thanks for the numbers. Really intriguing.

Would it be possible to get a break-down of 'new beers' per style, and possibly a break down of the current, active listings (snapshot from December 31st, 2019)?

These forums are awash with complaints of the lack of diversity within beer styles being produced. I'd like to see how that claim holds up based on the Beer Advocate database. It would also give users more comparable context in relation to their beer style consumption breakdown, as is provided by the site currently.

26. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,273) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I like your post. You mention that you like to READ about “mouthfeel viscosity” yet of the 4527 Ratings that you have done only 241 are written??

kemoarps, officerbill and rudzud like this.
  27. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,794) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

It’s not at all easy if you don’t know how to do it. I used to upload photos of beers frequently. It was twelve steps or so, but I understood how to do it and was willing to put in the effort. Then the online editing tool I used updated and no longer worked with my phone. I’ve tried several other online editors, and haven’t been able to get them to work with my phone either.

ElmerLovejoy, Shanex and Bitterbill like this.
  28. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Crusader (787) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Great breakdown, very interesting.
    "Delurk". I believe that's the first time I've seen that word. I like it. I'll strive to delurk this year.

29. Todd

You already have.

30. StoutSnob40

Society Trader

Right. Luckily, not everyone is as lazy as me.

mikeinportc likes this.
  31. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (365) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

21,658 New India Pale Ales vs. 5,465 New Lagers

I knew lagers were a less-brewed range of beers among "craft" brewers but crikey, seeing 'em lagging that far behind a single style of ale is pretty startling.

As a fan of brew in the 4%-and-under range, I'm also a bit bummed by the increase in the average ABV to 6.8%.

I appreciate the opportunity to have seen this breakdown. Many thanks.

32. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,273) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Right and you want written reviews Hopefully you will do some so others can read them like you want to have.

kemoarps and rudzud like this.
  33. rudzud

Society Trader

Uhh..what? picresize.com is still active and working as is fotor. Both of which are mentioned in guides. Both should work with your phone (they work with mine). If they don't, then why are you doing it from your phone and not a computer? It takes something like 90 seconds tops to format a picture correctly using one of those websites and upload it to the BA database.

#33 rudzud, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    hopley and officerbill like this.
  34. rudzud

Society Trader

You beat me to this. This guy states that 'lack of beer feedback' drives him to other sites yet he is part of the very problem he brings up.

Think about how much more information this site would have if every 'ticked' a beer instead had a user who spent even just two minutes writing down some sort of description about what they drank. If one's own laziness serves to help drive them away from this website then what good would it be in trying to reel them back?

35. GratefulBeerGuy

GratefulBeerGuy Poo-Bah (2,984) May 20, 2006 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Love the breakdown of the entire year!! That's BeerGeek food of the gods!!
    Personally I will always love my Belgians. I'm personally hoping for more diversity within the IPA categories as well. Within the New England Hazy styles you could probably have at least 5 sub styles within that style alone...but that's a discussion for another time. Thanks for all you do BeerAdvocate Bro's!!

36. rudzud

Society Trader

Yeah it sure seems like every single brewery HAS to have at least a half dozen, typically hazy, IPAs at any time. It's what the market demands and as such brewers have little choice. If all everyone wanted to drink was Kvass then it'd be that style, and so on.

kemoarps, dukeandduke and mikeinportc like this.
  37. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,823) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Try this site:

https://bulkresizephotos.com/en?resize_type=exact&resize_value=150&secondary_resize_value=300

mikeinportc and rudzud like this.
  38. StoutSnob40

Society Trader

It was more a commentary on the overall lack of ratings and site traffic in general.. as the article outlined. But thank for your criticism. Writing over 200 reviews is probably more than 90% of most people on the site, though.

39. StoutSnob40

Society Trader

1,090 beers added, 241 beers reviewed, 61 places added, 41 places reviewed, 3,000 forum posts.. man, I wish I contributed to this site...

40. Beginner2

Beginner2 Poo-Bah (3,162) Feb 14, 2016 Illinois
    Society

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to bookmark this post and geek out on 2020's stats.

I also vote for the Belgian Beer Fest. Boston is OK for the first year. But move it around.

The multi-review feature is important because brewers should know what repeat buyers think. But, it should be simple to at least count how many times a reviewer returns to that beer. Then, give extra Karma if they check a box that at least says that they edited the review and/or revised the rating. I note that now in almost all my repeats.

Todd likes this.