Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Vermont tips

Discussion in 'New England' started by jamesi3ond, Jun 18, 2017.

1. jamesi3ond

jamesi3ond Initiate (123) Aug 27, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

spending a week at a farmhouse in the Northeast Kingdom in a few weeks and hoping for some beer tips. We'll be about 30 minutes from Hill Farmstead and 15 from Parker Pie, so will stop there - and in Stowe on the way up to pick up at Alchemist - but any other joints we should check out?

I've got the family with me so can't spend all my time tracking down beer, but good restaurants with good lists or good shops near, say, Ben and Jerry's or something we might hit up generally...

Looking for shops or restaurants with decent tap/bottle lists, and if there's anything I need to know about the best days or times to stop by Alchemist or HF, and where I might find Lawson's - doesn't seem to be delivered anywhere as far north as we'll be...

2. woodfinish

woodfinish Aspirant (203) Aug 24, 2005 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Ben & Jerry's is very close to downtown Waterbury, where you'll find great lists at Prohibition Pig, Blackback & The Reservoir. Good food at each as well. The Craft Beer Cellar there has a great retail selection, including regular drops of Sip & other sought-afters.

Many previous threads here on good places to hit in VT, of course.

sosbombs, yossle and jamesi3ond like this.
  3. Lone_Freighter

Lone_Freighter Poo-Bah (5,069) Jun 4, 2017 Vermont

Kingdom Taproom in St Johnsbury is pretty legit.

4. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,417) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

30 minutes North/west/east/south of Hill Farmstead?

As mentioned above, Kingdom Taproom in St. J is one of the few craft places in the area. Should be fairly close. Decent food too. Fine for kids, but not totally designed for it. They have some food options kids would like though.

Dependent on which direction you will be staying, you can get on I93 and pop over the border into NH and Littleton has some options. Schilling is a great spot for food and beers. They brew lagers both traditional and a few new takes. Also, for family fun there is Chutter's candy shop. Has Guinness world record longest candy counter. Pretty interesting stop for anyone.

If you are north, Kingdom Brewing is in Newport. They have food and make some pretty decent brews that don't get much distro or discussion. I think they are only Thurs-Sat.

Lost Nation may be close to where you are staying. Great spot for food and some brews. Has a large outdoor seating area.

If you are near Burke/Lyndonville area the Kingdom Trails is a great spot to go for a family bike ride. They have trails for any level of bike rider. Rentals available.

If you are closer to Jay Peak, they have a lot of summer activities including an indoor water slide park.

As others above have mentioned, most of the beer will be centered around Waterbury, Stowe, Burlington.

Lone_Freighter and jamesi3ond like this.
  5. jhavs

I just noticed another spot in that area. Next Trick brewing in West Burke. I have not been or tried any of their brews. May be worth checking out.
    http://www.nexttrickbrewing.com/

Lone_Freighter likes this.
  6. jamesi3ond

Beer Trader

Thanks, folks - this is super helpful.

I know - admittedly a bit lazy on my part, though in my defense a lot of threads seem a couple years old so figured I'd check in on any new info.

30 mins north - and all these tips are much appreciated. Was hoping to ask about mountain biking but wasn't sure if this was the right venue. If you have any tips on swimming holes where we could take a toddler, let me know.

One last thing: would be great to be able to grab cans of great NEIPAs. Besides Alchemist, where should I stop (that won't entail waiting in line for hours)?

Lone_Freighter and jhavs like this.
  7. jhavs

The biking is world class at Kingdom Trails:
    http://kingdomtrails.org/trails/mountain-bike-trails/

Are you coming up I91 or across from upstate NY?

If you are heading to Alchemist. You can stop in Waterbury first and hit the Craft Beer Cellar there. They have most of the VT distributed beers and have a helpful staff. Can grab lunch and a brew at one of the big Waterbury pubs. Near the Alchemist, you can stop at Stowe Beverage https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17640/?view=ratings
    They get all the good stuff and you will find plenty if you don't want to make a stop in Waterbury.

If heading up I91 you can stop in WRJ and hit River Roost and the Crowler Pit at Big Fatty's (in the same parking lot).

Here are some swimming hole ideas, not sure which would be closest:
    http://www.swimmingholes.org/ARTICLE_VTSWIM.html

I've been to Bristol Falls and Jeff Falls. I think they would be fine with a toddler. I went a few years ago, so make sure to research that they are still good spots.

