Three Beers to Pair with a Lobster Roll

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Jun 8, 2018.

1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (17,668) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

We asked Row 34 beer director Suzanne Hays to select three beers to accompany this simple—yet scrumptious—New England classic.

Read the full article: Three Beers to Pair with a Lobster Roll

2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,430) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Gimme a Narragansett lager over all of these. :wink:

Ahonky, PorterPro125, rgordon and 8 others like this.
  3. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,342) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I would prefer a solid Lager with this.
    Cheers and thanks for making me hungry now..... :yum:

4. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (481) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

That lobsta roll looks amazing. I like your beer pairing choices as well!

SFACRKnight and FBarber like this.
  5. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (832) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

It is the official beer of lobsta rolls, son.

tzieser and FBarber like this.
  6. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,010) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Mild to mid lager for me because I don't want to overpower the lobster.

7. tzieser

tzieser Savant (976) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

What the hell is that thing in the article pic? Looks like a bunch of celary cut with mayo. No tail or claw meat to be seen. Super massive, artisanal-looking roll. Epic fail.

Anyway, pretty much anything pairs with a lobster roll. I'd definitely go the lager route, maybe a saison of some sort like Free Rise by Trillium if you're feeling fancy.

The real debate should be Maine style (cold, usually cut with a bit of mayo) or Connecticut style (warm with drawn butter). There is no wrong answer here but I typically lean towards CT style.

One last thing, if it's not on a New England hot dog bun (top sliced) then it's not really a proper lobster roll. Sucks that they're nearly impossible find down here (Pepperidge Farm a version of them but they're not quite up to par, IMO...too puffy/large).

Official beer of the clam, too!

[​IMG]

#7 tzieser, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  8. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,315) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

Love Row 34, but lobster roll price crazy high. They make really good lobster tacos there too.

AirBob likes this.
  9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,609) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Yep, was just going to say that, a little taste on NE in a glass and on your plate. I had the best Lobster Rolls on a roadside truck in the middle of nowhere in Maine over 35 years ago. I've had high end rolls but those Maine rolls were easily the best.

FBarber likes this.
  10. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (356) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Never had a lobster roll, I'll have to try one at a local seafood place where I've seen them on menu. Had a shrimp po boy today though, so probably good on seafood sammys for the week.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  11. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,454) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Forget pairings, just give me the lobster roll! :yum:

12. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,538) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

When I was in Massachusetts last year, I went to Turner’s Seafood in Salem and had this beauty:

I can easily say that it was the best lobster roll I ever had because it’s the only one I’ve ever had! Oh, and when in Massachusetts, the obvious choice is Narragansett!
    *side note - it was also the most expensive ‘sandwich I have ever had

13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,609) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I've only had the Maine style, but I like it better at room temp to slightly warm. There's a place in Greensboro that has them on the menu and they are expensive but they serve them chilled. I don't think I'd like it on a bun with garlic butter, I'll just take the lobster straight up that way.

tzieser likes this.
  14. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (2,913) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Carton Boat would pair nicely with a lobster roll.

15. tzieser

Trader

I’m a fan of both. I certainly would never turn down a Maine-style one and they are typically the more popular option. Even McDonald’s has lobster rolls in the summer (also served chilled). The only reason I dig the CT style a bit more than the ME is because you never know how much mayo is being used. When done right, they’re delightful but sometimes it’s like 50% mayonnaise which is always disappointing after you spent $20 on one. Yeah, lobster rolls are always a bit pricey but then again it is lobster we’re talking about here.

Garlic butter with lobster? Gross. Drawn (clarified) butter only or GTFO lol cheers

meefmoff likes this.
  16. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Crusader (784) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Premium

I have never had a lobster roll. But when I find one I'm going to give it a try.
    I like Anchor Steam Beer with my seafood though. Red Snapper Vera Cruz @Flying Fish Ft. Worth.
    [​IMG]
    Gonna look for Narragansett.

17. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,669) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Only had one lobster roll, but it remains my favorite meal during that vacation.

I'll gladly try out all these beer pairings when I get the next opportunity.

tzieser likes this.
  18. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,236) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

I could see a sour cutting through the fat in a lobster roll, pretty sure that explains the lemon being served on the side.

19. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Aspirant (292) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Agreed, that doesn't look right at all- cole slaw sandwich?

