To shake or not to shake...

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Jos3h2r, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Jos3h2r

Jos3h2r Initiate (60) Apr 7, 2015 Panama

Ok so my ale is right now at 1.017(15 days in the fermenter), OG was 1.063, im using US05, was looking for 1.013 aprox. Ill leave it for 5 more days before taking a new reading.

What methods do you use to help your EG to reach what your aiming for?
    Shaking the fermenter helps?
    Just wait?
    Thank you

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,475) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

What is your expectation of 1.013 based on?

Also, how long has it been fermenting, at what temp, and with what yeast strain? And... what were the grain bill, mash temp, and mash length?

Jos3h2r likes this.
  3. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (206) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

Seems unusual for US-05 to finish that high. Recipe?

Also, have you calibrated your hydrometer in plain water? Or are you using a refractometer?

Maestro0708 and Jos3h2r like this.
  4. Jos3h2r

Well Safale US05 is the yeast strain, my calculations were with a 78-80% of attenuation, thats what it says for that yeast strain, i just made the math, i might be wrong.
    60min mashing, BIAB method, at 152-153F aprox. 10 min mash out at 168F
    Its been fermenting for 15 days now.
    Grain bill was 80% pale ale malt, 5% munich, 10% white wheat, 5% caramel 10L.
    Fermenting at 64-67 F.

About the recipe i was looking for 1.054 OG but i think i boiled more time than i should and ended up with 4.25 galons instead of 5 and higher OG.

I use a refractometer for OG and Hydrometer for FG. But i didnt check it with plain water so im going to so that right now, tx for the tip.

In my experience 2 weeks is not enough for my beer to get to FG i dont know why, most people say 10 12 14 days and they are good to go, for me is more like 3 weeks, maybe im doing something wrong in my brew day, im not sure.

5. Jos3h2r

Maybe my thermometer is not accurate and im mashing at higher temps? I use a digital from thermo pro but is the one with the long wired and a probe, also have one in the kettle but i dont trust that one that much.

What kind of thermometer do you use or recommend?

6. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (206) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

Very possible that your thermometer reads a few degrees high or low which would make you mash out of range and either kill off enzymes or not activate them fully. The type of thermometer doesn't matter much at all. What matters is that you've tested it in both freezing and boiling water to know how far off it is at a wide range of temperatures.

7. VikeMan

When you say that 78-80% is what "it" says for the yeast strain, what is "it?" Anyway, estimated attenuations for strains, absent data on attenuability of the wort (driven by things like grain bill and mash parameters), are silly. Don't believe them.

Using my favorite spreadsheet, which does consider those factors, the predicted FG would be 1.015, which is closer to the 1.017 you're at now. You could well be done, especially if your mash temp was a bit higher than you thought (as you indicated it may have been).

ETA: Regarding your question about shaking, IMO that's never a good idea once fermentation is under way (or finished). And "rousing," i.e. rocking/swirling is rarely necessary. Patience is usually the best answer, IMO.

Maestro0708, billandsuz and Jos3h2r like this.
  8. VikeMan

You can't go wrong with a Thermapen. Accurate as hell, and I've never had one fail. You can (and probably should) test for calibration, but I've not yet had one (or heard of one for that matter) to be out of cal.

Jos3h2r likes this.
  9. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (502) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

How many readings did you take before you assessed it was a true 1017. IT's a good idea to take two if you're not convinced because sometimes you can get a false reading.
    Also, at 3 weeks with a 1063, I'm pretty positive us-05 is done working for you.
    Where you may have gotten the additional push from a shake them up would've been after the initial pitch so that they get a healthy environment with lots of o2 to work it out in. Wouldn't hurt to try giving it a go, but I'm more inclined to say this is what you'll get out of them this time since you over shot our og by that much.

Jos3h2r likes this.
  10. Jos3h2r

Ahhhhh ok ok, "it" is what i read about aprox attenuation % for the safale us05, i was assuming that it will drop 78-80%, but yeah it will depend a lot of my mashing temps. I wasnt so worried about this % since i bottled a beer to early. I dont like opening the fermenter during fermentation and my old fermenter was a bucket with no spigot to take samples, i bought a new one and now im able to take samples andni was using that % as a reference.
    Ill look for the thermapen, leave the other one just for bbq lol.
    MostlyNorwegian, this is the first sample, ill take a new one on monday and see if it drops or just stayed at 1017, if it doesnt move i think i should bottle. I might be mashing higher that i was suppose to.

Tx again for all the advices and comments.

11. Jos3h2r

Btw is that spreadsheet something you made? Buy? Is there any way to have access to it or is just for personal reference?

12. VikeMan

It's free. The most recent thread, including download links, is -> here <-.

Jos3h2r likes this.
  13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,761) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

This discussion really has me scratching my head in thought. I use US-05 a lot. For example. I used in last year seven times for a variety of beer styles. This yeast always reaches final gravity in 7 days (or less) even for my higher gravity beers (e.g., DIPA). I am uncertain why your fermentations are taking so long.

One question: do you rehydrate when you use US-05? I always rehydrate when using dry yeast.

Cheers!

dmtaylor and Jos3h2r like this.
  14. Jos3h2r

Hi. Yeah i think the main reason why i leave it in the fermenter for 3 weeks is because as i said, i dont like opening the fermenter to take a sample, the bucket i used before, i feel like im gonna ruin it lol, crazy me. Now i have a new fermenter where i can take samples easier and im doing it this way now. Maybe my beer was done 5 days ago and i didnt know, activity in the airlock drop since day 9 tbh. But when i used the bucket i was afraid that my beer was not done so i just leave it for 3 weeks just in case. I think that will change now.

I used to rehydrated my yeast, i dont do it anymore, now i pitch it dry on top of the wort, give it a good swirl and thats working good so far, dont think thats a problem because i see activity as soon as 4 or 6 hours after pitching.

15. Jos3h2r

Ok i just check my Hydrometer and in regular tap water the reading is 1.002 so i think im off by 0.002. Then i think my real OG should be 1.015 and that might be the end of fermentation? I will check again on monday and then bottle.

Do you think i should replace the hydrometer or just work with the readings im getting and adjust it?

16. VikeMan

The error should be pretty constant, so either option is viable.

Jos3h2r likes this.
  17. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,285) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

It's always nice to have two of them if one gets dropped and breaks on brew day. They are not that expensive, but it's your choice whether to get a new one or live with the old.

Jos3h2r likes this.
  18. Jos3h2r

Thats a great idea. Ill save this one as a backup and get a new one. Yeah they are not expensive.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  19. Bryan12345

Bryan12345 Devotee (497) Mar 17, 2016 Texas

I shake it.

Shake it.

Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

chavinparty and Jos3h2r like this.