If you want more of a sandy beach lake type swimming spot. These are all great:
    http://www.vtliving.com/beaches/northeastkingdom/

8. jamesi3ond

Beer Trader

Thanks so much. This is great. We're flying into Burlington and driving over from there (this toddler would be a nightmare on the 6 hour drive from NYC)

jhavs and Lone_Freighter like this.
  9. Lone_Freighter

I don't see it as "lazy" because stores, restaurants and breweries are constantly changing. On top of it, you have a toddler, so I get it. So, like you said "a lot of threads seem a couple years old." You asked a legit question and we give you a legit answer, up to date.

And props to @jhavs for continuing to add to this list extremely well! Pretty much agree with everything he said.

Also, if you find yourself going between Morrisville and Burlington, I've been digging on Ten Bends Beer (Hyde Park, Vermont). I haven't been to their brewery yet, as I usually have some buddies that go there and bring back stuff but Wolfmother, in my opinion, was a great English styled barleywine. Their rotating DIPA series has been well done, too.

Good Measure, though out of Northfield, they send their beers to the Burlington area and elsewhere throughout Northern Vermont I think are quite impressive.

What Ales You? is Burlington's greatest little hidden gem that many don't seem to know about just yet. But not a place to take a toddler, though (figured I'd mention at the very least).

sosbombs, Sip404, jhavs and 1 other person like this.
  10. jhavs

No problem! Have fun!

11. vtcraft

vtcraft Aspirant (218) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Flying into Burlington hit healthy living on way to 89, maybe 5 min out of the way. Look for frost (lush, plush) foley bros Burlington beer and ask the beer guys what is fresh and good. Check their site for info on sip and heady deliveries. Wife and kids can get snacks/food while you do important shopping. lost nation is also a good stop b/t alchemist and hillfarmstread
    Mountain biking= kingdom trails, Stowe cash hill and Perez hill in Waterbury are all good options their is good riding in jay peak area but You would have to check with local shop.

jamesi3ond likes this.
  12. jamesi3ond

Beer Trader

Just saw this in old thread. Is this the kind of stuff I might find at healthy living? (Besides second fiddle, which other folks said might be brewery only?)

13. debokle

debokle Initiate (122) Feb 20, 2017 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

If you don't mind me asking, what town will you be staying in? I'm from Greensboro/East Craftsbury. Happy to put together a list of suggestions in terms of things to do if you want.

yossle, jhavs and jamesi3ond like this.
  14. jamesi3ond

Beer Trader

Thanks! We're in Irasburg. Let me know what you think we should get up to (two couples with a pair of under-4s, so nothing too adventurous - though the dads are getting away for one day of mountain biking)

jhavs likes this.
  15. vtcraft

vtcraft Aspirant (218) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

healthy living = stuff from foley brothers, frost, lost nation, zero gravity, heady, sip, supper session ( check delivery info on last three. + good selection of their stuff that may or maybe "rare " in New York. Sure I'm missing a few breweries too.. you could also go to the bevi in winooski for larger bust faster moving selection

Lone_Freighter, jhavs and jamesi3ond like this.
  16. PhineasSwann

PhineasSwann Initiate (116) Dec 28, 2016 Vermont

Have fun! We love this part of Vermont. I would echo Kingdom as a good stop. They just expanded their tasting area this spring. If you make it all the way across to St. Albans, 14th Star is a great stop as well. Wonderful BBQ place next-door that serve food at their tasting room.

jamesi3ond likes this.
  17. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (192) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Not a whole lot to add on the bar/brewery angle. But you'll be about 15 miles from Lake Willoughby, which is can't miss in my opinion when it comes to best-of natural beauty in Vermont. There's a nice little restaurant called Willoughvale right next to the water.

Newport Ciderhouse had some nice drafts last time I was up that way as well.

jamesi3ond and OffTrail like this.
  18. jamesi3ond

Beer Trader

Seeing if you've got any recommendations, debokle. But also wondering if anyone knows of a working farm that has a restaurant anywhere near-ish to Irasburg? We've got kids with us, so they'll want to see some animals, but it'd be nice to be able to grab some chow while we're there.

19. HopsDubosc

Beer Trader

The thing about that area of Vermont is most of the working farms are pretty damned hardscrabble. My parents live in the NEK and I can't think of a single option up that way. Shelburne Farms is magnificent, but it's a bit of a hike from your home base.

(I'm not sure how you're coming up from NY, but if you do route 4 to 22A N, you could hit Shelburne on Route 7 before getting on the Interstate (or Route 15) towards Irasburg)

http://www.shelburnefarms.org/staydine/inn-restaurant
    http://www.shelburnefarms.org/node/58

OffTrail, jamesi3ond and jhavs like this.
  20. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Aspirant (201) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

What your range on how far you're willing to drive? Lots of good options, but most of them will be at least an hour from you.

21. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (237) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

August 7-14 is Open Farms Day all over VT but sounds like too late for you. One farm I like to visit is the Huard Goat Farm in Craftsbury, and Boston Post Rd. Creamery in Enosburgh. They have ice cream, cheese, caramel, and stuff for picnics. Local farmers markets in nearby towns are fun for families -their is a website that lists them all. Shelburne Farms really does have everything you seek, though, especially for families with young kids.

#21 duchessedubourg, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  22. Lone_Freighter

http://vermontpieandpastacompany.com/

I haven't been here in a while as it's kinda a drive for me and the one and only time I was in here, I didn't mind this place, if any of you find yourself in the Derby area.

23. Grimpus

Grimpus Initiate (110) May 28, 2017 Connecticut

Sorry for commandeering this thread, but like OP I'll be visiting Northeast VT (staying in Westmore on Lake Willoughby for a week) and am looking for the best way to plan picking up some tasty beverages.

I'll be coming up from CT, taking 91 all the way. Would it make sense to take a detour to Waterbury/Stowe on the way to try to pick up a case of Focal/Heady/Maybe something else? Or do you think there will be stores near Lake Willoughby that will have decent selections? Also, similar to OP, I'll have a toddler and my wife who is 4 months pregnant with me, so time spent at breweries and bars will be very limited. Mainly looking for beers I can sip on at the lake or bring home - and would also be interested in any other 'wholesome' activities we can do in the area that my wife and daughter would enjoy.

Thanks!

jhavs likes this.
  24. jhavs

Stop in White River Junction and grab some growlers at River Roost and Crowlers/Cans/Bottles at the Big Fatty's store (in same parking lot, store on right, restaurant on left). Both just a few minutes off of I91.
    The Coop in town has a good selection too. SoS by the case when delivered (I think Mondays).
    You will find Foley Brothers, Frost, Lost Nation, Burlington Beer Co., Good Measure, Upper Pass and similar at both of these locations.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/44112/
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/46219/
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33834/?view=ratings

You will be about 20 miles from Hill Farmstead. Beautiful spot even if wife won't be partaking. Lots of space for toddler to run around outside on a nice day.
    About 10 miles from Parker Pie. Great taps, food, and a shop that sells pretty good beer.
    Kingdom Brewing is about 25 miles north.

If you are on the lake, that should be enough wholesome activity! Boating, fishing, sitting, swimming.

Waterbury/Stowe would be a bit out of the way, if you don't want heady/etc. specifically you can get great stuff on your way or near where you will be.

jamesi3ond and Grimpus like this.
  25. Grimpus

Grimpus Initiate (110) May 28, 2017 Connecticut

This is awesome! Thanks for the advice - I definitely think my wife would check out Hill Farmstead and Parker Pies even though she isn't partaking in libations at the moment.

Yes, I think any excursions will be few and far between. I want to take as little time away from the water as I can.

That's good to hear. I've had Heady and Focal Banger, and while they're both great, I can live without them this time around. Any chance of me finding anything from Fiddlehead on that side of the state, or is it probably not in the cards this go-around?

Thanks again!

jhavs likes this.
  26. jhavs

They get cans of Second Fiddle at Big Fatty's sporadically. They have Second Fiddle and regular Fiddlehead on tap at their restaurant from time to time. Almost always regular IPA (had yesterday).

You should be able to find Fiddlehead IPA on tap all over the place. One of my go-to's at not craft centric restaurants.

Lone_Freighter and Grimpus like this.
  27. HopsDubosc

Beer Trader

@jhavs always has good VT advice (especially for NHer!) If you wanted to take a slight detour through Danville VT you could get growlers filled at Barrel to Bottle, and Red Barn Brewing is idyllic as well, and totally family friendly with live music on Saturday. Have fun! Willoughby is a blast!

jhavs and Grimpus like this.
  28. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (182) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Did the Willoughby to HF drive about a month ago. Very easy ~40-45 minute drive, even without cell service until you hit Barton/Glover.

Grimpus likes this.
  29. jhavs

Live a mile from the border. Been trying to explore the NH scene a bit more, but always end up in VT. Too much good stuff!

30. jamesi3ond

Beer Trader

@jhavs with great advice again.

Only things I might add:

-Parker Pie is great for the kiddo too - they have some green space in back with some beat up toys that ours went wild for...and great taps.

-That field at HF is also clutch for the kiddo. Lotta room to run around.

-If you want to try another lake, give Crystal Lake State Park a shot - great little beach and playground.

-Skip Bread & Puppet. We thought - hey, it's an old-school hippie puppet show! It'll be wild and whimsical and our kid will love it! - instead it was somber and kind of a bummer and we got yelled at because our daughter was talking. Probably should have done some research before we hit that one up.

Grimpus and jhavs like this.
  31. HopsDubosc

Beer Trader

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.