@RaulMondesi that's more of what we are looking for. Unless you're in PEI or Nova Scotia, you're gonna have to pay a fair bit for a good roll, you get what you pay for.

tzieser and FBarber like this.
  20. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,010) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Searching for a less costly lobster roll is a futile exercise for most of us even if you buy fresh lobster and make your own, which I have done. That does give you control over the ingredients though.

meefmoff, EvenMoreJesus and FBarber like this.
  21. woodchipper

woodchipper Savant (979) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Premium

Yea, CT Lobster Rolls rule. Lots of butter, bun toasted on the sides. I think you need a real hoppy IPA to cut through all that excellent butter fat though.
    I would take a 'Gansett for sure if I had no choice but the mayonnaise style roll.

22. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,985) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

Maybe it's just me, but I'd go all in on DFH Mixed Media with a lobster roll.

23. tzieser

Trader

The only thing I could guess is that they had to cut corners (and cost) for the photo and used krab stick or something like that. It definitely looks like that seafood salad mystery meat you get at the deli counter.

brutalfarce likes this.
  24. rgordon

rgordon Champion (851) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The last lobster roll I had was at Neptune Oyster in Boston. I had a Harpoon IPA with it. About three minutes later I ordered one more of both. I can taste that sammich right now!

25. Moses1618

Moses1618 Initiate (56) Dec 23, 2013 Maine

Shipyard Summer Ale
    Classic and still the best with Lobster!

dwoolley1 likes this.
  26. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (2,729) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Premium

Had a really nice conversation with Suzanne when I visited Boston last year, ske knows her stuff. The place was great too!

27. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,298) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

We do lobster rolls in the tavern i work and based off our tap selection, id go with Leipziger Gose, Sierra Nevada Sidecar or Sixpoint Alpenflo. Any of these beers would compliment or contrast the lobster roll we make (fresh, i personally have cracked those claws and tails) because the roll is heavy and heavily buttered and the lobster being sweet with a zip from celery, the mayo we unfortunately use is "heavy duty" and all 3 of the beers can cut that richness.
    Cheers.

28. Pmatson

Pmatson Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Ohio
    Premium

Allagash White is my first choice to pair with lobster rolls in Maine, whether it is ME or CT style (I prefer the latter).

Onemoresolo likes this.
  29. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,647) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Premium

You haven't had a lobster roll until you've been to Red's. :wink:

30. Amendm

Amendm Disciple (326) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

Most lobster rolls I have tried from restaurants just use mayo with salt and pepper and that’s usually it.
    I have had this New England favorite with a Bass Ale and it matched very well.
    This recipe is jazzed up a bit with red onion and celery salt and the bun contains rosemary so I would try for a lighter ale that is not overly hoppy.
    I would stick with English Pale Ales but with an upgrade in quality and malt character.
    Smuttynose Shoals Pale Ale is an ale that I have tried and enjoyed with food and would match this recipe.
    Mangiare and salute.

#30 Amendm, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  31. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (222) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

I visited Row 34 before my flight out of Boston last week. Pretty neat spot, very busy when I was there so I had to stand. It was my first ever lobster roll. I did it with the hot butter and paired it with a Rothaus Pils. it was amazing.

tzieser and brutalfarce like this.
  32. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Crusader (767) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)

I had a lobster roll with a Samuel Adams Summer Ale last summer in Maine. The lemon from the Summer Ale really compliments the lobster well (as does citrus with pretty much any seafood).

If I'm on home-field eating those beautiful Fundy Bay lobsters, it's got to be a Moosehead Lager :wink:

33. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (778) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

If you're at Row 34 or Neptune Oyster in Boston, just pair it with whatever Trillium they have on tap :grin:.

34. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Disciple (308) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

Title should have been 10 great beers you can pair with a lobster roll.

35. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (122) Feb 13, 2018 New York

There are better ways for a lobster roll to be made - but I would still eat the fuck out of the one pictured....inappropriate roll and all.

I'm with everyone here, Gansett would work just fine...as would a super crisp white wine

36. tzieser

Trader

If I was starving, yeah me too. Maybe I just have unnecessarily high standards of lobster rolls from growing up in New England. Very few things piss me off as much as shelling out $15-20 for a lobster roll and getting a mayo sandwich. It's sorta like a New Yorker going to a pizza place out West and being ridiculously disappointed.

37. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (122) Feb 13, 2018 New York

I understand. I visit Boothbay Harbor each summer and go ape for the straight up claw and tail in butter on a soft roll style. Outside of NE you get different sorts, and they can be good, but I can appreciate your stance and your pizza reference

tzieser likes this.
  38. tzieser

Trader

lol thanks. For what it's worth 95% of the time any given lobster roll is delicious. Anything with lobster in it is a pretty difficult thing to fuck up. Even the McLobster is a pretty decent roll for the price (usually around $9). A good pizza is much easier to fuck up, IMO. Damn, I'm hungry.